• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camping vdlp

sean j.j evans

contemplating vdlp in 2008. have done camino frances and portuguese route but can only walk 15kms per day due to ill health and disability. distances between beds seem a bit too far for me so am considering carrying my ultralite tent, again. any suggestions?

many thanks.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sean, at first sight taking a tent might make the VdlP viable for you. It is true that much of the route is in remote areas where camping would ostensibly be possible assuming permissions could be obtained where necessary. However what might be a greater consideration are those stages which are very demanding involving steep ascents or prolonged up hill walking sometimes for many kms. There are also stages where water and provisions have to be carried for the entire day as there are no shops or bars. I would suggest a detailed review of both the Alison Raju guide and the Pila Pala Press guide - the latter having illustrations of the ascents/descents stage by stage.

The VdlP is demanding and not for the faint hearted but conversely it has many rewards. Given your boundaries I think you need to consider the challenges very carefully.

But - good luck researching and planning.

John

Hi Sean,
You are a very experienced pilgrim and I'm sorry that you are limited regarding the distance you can go each day. Having read the other post regarding your route I can see that there are logistical problems this time. However from what you have said, I stand in admiration of your courage in undertaking another pilgrimage - mant 'fit' people would not even contemplate what you are about to undertake.

Buen Camino, Bon Courage!

Brendan

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
cheers for replies and encouragement! have ordered one book just to start the brain cells. as a pensioner will probably not be a "purist" if the going gets too rough but will calmly avail myself of passing bullock carts, buses tubes taxis et al! after all, its the journey itself that counts as much as the method of making it, sez me!

yours aye,
sean.

ps any knowledge of availability of meths/resealable gas cartridges for stoves? :

As John said, always think of carrying enough water!. On summer it's very, very hot. So, you would need a lot of water (may be three-four litres). In my opinion try to walk on spring to reduce the water you would have to carry.

Where you decide to sleep in your tent, it's possible there's no water. Ask about before leaving previous towns.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

hola y gracias!

intend to buy a water'flter and purifier to widen supply of sources. Still waiting for someone to tell me of availability of methylated spirits for Trangia stove and or resealable gas canisters.

have read Pili Pala press book on VDLP and small thought went slithering across my mind. SNAKES!!

aS I COULD just be sleeping on ground with mat and sleeping bag, possibly bivvy, any precautions or advice on this matter.

Adios.

sean.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The water in Spain is good but if you were to choose to drink from "non-potable" sources there are much lighter options than a filter. A great one is Aquamira, two small vials that one adds 7 drops of one vial then 7 drops of the other little vial, into one vial's cap, wait then drop into the water, wait and its is purified. A filter weighs around a pound or slightly less and the aquamira drops weigh 2 ounces for about 30 gallons of drinkable water:
http://www.aquamira.com/consumer/aquami ... atment-2oz

Snakes? I was not aware that Europe had poisonous snakes at all, or at least not deadly ones. But even so, do not be so afraid of them because i can assure you that they are likely more afraid of you than you are of them-you are much bigger and they can't eat you! If it remains problematic for you, consider one of the new hiker's hammocks from Hennessey or Speer, or some other manufacturer, so long as you keep its weight around the 2 pound limit, including hammock, lines, tree straps, mosquito screen, sylnylon top tarp.
http://www.hennessyhammock.com/
http://www.speerhammocks.com/
They require special attention in colder weather

sean j.j evans said:
hola y gracias!

intend to buy a water'flter and purifier to widen supply of sources. Still waiting for someone to tell me of availability of methylated spirits for Trangia stove and or resealable gas canisters.

have read Pili Pala press book on VDLP and small thought went slithering across my mind. SNAKES!!

aS I COULD just be sleeping on ground with mat and sleeping bag, possibly bivvy, any precautions or advice on this matter.

Adios.

sean.

Two more suggestions:
Alcohol. The trangia is a great little stove that boils a pint of water fairly quickly, 9 minutes or so, depending upon the conditions, and is quite miserly in its DENATURED ALCOHOL consumption so will last considerably. I would suspect that the alcohol is readily available in most hardware stores in Spain. I prefer it over the cannister stove which is faster but heavier as its fuel is in a metal canister that you must lug around empty and full.

Another shelter choice is using a good poncho for raingear and one that also doubles as a tarp to put over you if it rains. My choice would be an Integral Designs Silponcho:
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_ ... cttypeid=1
It is made in Canada by one of the most innovative hiking and climbing product companies i have ever seen. I have used mine now for about 5 years now, even slept upon half and the other half rolled over on top of me on occasion and it doesn't even have a hole yet.

My partner and I did the Camino de Frances last year and took a trangia stove. Be warned that despite putting the stove in our hold luggage the burner was confiscated (i.e. put in the bin) by security at Liverpool airport as it had 'been used and therefore was a fire risk'! We were doing the last 500km so started in Burgos - after much searching we found a shop selling trangia sets but no burner and it was the same tale at other towns. We improvised with a tin can - too slow! The only good news I have for you is that we did find meths - called alcohol de quemar (something like that - try google). On our many visits to outdoor shops in Spain we saw lots of gas canisters - check a climbing or hiking website for info re Spain. I would also check with the airport to ensure your stove is not seen as a fire risk even without the canisters. :?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
sean j.j evans said:
contemplating vdlp in 2008. have done camino frances and portuguese route but can only walk 15kms per day due to ill health and disability. distances between beds seem a bit too far for me so am considering carrying my ultralite tent, again. any suggestions?

many thanks.

Hi Sean,

When ist exactly your Plan in 2008?

Greetings...

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back