• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can Gronze be downloaded to iBooks?

Jenyat53

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
I saw reference to this possibility in another thread but am stumped as to how to do it on my iPhone. Perhaps I need to do it in my laptop. I assume only some parts can be downloaded not the site as such but I would appreciate any tech savvy advice.
Many thanks in advance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tackle this backwards.
1. iBooks reads epub documents. Once you have this epub document you can email it to yourself with the attachment. On the iPhone open the attachment to iBooks.
2. Many ways to create an epub document. The easiest way is to create the document first in Microsoft Word. Google 'Word to epub' and you get lots of references on how to convert, via the web, with a program, etc...

Now the challenge is to get the content from Gronze to a Word document. Not so easy here. First the language. When you translate the page to English, it is not on the fly via Google Translate, not the original material in Gronze. Even if you don't mind and prefer Spanish, many modern websites are no longer static html/images, and Gronze is no exception. It has other services to generate the maps (for example), etc. One can't just use a tool to crawl through the site and download the content automatically.

That said, we could copy manually what we need onto a word document.
1. Copy the text manually from the desired page and paste it to Microsoft Word.
2. Screenshot and crop the images (maps, etc) and paste it to Microsoft Word.
3. Format it to your liking and you are ready to convert it to either epub or pdf to be loaded onto the phone.

Good luck.

Last edited:
It can be done, but it is an awkward, error prone, manual procedure. I did it myself for a 5 day tour in France and found that the file did not convert to PDF correctly and the result was pretty much useless. Gronze is an exceptionally valuable resource, it is free and lives on advertising, so it is a good idea to visit it often and make sure they make enough money to continue to be a free resource

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another option might be to take screenshots of each page and store them as a photo album. You'll lose the functionality (especially for accommodation), but you'd have those useful visuals of daily distances and elevations.

FYI - the Eroski site has an option to download each guide as a pdf. If you do this and email the pdf to yourself, you can then open it in iBooks. To access the pdfs, select the imprime/print option on the right of the page.

Have you considered using one of the Camino apps, e.g. Buen Camino or Wise Pilgrim? Both are very good and can be used offline.

FYI - the Eroski site has an option to download each guide as a pdf. If you do this and email the pdf to yourself, you can then open it in iBooks. To access the pdfs, select the imprime/print option on the right of the page.

I used the downloadable Eroski guides for the Via de la Plata and Sanabres. I think they are more useful than Gronze for route notes and historical information but Gronze is better on details of accommodation. Eroski have versions for other routes too. On this page: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/llevatela-al-camino/

The only problem with the Eroski guides is that they are only in Spanish. If that is an issue I found a workaround to produce a readable translation. Open the html version of the guide from the link above in Google Chrome and scroll all the way through it while Google Chrome makes a machine translation. Once that is done you can then "print" the translated version as a pdf file to be used as you like. Not perfect English but mostly quite understandable.

Many thanks for all the useful suggestions and advice so far. This forum is such a wonderful resource. I will look at the Eroski site as an additional resource. I used Buen Camino & Wise Pilgrim apps for the Frances but overlooked Buen Camino this time. Thanks again to all

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Many thanks for all the useful suggestions and advice so far. This forum is such a wonderful resource. I will look at the Eroski site as an additional resource. I used Buen Camino & Wise Pilgrim apps for the Frances but overlooked Buen Camino this time. Thanks again to all
As @Bradypus says, open the site you want in Google Chrome. It will automatically ask if you want it translated.
Scroll through the whole of the article otherwise you'll only get the bit you see in English.
Right click, change to "save as pdf" and there you go.
Google Chrome will CC Youtube videos in English if the original is in Spanish - almost in real time. There was a Spanish TV series on walking the Camino which was quite enjoyable!

Attachments

• Saint Jean Pied de Port - Roncesvalles (Route of Napoleon) _ French Way _ Gronze.com.pdf
    167.2 KB · Views: 10
  • The French Way _ Guide of the Camino de Santiago _ EROSKI CONSUMER.pdf
    667.2 KB · Views: 10
As @Bradypus says, open the site you want in Google Chrome. It will automatically ask if you want it translated.
Scroll through the whole of the article otherwise you'll only get the bit you see in English.
Right click, change to "save as pdf" and there you go.
Google Chrome will CC Youtube videos in English if the original is in Spanish - almost in real time. There was a Spanish TV series on walking the Camino which was quite enjoyable!

Many thanks Jeff, so simple! :)

YES gronze can be importen in iBooks on your iPhone.
Just go to the website, click on the ‘share’ icon and choose iBooks. It will make a pdf of the page and open it in iBooks automatically. You can do that wit all the pages you want to keep for offline use, and then put them all in one folder.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Once that is done you can then "print" the translated version as a pdf file to be used as you like. Not perfect English but mostly quite understandable.
This option unfortunately isn’t available in Chrome on the iPhone. Only in Safari on iPhone. But that one doesn’t translate... Life isn’t easy 😅

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.