• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can anyone recommend a bivi bag?

A

Anonymous

I'm still working on my plans for the Canterbury-Santiago walk and concentrating at present on the formidable difficulties the long walk through France. Now I have done enough research to find out where I'm going, it appears that the walk from Dieppe to SJPP will be around 900km, and in many places in France it is going to be very difficult to find affordable overnight accommodation. Consequently I began considering tents, but there was nothing under 2 kilos. Now I've discovered "bivi bags" as a possible solution.Here's one example I have been looking at, with weight under a kilo.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... e8140fa08b

Has anyone got experience of using a bivi bag (particularly in wet conditions... France in May could be very wet!)

Gareth

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Gareth, don't do it! Camping is bad enough sometimes, and I have a good tent, sheepskins, a sleeping mat and a warm sleeping bag. There is actually a good deal of cheap overnight accomodation available here ( I live in central France) i walk with a donkey, and I camp so as to be near her at night, but it can be dire sometimes. May in a barn should be OK, but not a bivi bag. Bivi bags are for the rude licentious soldiery, not normal human beings. Email me privately with your route and let's see what we can find for cheap accomodation along the way.

Gareth Thomas said:
Now I've discovered "bivi bags" as a possible solution.

You can have the red REI-brand bivvy sack I left at Roncesvalles last summer, if it's still on the freebie shelf...heck, I must've abandoned around 5 kilos worth of stuff between St. Jean and Najera...oh, the agony! :wink: :arrow:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Barbara said:
i walk with a donkey, and I camp so as to be near her at night, but it can be dire sometimes. May in a barn should be OK, but not a bivi bag. .... Email me privately with your route and let's see what we can find for cheap accomodation along the way.

Yes, I can see why you wouldn't be in favour of a bivi bag if you walk with a donkey... Donkey + pilgrim in a bivy bag is probably not an ideal sleeping arrangement - though perhaps more restful than a night in a refugio with three snorers! Very grateful for your suggestion of help. Will contact you privately with email address. Many thanks!

Gareth

vinotinto said:
... the red REI-brand bivvy sack I left at Roncesvalles last summer, if it's still on the freebie shelf... :wink: :arrow:

Well thanks, but (A) It won't still be there; and (B) I'll be abandoning mine in the same place, when I finish with France. More to the point, tell me please if you favour a bivi bag (or bivvy sack, wot seems to be the Americanism for this :D ). I haven't used one, so tell me are they OK in wet weather?

Gareth

Gareth Thomas said:
I haven't used one, so tell me are they OK in wet weather?

I never used mine outside - just a couple of times on a couch to try it out. I knew after my first day on the Camino that it would be useless to me. I wasn't going to sleep outside if I could help it, and even if I did, the weather was warm enough so that I'd be OK without it. And I didn't fancy being wrapped up in a cocoon - I don't like being confined (probably a feeling left over from my military days). Plus, someone could run off with my pack, and they'd be long gone before I could free myself from the sack. So, no bivy recommendations from me...sorry! :arrow:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Gareth,

Every person I've come across using a "bivy" has been disappointed. It's fine in perfect weather, but get bad weather and you'll have a bad experience. Take a one man tent until you get to SJPDP and mail it home...you'll be happy you did.

Buen "got no rain in my face" Camino
Arn

Arn said:
It's fine in perfect weather, but get bad weather and you'll have a bad experience. Take a one man tent until you get to SJPDP and mail it home...

Happy Easter. Thanks for your comments, Arn. I'm getting the picture here! Very useful to get a few different views on the matter. You'll be basking in the sunshine of Santiago as I'm still trudging through the driving rain in France in May! Cheers...

Gareth

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.