A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

Can anyone identify this bird?

On three different occasions over the last few days I have seen a very pretty bird. It has a brown body and (I think) a little tuft or “crown” like a peacock. Its wings and tail are black and white striped. Its tail fans out in a v-shape from its body. Does this ring any bells?

Thanks, buen camino,Laurie.

Camino(s) past & future
CF -15, VdlP -15, Sanabres-16. CP -17, Primitivo-17, Mozarabe-18, Norte-18
We also met them as a big population on surrounding of a pigfarm on stage before Monterrubio. Very fancy birds.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
I’d never seen one on the camino before— does it live all over Spain?
Yes, but more commonly in the south. They are all over Asia and the mid-east - and are the national bird of Israel. There is a fascinating amount of mythology about them that goes way back.
Edit - Haha...once again, @Bradypus beat me to it. ;) I saw one on the Frances once, and have been digging in my photos to find it but can't. It was in Navarre someplace, I think Muruzabel.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
19th May 2018 - Sarria to Santiago
Yes, but more commonly in the south. They are all over Asia and the mid-east - and are the national bird of Israel. There is a fascinating amount of mythology about them that goes way back.
Edit - Haha...once again, @Bradypus beat me to it. ;) I saw one on the Frances once, and have been digging in my photos to find it but can't. It was in Navarre someplace, I think Muruzabel.
And they're very at home here in South Africa.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.6%