• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

can I cross the Gironde?

RayTravels

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on doing the Tours route in 2013 on horseback. My boyfriend and I have 2 quarter mares. This is my first camino, so I have no clew what to expect.

I have been planning the trip in detail, however I am wondering what to do if I arrive at La Gironde. Is it possible to cross over at Blaye? Also with 2 horses? Is there a very large bridge? :D or a boat? and will it take the horses?

Does anybody know?

Greetings from Holland
Rachel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Rachel, I have tried to make some enquiries for you from a relatively 'local' address - Dept., 16, the Charente - but whichever way I phrase it; the answer is the same: horse(s) must be contained which I assume to means a 'horsebox'. In your case a Double.

The Ferry is the only way of avoiding Bordeaux - I don't like it in a car, let alone on horseback- unless you consider one of the 'older' pilgrimage routes - leaving the Via Turonensis south of Tours and travelling down through the Vienne and Charente Departments and rejoining the Vezelay route at Mussidan. This is the route I am considering for September this year; on foot I might add. I haven't ridden a horse in years! Not sure, if I would know now which end is which........

Robert aka 'Camelman'

Yes, Bordeaux - although it is ringed by a large motorway ring road Bordeaux itself is both small and pretty (beautiful rather than pretty really). Would be rather cool to ride through the cobbled streets I would have thought ..

.. there is a riding holidays/livery/school run by a friendly English couple northeast of Bordeaux - outside Libourne.
It is well off route for you but they may be able to give you farrier/livery info for your sw section of the Camino? http://www.harrishorses.com/

What a brilliant time you will have!!!!!

A photo of a chap who appeared last year at my first aid post by the spring west of Rabe de las Calzados at the beginning of the Meseta - note the cute leather fly veil on the headband - and judging by the rope he carried I assume he pegged the horse at night, rope long enough so it could graze (a guess of course).

Attachments

• Apaloosa spring near Rabe.jpg
    Apaloosa spring near Rabe.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 797
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ferries have been carting pilgrims, travellers, horses and donkeys over the Gironde for hundreds of years.
I crossed on the ferry in 2004. It was there that we saw our first pilgrims since leaving Paris. They were cyclists on their way to St Jean to start their Camino.
It was also there that I lost my favourite walking stick - covered in little tin walking stick badges from other walks. I rested it against the railing and it slid down, shot through the lower railing and sailed over the side into the water. I nearly followed it trying to catch it!
We caught the 7h30am ferry and sailed across, aout 30 minutes, in thick mist with the horns and hooters warning other shipping on the river. From there we walked about 25kms to the outskirts of the city of Bordeaux.
Perhaps you could contact the Amis St Jacques Tours for advice?
http://www.amis-st-jacques-tours.org/

Attachments

• Blaye, Cycle Pilgrims on the Ferry.JPG
    Blaye, Cycle Pilgrims on the Ferry.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 771

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back