Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Can anyone help me with transit times at CDG?

Year of past OR future Camino
I am arriving at CGD T2 on August 22 and was wondering if anyone could give me any idea how long it will take to process through customs/immigration/covid, collect a bag and walk to the TGV train station attached to T2. Obviously concerned with times in 2021.

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

andycohn

CF (12-15); Muxia (15); Portuguese, Primitivo (17); Norte, Ingles, VF partial (18), Le Puy (19)
Unfortunately, this is one of those questions that is impossible to answer. It will depend entirely on whether your plane is on time, on how many other planes arrive at CDG at more or less the same time, and even how quickly you get off the plane. It will also depend on whether you're an EU citizen or not, and the relative number of EU citizens vs. non-EU citizens on your plane. None of this can be predicted in advance. Coming non-stop from the US, It took us only an hour to get through immigration and to the CDG station in September, 2019. But we had only our carry-on packs, and didn't face a big back-up in immigration. I wouldn't plan on being so lucky. Personally, I wouldn't make a non-changeable reservation on a train departing less than 3 hours after my scheduled arrival.

Thank you for your response. I am arriving from Canada at 8:30 (if on time) and the train is due to depart at 11:03. So that's close. If i do not take that train i won't get to SJPP the same night. So i suspect i would need to do carry-on at least. Again, thanks

Grousedoctor

Let me encourage you to take your packs in the cabin with you. If your bag is delayed, that will cause a number of new problems for you getting out of Paris and on the SJPP and your Camino. We regularly travel out of Montreal with a 36L pack and have never had a problem with it being allowed as carry-on. We did check our polls and knives. Once they made it fine, the next time, they didn’t. It’s easy enough to pick up both items in SJPP.

Dee Langton

2002 2013 - 2017
I am arriving at CGD T2 on August 22 and was wondering if anyone could give me any idea how long it will take to process through customs/immigration/covid, collect a bag and walk to the TGV train station attached to T2. Obviously concerned with times in 2021.
I did that exact journey on the afternoon of Monday 5th July. It took about an hour. The slowest part was passport control, about 20 minutes. When I arrived in the TGV station I couldn't see an information desk. The staff at the gates were very helpful in directing me to the correct area. There weren't that many people in the airport but things may change after July 19th when travel restrictions are eased across Europe.

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-19
August in France is always fraught. Layer post-Covid procedural transitions, staffing changes, etc on top. Add to that the unfortunate fact that trying to navigate CDG - even for French speakers - is quite the nightmare all by itself, because the signage assumes you already know where you're supposed to go. Lots of good advice here on improving your Plan A, but I would also have a solid Plan B.

If you have to use Plan B, please think of this as the beneficial start of your pilgrimage, testing your patience and resilience as the walking will, rather than "my wonderful trip got off on the wrong foot and so it's ruined before it even begins".

Remember to buy a couple of those wonderful sandwiches in the TGV station cafe before boarding.

Marcus-UK

Old Git
Camino Ingles 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017 Considering Invierno late (2020) In lieu of VdlP (2020)
Paris CDG is notorious for losing checked luggage. I used to travel regularly to the south of France on Business and they mislaid my luggage on five occasions. If you can avoid hold luggage you have a better chance of clearing immigration and catching your train.

rabtacoma

Camino Leon to Santiago October 2019
As a back up If you find yourself delayed you could always taxi (about 55 E) to Montparnasse.

Judy's Way

Autumn (2015) and Spring (2019)
Several planes must have arrived at the Charles de Gaul Airport in Paris from Montreal at the exact same time as ours in 2015. What a madhouse it was! It took an hour to wind our way along the snaking lineup to the border police to show them our passports. We laughed because the read-out on the electronic sign never showed the wait time to be more than nine minutes. They lied! Then to get to the train station at the other end of the airport, we were among a crowd pushing through an even bigger crowd of Arabs, obviously very rich and dressed in their finest whites. With a few colourfully dressed Africans and fully-shrouded Muslims in the mix, it was quite an unusual cultural scene.

faithgomez

My son and I were there (CDG) March 2019, getting bag took about an hour, not sure why. We landed around 08:00 their time. The airport hustle and bustle picked up during the wait, but we cleared customs in about 15 minutes. The train ride was another 30 minutes, tops. Hope that helps.

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Frances (2014 & 2019) Camino Portuguese (2016) - debating one more (2024)
I have flown into CGD twice to start the Camino Frances. On my first trip, I pondered how I would kill the 5-hour time delay between my plane in France arriving and boarding the TGV. Unfortunately, my plane was delayed, and I arrived in France four hours late. I finally got to Montparnasse thanks to a wonderful shuttle bus driver. As I got on the TGV, the doors literally closed behind me. Very stressful; however, I was lucky as my fellow passengers had missed their connections. On my last trip in 2019, I decided to stay overnight in Montparnasse. Montparnasse to Bayonne is just under six hours, then the shorter local train trip to SJPP from memory was about an hour. Coming from New Zealand, arriving jet-lagged, I wanted to avoid the added stress of worrying about connections.
I had a great dinner followed by a good nights sleep in Montparnasse.

Last edited:

Judy's Way

Several planes must have arrived at the Charles de Gaul Airport in Paris from Montreal at the exact same time as ours in 2015. What a madhouse it was! It took an hour to wind our way along the snaking lineup to the border police to show them our passports. We laughed because the read-out on the electronic sign never showed the wait time to be more than nine minutes. They lied! Then to get to the train station at the other end of the airport, we were among a crowd pushing through an even bigger crowd of Arabs, obviously very rich and dressed in their finest whites. With a few colourfully dressed Africans and fully-shrouded Muslims in the mix, it was quite an unusual cultural scene.
In 2015 we didn’t have a COVID issue/tests and our backpacks were carried onboard so no luggage to pick up.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Thank you for your response. I am arriving from Canada at 8:30 (if on time) and the train is due to depart at 11:03. So that's close. If i do not take that train i won't get to SJPP the same night. So i suspect i would need to do carry-on at least. Again, thanks
Always, Always, Always carry your pack on the plane. It will fit in the overhead and it is allowed. The chance of losing your pack and then having to buy everything again is expensive and time consuming. Did I say always take your pack on the plane?

Judy's Way

Always, Always, Always carry your pack on the plane. It will fit in the overhead and it is allowed. The chance of losing your pack and then having to buy everything again is expensive and time consuming. Did I say always take your pack on the plane?
Absolutely! Carry on backpack only! Almost always collapsible hiking poles are allowed in the carry-on although once at the Stansted Airport I had to use them as intended (a walking aid) in the airport.

GailGwyn

part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
In April 2019, they list my husband's checked pack. When an official saw my pack, he recognised it as looking the same as my husband's, which was stored in a corner of the airport along with several other 'lost' luggage. Next time, we're hoping to travel to Europe by train!

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads