• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping

Leemac40

Time of past OR future Camino
Baztan - September 2nd
I am hoping to do 2 weeks on the Norte next May/June from Irun to Santander or thereabouts! I have been following threads about this and realise it could be expensive for accommodation so I am planning to bring a tent, I am not a 'camper' by any means but think it may add an extra dimension to my experience! Are there specific places to camp or will it be ok and safe to wild camp? Obviously will do some trial runs in the wilds of Scotland to prepare, similar amounts of rain!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When in high school I read somewhere that each night sleeping in a tent does not count against your time on earth. It must work. I have tent camped A LOT in my life and am now very old. I have a lot of great backpacking tents. So on our first Camino, the del Norte, my family and I carried tents. We passed one commercial camp ground I would have liked to stay in but it was too early in the day. We mailed our tents home from Gijon, 500 km of carrying an extra kg. I never saw a single suitable "wild" campsite in two walkings of the del Norte and understand it is illegal to "wild" camp anywhere in Spain. Aside from that, water might not be anywhere near a suitable "wild" tent site. Some private albergues allow tent pitching on their grounds if they have room. Presumably at a reduced rate. The campground near Playa Frances rents small cabins very reasonably but is off the Camino. I have slept in a tent (their tent) at the municipal albergue at Castro Urdiales. This tenting at a private albergue would provide the shared camaraderie so beautiful about any Camino. And you will be highly appreciative of an evening hot shower and toilet facilities. Buen Camino

There is this section on camping on the Camino:
I have walked the Norte and there are lots of surfers who are in parking lots etc along the Norte. There are specific rules about camping. Yes in May/June, especially in June prices will go way up on the Norte as Spaniards spend their summer holidays there. More people, more demand, higher prices. Obviously. Once you are heading southwest towards Santiago prices will most certainly go down.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I haven't been on the Norte but I've wild camped on other Caminos and there's never been the slightest problem with finding campsites. I understand it's technically illegal, but I've never had a problem from the Guardia or from landowners. A tent is a good thing to have if the albergues are full, and it takes away the pressure of worrying about reservations or a night outside, or paying for a hotel or a taxi. And of course it's very cheap and great fun.

Lots to think about, plenty of time to do it! I may consider earlier in the year or start saving! My favourite part of the day is the feeling of cleanliness and refreshment after a shower but would love the freedom of deciding where to stay and when to stop as I'm a planner and booker so would love to challenge this and get out of my usual mental constraints! Thanks guys 😊

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.