• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Campsite list Germany - Finisterre

good_old_shoes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
For my Camino last year I created a list of campsites for the complete way from Germany (Cologne) to Finisterre.

The list covers the way from Cologne via Koblenz, Trier, Metz, Langres, Dijon, Cluny and Le Puy.

So it can be used for

- part of "linksrheinischer Jakobsweg" from Cologne (along the rhine) to Koblenz
- Moselcamino from Koblenz to Trier
- Trier towards Cluny
- the way from Cluny-Le Puy
- the via podiensis to St. Jean
- Camino Francés

It's almost a little guide book for a Camping Camino.

It is in german language but maybe still useful for some. I'll try to translate it if I find the time.

So if anyone is interested, let me know, I can send the pdf.

[Moderator note: The list is attached to post #15 below.]

Attachments

• IMG20220503071130.jpg
    IMG20220503071130.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For my Camino last year I created a list of campsites for the complete way from Germany (Cologne) to Finisterre.

The list covers the way from Cologne via Koblenz, Trier, Metz, Langres, Dijon, Cluny and Le Puy.

So it can be used for

- part of "linksrheinischer Jakobsweg" from Cologne (along the rhine) to Koblenz
- Trier towards Cluny
- Camino Francés

It is in german language but maybe still useful for some. I'll try to translate it if I find the time.

Wow, sounds like a looong walk. And probably not easy as the number of campsites is probably quite limited on some stretches?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow, sounds like a looong walk. And probably not easy as the number of campsites is probably quite limited on some stretches?

It was a long walk. For several reasons I skipped a few sections, but in Germany and France, it was possible to sleep on an official campsite or camp next to a gite most nights. I used gites for the nights where I couldn't reach a campsite and twice was invited to stay with locals (camping in garden / guest room). Also used public transport a few times to avoid exorbitant hotel prices/ wild camping/ several ~40km days in a row. There was no illegal wild camping involved except one night when the official campsite was unexpectedly closed. It was still possible to camp there though, only the sanitaire was locked. So I guess it wasn't strictly legal, but I was on a campsite ;-).

In France there are really many campings, often small ones, if you're okay with stepping off the official path for just a few kms. From Le Puy onwards it is even easier. Before Le Puy you need to walk long distances sometimes to get to the next campsites.

Overall I slept outdoors/camped ~ 3/4 of the time, in Germany/France most nights, in Spain ~half of the time.

It took some planning, though, which is why I'd like to share the list with others. Most official guide books don't really care about camping options along the way. There are much more camping options than what is for example indicated in the yellow "Outdoor" books.

So it can be used for

- Trier towards Cluny
- Camino Francés

I would very much appreciate this! Have you considered publishing this as a guide?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would very much appreciate this! Have you considered publishing this as a guide?

I want it to be available for free. So I think uploading it here in the "ressources" section for others to use would be a good idea :)

There are probably not many people interested in it anyway. The path from Germany to le Puy has only little pilgrim traffic and even less pilgrims who want to camp most nights. Even in the CF there are not many who want to camp.

But at least the part of the list for the Francés I'll probably translate to English.

I am very interested, indeed!
I take my wife to CF by camping car, and
this suits exactly.

benny.aumala@gmail.com

I sent you the document via e-mail. It's all in german, sadly. I'll try to translate at least the part for the Francés soon. Please remind me to send you the translation in a week or so.

By the way, I met several couples walking the Camino together, one of them driving the camping car and one walking. It seemed like a good solution for them 🙂.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
I would be very interested in this document also. And no problem working with the German version.

Btw, what tent did you use? Did it perform well over such a large distance and varying conditions? Were you happy with it?

Hi,
I would be very interested in this document also. And no problem working with the German version.

Btw, what tent did you use? Did it perform well over such a large distance and varying conditions? Were you happy with it?

I used a snugpak Ionosphere bivy tent. Not exactly ultralight but light enough for me, very sturdy, no leaks at all. Already used it for a short Camino in 2016 and the way from Le Puy in 2017 so I knew I could rely on it. Good quality, low profile, small Footprint. Also good colour for stealth camping if that's your thing.

A marmot down sleeping bag and a z-lite sleeping mat. Worked perfectly for me, I was very happy with it. But we're all different, so your needs might be different :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It was a long walk. For several reasons I skipped a few sections, but in Germany and France, it was possible to sleep on an official campsite or camp next to a gite most nights. I used gites for the nights where I couldn't reach a campsite and twice was invited to stay with locals (camping in garden / guest room). Also used public transport a few times to avoid exorbitant hotel prices/ wild camping/ several ~40km days in a row. There was no illegal wild camping involved except one night when the official campsite was unexpectedly closed. It was still possible to camp there though, only the sanitaire was locked. So I guess it wasn't strictly legal, but I was on a campsite ;-).

In France there are really many campings, often small ones, if you're okay with stepping off the official path for just a few kms. From Le Puy onwards it is even easier. Before Le Puy you need to walk long distances sometimes to get to the next campsites.

Overall I slept outdoors/camped ~ 3/4 of the time, in Germany/France most nights, in Spain ~half of the time.

It took some planning, though, which is why I'd like to share the list with others. Most official guide books don't really care about camping options along the way. There are much more camping options than what is for example indicated in the yellow "Outdoor" books. . I speak German so this is not a problem - I have dual citizenship and family in Germany which is why it really appeals to me! Buen Camino! Thanks in advance for emailing me it!

Last edited:
I Just realized that I can simply attach the document here 🤦.

If anyone still prefers it via e-mail, please send a private message.

I am busy with work at the moment, but hope to translate the part for the Francés this weekend. I'll upload it in the ressources section then.

Attachments

• Camping Camino 2023.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 109
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you so much for compiling all this information and taking the time and effort to create this resource !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.