• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can a 53 Year Old " Hiking Virgin" Really do The Compostella De Santiago? YOU BET I CAN!

Dan the Man

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2015, 2017, 2019
Ok, so I have chosen my FIRST HIKE EVER to be over 700Km long! Why start small I say?

I know I can do it! It is funny that as I start to look at actually booking travel details, buying necessary items, doing some training, and now joining this forum, I get equally nervous and terribly excited at the same time!

My friends are giving betting odds on my completion..........SUCH NON BELIEVERS!

The closest friends know that I have thought about this for a long time. I have been mysteriously drawn to the walk, and I can not say why or how, but I know I have to do it!

I have questions that I'd love advice on:

Is there a most favourable European city to fly into from Toronto to get to St. Jean Pied De Porte with the most ease?

Boots vs Shoes.....i have read so much about the pros and cons of both. Any advice from those who have used both?

Is the Camino really as friendly as I have read about?

iPad vs iPhone?

Finally.....I can start Late July or anytime in August. I'd love advice form those who have done either

Thanks All,
Dan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, so I have chosen my FIRST HIKE EVER to be over 700Km long! Why start small I say?

I know I can do it! It is funny that as I start to look at actually booking travel details, buying necessary items, doing some training, and now joining this forum, I get equally nervous and terribly excited at the same time!

My friends are giving betting odds on my completion..........SUCH NON BELIEVERS!

The closest friends know that I have thought about this for a long time. I have been mysteriously drawn to the walk, and I can not say why or how, but I know I have to do it!

Is there a most favourable European city to fly into from Toronto to get to St. Jean Pied De Porte with the most ease?

Boots vs Shoes.....i have read so much about the pros and cons of both. Any advice from those who have used both?

iPad vs iPhone?

Finally.....I can start Late July or anytime in August. I'd love advice form those who have done either

Thanks All,
Dan
Was not a hiking virgin, but had not done a hike in about 20 years when I did my first Camino Frances with absolutely no plan and no training and no preparation and was 52 years old. No problem at all. Yeah, sure I had the whole sore knees, back and feet bit, but nothing bad enough to stop me. Take your time on the Camino. Know your limitations and all is well.

Wear hiking shoes. Non-waterproof, breathable, lightweight variety with grippy soles. Trail runners would work too, and get them a 1/2 size big and if you have wide feet make sure they have a big toe box.

Yes the Camino is as friendly as you have heard.

iPhone or iPad? up to you...which will suit your needs best.

My first Camino was mid-July through mid-August. I think that's the height of the walking season and there are a lot of pilgrims. Warmer weather but you don't have to pack as much clothes and can wear shorts everyday. I thought the weather was perfect. I never had a problem with room in albergues and I had no problems with the abundance of pilgrims. Some people on this forum don't like to see a lot of pilgrims on the Camino, but I thought it was pretty cool.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Was not a hiking virgin, but had not done a hike in about 20 years when I did my first Camino Frances with absolutely no plan and no training and no preparation and was 52 years old. No problem at all. yeah, sure I had the whole sore knees, back and feet bit, but nothing bad enough to stop me. Take your time on the Camino. Know your limitations and all is well.

Wear hiking shoes. Non-waterproof, breathable, lightweight variety with grippy soles. Trail runners would work, too and get them a 1/2 size big and if you have wide feet make sure they have a big toe box.

Yes the Camino is as friendly as you have heard.

iPhone or iPad? up to you...which will suit your needs best.

My first Camino was mid-July through mid-August. I think that's the height of the walking season and there are a lot of pilgrims. Warmer weather but you don't have to pack as much clothes and can wear shorts everyday. I thought the weather was perfect. I never had a problem with room in albergues and I had no problems with the abundance of pilgrims. Some people on this forum don't like to see a lot of pilgrims on the Camino, but I thought it was pretty cool.

cheers

iPad vs iPhone?

Thanks All,
Dan
I was 66 on my first Camino,and believe me if I could do it you can.Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello Dan, fabulous decision! What you write rang a bell with me as my kids (I learnt later!) were also betting I could never finish hihi. Mind you, I did find the 1st day very hard as I hadn't had time to walk much before starting...( The 2nd Camino was a doddle by comparison as I had walked the previous 12 months.) So if you can, try and walk as much as possible before you leave.

The nearest airport is Biarritz but I leave it to others to advise as I don't know anything about flights from Toronto.

I don't want to say much about boots/vs shoes but as it will be Summer, 'breathable' shoes are best, in my opinion(!), not big leather ones for instance...

Both caminos I started mid-July and I loved it, just choose when is most convenient for you and when you get the cheapest flights , I don't think it'll make much difference.

Again, personal opinion, I only take an iphone to minimise weight and also to have less to worry about, but one walking compagnon always takes his ipad as well. Personal choice.

Finally I found that yes, it was very friendly, there seems to be a very special 'pilgrim spirit' but like anywhere you can meet some grumpy people too of course... I once stopped by the side of the camino with a sick pilgrim, waiting for a car to take her to the next town: EVERY single pilgrim stopped, asking if we needed anything, offering water etc etc

I am sure you'll find all the information you need on here, all I will now say is BUEN CAMINO!

Factors:

a. Closest Airport to SJPdP is Biarritz.

b. The closest airport to SJPdP in Spain is San Sebastian, which is 3 km from Irun/Hendaye border crossing and rail service provided by SNCF and Renfe.

c. SJPdP has SNCF train/bus service to Bayonne.

d. SJPdP has seasonal CONDA (ALSA) bus service to Pamplona.

e. There is Transports64 Regional bus service from SJPdP to Pau. Pau has a regional airport.

f. Consider how you will get home from Santiago.

A. If I were traveling from Biarritz to SJPdP I would:

a. Take Chronoplus bus 14 from Biarritz airport to Gare Bayonne.

b. Take SNCF TER 62 train/autocar service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

B. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Paris (or Bordeaux) I would:

a. Determine if it was cost effective and time effective to fly from Paris to Biarritz. Time effective means arriving in time to catch a train from Bayonne to SJPdP on the same day. (Allow 4 - 5 hours to transfer from CDG flight arrival to Orly flight departure)

b. If arriving at CDG and taking the train is the better option ... take the train from CDG 2 to Bayonne if the schedule is viable.

c. If CDG 2 schedule doesn't work ... Take RER B train to St Michel and transfer to the Metro. Take the line 4 Metro to Montparnasse. Then board the TGV train originating from Montparnasse to Bayonne. There is more frequent service from Montparnasse.

d. If arriving at Orly ... take the Orly Val train to station Antony and RER train to Massy. Take TGV from Massy to Bayonne.

C. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Madrid I would:

a. Take the Metro (from either T1T2T3 or from t4) or Renfe Cercanias (from T4) to Puerto Atocha and take a Renfe train to Pamplona.

b. Or ALSA provides bus service from Madrid T4 airport to Pamplona via Soria or Zaragosa. Bus service is slower than the train however it runs frequently, is cheaper, and requires no knowledge of Madrid transportation systems.

c. CONDA provides (seasonal) bus service to SJPdP - See ALSA schedule - from the Pamplona bus station.

d. I would consider a flight from Madrid to either Pamplona or San Sebastian.

D. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of London (Dublin would work too) I would:

a. Tranfer from arrival airport (Probably Heathrow or Gatwick) by National Express bus to either Stansted (Ryan air has flights to Biarritz all year) or Gatwick (Easy Jet has summer flights to Biarritz).

b. Fly from Stansted or Gatwick (or Dublin) to Biarritz France.

c. Take SNCF train and bus service to SJPdP.

E. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Barcelona I would:

a. Take Barcelona Cercanius to Barcelona Sants station.

b. Take either Renfe train or ViBasa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

c. Take CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

d. I would consider a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastian.

F. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Bilbao I would:

a. Take PESA bus from Bilbao (Loiu) airport to San Sebastian.

b. Take PESA or ALSA bus from San Sebastian to Bayonne. ALSA buses go to Gare Bayonne (TGV Bayonne)

c. Take SNCF train and bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

G. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Lisboa (or Porto) I would:

a. Take CP overnight train from Lisboa to Hendaye France.

b. Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne.

c. Take SNCF TER 62 service to SJPdP.

These are but a few of the options.

Regardless of whichever city you choose to arrive in ... it will take a full day of travel to get to SJPdP.

Last edited by a moderator:

iPad vs iPhone?

Thanks All,
Dan
Hi Dan, everything is already sead. But I wish you a great time and making lots off new friends along the way. Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Factors:

a. Closest Airport to SJPdP is Biarritz.

b. The closest airport to SJPdP in Spain is San Sebastian, which is 3 km from Irun/Hendaye border crossing and rail service provided by SNCF and Renfe.

c. SJPdP has SNCF train/bus service to Bayonne.

d. SJPdP has seasonal CONDA (ALSA) bus service to Pamplona.

e. There is Transports64 Regional bus service from SJPdP to Pau. Pau has a regional airport.

f. Consider how you will get home from Santiago.

A. If I were traveling from Biarritz to SJPdP I would:

a. Take Chronoplus bus 14 from Biarritz airport to Gare Bayonne.

b. Take SNCF TER 62 train/autocar service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

B. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Paris (or Bordeaux) I would:

a. Determine if it was cost effective and time effective to fly from Paris to Biarritz. Time effective means arriving in time to catch a train from Bayonne to SJPdP on the same day. (Allow 4 - 5 hours to transfer from CDG flight arrival to Orly flight departure)

b. If arriving at CDG and taking the train is the better option ... take the train from CDG 2 to Bayonne if the schedule is viable.

c. If CDG 2 schedule doesn't work ... Take RER B train to St Michel and transfer to the Metro. Take the line 4 Metro to Montparnasse. Then board the TGV train originating from Montparnasse to Bayonne. There is more frequent service from Montparnasse.

d. If arriving at Orly ... take the Orly Val train to station Antony and RER train to Massy. Take TGV from Massy to Bayonne.

C. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Madrid I would:

a. Take the Metro (from either T1T2T3 or from t4) or Renfe Cercanias (from T4) to Puerto Atocha and take a Renfe train to Pamplona.

b. Or ALSA provides bus service from Madrid T4 airport to Pamplona via Soria or Zaragosa. Bus service is slower than the train however it runs frequently, is cheaper, and requires no knowledge of Madrid transportation systems.

c. CONDA provides (seasonal) bus service to SJPdP - See ALSA schedule - from the Pamplona bus station.

d. I would consider a flight from Madrid to either Pamplona or San Sebastian.

D. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of London (Dublin would work too) I would:

a. Tranfer from arrival airport (Probably Heathrow or Gatwick) by National Express bus to either Stansted (Ryan air has flights to Biarritz all year) or Gatwick (Easy Jet has summer flights to Biarritz).

b. Fly from Stansted or Gatwick (or Dublin) to Biarritz France.

c. Take SNCF train and bus service to SJPdP.

E. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Barcelona I would:

a. Take Barcelona Cercanius to Barcelona Sants station.

b. Take either Renfe train or ViBasa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

c. Take CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

d. I would consider a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastian.

F. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Bilbao I would:

a. Take PESA bus from Bilbao (Loiu) airport to San Sebastian.

b. Take PESA or ALSA bus from San Sebastian to Bayonne. ALSA buses go to Gare Bayonne (TGV Bayonne)

c. Take SNCF train and bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

G. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Lisboa (or Porto) I would:

a. Take CP overnight train from Lisboa to Hendaye France.

b. Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne.

c. Take SNCF TER 62 service to SJPdP.

These are but a few of the options.

Regardless of whichever city you choose to arrive in ... it will take a full day of travel to get to SJPdP.[/QUOTE

WOW!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
You have given me the best information about travel. Yes I will figure out what I am doing after Santiago.....maybe visit friends in Geneva!

Your kindness and time are much appreciated!

I joined this forum today and I can honestly say that there are good people in this world! It is great to post a comment or question and receive such kindness in return!

Cheers My Friend,
Dan

If you can walk across a Wal Mart parking lot carrying two six packs of beer, you can easily walk the Camino. We walked from SJPDP to Santiago last year with a Japanese gentleman 85 years old; a blind guy from Finland who was accompanied by his wife pushing a baby carriage with TWO kids in it; several young women carrying BIG packs and carrying babies less than 6 months old.

On the other hand, we observed a lot of younger people who appeared in very good physical condition who just gave up & quit.

We walked most of the way with a Mexican couple who wore the clothes and shoes they wore on the plane ride to Spain and carrying BIG packs filled with gear to travel thru Europe for 6 months. They only planned to walk the Camino for a few days and ended up doing the entire hike.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

iPad vs iPhone?

Thanks All,
Dan
I flew Air France, mtl-paris(cdg)-(ory) to biarritz. Bus to the train station and then to sjpdp. I missed the 1pm train and had to wait till 9pm for the last train. So try to get to Biarritz with sufficient time to get to the station.

Although the Camino does not pose a technically demanding terrain, there are sections that you wish you had good supportive footware, specially steep downhill, scree or wet rocks. Choosing the right footware depends entirely on the "fitness of your feet". If you are a runner or have done extensive long distance hiking then your feet is well adapted (strong ankle, calf etc) and could easily walk with trainers/runners or even sandals. Otherwise it is safer to go with a lightweight/breathable boots with some ankle support. I invite you to read How to Choose the Best Hiking Boots by outdoor gear lab. Whatever footware you choose, make sure you train in them before the Camino.

July/August is the busiest. Late September and October would be the the best if you want to avoid the heat/traffic. I walked sept 27-Nov 1st. Cooler at nights/mornings but still warm during the day and no racing to find an alberque,

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is good connection on Air France: Leave Toronto (6:35 pm), arrive Paris (Charles de Gaulle airport) at 8:00 am, take shuttle bus to Orly airport, fly to Biarritz, arriving in early-mid afternoon. From there, get a bus or transport from http://www.expressbourricot.com/ to SJPP. Consider flying home from Madrid.
You can also fly back to Paris CDG from Santiago via Vueling Airlines. Easy and cheap to get to the airport in Santiago.

iPad vs iPhone?

Thanks All,
Dan
Welcome Dan, well I have 10 years more walking years up than you, and my walking buddy has a few more, first time starting apr 15th, so if we can do it(hopefully) then so can you!!!...Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

iPad vs iPhone?

Thanks All,
Dan

Airport. Can't say as I have not done the French route yet. It looks like most fly into Paris.

Boots vs Shoes. First camino I wore boots. Feet self destructed on day 3. Second camino, Good walking shoes, over 300 trouble free miles. Up to you.

Are pilgrams friendly. Do Mounties come from Canada! Yes, pilgrims are very friendly. My random encounters with locals was fantastic too.

lPad or iPhone. I took both. One to blog and facebook and one for phone calls

Weather in June, July, and August WET WET WET and or HOT HOT HOT! Walk to you level of endurance each day and no more. You will get stronger and your endurance level will improve. Listen to what you body is trying to tell you. Don't push it. No pain no gain does not work on the camino.

Happy Trails
PS I'm 65. Have fun:)

I chose to fly into Paris for the following reasons.
1. Cheaper than flying to Madrid
2. Getting from Paris to St. Jean was less confusing than from other places, at least for me. 2 train rides and boom, you're there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

iPad vs iPhone?

Thanks All,
Dan
You can fly Aer Lingus direct from Toronto to Dublin. Ryanair from Dublin to Biarritz. Aer Lingus Santiago to Dublin then back to Toronto, easy peasy. I was 64 when I walked it after 35 years sitting behind a desk getting fat and lazy. My only training was a few 5 km walks around our local park. The first day from Pamplona nearly killed me and I never got the hang of hills and mountains but I got there. If I can, anybody can :). I prefer boots but each to their own but I definitely would make sure they are waterproof. It can rain a lot and I mean 'great flood' lot. Is it friendly, you will never find anywhere as friendly if you live to be 100. Phone or tablet is easy. Phone every time. I brought a tablet first time and when my son was going home after we reached Burgos, it was the first thing in his pack for going home. More bother than it was worth. Cant help with timing, I did early spring and late autumn

Hello everyone...I'm 55 and doing my first camino (Sarria to Santiago ) on 23rd of May. I had a knee arthroscopy 5 weeks ago and my surgeon says I have a 90 percent chance of doing it. I say I have a 100 percent chance. It'll be grand!! My son in law is carrying his 18 month old on his back.....everything is possible. Very excited.

Hello everyone...I'm 55 and doing my first camino (Sarria to Santiago ) on 23rd of May. I had a knee arthroscopy 5 weeks ago and my surgeon says I have a 90 percent chance of doing it. I say I have a 100 percent chance. It'll be grand!! My son in law is carrying his 18 month old on his back.....everything is possible. Very excited.
YES YOU CAN DO IT 100%
I had the same surgery and think of it as a way to help get full range back.

I will miss you on te Camino. I am Leaving August 24 and will walk through September

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back