• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can’t get over it.

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Frances,
2019 C. Portuguese (inland).
Call me a dreamer or a crab living under a rock but folks I’m still in awe of this amazing ability to talk to people from around the world. We can talk about the Camino, about travel, about ethics and so forth. When I first left this country, Australia, to visit Europe, the only way to reach family and friends back home was by letter, telegram and telephone, if you could afford the last two. And today, just a few years later, we send across the globe, instantly, letters, photos and videos simply by tapping our finger on a square piece of glass not much bigger than a Queen-of-hearts. Amazing, isn't it? Not only that, we can talk and see each other in real time. Forgive me fellow pilgrims, especially you younger ones, but I am still in awe of this phenomenon. I see posts and comments from Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, the US, the UK, France, Spain, Canada, New Zealand, Brazil, Ireland, Greece, Portugal, Australia ..... etc. Yep, call me a dreamer if you like. Yes, I’m aware that my enthusiasm is a little bit quaint. But seriously, doesn’t this freedom give each of us the means by which to do enormous good and to build bridges across so many raging rivers.

Aaaah.....always the dreamer....

1594079245343.png

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Call me a dreamer or a “villager” but folks I’m still in awe of this amazing ability to talk to people from around the world, about the Camino, about travel, about ethics and so forth. When I first left this country the only way to reach others was by letter, telegram and telephone, if you could afford the last two. And today, just a few years later, we send across the globe, instantly, letters, photos and videos by touching a piece of glass. Not only that, we can talk and see each other in real time. Forgive me folks, especially you younger pilgrims, but I am still in awe of it. I see comments from Germany, Sweden, Norway, the US, the UK, France, Spain, Canada, New Zealand, Brazil, etc. Yep, call me a dreamer if you like. Yes, I’m aware that my view is a little bit quaint but seriously, doesn’t this freedom give each of us the means by which to do enormous good and to build bridges across so many raging rivers. Always a dreamer....

Might I ask what time it is where you are? I don’t wish to assume which country you’re referring to.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Australia.

I see. I’m terribly sorry. I assumed you were a Brit and most likely pissed at this time of night. Always worth aiming-off for time difference.

I do hope you’re having better weather than us.

Anyway, this whole electronic thing is like magic. 30 years ago it only existed in science fiction films and today grannies are convening multi-participant live video calls. God alone knows what the next couple of decades will bring.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I see. I’m terribly sorry. I assumed you were a Brit and most likely pissed at this time of night. Always worth aiming-off for time difference.

Anyway, this whole electronic thing is like magic. 30 years ago it only existed in science fiction films and today grannies are convening multi-participant live video calls. God alone knows what the next couple of decades will bring.
I totally agree!! I am amazed at what we can do by just touching a piece of glass (buttons are so old-fashioned!). Beam me over to Burgos, Scottie!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Call me a dreamer or a crab living under a rock but folks I’m still in awe of this amazing ability to talk to people from around the world. We can talk about the Camino, about travel, about ethics and so forth. When I first left this country, Australia, to visit Europe, the only way to reach family and friends back home was by letter, telegram and telephone, if you could afford the last two. And today, just a few years later, we send across the globe, instantly, letters, photos and videos simply by tapping our finger on a square piece of glass not much bigger than a Queen-of-hearts. Amazing, isn't it? Not only that, we can talk and see each other in real time. Forgive me fellow pilgrims, especially you younger ones, but I am still in awe of this phenomenon. I see posts and comments from Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, the US, the UK, France, Spain, Canada, New Zealand, Brazil, Ireland, Greece, Portugal, Australia ..... etc. Yep, call me a dreamer if you like. Yes, I’m aware that my enthusiasm is a little bit quaint. But seriously, doesn’t this freedom give each of us the means by which to do enormous good and to build bridges across so many raging rivers.

Aaaah.....always the dreamer....

View attachment 78355
Hi @Lexicos - thank you for your wonderful OP - gosh it touches my pilgrim heart! It brings back memories of my own years away from Oz in the late 70’s - definitely a different world back then ...
I see you’re from Melbourne - my thoughts are with you, your family and all Victorians as you all navigate the next challenging weeks. I’m hoping for the absolute best results soon so the beautiful state of Victoria is virus-free.
Best, BEST wishes from the NSW South Coast -
Jenny

I totally agree!! I am amazed at what we can do by just touching a piece of glass (buttons are so old-fashioned!). Beam me over to Burgos, Scottie!
Burgos works for me @marylynn! Drinks and dinner at Pancho Bar? 😀🍷. Let’s look forward to happy Camino days - may they safely happen again before we expect ... that is my prayer and that is my wish. I miss the pilgrim life on camino so much.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Did you not recognise Australian humour? 😁

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for your comments, each and all. I’ve enjoyed reading them. It feels good to have a laugh and a chuckle for a change. Yes, we are in lockdown again. Pretty much to be expected, really. But what a pity. So much to see and so little time. Still, this is not a bad alternative. It too is a journey of sorts . It will pass, as all journeys do. The Camino will still be there for us all. The main thing is to stay fit, healthy and strong. It won’t be long......

I, too, am old enough to remember the days when the only practical and affordable means for a traveller to communicate with family/friends back home was by mail (blue tissue-paper aerograms! poste restante!). Although today's instant communications are truly amazing and (like this forum) often helpful, I must say that I do miss those adventurous times when we left home with a paper map, a pen and a notebook, no return ticket, no online advice, no advance bookings, out of reach and away from everything familiar for months on end. The world seemed a lot bigger then!

I went to boarding school in country NSW (Aust) in the 70's, 75kms from my home town. I remember having to 'book' a telephone line to ring home on weekends, and then wait for the operator to ring back with a 'free' line. In the 80's I lived in London for a spell, and the only communication was the aerogramme letters, telegrams or a toddle down to the red phone boxes to reverse a call home. In the late 80's I saw a fax machine for the first time, and just about fell off my chair. In the 90's my husband taught me to email my friend in Wales,10,000 odd kms away, and at first I thought he was pulling my leg, until I got a reply! And don't get me started on the era of the mobile phone! So I agree with you Lexicos, modern technology is mind-blowing. I would love for my great-grandfather to come back and see how far we've come.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm sure he would fall off his chair too, Sweething! Yes, I remember those days of old technologies. How quaint they seem today. Still, I reckon nothing beats a good yarn with someone beside you, especially when you're walking through fantastic places on a Camino with a fellow pilgrim who likes to talk and share deep thoughts and feelings, as most of us do when we are on our Way. That's the magic of it isn't it? The IT comms part is the salad dressing, but as we say impressive nonetheless. But never a substitute, no way!
Until the next one hey. May it be soon. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure he would fall off his chair too, Sweething! Yes, I remember those days of old technologies. How quaint they seem today. Still, I reckon nothing beats a good yarn with someone beside you, especially when you're walking through fantastic places on a Camino with a fellow pilgrim who likes to talk and share deep thoughts and feelings, as most of us do when we are on our Way. That's the magic of it isn't it? The IT comms part is the salad dressing, but as we say impressive nonetheless. But never a substitute, no way!
Until the next one hey. May it be soon. :)
As of yet I haven't had the privilege of walking a Camino, that was next year's plans, but it'll happen when times are safe. So at the moment my best friend and I are training as much as we can, usually on weekends, weather permitting, on the Great North Walk. I seriously don't think either of us ever stop talking, it's very cathartic. When my poor husband joins us, he never gets a word in 🤣!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back