• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can anyone confirm or refute the following....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superleggera

Time of past OR future Camino
CF [StJean-F'rre] (March 2017)
Just wrapping up last few things for Camino No.1...probably spent too much time on here gleaning advice but hopefully after this that'll be it. So, seen a few things on other threads that people have suggested which don't seem to be the within the main thinking of what a pilgrim needs to take....

...one person suggested that around the time of my Camino, March/early April, the albergues are still rather cold inside. Many of them offer laundry facilities but not for tumble drying and coupled with the fact they often leave the windows open to let air circulate (and the farts escape) you have a situation where things don't dry overnight, possibly leading to have to wear damp socks in the morning...one person said they ended up buying a cheap travel hair dryer and it worked brilliantly, dry socks and underwear every morning for the rest of the trip. I can get a travel dryer here for 10 quid, is it worth buying and bringing?

....are gaiters worth bringing?...what is the experience of people on here regarding that?

...same with trekking gloves...obviously not needed at all in the summer, but rain and snow to be expected in March, are they worth getting or have most people found them not necessary....?

...finally and most importantly, what is the situation with tea bags? I'm trying to cut my espresso habit and only drink coffee with breakfast these days, any other hot drinks during the day are tea. Should I bring my own tea bags..? Only fellow Britons along with Kiwis, Aussies and the Irish will truly appreciate and be able to answer this question I think. I know there are Americans out there who think they can buy and drink tea at home, but believe me, whatever it is you think you're drinking, it ain't tea as far as the civilised parts of the world are concerned :)

..this probably isn't a good place to ask whether I should bring my own marmalade too....(only joking...of course I should bring my own marmalade, doh...!)

BC!!! :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
...one person suggested that around the time of my Camino, March/early April, the albergues are still rather cold inside.

I can get a travel dryer here for 10 quid, is it worth buying and bringing?

Good gortex jackets, corresponding gtx trousers, full gtx pro shell items...

Are gaiters worth bringing even if trousers aren't or is it worth bringing both....what is the experience of people on here regarding that?

...same with trekking gloves...

...finally and most importantly, what is the situation with tea bags?

I have only heard of someone bringing a blowdryer, and that was from a man whose wife was doing so, and he was not pleased. Do not bring a blow dryer. If there is no drier one day, don't wash your clothes, and pick and albergue that does the mext day.

Yes to good rain jacket, rain pants and Altus poncho. Also, yes to umbrella.

No to gaiters. Yes to gloves.

No to tea bags, enjoy the coffee. And I must drink 6 cups of tea a day of not more, but when in Rome ....

And don't forget a real sleeping bag, not just a liner. Albergues can be chilly at that time of the year.

Bring tea bags to your heart's desire, and marmalade too, but replace the glass jar with a tin or plastic.

As for drying your socks with a cheap hair dryer, I would try this out at home first.
Also do the math how many socks you might carry instead of a hair dryer. (weight, space)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have only heard of someone bringing a blowdryer, and that was from a man whose wife was doing so, and he was not pleased. Do not bring a blow dryer. If there is no drier one day, don't wash your clothes, and pick and albergue that does the mext day.

Yes to good rain jacket, rain pants and Altus poncho. Also, yes to umbrella.

No to gaiters. Yes to gloves.

No to tea bags, enjoy the coffee. And I must drink 6 cups of tea a day of not more, but when in Rome ....

And don't forget a real sleeping bag, not just a liner. Albergues can be chilly at that time of the year.

OK thanks, although I'm not an umbrella or poncho man. Yes to tea bags surely, are you crazy ...? :)

Bring tea bags to your heart's desire, and marmalade too, but replace the glass jar with a tin or plastic.

As for drying your socks with a cheap hair dryer, I would try this out at home first.
Also do the math how many socks you might carry instead of a hair dryer. (weight, space)

I was joking about the marmalade but you never know, I could always sneak a little with me :).... I wondered about the dryer too, surely just take more socks but the person on the other thread seemed very convinced of the benefit- they also dried their underwear and base layers etc with it and small dryers only weigh around 400g. Space isn't a problem you see.

I was joking about the marmalade but you never know, I could always sneak a little with me :).... I wondered about the dryer too, surely just take more socks but the person on the other thread seemed very convinced of the benefit- they also dried their underwear and base layers etc with it and small dryers only weigh around 400g. Space isn't a problem you see.

Spain has very good marmalade too. Seville oranges, you know....
http://www.spanishoponline.com/marmalade--fruit-paste.html#.WHredX209sZ

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just wrapping up last few things for Camino No.1...probably spent too much time on here gleaning advice but hopefully after this that'll be it. So, seen a few things on other threads that people have suggested which don't seem to be the within the main thinking of what a pilgrim needs to take....

...one person suggested that around the time of my Camino, March/early April, the albergues are still rather cold inside. Many of them offer laundry facilities but not for tumble drying and coupled with the fact they often leave the windows open to let air circulate (and the farts escape) you have a situation where things don't dry overnight, possibly leading to have to wear wet socks in the morning...one person said they ended up buying a cheap travel hair dryer and it worked brilliantly, dry socks and underwear every morning for the rest of the trip. I can get a travel dryer here for 10 quid, is it worth buying and bringing?

...one person said lots of people have good gtx jackets etc but forget to buy corresponding gtx trousers which could be a problem walking the Mesetas in the howling rain for 8 hours a day, if it does rain of course but it is March....some say you need the full gtx pro shell items and some say lightweight gtx ones will do or even just a cheap pair of 20 quid emergency ones....are gaiters worth bringing even if trousers aren't or is it worth bringing both....what is the experience of people on here regarding that?

...same with trekking gloves...obviously not needed at all in the summer, but rain and snow to be expected in March, are they worth getting or have most people found them not necessary....?

...finally and most importantly, what is the situation with tea bags? my experience of tea anywhere in Europe is generally dim but I'm trying to cut my espresso habit and only drink coffee with breakfast these days, any other hot drinks during the day are tea. Should I bring my own tea bags..? Only fellow Britons along with Kiwis, Aussies and possibly Indians will truly appreciate and be able to answer this question I think. I know there are Americans out there who think they can buy and drink tea at home, but believe me, whatever it is you think you're drinking, it ain't tea as far as the civilised parts of the world are concerned :)

..this probably isn't a good place to ask whether I should bring my own marmalade too....(only joking...of course I should bring my own marmalade, doh...!)

I walked the French way last April and May. It was cold sometimes very cold. It was wet. It was windy. It was muddy very very muddy. I wore a tee shirt and base layer upper, trekking pants, wool socks and high top boots daily. My kit for cold weather was a set of medium weight biker sleeves, a ultra light down vest, a light weight fleece, a light weight wind and water proof shell, wool stocking cap, wool neck gaiter, and light gloves. Some days I was cool but I was never cold. A few days on the Meseta were down right balmy. For the mud I wore gaiters, they kept my pants clean and my boots cleaner and dry. They also help retain body heat. For overall protection from rain I used a zip up poncho. Remember walking the Camino generates a lot of body heat. Dress in layer and be careful not to over heat.

I never had a problem getting my clothes washed and dried. Get the Michelin French Way Guide. It lists all albergues with laundry. A blow dryer, really?o_O

Tea...My only complaint about the tea in Spain is I could not get honey to sweeten mine. Couldn't get ice tea either. Uncivilized! :)

Buen Camino
Happy Trails

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Safety pins to pin wet laundry on your pack....it air drys as you walk. I brought 20 used them everyday. Buen Camino

Hi thanks, but as someone has just confirmed, it's most likely going to be very wet and stuff pinned to my rucksack isn't going to dry if it's raining. Unfortunately, the more I read, the more I realise just how much it will rain.

I believe your correct. Happy planning....and wishing you a safe , wonderful Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Clothes Drying:
I did one CF in Jan/Feb and had no issues with clothes drying overnight. My MO was simple and probably similar to many; do your chores when you first arrive at the Albergue. This gives you more hours of drying time. Second part was the use of a small drying line strung up between bunks allowing good airflow around the clothes. Last bit is that I chose clothes with quick-drying properties. Wool socks were the slowest drying items but I carried 3 pairs in the winter so wasn't an issue if they weren't dry in the morning as I wasn't intending to wear them the next day anyway. If still wet I'd hang them again the next night and they were always fine the next day. Another tip I've read on the forum but haven't needed thus far is to roll your damp clothes inside your towel and walk/kneel on it to extract even more water.
Gaitors:
Because it was quite cold, raining or snowing (and usually muddy), I chose rain pants under a poncho instead of gaitors. Personal choice but worked well for me. If the pants got muddy it was easy to give them a quick rinse and they were ready in the morning. However, I did see others in Gaitors (mostly Spaniards in my case) and they seemed pretty happy with their choice especially when I would have to spend 30 mins getting the mud off my boots at night...
Gloves:
I carried 2 pairs of gloves, a thin pair of running gloves for 'normal' walking in cool/cold weather and a pair of snow gloves for, well, the snow days. Maybe not so necessary to have the latter but when I went again in April/May I still enjoyed having the light pair for cool mornings and rainy days.

Tea? Nah... Cafe con leche.

Buen Camino,
Jordon

I walked the French way last April and May. It was cold sometimes very cold. It was wet. It was windy. It was muddy very very muddy. I wore a tea shirt and base layer upper, trekking pants, wool socks and high top boots daily. My kit for cold weather was a set of medium weight biker sleeves, a ultra light down vest, a light weight fleece, a light weight wind and water proof shell, wool stocking cap, wool neck gaiter, and light gloves. Some days I was cool but I was never cold. A few days on the Meseta were down right balmy. For the mud I wore gaiters, they kept my pants clean and my boots cleaner and dry. They also help retain body heat. For overall protection from rain I used a zip up poncho. Remember walking the Camino generates a lot of body heat. Dress in layer and be careful not to over heat.

I never had a problem getting my clothes washed and dried. Get the Michelin French Way Guide. It lists all albergues with laundry. A blow dryer, really?o_O

Tea...My only complaint about the tea in Spain is I could not get honey to sweeten mine. Couldn't get ice tea either. Uncivilized! :)

Buen Camino
Happy Trails

As fast as keeping warm goes, I'll have to make do with what I have, which are a couple of thin fleeces and a thin merino jumper and a couple of thin normal lambswool jumpers to wear under my shell, low tech but effective nonetheless. I'm planning on wearing a couple of thin pairs of socks at a time for blister prevention as well as thermal performance, supposedly.

Clothes Drying:
I did one CF in Jan/Feb and had no issues with clothes drying overnight. My MO was simple and probably similar to many; do your chores when you first arrive at the Albergue. This gives you more hours of drying time. Second part was the use of a small drying line strung up between bunks allowing good airflow around the clothes. Last bit is that I chose clothes with quick-drying properties. Wool socks were the slowest drying items but I carried 3 pairs in the winter so wasn't an issue if they weren't dry in the morning as I wasn't intending to wear them the next day anyway. If still wet I'd hang them again the next night and they were always fine the next day. Another tip I've read on the forum but haven't needed thus far is to roll your damp clothes inside your towel and walk/kneel on it to extract even more water.
Gaitors:
Because it was quite cold, raining or snowing (and usually muddy), I chose rain pants under a poncho instead of gaitors. Personal choice but worked well for me. If the pants got muddy it was easy to give them a quick rinse and they were ready in the morning. However, I did see others in Gaitors (mostly Spaniards in my case) and they seemed pretty happy with their choice especially when I would have to spend 30 mins getting the mud off my boots at night...
Gloves:
I carried 2 pairs of gloves, a thin pair of running gloves for 'normal' walking in cool/cold weather and a pair of snow gloves for, well, the snow days. Maybe not so necessary to have the latter but when I went again in April/May I still enjoyed having the light pair for cool mornings and rainy days.

Tea? Nah... Cafe con leche.

Buen Camino,
Jordon

Good info, thanks :)

BC!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know there are Americans out there who think they can buy and drink tea at home, but believe me, whatever it is you think you're drinking, it ain't tea as far as the civilised parts of the world are concerned

Hence the Boston tea party ...I am an American and drink tea daily freshly made by the pot. Tea imported from India btw... never have touched coffee. I also do drink herb tea which I know to the peoples of the countries mentioned is not "tea" per se. And I love mate after multiple adventures in So. America. Thank you for asking the question. In another posting it was noted that one could buy good tea in any of the markets in Spain.

No such thing as weak tastless coffee in Spain. You will discover the joys of the cafe con leche. And yes, it may get your bowels going, bit better at the bar while enjoying your coffee than on the road. Plan accordingly, that's all.

The thing with coffee is that it has to be good and strong to be worth drinking, ask any Italian but unfortunately when it is good and strong it makes you need to poo as well, ask any Italian. Start drinking too much coffee and I'll have to hump around a load of toilet paper with me too. The alternative is to drink weak tasteless coffee but who wants to live like an American....? :)

Fun Fact: Italian Cappucino = Spanish Cafe con Leche! I know, it is a small world after all :cool:

As for the rest, all I can say is read the world popular book of Tarō Gomi (link HERE) and everything should come out fine...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In another posting it was noted that one could buy good tea in ana of the markets in Spain.
It depends what you call "good tea". Industrially packaged tea leaf residue in paper bags yes (Twinings, Typhoon and company), artisanal tea, picked by hand, dried by hand, not so much.

Fun Fact: Italian Cappucino = Spanish Cafe con Leche! I know, it is a small world after all :cool:

As for the rest, all I can say is read the world popular book of Tarō Gomi (link HERE) and everything should come out fine...
Yes, they are similar, but not equal.... Spanish coffee is good, as it is most of Europe and that is the problem...

@superleggera you'll be lucky to find albergues with the windows open. Yes to the gloves. And I take waterproof ones (Dexshell or Sealskinz - or ski gloves) because I use trekking sticks so my hands are exposed. If you don't use sticks then you can always put your hands in your pockets. Tea bags? Depends how important they are to you. I adopt the local food but do get excited if I come across vegemite, and on our last camino together my husband would have traded me for some breakfast marmalade.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use trekking poles for every step. The backs of my hands would always get sunburnt until I started wearing "sun gloves". I actually started wearing bike gloves because I thought the extra padding was necessary, but found it wasn't, so I use Columbia or Outdoor Research bone-fishing gloves.

Consider that you are paying less than 10 euros for a bed ... Consider the cost of electricity in Spain is expensive. The camino is only going to be viable for as long as there is a profit margin ...

Consider too the albergues are not well equipped with electrical outlets. You will be in competition for people trying to charge up their electronic gear.

You won't be held in high regard for flipping the breakers either.

I'd suggest leaving the dryer at home.

...one person suggested that around the time of my Camino, March/early April, the albergues are still rather cold inside. Many of them offer laundry facilities but not for tumble drying and coupled with the fact they often leave the windows open to let air circulate (and the farts escape) you have a situation where things don't dry overnight, possibly leading to have to wear damp socks in the morning...one person said they ended up buying a cheap travel hair dryer and it worked brilliantly, dry socks and underwear every morning for the rest of the trip. I can get a travel dryer here for 10 quid, is it worth buying and bringing?

....are gaiters worth bringing?...what is the experience of people on here regarding that?

...finally and most importantly, what is the situation with tea bags? I'm trying to cut my espresso habit and only drink coffee with breakfast these days, any other hot drinks during the day are tea. Should I bring my own tea bags..? Only fellow Britons along with Kiwis, Aussies and possibly Indians will truly appreciate and be able to answer this question I think. I know there are Americans out there who think they can buy and drink tea at home, but believe me, whatever it is you think you're drinking, it ain't tea as far as the civilised parts of the world are concerned :)

Gaiters?! Many opinions on this forum re footwear. One's need for gaiters relates to ones choice of footwear.

My one Camino (Frances) so far was in early spring. It was cool at times and it rained a lot (last year). I took long gaiters that didn't completely cover the lace area of my boots. So rain pooled at the bottom of the lace area and made my boots wet around the toes. This only happened twice, but I HATE having wet feet. I've had short gaiters custom-made by a local genius - I live in a big bushwalking area. These gaiters cover the tops of my boots and work perfectly. I wear rain pants which cover these gaiter tops. I've just bought an Altus poncho to replace the flimsy one I used last year.

The original gaiters I bought and which were with me on my Camino are longer and are designed to keep you dry and protect your clothes and/or legs while walking through undergrowth during heavy-duty, "proper" bushwalking. They can get pretty hot when covered by rain pants even in cool weather. And they're heavy to carry.

Including training I've walked about 1600kms in the last 18 months. Not a single blister. Keeping my feet dry is a big contributing factor (but not the whole story).

Clothes drying: Walking in cooler weather makes hand-washing/drying an issue well worth looking into. I used all synthetic clothing, including socks, for faster drying. On the rare occasions when some items didn't quite dry overnight I put the damp stuff in a big ziplock bag and they always dried the second night.

I bought some Altus trekking gloves while on my Camino. Needed them, loved 'em. Especially in the morning. But they weren't waterproof. I will try the waterproof brands mentioned by @Kanga.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Edit: @Urban Trekker reminds me in his post above: Even when it isn't raining, gaiters, even short ones, will keep mud off the inside cuffs of your pants as each muddy boot keeps brushing against the opposite cuff.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use trekking poles for every step. The backs of my hands would always get sunburnt until I started wearing "sun gloves". I actually started wearing bike gloves because I thought the extra padding was necessary, but found it wasn't, so I use Columbia or Outdoor Research bone-fishing gloves.
Trekking poles, wide-brimmed hat, so yes, the only part of me that got sunburnt was the backs of my hands. Will check out the gloves you mentioned, thanks.

One of the best items in my pack is my very small, very lightweight lambswool gloves. I would take them any day over a pair of super tech quick drying waterproof expensive gloves. Getting wet is part of the routine, but getting cold is no fun. Wool gloves insulate when wet. I cannot count the number of times I have been so happy to have them in a cold rain, usually in Galicia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Camino Frances does not really require gaiters, should you ever decide to walk from Le Puy or Vezelay I would most certainly recommend them-first things into the backpack for sure!

Mud and more mud and more mud, especially from Vezelay; snow around Aubrac and while mud is less of an issue from Le Puy there is still plenty for everyone. The first strech out of Le Puy includes a daily stiff climb and a hardy descent in the evening both treacherous in the rain. Muct easier to rinse your gaiters every day than to wash out your pants, socks, and boots

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just wrapping up last few things for Camino No.1 ...
My simple take:
  1. Hairdryer - no
  2. Gaiters - they are part of my wet weather outer layer. This year I didn't take them because I was walking later in the year, and regretted it. But it very much depends on your complete wet-weather outer layer approach whether you would need them or not.
  3. Trekking gloves - yes, used them regularly in Apr, but wouldn't need them later in the year.
  4. Tea bags - if you have a favourite, bring it. Tea is available but I cannot vouch for its quality.
  5. Marmalade - of course. I always bring a tube of Vegemite - nectar of the Aussie gods - to spread on my bread. I would definitely consider buying some of those refillable plastic tubes and making sure that you have an adequate supply.

...finally and most importantly, what is the situation with tea bags? I'm trying to cut my espresso habit and only drink coffee with breakfast these days, any other hot drinks during the day are tea. Should I bring my own tea bags..? Only fellow Britons along with Kiwis, Aussies and possibly Indians will truly appreciate and be able to answer this question I think. I know there are Americans out there who think they can buy and drink tea at home, but believe me, whatever it is you think you're drinking, it ain't tea as far as the civilised parts of the world are concerned :)

1. I can't speak to walking in March/April but I walked the English Camino North of Santiago at the beginning of November and I didn't find it cold at all, and I had just come in from Turkey. Northern England in September 2015 was way way way colder for me than Northern Spain in November 2015.

2. Not needed. Gaiters are completely pointless on the Camino IMO. Most of the walking is on road or dirt trails and Gaiters are only needed in ridiculous brush or sand (imo).

3. That's a shame the coffee is really good in the little cafes along the way and i'm not a big coffee person. I had tea a few times that I brought from hotels along my trip prior.

4. I would bring my own marmalade ;) Also if you like different types of cuisines that gets tough on Camino. We found a Chinese food place in Ponferrada and went there twice in the same day because we missed non-Spanish food so much by then about 22 days in or so.

5. Oh and the hairdryer isn't really needed either I don't think. Every few days there's a store in town where you can buy socks if you need. I brought 5 pairs, lost 1, bought 1 along the way. I also wear walking gloves every-time I hike or walk anywhere and always recommend them.

The French guides for Via Lemovicensis/ Chemin de Vézelay often warn that the day will be marked by "tres humidité" they don't relate to the weather! Very moist means shank deep mud.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino-Rain-pics.jpg Camino-Rain-pics-2.jpg Camino-Rain-pics-3.jpg
Mud and more mud and more mud, especially from Vezelay; snow around Aubrac and while mud is less of an issue from Le Puy there is still plenty for everyone. The first strech out of Le Puy includes a daily stiff climb and a hardy descent in the evening both treacherous in the rain. Muct easier to rinse your gaiters every day than to wash out your pants, socks, and boots
These pics from CF, April 2106. As I said in much detail above (post #24), when it rains, I'm glad to have gaiters. I'm not wearing them in the middle pic so had to wash my pants that night. Steady rain all day in top (Meseta) pic - my boots got wet through that day.

May I suggest that posting without reading previous posts is counter-productive to the uninitiated. I (almost) always write with a new forum member in mind as an imaginary reader.

Assertions are not arguments. Detailed info helps people make informed judgements.

Buen camino, - Mike

A true story. Walking from Vezelay in the Springtime, beautiful sunny days to keep the pilgrims happy, rain almost every day in the evening hours to keep the farmers happy. Grand beautiful horizon reaching fields of yellow colza flowers-canola not mustard. A short stretch through the woods and my foot sank almot to my knee in the mud! Treking poles and 10 minutes of major mud wrestling I was free only to have my other leg sink even deeper followed by an Eurovision Douze Points(!) faceplant into the mud. Now the Chemin de Vézelay can be lonely only at the gite in the evening do you see other pilgrims. No problem, I'm sitting on a stone next to the creek, stripped down to my unmentionables having washed the mud from my ears, my nostrils, my...you get the idea. When, six Belgian ladies led by a nun came walking up. They must have thought that they had come across the Wild Man from Borneo, I was... let us say flustered. Seeing my muddy clothes waiting to be rinsed they did understand, wished me well, and we never met again! Not one of my more inspiring Camino experiences.

Expect heat, dust, rain, mud, cold, wind, humidity - and glorious walking weather. You can get one, or any combination.

The first time I walked the CF I had just finished reading a book by a bicycle pilgrim who cycled from Paris in spring. She had rain all the way. So I was obsessed with keeping dry. I took a long 3 layer Goretex jacket - and heavy boots to deal with the mud. They both weighed a tonne. The boots caused all kinds of problems and got discarded on my second camino. It is still a good jacket, and gets taken out whenever we have a Sydney downpour and the drains are overflowing and need unplugging. But on that first Camino it did not make it out of my pack and I've never taken it again.

A swallow does not make a spring.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi thanks, but as someone has just confirmed, it's most likely going to be very wet and stuff pinned to my rucksack isn't going to dry if it's raining. Unfortunately, the more I read, the more I realise just how much it will rain.
I did the CF May 2015 and I only had one day of rain, the other days were in the mid 30 degrees! so trying to guess the weather is impossible, but keep weight to a minimum, you can always buy on the way, as for drying, you can always wear things more than once before washing and if the weather is that wet, nobody will notice the pong!

I walked the French way last April and May. It was cold sometimes very cold. It was wet. It was windy. It was muddy very very muddy. I wore a tee shirt and base layer upper, trekking pants, wool socks and high top boots daily. My kit for cold weather was a set of medium weight biker sleeves, a ultra light down vest, a light weight fleece, a light weight wind and water proof shell, wool stocking cap, wool neck gaiter, and light gloves. Some days I was cool but I was never cold. A few days on the Meseta were down right balmy. For the mud I wore gaiters, they kept my pants clean and my boots cleaner and dry. They also help retain body heat. For overall protection from rain I used a zip up poncho. Remember walking the Camino generates a lot of body heat. Dress in layer and be careful not to over heat.

Buen Camino
Happy Trails
I got my honey for the tea most places.
But some mornings I had to walk some kilometers for my morning tea and breakfast.

2012 Walking the CF crossing the Pyrenees in mid June in a howling gale I saw a Frenchman stop, take socks out of his rucksack and put them on his hands as gloves.
It was wild, wet and cold that day. There's a concrete shelter on that route , it's grotty and dirty BUT we all took bit in turns to enter, escape the elements and put on extra clothing.

Drying clothes. For a few euros some albergues will offer to machine wash and dry your clothes. If you can share loads with others this is worth the money.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I like comfort as much as the next guy (or gal), but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the blow dryer bit. My gear is the best I can afford, but always as little as possible. I try to be as prepared as I can be, but I factor in some discomfort. Because I think that is the whole point of walking through a country. Otherwise I'd take my car.
Reading through this thread one thing stood out for me: Scruffy's beautiful story about his muddy faceplant in France. I bet he didn't like it at the time, but to me it adds colour. I would consider it a better memory than blow drying my knickers in an albergue or trying to keep mud off my boots.
Expect some difficulties and maybe even some hardship. I've learned to embrace it. They make for the best memories and stories you'll have. Isn't it supposed to be a bit of an adventure?

I like comfort as much as the next guy (or gal), but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the blow dryer bit. My gear is the best I can afford, but always as little as possible.
We all have our own ideas of what is essential for our comfort. I met an Italian man on the Via Francigena walking with a big tent, stove, full camping gear, 2kg of dried rice and a heavy cotton towelling bathrobe - in mid August. He reckoned his pack weighed 17kg but I suspect it was more. Not very surprised when he gave up after 3 days with knee trouble. Personally I like to go fast and light and just accept missing out on one or two home comforts.

I can get a travel dryer here for 10 quid, is it worth buying and bringing?
I would say no but @superleggera looking at your picture I do say that if you bring it you should use it on yourself after showering to give other pilgrims something to write home about.:)

I walked the CF in March/April and the first ten days or so were cold in the
mornings. We had snow and rain. I used poles so was glad I had gloves with
me. The Montane gloves I took were waterproof and had little pads on the
fingers to let you use your touch sensitive phone whilst wearing them. My
phone at the time didn't have a touch sensitive screen but it was still a feature
I liked to point out to people.

Tea is available in Spain but be careful when ordering. If you're asked if you
want black tea say yes.This seemed to be the way it was decided if you wanted
real tea as opposed to some herbal infusion. Ask for milk after the tea's been
brewed. We learnt the hard way. In Sahagun we asked for tea with milk. The
barman looked surprised. He put two tea bags in teapot and then filled it with
steamed milk. It was a lingering taste

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

A lot of good info given on rain gear.
Would advise you to take a good long sleeve thermal top
We've had snow in May and these saved our bacon!
Also pack all clothes in clear plastic bags inside the rucksack
The rain covers supplied with the rucksacks,we found to be useless so now we take a few black plastic bin liners ....and if it rains,just cover the whole rucksack with one..works brilliantly

Re the tea bags. We never go without them.. Did you know the Irish even drink more tea than the English!! .we have a small electric element which boils the water...great cup of tea in the morning or when we reach our destination
Either take some powdered milk or you can get little pods of milk in .
Poundland..weigh very little
We do drink coffee during the day..husband has coffee con leche but I keep to the black stuff as I find too much of the milk is sickly
And yes,you are right..the coffee does have a laxative effect
For me, the little added weight of the element is worth it for the tea and it fits nicely inside 2 plastic cups
Enjoy your Camino and keep warm
Best wishes Annette

What's the whole story?
Blisters are caused by many factors. Many posts here on the forum about that. You will find that there are also many opinions about causes and how to deal with them. Basically: Some people's skin layers shear more easily than other's, everyone is different. Google "skin shear, blisters". Friction and moisture combined are major secondary factors. Moisture level depends on footwear, socks, weather, how much one sweats. Friction depends on footwear, socks, even walking poles. Friction causes skin layers weakened by dampness to shear apart, blister forms in the gaps between layers. Some walkers swear that vaseline or double sock layers are the answer but they are talking about their own personal experience and genetic makeup and shouldn't generalise. Every time this discussion comes up, many will say "All you have to do is...." What works for one doesn't necessarily work for everybody else. Please search for other threads/posts.

Buen Camino, - Mike

@superleggera you'll be lucky to find albergues with the windows open. Yes to the gloves. And I take waterproof ones (Dexshell or Sealskinz - or ski gloves) because I use trekking sticks so my hands are exposed. If you don't use sticks then you can always put your hands in your pockets. Tea bags? Depends how important they are to you. I adopt the local food but do get excited if I come across vegemite, and on our last camino together my husband would have traded me for some breakfast marmalade.

So what you're saying is I should also bring a gas mask, yes....?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the excellent replies and civilised discourse so far, quite a range of opinions being voiced here.

A lot of good info given on rain gear.
Would advise you to take a good long sleeve thermal top
We've had snow in May and these saved our bacon!
Also pack all clothes in clear plastic bags inside the rucksack
The rain covers supplied with the rucksacks,we found to be useless so now we take a few black plastic bin liners ....and if it rains,just cover the whole rucksack with one..works brilliantly

Re the tea bags. We never go without them.. Did you know the Irish even drink more tea than the English!! .we have a small electric element which boils the water...great cup of tea in the morning or when we reach our destination
Either take some powdered milk or you can get little pods of milk in .
Poundland..weigh very little
We do drink coffee during the day..husband has coffee con leche but I keep to the black stuff as I find too much of the milk is sickly
And yes,you are right..the coffee does have a laxative effect
For me, the little added weight of the element is worth it for the tea and it fits nicely inside 2 plastic cups
Enjoy your Camino and keep warm
Best wishes Annette

This is perhaps more of what I was getting at, do the albergues have basic tea/coffee making facilities or is it case of walking to the nearest cafe etc...?

Yes, I'm a big fan of plastic bags too :)

Madam, I'll pretend I didn't read the comment about 'powdered milk' or even worse...'milk pods'....good grief woman!

I walked the CF in March/April and the first ten days or so were cold in the
mornings. We had snow and rain. I used poles so was glad I had gloves with
me. The Montane gloves I took were waterproof and had little pads on the
fingers to let you use your touch sensitive phone whilst wearing them. My
phone at the time didn't have a touch sensitive screen but it was still a feature
I liked to point out to people.

Tea is available in Spain but be careful when ordering. If you're asked if you
want black tea say yes.This seemed to be the way it was decided if you wanted
real tea as opposed to some herbal infusion. Ask for milk after the tea's been
brewed. We learnt the hard way. In Sahagun we asked for tea with milk. The
barman looked surprised. He put two tea bags in teapot and then filled it with
steamed milk. It was a lingering taste

Buen Camino

Sir, I never cease to be amazed at the depths of depravity to which 'the foreigner' sinks in the preparation of the 'cuppa'....

Your tale is shocking and serves as a solemn warning to us all...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would say no but @superleggera looking at your picture I do say that if you bring it you should use it on yourself after showering to give other pilgrims something to write home about.:)

Sir, that is an excellent idea and I might just do that!

Of course it will also help soften the shoe wax I apply to the top of my head, enabling me to buff it to a deeper shine.

Last edited:
I like comfort as much as the next guy (or gal), but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the blow dryer bit. My gear is the best I can afford, but always as little as possible. I try to be as prepared as I can be, but I factor in some discomfort. Because I think that is the whole point of walking through a country. Otherwise I'd take my car.
Reading through this thread one thing stood out for me: Scruffy's beautiful story about his muddy faceplant in France. I bet he didn't like it at the time, but to me it adds colour. I would consider it a better memory than blow drying my knickers in an albergue or trying to keep mud off my boots.
Expect some difficulties and maybe even some hardship. I've learned to embrace it. They make for the best memories and stories you'll have. Isn't it supposed to be a bit of an adventure?

I'll bet it was a little bit more than 'he didn't like it', I can imagine a fair collection of four letter Old English and Anglo-Saxon expletives being aired while he picked the mud out of his teeth.

Sir, I would consider it an unwise idea to admit to this forum and the wider world that you wear knickers, look what happened to David Beckham when he admitted to indulging in a bit'o Posh's... :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Confirm. There is an ongoing battle between those who close windows and those who open them!!!

Hmmm, seems as though the gas mask might be an essential item then.....bowler hat, gas mask, bowler hat, gas mask....decisions, decisions....

Quite a few replies regarding marmalade, thank you. It was mentioned with my tongue firmly in my cheek but I'm now thinking that perhaps I should bring my own. I do like the Spanish Euro-style fruit spread stuff but from the sounds of it maybe a small pot of dark, ultra bitter aged Vintage Breakfast Seville Orange Marmalade (Coarse Cut, of course) would be up there with trekking poles on the list of must-takes...?

A few mentions of Marmite/Vegemite too (no difference of course).....oh dear, there are obviously some very disturbed people walking the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No such thing as weak tastless coffee in Spain. You will discover the joys of the cafe con leche. And yes, it may get your bowels going, bit better at the bar while enjoying your coffee than on the road. Plan accordingly, that's all.

Madam, thank you but I'm not sure I want my bowels going whilst standing at the bar enjoying a coffee.

The thing with coffee is that it has to be good and strong to be worth drinking, ask any Italian but unfortunately when it is good and strong it makes you need to poo as well, ask any Italian. :)
I average 2.5 pots of coffee or 2 large French Press pots a day November through April. I am Italian and it does not make me need to poo. Lucky I guess? Or my body is used to it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

The thing with coffee is that it has to be good and strong to be worth drinking, ask any Italian but unfortunately when it is good and strong it makes you need to poo as well, ask any Italian. Start drinking too much coffee and I'll have to hump around a load of toilet paper with me too. The alternative is to drink weak tasteless coffee but who wants to live like an American....? :)

The coffee in Spain is good, and I drank gallons of it probably, but no better or no worse than coffee I've had in other parts of the world, and of course like anywhere else, the quality of the coffee will vary with wherever you get it. Coffee at one cafe may be better than coffee at another. All I know is that in the morning I want (need?) a cup of joe, and the java in Spain fit the bill with no problems.
Most people seem to get the cafe con leche in Spain, it's obviously weaker with all that milk in it but if you want it stronger and with no milk, order cafe Americano, or cafe solo. That's right, mate. You want it stronger you order it American style....:cool:
One thing that I found to be insufficient is what they consider breakfast in Spain. A piece of toasted bread with jam? You gotta be kidding. That ain't no breakfast. One of my first missions every morning was to find a cafe where I could get a halfway proper breakfast to fuel my walking morning.
and yeah, you will encounter the occasional pilgrim along the Camino that still believes it is medieval times, the black plague is about and wants all the windows closed in the albergue for the night for fear the night air will make them sick (really?). I had a couple of heated discussions with fellow pilgrims insisting on doing that.
cheers

Okay, perhaps TMI!:rolleyes:
Honnestly, the cafe con leche and its effect on my gut is key to my happy, and non polluting the scenary, walks. Have coffee, have a second coffee, wait for gut to rumble, take care of rumbling gut, and head out the door for a walk until it's ensalada mixta time.

If you are aware of your own mechanics you can keep the Camino cleaner.

I have made this suggestion before when someone asked if they should take a hair dryer or a portable electric kettle: a good electric heat gun would dry hair or clothes or boots, would warm up a chilly dorm and at a pinch could boil water for tea or cook some bacon and eggs. But for the good reasons @whariwharangi gives above you might make yourself very unpopular :)

Ha! Thanks for all your replies...perhaps I should qualify myself by admitting that I am actually quite a seasoned traveller to most of Western Europe through work and leisure, been to the Basque Country in France and Spain many times before and so I'm familiar with the local variations in coffee etc.

You can of course get a great 'cup o'joe' anywhere if you look hard enough and spend enough...I usually measure a place by how many BAD cups of coffee I've had to suffer. I might have been lucky so far, but I've never had a bad one in the Netherlands....even the 20 cent Douwe Egberts vending machine stuff in the lobby of the Mercure in Amsterdam was good. Of course the Netherlands and England have a history of coffee appreciation going back to the mid 17th century starting with the coffee houses of London and Amsterdam so I'd expect the Dutch to pour a good cup.

Spain was generally OK but I remember one working trip to Madrid where in search of the best coffee, I ended up driving to the local Repsol petrol station every morning for my 'cafe con leche' which was made from a Nespresso machine....

In case anyone is interested, in my experience generally the highest incidence of bad coffees has most often been in France.

I'm trying to discern/learn what to look out for more particularly when travelling on the Camino rather than just travelling to Spain, the two will obviously be very different.

Most people seem to get the cafe con leche in Spain, it's obviously weaker with all that milk in it but if you want it stronger and with no milk, order cafe Americano, or cafe solo. That's right, mate. You want it stronger you order it American style....:cool:
cheers

Cafe Americano is nothing but a shot of espresso diluted in hot water. So stronger? Nope. The difference between and Americano and a cafe con leche is what else is in the cup,other than the espresso: milk vs water. Why ask for a cafe con leche: to get some protein and carbs to,get you going on your walk. The ratio is about 4:1 and it is served in an 6 or 8 once glass or mug.

A piece of toasted bread with jam? You gotta be kidding. That ain't no breakfast. One of my first missions every morning was to find a cafe where I could get a halfway proper breakfast to fuel my walking morning.

You're damn straight there, brother!

After I get up, I'm sure as hell gonna make sure I'm gettin' some major league chow-time before I walk a goddam' mile.

View attachment 31181 View attachment 31182 View attachment 31183
These pics from CF, April 2106. As I said in much detail above (post #24), when it rains, I'm glad to have gaiters. I'm not wearing them in the middle pic so had to wash my pants that night. Steady rain all day in top (Meseta) pic - my boots got wet through that day.

May I suggest that posting without reading previous posts is counter-productive to the uninitiated. I (almost) always write with a new forum member in mind as an imaginary reader.

Assertions are not arguments. Detailed info helps people make informed judgements.

Buen camino, - Mike
Thanks, Mike. You said something that is so true about us newbies. It's very hard to get the gist of a post when abbreviations/acronyms are used. hint, hint you seasoned Pilgrims...(smile)
Marigold Mama

You're damn straight there, brother!

After I get up, I'm sure as hell gonna make sure I'm getting some major league chow-time before I walk a goddam' mile.

(In English: Yes old bean, I completely agree with you. Once arisen from my slumber, I shall endeavour to seek and enjoy a hearty feast before engaging in any further walking.)
Am afraid all you'll likely find is croissant, chocolate croissant or tortilla de patata, with or without chorizo.

Cafe Americano is nothing but a shot of espresso diluted in hot water. So stronger? Nope. The difference between and Americano and a cafe con leche is what else is in the cup,other than the espresso: milk vs water. Why ask for a cafe con leche: to get some protein and carbs to,get you going on your walk. The ratio is about 4:1 and it is served in an 6 or 8 once glass or mug.
Don't know bout dat.
The times I ordered Americano or solo, it looked to me like they were basically just putting black coffee in my cup and that's what it tasted like. I mean you can see them dispensing it out of the machine.
While difficult sometimes, in a lot of places I found that I could easily find somewhere in the morning with tortillas (omelette with eggs, potatoes, cheese) available. That was a good source of early morning carbs. A shot of milk in the cup of coffee just ain't gonna cut it.

tea bags !!
All I know is that I had the same problem and had to make alternate tea and coffee breaks !!
I came to love the Cortados, as they are the best in Spain, but I developed upset tummy due to overkill so every other stop was a tea break !
I developed a routine whereby I communicated by mime the way I would like your of tea;
In Spain, it seams, tea are considered for little old ladies so at first you get a dainty coffee cup , saucer and all.
But you are thirsty and you want a mug, and they don´t always have that.
I asked for the big glasses that most cafés have, (pic). Most shy away from letting the boiling water jet from the espressomachine shoot into the glass and providently place a spoon to take the heat, but it has always let to a succesful large glass af tea. They ususally have a Té Negro in their te a bag assortment.
After which they point out, usually, with disgust saying that I need to take out the teabag, but I say I want it strong and bitter and then leave it in there for quite a while!. Peregrino loco, is what I sometimes hear.
Next, you take a picture of your successful result on your camera/phone and show what you want at the next tea stop!!
Had a lot of laughs from most proprietors in the end when they see how grateful I get when the tea was a good´un...

Attachments

• DSCF4143.JPG
    DSCF4143.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Don't know bout dat.
The times I ordered Americano or solo, it looked to me like they were basically just putting black coffee in my cup and that's what it tasted like. I mean you can see them dispensing it out of the machine.

Solo is espresso allongé straight out of the machine. Americano is diluted. Similar to filter/drip coffee, but faster and with the one machine.

Solo is espresso allongé straight out of the machine. Americano is diluted. Similar to filter/drip coffee, but faster and with the one machine.

shite, I don't know....never researched it that much :D
all I know is that is was stronger tasting and gave me my morning caffeine junkie fix

Actually, I think research has shown that espresso produces less caffeine in the drink than does f i filter coffe. The longer hot water is in contact with the beans, the stronger the caffeine.
In the espresso is however the stronger extract of the coffee bean due to extreme heat and pressure and that might upset your stomach in another way !!

€149,-
However Cortado is the best, order Regular, or Grand Mas for large mug with extra milk

Superleggera,

Sounds like you've got enough humor and wit for trek. Closed windows are big on the camino, wash early, extra pair of socks think on, and, we AMERICANS have great: Tea, Coffee, and Coca-Cola too, I do not drink any of it, no caffeine ingester, but still.... Watch out for the: Mud!

Buen camino

Hey, now you talkin there, Mr. Chips.... my kind of vernacular :D

Although born here, I suppose I'm not your average Englishman, which is why I'm able to understand your language.... 'Murcan. If I was a world class footballer (which of course I am every night I shut my eyes and go to sleep and dream) then according to the FIFA eligibility rules regarding place of birth, parent's and grandparent's nationality etc, I could actually play for England, Germany, Texas, Bolivia or Lithuania. Note I say Texas, because as most intelligent people know, the Republic of Texas is not and has never been part of the United States of 'Merica.

I can see they are ganging up on you regarding the Americano coffee thing and the long distant spirit of Davy Crockett in me doesn't like those kind of Alamo odds, so I may have to take a stand next to you and open up a can'o whoop-ass on 'em....

I worked overseas for several years and in our camp dining facility we had a coffee maker and an electric boiling kettle available 24/7. One time I asked our camp medic, who was British, if she would like a cup of tea, and she informed me that the tea bags they had there (Lipton) was not proper tea, and she then handed me a couple of the ones she used (Earl Grey I believe) and told me this is a proper tea, ha ha. I gotta say, it was good tea.

I worked overseas for several years and in our camp dining facility we had a coffee maker and an electric boiling kettle available 24/7. One time I asked our camp medic, who was British, if she would like a cup of tea, and she informed me that the tea bags they had there (Lipton) was not proper tea, and she then handed me a couple of the ones she used (Earl Grey I believe) and told me this is a proper tea, ha ha. I gotta say, it was good tea.

Hmm, Earl Grey has a unique flavour because it's flavoured with Bergamot Oil (a type of bitter citrus fruit from the Mediterrnean area)- it's an 'acquired' taste. You're supposedly not supposed to put milk in it but I know plenty that do. Everyone has their favourites, some like Chinese Lapsang Souchong which is quite smoky, some Indian Darjeeling which is very light. My favourite single variety would be a good strong bright Kenya tea but most teas you buy are blends of different types to achieve a certain 'taste' and arguably the best of those types, and my favourite I have to admit, would be a strong 'English Breakfast' which is usually a blend of Assam (India), Kenya and Ceylon (Sri Lanka) teas. Teas from other nearby areas of East Africa are sometimes used as well or instead of Kenya tea.

Bet you weren't expecting an answer like that eh...? Learn that lot off by heart and you could even bluff your way into the upcoming wedding reception of Prince 'the Hustler' Harry and Ms Markle....

(c'mon, they're getting married for sure....)

Last edited:
Although born here, I suppose I'm not your average Englishman, which is why I'm able to understand your language.... 'Murcan. If I was a world class footballer (which of course I am every night I shut my eyes and go to sleep and dream) then according to the FIFA eligibility rules regarding place of birth, parent's and grandparent's nationality etc, I could actually play for England, Germany, Texas, Bolivia or Lithuania. Note I say Texas, because as most intelligent people know, the Republic of Texas is not and has never been part of the United States of 'Merica.

I can see they are ganging up on you regarding the Americano coffee thing and the long distant spirit of Davy Crockett in me doesn't like those kind of Alamo odds, so despite you bein' a chicken-chasin' sister-lovin' cousin-marryin' banjo-playin' hill-billy Southern good 'ole boy I may have to take a stand next to you and open up a can'o whoop-ass on 'em.... yee-haa!

OK, that's enough for tonight, I've wasted enough of my life on this for a weekend...

Thanks for the replies folks, keep 'em coming!

ha ha....yup, I lived in Texas for many years and have many relatives there, and yes it's a proudly autonomous feeling in that great state. Gotta love the barbecue brisket there.
I'm the product of a Bolivian mother and a "Murican" father....so I suppose I meet eligibility under FIFA there as well, but have never played a lick soccer (you notice I didn't say football ha ha)

That's interesting Mr Lee. Born here, but my formative early years spent in TX then like a fine diamond is finished away from the mine, my 'cutting and polishing' was done here in England :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike. You said something that is so true about us newbies. It's very hard to get the gist of a post when abbreviations/acronyms are used. hint, hint you seasoned Pilgrims...(smile)
Marigold Mama
Thanks Mama,

I do use the abbreviations because typing Saint Jean P...... and other long phrases does my head in. I'm sure you've come across the main ones:

SJPDP = Saint Jean Pied De Port
CF = Camino Frances (sometimes called "Camino De Santiago", correct but not specific)
SDC = Santiago De Compostela.

I've only walked the CF so I have trouble recognising abbreviations and nicknames of other Caminos.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Gators and gloves take up very little space and don't weigh much. If temps will be cool in the morning and there's a likelihood of wet weather, I'd take them. If it turns out to be warm and dry, they're not so heavy that it really matters.

Thanks for all the answers provided to my original post, I now know a lot more than I did and enough to make some better informed decisions regarding what to take. I don't have the time to reply to any more answers I'm afraid so I'll turn my alerts off for this thread but it's been a pleasure communicating with you. Obviously other people will see it and hopefully benefit from the wisdom generously provided by yourselves and if some of the less relevant off-topic comments we've made manage to raise a smile or two even better...

Thanks Mama,

I do use the abbreviations because typing Saint Jean P...... and other long phrases does my head in. I'm sure you've come across the main ones:
Buen Camino, - Mike
The confusing one is P: Portuguese or Primitivo? I would propose PT for Portuguese, but then which: PTCt (Central), PTCs (Coastal), PTI (Interior). :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

€149,-
I see Superleggers is planing his walk for 2107 !!!
So he's still got loads of time for more research.

Army trick from the Arctic for drying: Put boots in the bottom of your sleeping bag overnight. Stuff them with newspaper first. Warm, soft and dry in the morning. Socks: Put one sock in each armpit overnight: Warm, soft and dry in the morning. Yes, I know it may sound discusting but it works.;) But carrying 3 pairs will relieve you of these problems.

Tea in Spain can be interesting. My Spanish is basic, however I did learn to say:
Té negro en una olla con leche en el lado - Black tea in a pot with milk on the side
This ensured that I no longer got a cup of luke warm milk, with a tea bag dropped in.

€83,-
I spelled humor correctly. Why you English think you know how to properly: speak, read, and write English is beyond me.
I am certain you and all others who meet you will have a buen camino or
Aww shucks, you 'MURCANS are OK as well I guess. I do like your undoubted optimism too...for instance, you think you have great Tea, Coffee etc and you're entitled to believe that but over here we would describe that level of hopeful delusion as licking your arse and calling it chocolate.

(you spelt humour incorrectly by the way....)
at least a fun one.

...finally and most importantly, what is the situation with tea bags? I'm trying to cut my espresso habit and only drink coffee with breakfast these days, any other hot drinks during the day are tea. Should I bring my own tea bags..? Only fellow Britons along with Kiwis, Aussies and the Irish will truly appreciate and be able to answer this question I think. I know there are Americans out there who think they can buy and drink tea at home, but believe me, whatever it is you think you're drinking, it ain't tea as far as the civilised parts of the world are concerned :)

Whoah!!! I have walked 8 different caminos and never needed a hair dryer. Sheesh!! Just weight. Take 3 pairs of undies and socks, one on, one off and one drying and save the weight and hassle!
You can get all kinds of tea in Spain, in my experience, te classico or te normal is ordinary tea and then te verde or green tea. If you prefer some exotic blend then bring your own but supermercados have heaps of tea.
I get cold so I always bring gloves as part of my 'warmies', woolly beanie, gloves, superwool longsleeved undershirt, black, that doubles as a 'good' top in towns.
Keep your pack to a minimum and your back will thank you.

hee hee very funny! You should be carrying the small, coreless roll of "camper's TP" anyway, as there are loads of places that have none. Including, occasionally, Xunta albergues in Galicia. Not to mention bars, restaurants, etc.
The reason I will carry tea bags in future, si Dios quiere, is that a cup of anything hot warms the core on a chill, rainy day when you get to the place you will stay--if you're getting chilled, crawling into the sleeping bag doesn't work as you're not warm enough to warm it!
Regarding iced tea, the Spanish, like the poor deluded English, are unclear on the whole concept of "iced tea." If the bar doesn't sell cans of Nestea, anyone wanting iced tea will get a glass of almost-hot tea with a single lonely ice cube floating in it. Just in case anyone reading this thinks that iced tea is universal, it ain't. :) It's also almost impossible to find tomato juice to drink--and cold, salty tomato juice is just the thing if you've been walking in hot weather.
When arriving at your stopping place, you should always do your chores right away, because of the drying issue. Shower/change, launder, then do whatever interesting or edifying things you have in mind for that place. (Oh, and tumble drying can and does shrink some hiking socks.) We always tried to stop around 2 or so in the afternoon, and be willing to stay in a pension if no spaces were open in the albergue. I have used my piece of paracord to make an impromptu clothesline in more than one hotel room bathroom, too.
The only thing that I can see a hair dryer being good for is if your feet begin to get athlete's foot fungus, the dryer is the only way to be sure the toes and soles are dry. But if you carry the antifungal creme and alcohol hand sanitizer and use them at the first sign of an itch, it's likely that you can skip that fun experience.
(It's so nice not to need to apologize to airport security that they have to touch those nasty stinky botes.)
One thing that no one seems to mention that I have gotten use out of every single time is a hussif: a little wrap/case with needles, thread, a pin or two, and a scissors. I also tucked inside one of those tiny screwdrivers for glasses. For repair of whatever. Mine is homemade from a piece of fleece and a bit of felt and a rubber band, with separate scissors case, but I suspect that you can find ideas on how to do one with an Altoids tin and various other things.

Regarding iced tea, the Spanish, like the poor deluded English, are unclear on the whole concept of "iced tea." If the bar doesn't sell cans of Nestea, anyone wanting iced tea will get a glass of almost-hot tea with a single lonely ice cube floating in it. Just in case anyone reading this thinks that iced tea is universal, it ain't. :) .
Tell me abou it. Because I often have to drive down to the US for dog shows I end up at Mc Donald's for caffeine. I ask for tea at the drive through and get thos cold cardboard cup back.

Eugh? Don't think so. And tell the girl at the window.

It's tea she says. No it ain't, says I.

Apparently in the US of As, if you want a brew, hot water pour over camelia sinensis, you must ask for "hot tea". Otherwise they will sell you this cold syruppy brown liquid which they call "ice tea".

Me thinks the neighbours to the south showed another one of their bearings when an actor called him self "Ice-T".

Speaking of Camelia Sinensis, if you have been calling anthing powedery ina paper bag "quality tea", take a look at thos glorious tea shop in Montreal. Four tea fans, going on anual trips in Asia and Africa shopping for their annual stock, learning about and from local growers. A little gem of a business. But be warned. Like them too much and your Camino budget will become a "tea budget".
http://camellia-sinensis.com/fr/

Tell me abou it. Because I often have to drive down to the US for dog shows I end up at Mc Donald's for caffeine. I ask for tea at the drive through and get thos cold cardboard cup back.

Eugh? Don't think so. And tell the girl at the window.

It's tea she says. No it ain't, says I.

Apparently in the US of As, if you want a brew, hot water pour over camelia sinensis, you must ask for "hot tea". Otherwise they will sell you this cold syruppy brown liquid which they call "ice tea".

Me thinks the neighbours to the south showed another one of their bearings when an actor called him self "Ice-T".
Ah, you must have been south of the Mason-Dixon Line. "Tea" in the northern US is a hot beverage in a little bitty cup. If you want the other kind, you have to say "iced tea." In the southern US, "tea" is the cold stuff in a BIG glass. (Unless the seller is stingy and gives you some useless 10 or 12 ounce thing.) And, often, "tea" means it's not only cold, it's sweet tea. In the southern US if you want the hot stuff you have to say "hot tea." And if you're watching sugar intake, it's useful to remember to say "UNsweet tea" when getting that lovely iced tea on a hot day. Well, it's lovely if it hasn't sat in a jug for a couple of hours getting that nasty taste.

Ah, you must have been south of the Mason-Dixon Line. "Tea" in the northern US is a hot beverage in a little bitty cup. If you want the other kind, you have to say "iced tea." In the southern US, "tea" is the cold stuff in a BIG glass. (Unless the seller is stingy and gives you some useless 10 or 12 ounce thing.) And, often, "tea" means it's not only cold, it's sweet tea. In the southern US if you want the hot stuff you have to say "hot tea." And if you're watching sugar intake, it's useful to remember to say "UNsweet tea" when getting that lovely iced tea on a hot day. Well, it's lovely if it hasn't sat in a jug for a couple of hours getting that nasty taste.
No!!!! This was Newpaltz, NY! Clearly the staff missed the history class on the Boston Tea Party! :eek:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am hoping this year will be different as I will be on the trail too during that time ;-) I am expecting and calling for some rainy days but mainly fair to good weather ;-)

No -- an unnecessary and non-weight-free luxury item that mostly will just occupy room in your pack that you should keep as light as possible, even in the cooler months ; a case could be made for it for those walking in a group of 3 people or more, where such items useful for all can be carried by only one.

Definitely a good idea !! They take very little room, weigh little, and even if you only use them 3-6 times, you'll thank yourself for having them.

Spanish "tea" is even worse than in an ordinary French bar or café -- and unlike France where decent or even good tea exists, and is enjoyed by some of the natives, Spain has not even a superficial knowledge of the beverage as such.

OTOH, they have the same ignorance of espresso, so that you won't be able to indulge in that habit anyway, whereas their café con leche actually turns out to be a great energy beverage for the sweaty pilgrim. (if you don't overdo it)

oh -- or the chocolate, locally (yummy)

hmmm yeah, teabags sounds like a good idea

Actually, that's more debatable -- Spanish jams OTOH are pretty good, and can be excellent.

Fun Fact: Italian Cappucino = Spanish Cafe con Leche!

No -- the recipes are not the same.

Cappucino
is quite unique (American attempts to copy it are unsuccessful) ; ordinary Spanish café con leche is like some French café au lait (but not like the best Parisian breakfast version, or the properly done café crème variety), though the quality version is more particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.