• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can’t figure out windy maps!!

senora1

I’m not super tech savvy but didn’t think I was completely useless til now. I discovered Windy maps and it seems ideal for my bike Camino on the Frances. The problem I encountered:
I downloaded a local map and a Spanish one just to get familiar, neither one opens. I have an iPhone 7, even looked in files. I see it on windy as “downloaded” but just can’t…
I really would like to download and save my route from Burgos to SdC. It’s in a folder but when I tap navigate (wanted route out of town) it immediately brings me to starting in my home.
I tried watching a you tube video but don’t see the guy having my issues. I can use google maps of course but really liked how windy seems to show a dedicated bike route, partly on the Camino and partly on bike lanes.
If anyone can offer assistance or suggest a better way to bike the Camino please help!🚴🏻‍♀️

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you cant work out Windy (and I haven't tried though I have it on my phone) you could the free version of RidewithGPS

You could also download Camino routes from the RWG site or convert ones from the Wikiloc site. Plenty of gpx/kml files out there.

I really would like to download and save my route from Burgos to SdC. It’s in a folder but when I tap navigate (wanted route out of town) it immediately brings me to starting in my home.
That is probably because that is where you are. I suspect that Windy, like most other Nav Apps uses GPS to establish your position & navigate you to your destination. Try cycling 20 miles from home and asking Windy to navigate you home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use Windy, and it will show spots all over the world, not just my local area (wind 6.4kts, NE in Burgos now). But I do have an upgraded version which cost me about $30 (the most expensive app I've ever had).
Windy is geared toward sailors and fishermen, and there may be better alternatives for you. I have never tried to use it for navigation so cannot help there.
I do use PathAway for walks and bike rides, and have even saved routes and loaded them to googlearth.
Good luck, Buen Camino.

I use Windy, and it will show spots all over the world, not just my local area (wind 6.4kts, NE in Burgos now). But I do have an upgraded version which cost me about $30 (the most expensive app I've ever had).
Windy is geared toward sailors and fishermen, and there may be better alternatives for you. I have never tried to use it for navigation so cannot help there.
I do use PathAway for walks and bike rides, and have even saved routes and loaded them to googlearth.
Good luck, Buen Camino.
It’s the bike/walking windy app, not the weather one I’m referring to. I can’t seem to figure out how to use it correctly but will look at pathaway also, thx

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good luck, Buen Camino.
It’s the bike/walking windy app, not the weather one I’m referring to. I can’t seem to figure out how to use it correctly but will look at pathaway also, thx
Exactly - two different apps from the same company. One for weather, the other is just maps. I like the map app because it shows all the Camino routes, and many other hiking cycling routes without downloading additional GPS tracks.

windy maps apps.JPG

I've run into a similar situation with a different app when I select a track recorded in Spain and tell it to open up in the app. I have GPS location services on so it shows me where I currently am. I just zoom out to cross the Atlantic to Spain and see the track there.

I called it a situation, not a bug or problem because the app was likely designed to work that way. Say I have the track of a parade route taking place in town a bit later. If I pull it up I'll likely see both it and my location. Now I can decide where on the route I want to go to. If the parade is in Spain though the app can't usefully display both places so it picks home.

I’ve just opened Windy. Very nice especially the 3D setting which makes navigation easier. Like all apps there are peculiarities and you’ll find some useful guides on YouTube to help you understand the specifics.

Wish I could use it but it doesn’t work with my Varia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Really sorry for my misunderstanding. So much available it is hard to keep up at times.
Get well soon.

I’m not super tech savvy but didn’t think I was completely useless til now. I discovered Windy maps and it seems ideal for my bike Camino on the Frances. The problem I encountered:
I downloaded a local map and a Spanish one just to get familiar, neither one opens. I have an iPhone 7, even looked in files. I see it on windy as “downloaded” but just can’t…
I tried watching a you tube video but don’t see the guy having my issues. I can use google maps of course but really liked how windy seems to show a dedicated bike route, partly on the Camino and partly on bike lanes.
If anyone can offer assistance or suggest a better way to bike the Camino please help!🚴🏻‍♀️
Depending on which version of iOS you can run on your admittedly older phone, the issue might be that your phone does not support the Windy app. Go to the App Store page for this app, and drill down on information about which phones and iOS versions the app is compatible with.

Apple is in the corporate habit of no longer supporting older phones. I do not know where the model cutoff presently is - via a vis your having an iPhone 7. They have been doing this since the release of the first iPhones.

Essentially, if your phone does not support the most current iOS versions - the one your app is written to expect - the app will not work, or if it works will not work well.

Sorry, the answer MIGHT be as simple as this.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Depending on which version of iOS you can run on your admittedly older phone, the issue might be that your phone does not support the Windy app. Go to the App Store page for this app, and drill down on information about which phones and iOS versions the app is compatible with.

Apple is in the corporate habit of no longer supporting older phones. I do not know where the model cutoff presently is - via a vis your having an iPhone 7. They have been doing this since the release of the first iPhones.

Essentially, if your phone does not support the most current iOS versions - the one your app is written to expect - the app will not work, or if it works will not work well.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hope this helps.

Tom
You may be right about my phone. I’ve been trying to convince my husband we need new ones and now I have proof 😍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used Windy Maps extensively when I cycled the VDLP in 2019. At that time, and until very recently, I had an iPhone 7 with the most up-to-date operating system. Prior to leaving for Spain, I downloaded all of the regional maps that I wanted to use. Windy Maps worked great and was very useful on and off the trail. I now have the app loaded on my newer iPhone12 and it works great! Locally, when I have phone use questions or problems, I have found that the people at our AT&T store could answer most of my questions.

I used Windy Maps extensively when I cycled the VDLP in 2019. At that time, and until very recently, I had an iPhone 7 with the most up-to-date operating system. Prior to leaving for Spain, I downloaded all of the regional maps that I wanted to use. Windy Maps worked great and was very useful on and off the trail. I now have the app loaded on my newer iPhone12 and it works great! Locally, when I have phone use questions or problems, I have found that the people at our AT&T store could answer most of my questions.
Thanks for the info. I think I will check with my service provider

Hi Senora
In 2018 my partner and I cycled from Barcelona to Finnisterre. I used Maps.Me and I had pre-loaded .kmz tracks to show me the way.
I had found it very helpful - our blog is at https://cyclingtillwedrop.wordpress.com/
With best
Hans

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Senora
In 2018 I cycled from Barcelona to Finnesterre using Maps.Me with pre-loaded .kmz files - apart from Day 1 leaving Barcelona it worked very well
My partner and I ran a blog while on the trip https://cyclingtillwedrop.wordpress.com/ - it may be of value
With best wishes
Hans

The version of iOS used in 2019 was significantly different than current iOS versions. I suspect it is a problem wherein the older iPhone cannot run the new iOS version - the version that Windy expects.

The solution may be two-part, a powerful enough smartphone with enough memory and prices so capability, as well as a current iOS version.

Good luck,

Tom

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The version of iOS used in 2019 was significantly different than current iOS versions. I suspect it is a problem wherein the older iPhone cannot run the new iOS version - the version that Windy expects.

The solution may be two-part, a powerful enough smartphone with enough memory and prices so capability, as well as a current iOS version.

Good luck,

Tom
Thanks. I finally convinced my husband we need new phones, hopefully in the next few weeks..:

Like I said, good luck. Apple products generally are considered to have a 5-6 year lifespan. Yes, they are useful and function quite well - like forever. This is due to superior engineering. But things like iOS support for obsolete technology and the resulting apps can become unmanageable.

Sometimes, the facts of life just intervene.

It's like an old car from the 1960s that wants leaded gasoline. Yes, we used to use gasoline containing lead as a lubricating additive. If I put modern unleaded gasoline in the car, it will run badly and the engine will be damaged over time. The only solution, if one wants to keep the car, is to rebuild the engine so it can tolerate unleaded gasoline.

The old smartphone is similar. It may look and function spectacularly. But if I try to load an operating system it cannot run, or use apps that are expecting the updated operating system, we will have a problem.

Sometimes our hand is forced simply by the passage of time.

Another corollary is that, here in the US, cellular providers are ending support for 3G and 4G phones. Only LTE and 5G mobile phones will be supported, as from 1 March. I just received a notification from VW about my interactive car systems that rely on 3G technology. The systems will cease functioning. But, VW will offer a technology remedy in the autumn. Hope I don't have an emergency in the meantime.

Ultreia!

Tom

Thanks. I finally convinced my husband we need new phones, hopefully in the next few weeks..:
Good luck! On the strength of this discussion I downloaded the Windy Maps app … and some maps … it worked a treat locally, no problem … rekkon it might be an issue, as others have suggested, with the aged operating system🙏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.