• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can beginner mountain biker ride the Portuguese Coastal Route?

Scanner

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal Route
My friend & I, both women in our 40's, are cycling the Portuguese Coastal Route this year. We are fit and very comfortable cycling, on the road. But we are definitely NOT mountain bikers. Is this a problem? How challenging is the mountain biking? How should we prepare? Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's not a problem. I've cycled twice without any problem. However there are various caminos. The shoreline route follows the coast closely so is relatively flat and easy. Th official coastal way where you keep to the yellow arrows does go inland sometimes and has its ups and down through dense woodland and without mountain bikes some stretches will be really difficult without pushing the bike. I recommend you use Luis Freixo's maps see http://www.caminador.es/ for the shoreline route so although there isn't always the signage it's easier with the bikes. I assume you can cycle say 40km a day or a bit more so you can cover two stages rather than one you would do walking ?

Thank you so much for the information. The good news is that we will have mountain bikes so hopefully will be able to manage the inland route, assuming the mountain biking part via that route is not too technical. We should be okay with the ups and downs...we are up for the challenge...but if we have to really know how to mountain bike, well that could be challenging. No problem on the 40 Km or more a day as well. Based on this, does this sound do-able in your opinion?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's not a problem. I've cycled twice without any problem. However there are various caminos. The shoreline route follows the coast closely so is relatively flat and easy. Th official coastal way where you keep to the yellow arrows does go inland sometimes and has its ups and down through dense woodland and without mountain bikes some stretches will be really difficult without pushing the bike. I recommend you use Luis Freixo's maps see http://www.caminador.es/ for the shoreline route so although there isn't always the signage it's easier with the bikes. I assume you can cycle say 40km a day or a bit more so you can cover two stages rather than one you would do walking ?

Oh and thanks for the maps!!!

I was wondering how one gets the passport stamps if you veer off the official coastal route ? Also, I too would prefer to avoid the woodland part and go by the coast but would you have to push the bikes on sandy beaches ? Any help would be appreciated. ( Biking trip planned for this September....Porto to Santiago ) I will look at Luis Freixo's maps closer although I don't speak any Portuguese....but a map is a map ..correct o_O

I was wondering how one gets the passport stamps if you veer off the official coastal route ? Also, I too would prefer to avoid the woodland part and go by the coast but would you have to push the bikes on sandy beaches ? Any help would be appreciated. ( Biking trip planned for this September....Porto to Santiago ) I will look at Luis Freixo's maps closer although I don't speak any Portuguese....but a map is a map ..correct o_O

Yes getting stamps is no problem as many of the bars, accommodation etc have their business stamps and are used to seeing pilgrims. But make sure you are following Luis's route and you have lots of options for stamps in Albergues etc in the towns at the end of each stage.

On bike it's along the boardwalks (be careful if they are wet, I fell of lightly 3 times in one morning !),cycle lanes, asphalt country lanes or some off road tracks through woodland (mainly dry but with a few wet/muddy patches). A very pleasant experience by bike with not too much traffic except when going through the small towns on route if you keep to Luis's route. Obviously going through Vigo is more urban and from Redondela the roads get busier. But other road users are generally polite and accident rates are low as drivers are used to cyclists here alot. Luis's maps are in spanish but as you say a map is a map, the names don't change !!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes getting stamps is no problem as many of the bars, accommodation etc have their business stamps and are used to seeing pilgrims. But make sure you are following Luis's route and you have lots of options for stamps in Albergues etc in the towns at the end of each stage.

On bike it's along the boardwalks (be careful if they are wet, I fell of lightly 3 times in one morning !),cycle lanes, asphalt country lanes or some off road tracks through woodland (mainly dry but with a few wet/muddy patches). A very pleasant experience by bike with not too much traffic except when going through the small towns on route if you keep to Luis's route. Obviously going through Vigo is more urban and from Redondela the roads get busier. But other road users are generally polite and accident rates are low as drivers are used to cyclists here alot. Luis's maps are in spanish but as you say a map is a map, the names don't change !!

Thank-you for taking the time to answer and in depth too....very much appreciated. ... It is difficult to get a sense of the Camino and all the variants when last week it was - 50 below O on the Prairies of Western Canada....I think I am just thawing out....LOL. Thank-you again....

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?
I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back