• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping

gcb2010

Do you think it would be possible to bring a tent and try to stealth-camp while walking the stages between Lisbon and Porto? Also what kind of backpack do y'all recommend?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is a question that has brought strong reactions in the past, the strongest reactions from those against.

It is also illegal to camp outside campsites in Spain - but, for me, the Caminos are a special place. I have met quite a few 'stealth' campers over the years and not one has told me of encountering any problems camping.

What I find interesting is that those wild camping are always so relaxed - perhaps from their mental attitude or/and as they don't have to keep to any schedule of reaching a certain place at a certain time. They just seem to stroll along, enjoying what is presented to them, knowing that they can stop when they wish - takes the edge off doesn't it.

The unwritten rules of wild camping need to be remembered of course. Any farmer would be rather upset were he/she to find a tent on top of a growing crop, or campsite litter left behind, but I think that wild campers tend to be naturally careful of environment and take care to leave their stopping place as it was before they stopped.

Personally - and this is only my opinion - I am all for it.

The Camino Frances is the route along the Field of Stars, the Milky Way. In France there is the term 'Belle Etoile' - beautiful star. It is also slang for sleeping outdoors - to sleep under those stars :wink:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Br. David said:
It is also illegal to camp outside campsites in Spain...(but)...Personally ... I am all for it.

Rather surprising statement, considering it's comming from a churchman. :shock:

And by the way, the expression ''dormir à la belle étoile'' is not slang in French.

Crikey! - bit of a rude response don't you think? :shock:

Any particular reason?

My wild camping opinion is to do with the Camino Frances, not the whole of Spain. Many pilgrims do it, they enjoy it and I believe that they cause no harm. If you disagree I am sure you could do it without being rude, don't you think?

As for dormir à la belle étoile. I said that belle etoile was slang for sleeping out under the stars, which it is. Belle Etoile means beautiful star .. - therefore to use it as 'sleeping out doors' is obviously slang, as they don't say 'dormir à la belle étoile' they say, in answer to the question, with a grin 'a belle etoile' - well, they do in Department 16 I've found.

Please do give your own opinions Canuck, but please try to do it without making it an attack or by being rude. Thank you. :wink:

I consider myself a guest on the caminos, and try to act like a good guest. If the host says "no camping" I am not comfortable overriding his request. Chacun a son gout.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
While most Canadians would regard the term Canuck with puzzlement (it ceased having much currency by the 1970s), Br David may not be aware that there are regions where it is considered to be a very discourteous and insulting term for those of French Canadian origin.

oursonpolaire said:
While most Canadians would regard the term Canuck with puzzlement (it ceased having much currency by the 1970s), Br David may not be aware that there are regions where it is considered to be a very discourteous and insulting term for those of French Canadian origin.

I agree absolutely and would never call a Canadian Canuck - I don't even know what it means! :shock:

The comment I responded to was from a member whose name is Canuck (see above) :wink:

ah!! I see your point. He's likely using it in what the academics call self-referential ludic discourse! One of my colleagues informs me, since we're tangenting, that "dormir à la belle étoile" was used in her campground counsellor days in a way which... had a double meaning. I've been listening to franco-ontarian and québécois slang for decades and I had no idea.

Canuck is used in parts of New England as a disparaging term for one of French Canadian origin. A fellow forum-user politely reminded me that it is also the name of a west coast hockey team!

I suppose it all depends which bar one frequents. I think I will retire from this tangent and look for a café in some sunny plaza in Navarre and order myself a fino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I must admit, I wish I had never answered the first question!

I quite like the 'other meaning' you mention .... though confusion could arise if the intended turned up with a tent and binoculars ...

I suppose that if this was an Australian forum I could refer to myself as Pom .. but if a Canadian forum I would never refer to myself as General Wolfe :shock: ( in my schooling I was told what a great hero he was at Quebec - then decades later in Aix en Provence I met a Canadian flute player - crikey! she was good - who told me what a great murderer he was at Quebec)

Agree with you, I also will go search for the corkscrew.

all the best

gcb2010 said:
Do you think it would be possible to bring a tent and try to stealth-camp while walking the stages between Lisbon and Porto? Also what kind of backpack do y'all recommend?

YES. If you're a backpacker, it should be a very pleasant experience. If you're a virgin camper, learn the "rules" as you proceed and you'll also have a fab time.

Br. David said:
This is a question that has brought strong reactions in the past, the strongest reactions from those against.

It is also illegal to camp outside campsites in Spain - but, for me, the Caminos are a special place. I have met quite a few 'stealth' campers over the years and not one has told me of encountering any problems camping.

What I find interesting is that those wild camping are always so relaxed - perhaps from their mental attitude or/and as they don't have to keep to any schedule of reaching a certain place at a certain time. They just seem to stroll along, enjoying what is presented to them, knowing that they can stop when they wish - takes the edge off doesn't it.

The unwritten rules of wild camping need to be remembered of course. Any farmer would be rather upset were he/she to find a tent on top of a growing crop, or campsite litter left behind, but I think that wild campers tend to be naturally careful of environment and take care to leave their stopping place as it was before they stopped.

Personally - and this is only my opinion - I am all for it.

The Camino Frances is the route along the Field of Stars, the Milky Way. In France there is the term 'Belle Etoile' - beautiful star. It is also slang for sleeping outdoors - to sleep under those stars :wink:

Absolutely brilliant post and right on the ball!!

I would never have considered being so gracious to the ignorant masses that are against wild camping.

To re-iterate....... Backpackers are not the ones dumping rubbish or destroying the environment !!
That was particularly evident, as we walked the VdlP many moons ago. At times we carried our rubbish with us all day. Unlike the albergue hoppers, who dropped their rubbish as they walked.

In true American.Have a Nice Day, lol.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe your attitude comes from your attitude:

It would appear that the regular posters are trying to hide the real Spain!!

The locals are solely interested in your money. Occasionally, you will meet helpful and genuinely friendly people. sometimes you will be treated as a human and given the respect you deserve. But on the whole, as a pilgrim you need to be cold and calculating when dealing with the Spanish. Don't be fooled by the fake smiles, etc. Hospitalarios are not always sweet as pie either, but that's another story!

Just in case any of you think that I'm dellusional, let me give some examples that we encountered on our Camino - I am so used to the constant dishonesty, that it doesn't even surprise me anymore!
BTW, I've lived in Spain for 7 years and my OH is Spanish.

Taxi driver from Seville airport to hotel tried to rip us off by 15 euros. Obviously, we only paid him 20 euros and not the 35 euros that he wanted.
Ripped off by barman in Guillena - overcharged for bocadillo. rude and ignorant to the core. Made us wait to be served and then threw the bocadillo at us. We got smart after that!! I should also stress that these people are not over worked (such a scenario doesn't exist in Spain).

After these events, in most bars and restaurants, we asked the price of everything before ordering.
If we didn't ask, we would most certainly be charged tourist prices.

In addition, it is very common to give back the incorrect change.

Also, be wary of establishments that say "special pilgrim prices". If anything you will be charged more.

So people, toughen up and get real.

As beautiful as The Camino might be, as a pilgrim you are a walking cash machine, with everyone wanting that cash.

John.

falcon269 said:
Maybe your attitude comes from your attitude:

It would appear that the regular posters are trying to hide the real Spain!!

The locals are solely interested in your money. ....

So people, toughen up and get real.

As beautiful as The Camino might be, as a pilgrim you are a walking cash machine, with everyone wanting that cash.

John.

I found the local people generous and helpful.
The whole trip was cheaper than a fortnight in Rome.
And people that can afford a ten week holiday are quite well off.

PS - virtue is its own reward. and v.v.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back