Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Camping

Kulinarykila

Has anyone ever camped along the Le Puy route? I am debating on bringing my tent, mostly so I can save a few euros here and there. I am leaving Le Puy on August 20th.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

e.s.bateman

Actually, my husband and I are leaving Le Puy on August 22 or 23, and we're going to be camping at least part of the time. I've walked the Camino Frances before, and I slept in albergues much of the time, but I slept outside without a tent for at least 12 days, and I found that I preferred sleeping outside as I got closer to Santiago.

Based on my previous experience, you don't need a tent (in June and July), but we are bringing a tent, since we will be going later in the year, and it is nice to have some shelter. We plan to just set it up several feet to the side of the path in clean area, prefably on the outskirts of a small town. When I slept outside before, I never felt that I was in danger, well... except for one time when someone was using a tractor with a shovel near us at 1 AM. They started driving down the road right next to where we were trying to sleep. But I wasn't really in danger, it just seemed that we were witnessing some kind of odd activity that we probably shouldn't be witnessing.

My one concern is I will be missing out on some of the contact with other pilgrims if we are not staying in gites/albergues, so I do still want to stay in albergues as well. Also, the practical aspect of not being able to shower easily is good incentive to stay in an albergue at least half the time or pay them a Euro or two to be able to use their shower. So I am going to be mindful of the need to meet other pilgrims and try to balance it with the benefits of saving money and the comforts of being in a tent.

--Elissa

Camino Portugués Digital Guide Image
I update my digital guides frequently, for FREE for all purchases up to one year!
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
S

Sojourner47

Welcome to the forum Elissa - please keep us posted about your camping experiences.

Kulinarykila

Thanks everyone for all the useful information. Elissa hopefully I will see you and your husband on the chemin. I will be taking my sweet time since I have about 11 weeks to finish and get my butt back to Paris.

Geoff

kaylfrazer

Year of past OR future Camino
Roncesvalle-SDC (2001), SJPP-SDC(2003), Le Puy - SJPP (2011)
Wow Randy.. what fabulous bikes. You must have overtaken me (I left Le Puy on foot May 31) sometime in your first few days .. wish I had seen you go past!
Kay

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads