• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I buy hiking stuff on the way?

sofronii

Time of past OR future Camino
I've never hiked for 30 days. I read and read; and watch videos, and I will pack to the best of my understanding... But let's say I don't buy something fundamental, or let's say I buy something and find out on the camino it doesn't work for me. Can I buy hiking specialized gear ON the camino, like let's say shoes; or a hydration pack; or a walking stick, or - you get the idea - something I wouldn't generally find in a small town grocery store??? Could I find these things on the camino, and buy what I need?
Thank in advance camino amigos!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I guess you are walking the Camino Frances? If yes, the answer to your question is Yes! Not everywhere but certainly every few days. From memory SJPP, Zubiri, Estella, Pamplona, Carrión, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Sarria, Santo Domingo and more. A few Albergues sell small hiking essentials like Roncesvalles...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many stores to buy what you need.
Only thing I purchased on three Caminos was one ball cap and decal for Bike and walking stick.

As far as run of the mill stuff like hand wipes, T-paper, soap, fruit, tooth paste, meds, sun tan lotion, etc etc you will find in stores in most towns and cities.

I suggest you pack, repack, pack.... walk some with load. Then longer.
Find place where you can walk to using ONLYwhat you carried. That will help you determine what to cut or to add.

Good luck.

I guess you are walking the Camino Frances? If yes, the answer to your question is Yes! Not everywhere but certainly every few days. From memory SJPP, Zubiri, Estella, Pamplona, Carrión, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Sarria, Santo Domingo and more. A few Albergues sell small hiking essentials like Roncesvalles...
There are several towns as mentioned above with shops one could only dream of anywhere else and there are some Decathlon big box stores near the bigger cities. I would concentrate on making a packing list based on the informative threads on this forum and then testing your gear, making sure your pack fits correctly (there are many outfitting shops good for that advice) and breaking your boots in to the point that if they are not working for you, start over with a new pair of boots 30 days before your Camino. I would never advice buying new boots along the way. The 30 days you are on the Camino is nothing like Reese Witherspoon's trek on the PCT.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
all the big cities will have a 'Decathlon' (spain and rance's answer to REI) in the outskirts, and some may even have a smaller one in town (a quick google search will solve this). however, these are usually at our answer to shopping malls and would require a taxi to get to. león and sarria have well-equipped sports/hiking stores with the basics. i assume burgos and pamplona too. as you get closer to saintgo you will find more and more little shops that cater to pilgrims' needs, such as walking poles and sandals.

In Viana I had my feet treated by a local podiatrist who recommended I buy walking sandals. It was evening and there was a very good shop in the town, selling hiking shoes. Spanish shops open in the evenings and I was able to buy my very sturdy walking sandals there.

I've never hiked for 30 days. I read and read; and watch videos, and I will pack to the best of my understanding... But let's say I don't buy something fundamental, or let's say I buy something and find out on the camino it doesn't work for me. Can I buy hiking specialized gear ON the camino, like let's say shoes; or a hydration pack; or a walking stick, or - you get the idea - something I wouldn't generally find in a small town grocery store??? Could I find these things on the camino, and buy what I need?
Quite a few places along the way. Cant recall seeing anywhere after Sarria but was not really looking. Out of town in some of the bigger places there are Decathlon stores. A friend bought a bike in the one in Burgos. Avoid the little shop in Castrojeriz. Not shall we say, the cheapest in the world

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In theory yes...but I needed to replace shoes in Pamplona. There was a shop with the shoes I wanted in the window, but it was Sat pm and the shop did not open again until late am Monday....

In Viana I had my feet treated by a local podiatrist who recommended I buy walking sandals. It was evening and there was a very good shop in the town, selling hiking shoes. Spanish shops open in the evenings and I was able to buy my very sturdy walking sandals there.
Likely Planeta Aqua right on the Camino. I got wonderful service there three years ago. Even got help during siesta and they supplied boxes for posting some of our things. They have Stores in Viana, Logrono and Santo Domingo.

https://www.planeta-aqua.com

Yes, plenty of places in Spain to purchase gear, but the recommendation is to have all you need a few weeks/months before leaving to el camino, in this way you can train with all the gear [including your full backpack]. Practice, practice, practice. Good luck with your planning and execution, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A question about hiking appropriate shoes in Spain - those of you who shopped, did you find them in sizes 42+? (That's about a 10 women's US size) When shopping for casual shoes, I ran into an issue finding many styles that went up to a 42. Curious about walking/hiking options.

I would buy and be fitted for poles before you start. There is a great store in Leon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You ask if there are places to buy something fundamental. The others have told you about the main cities along the way with stores. That said there are only a few absolutely necessary items. Your shoes/boots you should buy before you come, make sure they are properly fit and broken in. Walking poles you can buy in SJPP or many places. Bring two sets of high quality clothes. Great socks. If you have great footwear and the basics, you can find other stuff you need along the way.

A question about hiking appropriate shoes in Spain - those of you who shopped, did you find them in sizes 42+? (That's about a 10 women's US size) When shopping for casual shoes, I ran into an issue finding many styles that went up to a 42. Curious about walking/hiking options.
For the Camino, I need size 44 shoes, so if I had to buy them there I'd buy men's shoes.

For the Camino, I need size 44 shoes, so if I had to buy them there I'd buy men's shoes.

Of course! I sometimes buy men's shoes here too, so no issue with that. Thanks for mentioning it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Decathlon sports shops are usually out of town and hard to get to but on the camino Frances the one in Logrono is just off the camino on the western outskirts of the city. Logrono is about the point you may have realised you need some piece if gear. Use google to find it. It is about 1/2km south of the trail just as the path leaves the city limits and heads towards the country park.

https://www.google.fi/maps/dir//Cal...0xd4554a4568a29dd:0xee1c792635188459?hl=en-fi
Same situation heading out of Estella. One of the smaller Decathlons but only one tiny block away from the camino and in full view if you happen to look to the left as walking past. And open the usual long hours. Easy peasy. Plus the road the Decathlon is on eventually joins with the camino but isn’t as pleasant walking as lots of traffic.

I recall Astorga being particularly good for outdoor stores. One in particular is run by a swiss/german couple who really know their stuff. El Corte Ingles department stores are quite good as well and found in most of the larger towns. I bought a descent sleeping bag from the Pamplona store.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
all the big cities will have a 'Decathlon' (spain and rance's answer to REI) in the outskirts, and some may even have a smaller one in town (a quick google search will solve this). however, these are usually at our answer to shopping malls and would require a taxi to get to. león and sarria have well-equipped sports/hiking stores with the basics. i assume burgos and pamplona too. as you get closer to saintgo you will find more and more little shops that cater to pilgrims' needs, such as walking poles and sandals.

Agreed. In Pamplona and even in smaller places like Santo Domingo de la Calzada the pilgrim stores go beyond the minimal and sell packs, boots, sleeping bags, etc.

In Estella the Decathlon is right on the Camino. In Burgos it’s next to a big box store called Hipercor which operates its own free bus from the city center. Even when there’s no free bus, it should be on a city bus line.

If necessary, I think one could do a whole camino with gear from a “euro store,” although you might be carrying a Spiderman backpack... :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.