• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can anyone tell me where this crucifix is?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ktchnofdnger,
Have you looked at the maps on Gronze for the CF from Sarria west for all locations starting with the letter f? That might be a way to start your research. Good luck.

I have stopped at this church every time I've walked the Camino, but I can't remember the town except that it starts with an F and it's in the last 100km. Does anyone know where it is?

View attachment 139656
It's "de Cristo De San Xoan De Furelos"🙏

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have stopped at this church every time I've walked the Camino, but I can't remember the town except that it starts with an F and it's in the last 100km. Does anyone know where it is?

View attachment 139656
It’s in Furelos. It’s my favourite cross. I have a copy at home.

Fwiw, the most likely reason why this sculpture is not often mentioned in guidebooks: It is a modern work of religious art. It was placed in this parish church in 1953 and was a gift from the sculptor Manuel Cagide, a native of Furelos/Melide.
Sadly, the church was locked when I tried to visit. I was very disappointed. In November 2021, there was a detour and I had to backtrack to the church. I had a big circle on my map and looked forward to seeing that cross and adding that stamp to my credential. I was beyond disappointed. It made the rest of the day somber for me. I hope to see it in person one day. It encompasses wonderful symbolism.
Bob

Fwiw, the most likely reason why this sculpture is not often mentioned in guidebooks: It is a modern work of religious art. It was placed in this parish church in 1953 and was a gift from the sculptor Manuel Cagide, a native of Furelos/Melide.
I had 90 results with <"Manuel Cagide" escultor> (including melideturismo.com) and 1600 with <"Manuel Cajide" escultor> (including santiagoturismo.com). This wouldn't matter to anyone with no degree of OCD, but ... Is this the difference between Spanish and Galician? But surely his name, Cagide or Cajide, must be on his birth certificate and that should be unchanged, whatever language it occurs in. How can I find out which spelling is really correct?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sadly, the church was locked when I tried to visit. [...] I had a big circle on my map and looked forward to seeing that cross and adding that stamp to my credential. I was beyond disappointed. [...] It encompasses wonderful symbolism.
I agree, it certainly invites to contemplation.

Just curious: How did you know beforehand about this sculpture of Christ on the Cross in the Furelos church near Melide? I quickly checked several guidebooks, namely Gitlitz/Davidson's cultural handbook, the popular guides by Brierley and Rother, and one guidebook with a - shall we say - more contemporary focus, and I could not find any mention of it in these four books.

Just curious: How did you know beforehand about this sculpture of Christ on the Cross in the Furelos church near Melide? I quickly checked several guidebooks, namely Gitlitz/Davidson's cultural handbook, the popular guides by Brierley and Rother, and one guidebook with a - shall we say - more contemporary focus, and I could not find any mention of it in these four books.
I was walking with a Spanish person years back that lead me in , and I was intrigued by it and always share it on subsequent Caminos

Attachments

• DDB59BAD-7698-4845-B419-FB9AF26A6AE2.jpeg
    DDB59BAD-7698-4845-B419-FB9AF26A6AE2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • D9D1D67E-991D-470E-B93A-488850536BBB.jpeg
    D9D1D67E-991D-470E-B93A-488850536BBB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had 90 results with <"Manuel Cagide" escultor> (including melideturismo.com) and 1600 with <"Manuel Cajide" escultor> (including santiagoturismo.com). This wouldn't matter to anyone with no degree of OCD, but ... Is this the difference between Spanish and Galician? But surely his name, Cagide or Cajide, must be on his birth certificate and that should be unchanged, whatever language it occurs in. How can I find out which spelling is really correct
Cagide or Cajide are correct spellings for the name, originates from the Galician name CAXIDE, the grafema <X> was changed to J or G in the 15 century during the castellanizacion of the galician and other regional languages , aiming to stablish an unique an universal language ,in this case Castellano, in the peninsula.
The J or G was ,or is, the phonetic sound of the <X>, This is according to the Real Academia Galega.
In any case, if just a letter change in this last name upset you so, imagine how poor Fernando de Magallanes would feel if he heard how you english speakers changed his name for MAGELLAN.
Now that is really annoying!!!

View attachment 139656
It’s in the town of Melide

View attachment 139656
It’s in the town of Melide, which is about 48 km (2 days walk to Santiago).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. Sometimes life happens. My answer to your question is easy: I read about it on the forum! Where else would one learn the details but from the many wonderful people who have walked before me and are willing to share their knowledge. When I got serious about walking the Camino, I started taking notes from what was mentioned on the forum. The comments regarding that cross intrigued me. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to see it. I came to think about that cross as a wonderful metaphor to life. Our lives are not simple dualities. Life is not a series of ups and downs. We are not either happy or sad. We are not joyful or suffering. Rather, we are all of the above. That image of Christ on the cross, reaching out to help us despite unimaginable suffering, shows us all we need to know. We should all strive to offer kindness even when in the worst of times. It's like cleaning a distasteful mess inadverdently made by a loved one during illness. We are not happy about it, but at the same time we are happy to help.

I do not have a cross hanging on any of our walls at home. I hold my religion in my heart and not on my sleeve. But if I were to hang a cross on the wall, I would want it to be based on that unique cross in Furelos, albeit somewhat smaller. I hope to see something similar for sale one day.

Before I walked the Camino, I LIKED this forum. But after having made the trek, I LOVE this forum. Ivar's creation has taken on a life of its own. I hope it outlives me!

Bob

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Bob, I can’t agree more. Most people on the post are extremely gracious and helpful. Thank you everybody for letting me know about this beautiful crucifix.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.