• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can anyone help me with transit times at CDG?

Martin Doyle

Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2022
I am arriving at CGD T2 on August 22 and was wondering if anyone could give me any idea how long it will take to process through customs/immigration/covid, collect a bag and walk to the TGV train station attached to T2. Obviously concerned with times in 2021.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Unfortunately, this is one of those questions that is impossible to answer. It will depend entirely on whether your plane is on time, on how many other planes arrive at CDG at more or less the same time, and even how quickly you get off the plane. It will also depend on whether you're an EU citizen or not, and the relative number of EU citizens vs. non-EU citizens on your plane. None of this can be predicted in advance. Coming non-stop from the US, It took us only an hour to get through immigration and to the CDG station in September, 2019. But we had only our carry-on packs, and didn't face a big back-up in immigration. I wouldn't plan on being so lucky. Personally, I wouldn't make a non-changeable reservation on a train departing less than 3 hours after my scheduled arrival.

Thank you for your response. I am arriving from Canada at 8:30 (if on time) and the train is due to depart at 11:03. So that's close. If i do not take that train i won't get to SJPP the same night. So i suspect i would need to do carry-on at least. Again, thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Let me encourage you to take your packs in the cabin with you. If your bag is delayed, that will cause a number of new problems for you getting out of Paris and on the SJPP and your Camino. We regularly travel out of Montreal with a 36L pack and have never had a problem with it being allowed as carry-on. We did check our polls and knives. Once they made it fine, the next time, they didn’t. It’s easy enough to pick up both items in SJPP.

I am arriving at CGD T2 on August 22 and was wondering if anyone could give me any idea how long it will take to process through customs/immigration/covid, collect a bag and walk to the TGV train station attached to T2. Obviously concerned with times in 2021.
I did that exact journey on the afternoon of Monday 5th July. It took about an hour. The slowest part was passport control, about 20 minutes. When I arrived in the TGV station I couldn't see an information desk. The staff at the gates were very helpful in directing me to the correct area. There weren't that many people in the airport but things may change after July 19th when travel restrictions are eased across Europe.

August in France is always fraught. Layer post-Covid procedural transitions, staffing changes, etc on top. Add to that the unfortunate fact that trying to navigate CDG - even for French speakers - is quite the nightmare all by itself, because the signage assumes you already know where you're supposed to go. Lots of good advice here on improving your Plan A, but I would also have a solid Plan B.

If you have to use Plan B, please think of this as the beneficial start of your pilgrimage, testing your patience and resilience as the walking will, rather than "my wonderful trip got off on the wrong foot and so it's ruined before it even begins".

Remember to buy a couple of those wonderful sandwiches in the TGV station cafe before boarding.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Paris CDG is notorious for losing checked luggage. I used to travel regularly to the south of France on Business and they mislaid my luggage on five occasions. If you can avoid hold luggage you have a better chance of clearing immigration and catching your train.

As a back up If you find yourself delayed you could always taxi (about 55 E) to Montparnasse.

Several planes must have arrived at the Charles de Gaul Airport in Paris from Montreal at the exact same time as ours in 2015. What a madhouse it was! It took an hour to wind our way along the snaking lineup to the border police to show them our passports. We laughed because the read-out on the electronic sign never showed the wait time to be more than nine minutes. They lied! Then to get to the train station at the other end of the airport, we were among a crowd pushing through an even bigger crowd of Arabs, obviously very rich and dressed in their finest whites. With a few colourfully dressed Africans and fully-shrouded Muslims in the mix, it was quite an unusual cultural scene.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My son and I were there (CDG) March 2019, getting bag took about an hour, not sure why. We landed around 08:00 their time. The airport hustle and bustle picked up during the wait, but we cleared customs in about 15 minutes. The train ride was another 30 minutes, tops. Hope that helps.

I have flown into CGD twice to start the Camino Frances. On my first trip, I pondered how I would kill the 5-hour time delay between my plane in France arriving and boarding the TGV. Unfortunately, my plane was delayed, and I arrived in France four hours late. I finally got to Montparnasse thanks to a wonderful shuttle bus driver. As I got on the TGV, the doors literally closed behind me. Very stressful; however, I was lucky as my fellow passengers had missed their connections. On my last trip in 2019, I decided to stay overnight in Montparnasse. Montparnasse to Bayonne is just under six hours, then the shorter local train trip to SJPP from memory was about an hour. Coming from New Zealand, arriving jet-lagged, I wanted to avoid the added stress of worrying about connections.
I had a great dinner followed by a good nights sleep in Montparnasse.

Last edited:
Several planes must have arrived at the Charles de Gaul Airport in Paris from Montreal at the exact same time as ours in 2015. What a madhouse it was! It took an hour to wind our way along the snaking lineup to the border police to show them our passports. We laughed because the read-out on the electronic sign never showed the wait time to be more than nine minutes. They lied! Then to get to the train station at the other end of the airport, we were among a crowd pushing through an even bigger crowd of Arabs, obviously very rich and dressed in their finest whites. With a few colourfully dressed Africans and fully-shrouded Muslims in the mix, it was quite an unusual cultural scene.
In 2015 we didn’t have a COVID issue/tests and our backpacks were carried onboard so no luggage to pick up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for your response. I am arriving from Canada at 8:30 (if on time) and the train is due to depart at 11:03. So that's close. If i do not take that train i won't get to SJPP the same night. So i suspect i would need to do carry-on at least. Again, thanks
Always, Always, Always carry your pack on the plane. It will fit in the overhead and it is allowed. The chance of losing your pack and then having to buy everything again is expensive and time consuming. Did I say always take your pack on the plane?

Always, Always, Always carry your pack on the plane. It will fit in the overhead and it is allowed. The chance of losing your pack and then having to buy everything again is expensive and time consuming. Did I say always take your pack on the plane?
Absolutely! Carry on backpack only! Almost always collapsible hiking poles are allowed in the carry-on although once at the Stansted Airport I had to use them as intended (a walking aid) in the airport.

In April 2019, they list my husband's checked pack. When an official saw my pack, he recognised it as looking the same as my husband's, which was stored in a corner of the airport along with several other 'lost' luggage. Next time, we're hoping to travel to Europe by train!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for all the replies, I have been convinced to carry my pack on board and get sticks and a knife in St. Jean.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back