• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping

Kulinarykila

Has anyone ever camped along the Le Puy route? I am debating on bringing my tent, mostly so I can save a few euros here and there. I am leaving Le Puy on August 20th.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Actually, my husband and I are leaving Le Puy on August 22 or 23, and we're going to be camping at least part of the time. I've walked the Camino Frances before, and I slept in albergues much of the time, but I slept outside without a tent for at least 12 days, and I found that I preferred sleeping outside as I got closer to Santiago.

Based on my previous experience, you don't need a tent (in June and July), but we are bringing a tent, since we will be going later in the year, and it is nice to have some shelter. We plan to just set it up several feet to the side of the path in clean area, prefably on the outskirts of a small town. When I slept outside before, I never felt that I was in danger, well... except for one time when someone was using a tractor with a shovel near us at 1 AM. They started driving down the road right next to where we were trying to sleep. But I wasn't really in danger, it just seemed that we were witnessing some kind of odd activity that we probably shouldn't be witnessing.

My one concern is I will be missing out on some of the contact with other pilgrims if we are not staying in gites/albergues, so I do still want to stay in albergues as well. Also, the practical aspect of not being able to shower easily is good incentive to stay in an albergue at least half the time or pay them a Euro or two to be able to use their shower. So I am going to be mindful of the need to meet other pilgrims and try to balance it with the benefits of saving money and the comforts of being in a tent.

--Elissa

Welcome to the forum Elissa - please keep us posted about your camping experiences.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks everyone for all the useful information. Elissa hopefully I will see you and your husband on the chemin. I will be taking my sweet time since I have about 11 weeks to finish and get my butt back to Paris.

Geoff

Wow Randy.. what fabulous bikes. You must have overtaken me (I left Le Puy on foot May 31) sometime in your first few days .. wish I had seen you go past!
Kay

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back