• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I buy a guidebook in SJPP?

LucySkyWalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk October-November 2018
Hi! Does anyone know if guidebooks are sold in SJPP? Perhaps at the Pilgrims Office?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Pilgrims Office in StJdPP will provide you with a list of Albergues and other resources and a handy map of the first days walking whether over the Napoleon or via Valcarlos. If you follow the yellow arrows that's about all you need. If you want a guidebook that will give you a little bit more background information then there are several shops in St Jean that stock various publications in an assortment of languages. Or you could just download a variety of apps, guides and stuff to your 'phone and save a tree from an unpleasant experience ;0)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I liked having a guide, but the handouts from the Pilgrim's Office are really all you need. Definitely get the map that Tincatinker mentioned (it has all the elevations, which I found invaluable), as well as the three-page handout with all the albergues.

Agree on the elevation map. All those in the guidebooks were misleading. The one I got at the pilgrim office was without question the most representative of the ups and downs.

There’s an outdoor shop just down the street from the Pilgrim Office (opposite side of the street) with a good selection of guidebooks in English, French, Spanish, and German (maybe even Korean and others, I can’t recall). They also sell good quality gear if you realized you left something at home.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all!! I just downloaded the TrekRight app which came highly reviewed. I'll plan to grab some handouts from the Pilgrim's Office too... sounds like I can probably pass on a guidebook but I'll check out the prices:cool:

One more tip: you may find a guidebook left behind in an albergue by a Pilgrim not wanting the weight, of you want to carry it! Or make friends with a Pilgrim who has the book and take pictures on your phone of the pertinent pages.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back