• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can anyone confirm or refute the following....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case anyone is interested, in my experience generally the highest incidence of bad coffees has most often been in France.

I drink little of the stuff, though that's less of a problem where I live (about 10 miles from the Italian border).

With experience, one can learn to instinctively avoid all bars with bad coffee -- most often, everything else they sell tends to be pretty dodgy too :p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you like classic British style tea (PG Tips etc) take your own.
I can't see a cheap hairdryer lasting very long, before it burns out with extended use.
I took a heavy duty army issue poncho which i didn't use once (left it in finisterre), but i did use those disposable ponchos of the type you see at music festivals. They fit over your rucksack but you might need someone to pull it down. They are flimsy, but ok if you are not too heavy handed. £2.99, buy one get one free at Mountain Warehouse.
I don't like jam, next time i'm taking a small marmite for breakfast.
If you ever buy food for a picnic save a bit for breakfast, many a time i would have loved a bit of cheese or salami with the toasted old baguette that was served.

Coffee in Spain was almost always excellent.
If buying at a cafe/bar spurn the Cafe con leche and go for the Cortado, nothing like the nasty cortado you get in Costa Coffee.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Honnestly, the cafe con leche and its effect on my gut is key to my happy, and non polluting the scenary, walks. Have coffee, have a second coffee, wait for gut to rumble, take care of rumbling gut, and head out the door for a walk until it's ensalada mixta time.

If you are aware of your own mechanics you can keep the Camino cleaner.
Oh my that's me, hubby thinks I am weird

I'm Canadian so I probably don't know "good" tea (and yes I actually squish the tea bag with the spoon before removing it from the cup - I'm told that I should be flogged for that!) I only drink tea and found that I was able to get black tea with cold milk at most places on the camino. The problem was the translation - it didn't matter if I asked for "tay" or "tee", the barman had no idea what I was asking for. It helped if I asked for "a cup of tea with cold milk" but I was still corrected on my pronunciation every time. So my request was "una taza de te con leche fria". Every day after doing my laundry, I would go to a bar and get a cup of tea. I felt everything in life was right when I was sitting enjoying my tea at the end of the day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just wrapping up last few things for Camino No.1...probably spent too much time on here gleaning advice but hopefully after this that'll be it. So, seen a few things on other threads that people have suggested which don't seem to be the within the main thinking of what a pilgrim needs to take....

...one person suggested that around the time of my Camino, March/early April, the albergues are still rather cold inside. Many of them offer laundry facilities but not for tumble drying and coupled with the fact they often leave the windows open to let air circulate (and the farts escape) you have a situation where things don't dry overnight, possibly leading to have to wear damp socks in the morning...one person said they ended up buying a cheap travel hair dryer and it worked brilliantly, dry socks and underwear every morning for the rest of the trip. I can get a travel dryer here for 10 quid, is it worth buying and bringing?

....are gaiters worth bringing?...what is the experience of people on here regarding that?

...same with trekking gloves...obviously not needed at all in the summer, but rain and snow to be expected in March, are they worth getting or have most people found them not necessary....?

...finally and most importantly, what is the situation with tea bags? I'm trying to cut my espresso habit and only drink coffee with breakfast these days, any other hot drinks during the day are tea. Should I bring my own tea bags..? Only fellow Britons along with Kiwis, Aussies and the Irish will truly appreciate and be able to answer this question I think. I know there are Americans out there who think they can buy and drink tea at home, but believe me, whatever it is you think you're drinking, it ain't tea as far as the civilised parts of the world are concerned :)

..this probably isn't a good place to ask whether I should bring my own marmalade too....(only joking...of course I should bring my own marmalade, doh...!)

BC!!! :)
Just wrapping up last few things for Camino No.1...probably spent too much time on here gleaning advice but hopefully after this that'll be it. So, seen a few things on other threads that people have suggested which don't seem to be the within the main thinking of what a pilgrim needs to take....

...one person suggested that around the time of my Camino, March/early April, the albergues are still rather cold inside. Many of them offer laundry facilities but not for tumble drying and coupled with the fact they often leave the windows open to let air circulate (and the farts escape) you have a situation where things don't dry overnight, possibly leading to have to wear damp socks in the morning...one person said they ended up buying a cheap travel hair dryer and it worked brilliantly, dry socks and underwear every morning for the rest of the trip. I can get a travel dryer here for 10 quid, is it worth buying and bringing?

....are gaiters worth bringing?...what is the experience of people on here regarding that?

...same with trekking gloves...obviously not needed at all in the summer, but rain and snow to be expected in March, are they worth getting or have most people found them not necessary....?

...finally and most importantly, what is the situation with tea bags? I'm trying to cut my espresso habit and only drink coffee with breakfast these days, any other hot drinks during the day are tea. Should I bring my own tea bags..? Only fellow Britons along with Kiwis, Aussies and the Irish will truly appreciate and be able to answer this question I think. I know there are Americans out there who think they can buy and drink tea at home, but believe me, whatever it is you think you're drinking, it ain't tea as far as the civilised parts of the world are concerned :)

..this probably isn't a good place to ask whether I should bring my own marmalade too....(only joking...of course I should bring my own marmalade, doh...!)

BC!!! :)

We all have our own ideas of what is essential for our comfort. I met an Italian man on the Via Francigena walking with a big tent, stove, full camping gear, 2kg of dried rice and a heavy cotton towelling bathrobe - in mid August. He reckoned his pack weighed 17kg but I suspect it was more. Not very surprised when he gave up after 3 days with knee trouble. Personally I like to go fast and light and just accept missing out on one or two home comforts.

Ya I met a fit 22 year old guy who had been backpacking for months a couple days in at Larasonna. He was hauling around a laptop a DSLR Camera and a bunch of heavy lenses. I lost him and last I heard he blew out a knee coming down from Alto del Perdón was done and heading back to the beaches near Barcelona.

No -- the recipes are not the same.

Cappucino
is quite unique (American attempts to copy it are unsuccessful) ; ordinary Spanish café con leche is like some French café au lait (but not like the best Parisian breakfast version, or the properly done café crème variety), though the quality version is more particular.

In my experience, cafe con leche is probably just more like what has unfortunately recently become quite popular here, a flat white. Cafe con leche is OK btw, happy to drink them when in Spain etc.

But a flat white is really just a poorly prepared attempt at a Cappuccino and I suspect the flat white was a convenient rebranding face saving opportunity for 'Big Cafe' (the insidious cabal of chain coffee, the Starbucks, the Costas, etc) so they can now say their coffees aren't s**t Cappucini but actually 'flat whites'. Yeah whatever....

It's quite unfair to say Americans can't do Cappucino, of course they can, it's not rocket science and the Americans are actually OK with rocket science so why shouldn't they be able to knock up a foamy/frothy coffee? The problem is that they like to monetise/franchise/chain the s**t out pretty much everything from burgers, to coffee, to donuts, to salad bars to ice cream and perhaps in doing so they lose a little of what made the thing so good in the first place but those massive queues in my local Starbucks aren't all Americans and the enormous queues in McDonalds I see in France, Italy and Spain sure as hell aren't Americans on a day visit to buy burgers. I know we sniffy Europeans like to twist the knife of cultural superiority in their guts but c'mon, the Americans are OK....I really like'em..... :)

BC!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In my experience, cafe con leche is probably just more like what has unfortunately recently become quite popular here, a flat white. Cafe con leche is OK btw, happy to drink them when in Spain etc.

But a flat white is really just a poorly prepared attempt at a Cappuccino and I suspect the flat white was a convenient rebranding face saving opportunity for 'Big Cafe' (the insidious cabal of chain coffee, the Starbucks, the Costas, etc) so they can now say their coffees aren't s**t Cappucini but actually 'flat whites'. Yeah whatever....
You must have had some really badly prepared flat white coffees to form either of these opinions. Certainly it is only recently that UK coffee shops have been making them, and I cannot remember anywhere outside of Starbucks attempting them when I was in the US in 2015. It would be interesting to try and explain the differences, but I am conscious that the alternative explanation for your confusion is that you couldn't tell the difference, and any explanation would be lost on you ;).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can anyone remember what it was that members were asked to confirm or refute; or even why?
Tea, which I opt for when in the US to avoid that crappy watered down filtered liqid the call coffee. So he was really asking about coffee. ;)

It's quite unfair to say Americans can't do Cappucino, of course they can, it's not rocket science and the Americans are actually OK with rocket science so why shouldn't they be able to knock up a foamy/frothy coffee? The problem is that they like to monetise/franchise/chain the s**t out pretty much everything from burgers, to coffee, to donuts, to salad bars to ice cream and perhaps in doing so they lose a little of what made the thing so good in the first place but those massive queues in my local Starbucks aren't all Americans and the enormous queues in McDonalds I see in France, Italy and Spain sure as hell aren't Americans on a day visit to buy burgers. I know we sniffy Europeans like to twist the knife of cultural superiority in their guts but c'mon, the Americans are OK....I really like'em..... :)

BC!! :)
Yup....
I've seen our worldwide contribution to fast food from Bangkok to Dubai, Madrid to Prague. Always people in them and I don't think they're all my fellow murican's.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.