Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping ?

Heartsong Willow

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria - Santiago (2014), Tui - Santiago (2018), Primitivo (Sept 2019)
Hello friends and my apologies if this is a overly discussed subject. I just want to make sure I have any updates on potential legal camping options on the Primitivo. I have a super lightweight set up and am comfortable in inclement weather. It sounds like I won’t have much trouble finding a place to settle in the for the night during a later Sept Primitivo, but, frankly, I LIKE camping and would look for the occasional opportunity.
Thx for weighing in!,
Willow

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello friends and my apologies if this is a overly discussed subject. I just want to make sure I have any updates on potential legal camping options on the Primitivo. I have a super lightweight set up and am comfortable in inclement weather. It sounds like I won’t have much trouble finding a place to settle in the for the night during a later Sept Primitivo, but, frankly, I LIKE camping and would look for the occasional opportunity.
Thx for weighing in!,
Willow

I had researched this issue about three years ago, and it is hard to sort the myths from the speculations, from the facts. One cite that I found seemed to be a better summation of what the legal statutes say, then a lot of information that is bounding around.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wild camping in Spain is complicated. There is a “mother law” Article 46.1 of the order for July 28th which states that:
“Apart from tourist camp sites no more than three tents of caravans may be placed at the same location, nor should there be more then 10 campers, nor may the camp be in place for more than three days. Tents and (caravans) within 500 meters of each other are considered to be part of the same group.”
The law also states that it is prohibited to free camp within 200 meters of the sea, within a few kilometers of military installations, within a few kilometers of a regular camp site, and in protected areas like national parks, natural parks, bird sanctuaries called ‘ZEPA’s, (Zona Excepcional de Protección de Avifauna), etc.
However, there is the new law under the Spanish Constitution of 1978, which created seventeen ‘autonomous regions’ each with considerable, though varying, powers to make their own legal codes with their own territory.

Under these new laws, wild camping in Spain is COMPLETELY PROHIBITED in: Andalucía, Aragón, Asturias, Extremadura, Galicia, Navarra, Valencia. These areas have their own laws/permit requirements for wild camping: Cantabria, Murcia, La Rioja.

These areas fall under national rules and wild camping IS permitted: Basque Country, Cataluña, Madrid, Castilla y León, Castilla la Mancha. But in these areas you still can’t camp near the beach, in national parks, protected areas, etc. Also, a lot of the land is privately owned, so you’d have a hard time finding anywhere that would even fall into the permitted wild camping areas.

You can read more about wild camping in Spain here. In the linked article, it says that the fine for illegal camping is 30 euros per square meter of space used, per day. However, this link says that the fine is up to 5000 euros!

If you are just looking for a place to camp for free but not necessarily wild, this article has recommendations.
I’d avoid making a fire while wild camping in Spain. The locals might turn a blind eye to wild campers in some areas, but the risk of forest fire is very real and the fire will likely quickly attract police!"

Thx for the time to put this response together. I am def not interested in camping illegally and would be happy to pay if I can find a place to do so. I see wild camping COULD be an option but would need to make sure I am in an area that falls under that title. I’ll research that then - THX!

ADD: Fires = Bad Idea in my book and specifically for this trail.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some albergues might let you stay in their garden, you can always ask.
I know an albergue like this in Ferreira, 27 kms after Lugo..... :cool:

Thanks Thomas!
After exploring/contemplating it further, I think I’ll just leave the rainfly behind and trust there will always be a place to bunk out even without preplanning stages and not making reservations, etc.

Gratefully,
Willow

Thx for weighing in!,
Willow
Hiya, I walked the primitivo sept/October and wished, at times...I'd taken my tent. If you're worried, just ask and you'll be accommodated! Otherwise pitch late and leave early! Some truly wonderful camping vistas. Even if it rains, you won't be cold. You'll be wise enough to know, no camp fires!! I'm contemplating the la lana in a couple of weeks, by bike. I don't need my tent, but I fancy a few setting sunsets...on my tod. Braw!👌🏻. Enjoy your Camino. Wild

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Thomas!
After exploring/contemplating it further, I think I’ll just leave the rainfly behind and trust there will always be a place to bunk out even without preplanning stages and not making reservations, etc.

Gratefully,
Willow
@Heartsong Willow a good decision IMO ;). Members will know I have frequently advocated against wild-camping along the Caminos. The legalities, practicalities and the risk to local goodwill when persons of little experience or sense camp where they will have been my main reasons. That said I've spent nights in "Barns", "sheds", Church porches and even an Horreos (not recommended). I never carry a tent but I have never gone without shelter. Buen Camino!!

I think it would be incredible to have a legit camping option on the camino but certainly understand the limitations and accommodations that would have to be made by the earth and the people to make that happen. So, I’ll just tuck in most likely. Thanks for your enthusiasm Wildrover and your ‘word to the wise” Tincantinker.

Here’s a side question, and I won’t create a new thread as some of you have your pulse on the forum ebbs and flows and are reading each of these posts. But, have any of you known hikers who purposefully walked the Camino into or through the night? Not my plan, just a wondering as some of the best hiking and exploring I’ve done has been at night when the moon is bright.

I think it would be incredible to have a legit camping option on the camino but certainly understand the limitations and accommodations that would have to be made by the earth and the people to make that happen. So, I’ll just tuck in most likely. Thanks for your enthusiasm Wildrover and your ‘word to the wise” Tincantinker.

Here’s a side question, and I won’t create a new thread as some of you have your pulse on the forum ebbs and flows and are reading each of these posts. But, have any of you known hikers who purposefully walked the Camino into or through the night? Not my plan, just a wondering as some of the best hiking and exploring I’ve done has been at night when the moon is bright.
Hi, I was wondering how you fared with camping on the primitivo. I spent 7 weeks in Spain, on my bike from mid October. I wild camped a fair bit and never really got any bad vibes from locals or farmers. I'm contemplating the primitivo, by bike in April and I'd love to do some camping? Any night walking, I've done, has been out of necessity! On that above mentioned bike trip, I cycled 145k through the night and right to Madrid airport, arriving at 4am. It was surreal, but most enjoyable! I cycled up to the entrance via the taxi/bus lane. The entrance doors, being automatic, opened and allowed me, to literally cycle towards the disabled toilets, which are big enough to accommodate a bike! I had a wet wipe bath, changed clothes, dismantled and packed my bike in the plastic bag, that I'd brought from the uk. Job done! 🤓🇬🇧Cheers. Wild

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back