• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can anyone recommend me a book on the history of the Camino?

Sam Hardman

Time of past OR future Camino
2006, 2007 Camino Francés
2017 SJPdP - Belorado
2018 SJPdP - Fisterra/MuxĂ­a
2019 Camino Primitivo
I recently read Jack Hitt's book "Off the Road" which was great and covered some of the history of the Camino. I wonder if there is anything more detailed available? I would like to read something about how the route developed, how it has changed, the history of the places along the route and the people who have walked it.

Any recommendations?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For a cultural/historical guide to the places along the camino many pilgrims use
The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David M Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson which is available on Amazon in both paperback and as an ebook

See also the many cited in this earlier forum post which is still relevant.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/books-on-the-camino-frances.802/

Here are some basic camino history books in French which you might also find useful:

Barret, Pierre, et Jean-Noel Gurgand, Priez Pour Nous a Compostelle, Paris, Hachette, 1978;
Gicquel, Bernard, La Legende de Compostelle, Paris, Tallandier, s.d.;
Pericard-Mea, Denise,
Compostelle et Cultes de Saint Jacques au Moyen Age, Paris, PUF, 2000;
Rucquoi, Adeline et al., Saint Jacques et la France, Paris, Editions du Cerf, 2003.

Happy research and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The most important person in the revitalization of the Camino de Santiago in the twentieth century was Elías Valiña, Parish priest of O´Cebreiro.

He did his doctoral thesis about the Camino

There is a funny story about him.

In the 70s or 80s, he was painting yellow arrows in the Pyrinees, in the frontier. He was stoped by the Guardia Civil and asked him what was doing. He answered "preparing a large invasion form France" so he was invited to visit the Police Station :)

Last edited:
Like you and many multitudes of pilgrims I have always paid my respects in O Cebreiro to the memory of Don Elias Valiña Sampedro.

Perhaps while you were walking you missed seeing this earlier relevant forum post

Mundicamino today 30/04/2017 reports a most personalized account/memoir by
José Manuel López Valiña,
nephew of Don Elias Valiña Sampedro, the now renown priest from O Cebreiro who painted the first famous yellow arrows along the Camino Frances and did so much more to re-awaken modern interest in the camino. López Valiña researched for and with his uncle and was responsable for the cartography in Don Elias Valiña Sampedro's Guía del Camino de Santiago, published 1984.
See www.mundicamino.com/noticias/8965/galicia-y-el-camino-le-deben-mucho-a-elas-valia/

For basic info re Don Elias Valiña Sampedro's life and publications
see www.igrexa.org/cebreiro/frames.html

The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago is full of history but not one you will find yourself carrying in your backpack for reference.

I don't know; I did. :)

Admittedly, I carried the Kindle version (which the posted link went to). In e-book form it adds no weight at all to the backpack, and is easily searchable for reference. It makes handy reading when looking forward to the next day's walk and is a handy reference when walking around a church or cathedral.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are reading:
I'll push you : a journey of 500 miles, two best friends, and one wheelchair

It is wonderful, but only a tiny bit of history of the Camino, but they certainly are part of the history! We recommend it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The most important person in the revitalization of the Camino de Santiago in the twentieth century was Elías Valiña, Parish priest of O´Cebreiro.

He did his doctoral thesis about the Camino

There is a funny story about him.

In the 70s or 80s, he was painting yellow arrows in the Pyrinees, in the frontier. He was stoped by the Guardia Civil and asked him what was doing. He answered "preparing a large invasion form France" so he was invited to visit the Police Station :)
I heard another story of him which might be a bit older than the one you posted.
Why was he painted the yellow arrows? As being a priest at O Cebreiro and its notorious winter weather he knew that many pilgrims were lost in the fog and winter storms. He didn't have any money to put markings on the trail so he asked municipality for help. All they offered was some surplus of yellow paint from the highway maintenance. And that's why there are yellow arrows along the Caminos.

That's the story, a legend about Don Elias Valiña and I don't know if it is true but it brings smile to my face nevertheless :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know; I did. :)

Admittedly, I carried the Kindle version (which the posted link went to). In e-book form it adds no weight at all to the backpack, and is easily searchable for reference. It makes handy reading when looking forward to the next day's walk and is a handy reference when walking around a church or cathedral.

I also had it -- The Pilgrimage Road To Santiago -- on my Kindle. Outstanding source for Camino history, architecture, art, culture. You can't go wrong with this one.

Welcome to the forum, Sam!

Try this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091I0YOE/?tag=casaivar02-20

Buen Camino!
I have downloaded a copy onto my iPad and each night I read the information related to 'tomorrow's walk' to be able to keep in mind all (or some) of the details about the part of the Camino I will be walking through the following day and the town/city where I will spend the following night. It is an excellent resource.
I first learned about this book, when I first walked in the Spring of 2011, from someone I met who was walking his second Camino and was carrying the hard-cover book and is sometimes seen on this Forum. I remember thinking, at the time, Why would anyone walk the Camino a SECOND time--you've already seen it??? If the Corona virus hadn't changed my plans, I would have been walking this spring for the tenth year (and the twelfth time).

For a cultural/historical guide to the places along the camino many pilgrims use
The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David M Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson which is available on Amazon in both paperback and as an ebook

See also the many cited in this earlier forum post which is still relevant.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/books-on-the-camino-frances.802/

Here are some basic camino history books in French which you might also find useful:

Barret, Pierre, et Jean-Noel Gurgand, Priez Pour Nous a Compostelle, Paris, Hachette, 1978;
Gicquel, Bernard, La Legende de Compostelle, Paris, Tallandier, s.d.;
Pericard-Mea, Denise,
Compostelle et Cultes de Saint Jacques au Moyen Age, Paris, PUF, 2000;
Rucquoi, Adeline et al., Saint Jacques et la France, Paris, Editions du Cerf, 2003.

Happy research and Buen camino!
The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David M Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson is what I would recommend.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back