• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I do this??

KerrySA

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
Hi everyone. I’ve been up all night reading posts, and slightly freaking myself out, so thought I’d post my own little story in the hope of getting some of your valuable advice.

I discovered the Camino a few weeks ago by watching ‘The Way’. It has been a tough few years in the UK and so I am moving back to South Africa after nearly 18 years abroad. A tired, depressed, unhealthy workaholic, I was truly inspired by the Camino as a way to a) pay homage to the Europe that I love and find so difficult to leave b) reconnect with my soul and retune my body after quite a few years of abuse. To ‘reset’ myself if you will before I start the next life chapter.

However, with everything that needs to be done before immigrating, I have not done much training (any training if I compare with some of these threads). I’m 2.5 stone overweight and have done precious little exercise in the last 4/5 years. I turn 40 on Saturday. (mid life crisis?? :))

I bought lightweight boots a couple weeks ago and have only done 2 x 12km walks in them (1 x flat, 1 x hill reps) - on back to back days - interchanging with trainers when they became too much. I’ve pretty much lived in them the last few days whilst shopping for my Camino kit. They’re getting better. I’m going to get some softer superfeet as walking on hard surfaces hints of planter facciatis.

Nearly everything packed, my pack is just under 7kgs. Toiletries and water still to add. Clothing summary: 2 sets of T-shirts, mid layers & trousers. 1 x set Marino thermals. One fleece. A waterproof jacket. 5 sets of socks (2 x 1000 mile, 2 x Bridgedale, 1 x Bridgedale liner). Crocs.

Winter arrived in the UK a couple days ago and I panicked and bought a flight to Biarritz for this Sunday not wanting to leave it too late.

I’ve emailed Orisson about a space on the 29th or 30th September but read about someone catching a taxi from Orisson back to SJPDP and back again the next day to break the first stage in two if Orisson is full. Perhaps I send my pack onwards for the first few stages? Or take the lower route?

I was fit once. Have been really sporty my whole life (gymnastics, triathlon, snowboarding) bar the last 4/5 years of nothingness so I’m no stranger to pain or endurance but when I say I haven’t done anything in 4 or 5 years, I really really mean it. Nada!

If I head your advice and take it super slow/easy in the first week, can I do this? Or am I deluding myself and have spent a fortune on kit only to have to pull out in the first few days with planter fasciitis, tendonitis, injury, blisters or a dreadful combination thereof?

This is a long post, so if you’re still reading, thank you! Your advice would be much appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Hopeful-Tentative-South-African

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buene Camino... The Camino is what it is and will reward you in some way for taking part, even if you do not do what you originally hoped to.
Never feel afraid or let down if you decide to ship your bags, catch a bus, or a train and skip a bit, or take a few days to recuperate.

Just going and as you say reconnecting with yourself will be refreshing for you.

Easing in is a good idea, and we did meet a chap who had walked the Camino many times, and he no longer carries his pack from SJpDP, he ships it each day until Larrasoaña and then carries it from there.

If you plan to stop in Bizkarreta, try and book Corazon Puro - they would probably collect your bags from the night before if you ask and take them on the next day too.
corazonpuro@corazonpuro.es

Think about what you mean by going slowly, then go a little slower!

It is not a good sign that you are switching footwear when the boots become too much! What is going to happen differently in the first weeks with the boots? Don't you think that they are going to continue to be too much? If they do not fit comfortably for 12km, is something going to happen to make them comfortable for 20km? You have a number of factors working against you, so you will need to solve them if you want to succeed. You can do it, but it also will be easy to be overwhelmed. If you can only walk 5km for the first days or weeks, walk 5km. Take taxis and buses if the short days put you behind schedule. Good luck and buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Above all else get your footwear right, if your boots don't fit right or are hurting you, change them. Your boots should be a half to one size larger than you would normaly wear as your feet will expand while walking. Buy some Gloves in a Bottle in Boots chemists and use it every day on your feet before walking, this will help prevent blisters. If your feet are happy all else will fall into place.
You are less than half the age of some pilgrims I have met so take it nice and easy, let your body adjust and you will be fine.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Hi KerrySA!

Yes, of course you can do it. You highlight the reasons in your post - you're still young, you've been sporty most of your life and you don't mention any underlying health problems.

You'll probably lose some weight if what you're carrying at the moment is too much. Make sure you take a belt. I lost about a stone first time round. Similar to you I was 41 years old, 2 stone overweight and not fit, but not many people I've walked with have been particularly fit. Drinking and smoking is rife. :eek:

Certainly consider taking the Valcarlos route - it breaks the stage to Roncesvalles up nicely, but is still as challenging as anything else you will get in the first half of the walk at least. It will boost your confidence and also save the hassle of taxis etc if Orisson is full.

Take the advice above and get your footwear sorted. Your boots should make you feel like walking 25kms, so consider how they affect your overall posture as well as the actual fit. Try on several pairs and you'll see what I mean.

I hope you get the reboot you need. Take each day individually, listen to what your body is telling you (good and bad) and you'll be absolutely fine. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buene Camino... The Camino is what it is and will reward you in some way for taking part, even if you do not do what you originally hoped to.
Never feel afraid or let down if you decide to ship your bags, catch a bus, or a train and skip a bit, or take a few days to recuperate.

Just going and as you say reconnecting with yourself will be refreshing for you.

Easing in is a good idea, and we did meet a chap who had walked the Camino many times, and he no longer carries his pack from SJpDP, he ships it each day until Larrasoaña and then carries it from there.

If you plan to stop in Bizkarreta, try and book Corazon Puro - they would probably collect your bags from the night before if you ask and take them on the next day too.
corazonpuro@corazonpuro.es
Thanks cinimod. That's a lovely reply. I'll check it out. Muchos gracias!

Think about what you mean by going slowly, then go a little slower!

It is not a good sign that you are switching footwear when the boots become too much! What is going to happen differently in the first weeks with the boots? Don't you think that they are going to continue to be too much? If they do not fit comfortably for 12km, is something going to happen to make them comfortable for 20km? You have a number of factors working against you, so you will need to solve them if you want to succeed. You can do it, but it also will be easy to be overwhelmed. If you can only walk 5km for the first days or weeks, walk 5km. Take taxis and buses if the short days put you behind schedule. Good luck and buen camino.
Thanks Falcon269 and wayfarer. I tried on every boot in Milton Keynes. Trust me. And then I tried them on again. I got blisters in between my fingers from lacing so many of them! I went for boots over trainers as I've rolled ankles and torn ligaments in my ankles a few times before and wanted the ankle support. I chose the most comfy lightweight ones with least resistance on my feet and had blue superfeet put in. They are one whole size bigger than I would normally wear. The issue I am having is they are hard, sole wise. Possibly harder than I'm used to and walking roads and pavements generates tendon/muscle pain on the underside of my foot. Possibly the start of planters. It's been easing off this week so I'm hoping it's my feet getting used to the walking, boots, superfeet. Soft ground is fine. If I concentrate on relaxing my foot, it's better. Hoping that with foot care and pace care I will be able to manage it.

Hi KerrySA!

Yes, of course you can do it. You highlight the reasons in your post - you're still young, you've been sporty most of your life and you don't mention any underlying health problems.

You'll probably lose some weight if what you're carrying at the moment is too much. Make sure you take a belt. I lost about a stone first time round. Similar to you I was 41 years old, 2 stone overweight and not fit, but not many people I've walked with have been particularly fit. Drinking and smoking is rife. :eek:

Certainly consider taking the Valcarlos route - it breaks the stage to Roncesvalles up nicely, but is still as challenging as anything else you will get in the first half of the walk at least. It will boost your confidence and also save the hassle of taxis etc if Orisson is full.

Take the advice above and get your footwear sorted. Your boots should make you feel like walking 25kms, so consider how they affect your overall posture as well as the actual fit. Try on several pairs and you'll see what I mean.

I hope you get the reboot you need. Take each day individually, listen to what your body is telling you (good and bad) and you'll be absolutely fine. Buen Camino!
Thank you tyrrek :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
All good advice. You have no time to break in new boots. Perhaps bag forwarding until after alto de Perdon as downhill there is not an easy one. In my opinion it's second worse to that after the Cruz de Ferro. Also if time allows make shorter days for the first few. If you have to make up time maybe bus into and out of Leon/Burgos?

All good advice. You have no time to break in new boots. Perhaps bag forwarding until after alto de Perdon as downhill there is not an easy one. In my opinion it's second worse to that after the Cruz de Ferro. Also if time allows make shorter days for the first few. If you have to make up time maybe bus into and out of Leon/Burgos?
Thanks Al. I haven't booked my flight back to SA so I have no deadlines. Shorter days I can do (if albergues are open and available at shorter intervals), rest days too... nowhere to be! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So you'll be going somewhere special (and SDC) in a relaxed time. Remove the stress. Start in daylight, take rest breaks, stop early and chill! It's a lot of socks though, especially as only one pair of liners!
LOL. I was trying different socks/combinations out ;-). I've realised the liners are two in a pack so I've got 2 x 1k mile socks and 2 x sock/liner combos. Just incase they don't dry in time, I'll have 2 dry for the day. Overkill?

You can do it! Just enter with the intention of taking care of yourself and your body and NOT comparing to others. (Harder than it sounds.) I spent the summer recovering from the PF and achilles problems I developed in training and left with healed feet but nowhere near the fitness I'd hoped. As a result, I started with short days. I sent my pack ahead when my days got longer. I may never manage a long day with pack, and that's okay. Once I got through thinking I wasn't doing it "right," all fell into place. Honor your body and let it and the spirit carry you.

I'm almost two weeks in now. It isn't as I expected, but it's been sublime. (Also, I've been walking in trainers and using poles for ankle support. Not for all but it's worked for me. My feet would accept nothing else.) Be grateful you have all the time you need. It'll allow you to walk however you need to. Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
[...] If I head your advice and take it super slow/easy in the first week, can I do this? Or am I deluding myself and have spent a fortune on kit only to have to pull out in the first few days with planter fasciitis, tendonitis, injury, blisters or a dreadful combination thereof?[...]
Take your time and don't have expectations. You'll gradually mould your body when logistics depend from your spirit. One day at the time:)

Hi everyone. I’ve been up all night reading posts, and slightly freaking myself out, so it is hought I’d post my own little story in the hope of getting some of your valuable advice.

I discovered the Camino a few weeks ago by watching ‘The Way’. It has been a tough few years in the UK and so I am moving back to South Africa after nearly 18 years abroad. A tired, depressed, unhealthy workaholic, I was truly inspired by the Camino as a way to a) pay homage to the Europe that I love and find so difficult to leave b) reconnect with my soul and retune my body after quite a few years of abuse. To ‘reset’ myself if you will before I start the next life chapter.

However, with everything that needs to be done before immigrating, I have not done much training (any training if I compare with some of these threads). I’m 2.5 stone overweight and have done precious little exercise in the last 4/5 years. I turn 40 on Saturday. (mid life crisis?? :))

I bought lightweight boots a couple weeks ago and have only done 2 x 12km walks in them (1 x flat, 1 x hill reps) - on back to back days - interchanging with trainers when they became too much. I’ve pretty much lived in them the last few days whilst shopping for my Camino kit. They’re getting better. I’m going to get some softer superfeet as walking on hard surfaces hints of planter facciatis.

Nearly everything packed, my pack is just under 7kgs. Toiletries and water still to add. Clothing summary: 2 sets of T-shirts, mid layers & trousers. 1 x set Marino thermals. One fleece. A waterproof jacket. 5 sets of socks (2 x 1000 mile, 2 x Bridgedale, 1 x Bridgedale liner). Crocs.

Winter arrived in the UK a couple days ago and I panicked and bought a flight to Biarritz for this Sunday not wanting to leave it too late.

I’ve emailed Orisson about a space on the 29th or 30th September but read about someone catching a taxi from Orisson back to SJPDP and back again the next day to break the first stage in two if Orisson is full. Perhaps I send my pack onwards for the first few stages? Or take the lower route?

I was fit once. Have been really sporty my whole life (gymnastics, triathlon, snowboarding) bar the last 4/5 years of nothingness so I’m no stranger to pain or endurance but when I say I haven’t done anything in 4 or 5 years, I really really mean it. Nada!

If I head your advice and take it super slow/easy in the first week, can I do this? Or am I deluding myself and have spent a fortune on kit only to have to pull out in the first few days with planter fasciitis, tendonitis, injury, blisters or a dreadful combination thereof?

This is a long post, so if you’re still reading, thank you! Your advice would be much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

You are making 2 very good decisions: no 1 - moving back to SA and 2 - walking the Camino. I am at the moment on the Chemin Le Puy and I it is wonderful!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone. I’ve been up all night reading posts, and slightly freaking myself out, so thought I’d post my own little story in the hope of getting some of your valuable advice.

Kindest regards,

Hi Kerry,
So, you turned 40 on Saturday huh? I turned left today and am still me:)

You were fit once were you? Me too! No problem Kerry, the Camino Frances is more a battle of the mind than the body, and it is a winnable one if you start out slow for the first few days and believe in yourself. So, believe in yourself Kerry, believe in yourself like you have never believed before.

So, you haven't done anything in the last 4 or 5 years have you? Well, Kerry, you're still here aren't you. Only difference now is that you haven't been as active as you might have liked to be. The Camino can help you correct that should you choose to do it. You might be pleasantly surprised at your mental capacity to do yourself proud.

From what I understand you are not and will not be the last person to have doubts about this wonderful experience you are about to undertake, so, whatever the outcome, smile, laugh and trust in yourself. If it all comes crashing down never mind Kerry, you can always say I tried, and, if necessary, I can always go back some day.

Buen Camino Kerry

I truly hope to read on this forum about your arrival at whatever destination you set yourself. Believe in yourself and really think about taking it slowly to start with.

You can definitely, without a doubt, do this. You'll get in better shape as you go. Start out slow, and don't worry about going slower if needed. Eventually you'll speed back up. My mother has gained (and lost) 150 pounds three times in her life. She lost it the last time by training for the camino (starting with 1/4 mile walks). At the weight loss end she ended up doing the entire camino with my wife and I from Pamplona to Santiago in 30 days.....and she was carrying a 14 month old on her back 1/2 the time (splitting with my wife). She came out of it in the best physical shape of her life. And even if she hadn't been able to train she "could" have done the camino. Just slower. So go as slow as you need. But do it. It'll be a blessing.

Wow. So many wonderful messages of encouragement and support. I feel Camino blessed already! Thank you everyone. Truly.

I ran out today to get some softer insoles and last bits and pieces. I'll give the new insoles a better test tomorrow morning but so far they feel good. Tonight... shredding. Who keeps a zillion years of bank statements?? Three more sleeps and I'll be officially homeless and SJPDP bound. Yikes! This is happening. :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You can do it! Just enter with the intention of taking care of yourself and your body and NOT comparing to others. (Harder than it sounds.) I spent the summer recovering from the PF and achilles problems I developed in training and left with healed feet but nowhere near the fitness I'd hoped. As a result, I started with short days. I sent my pack ahead when my days got longer. I may never manage a long day with pack, and that's okay. Once I got through thinking I wasn't doing it "right," all fell into place. Honor your body and let it and the spirit carry you.

I'm almost two weeks in now. It isn't as I expected, but it's been sublime. (Also, I've been walking in trainers and using poles for ankle support. Not for all but it's worked for me. My feet would accept nothing else.) Be grateful you have all the time you need. It'll allow you to walk however you need to. Buen camino!
Wonderful. Thanks Vivello. I really hope PF isn't going to end this for me. I'm reading everything I can to help manage it if it is. How are you holding up? Buen camino! Yay. That's the first time I've said that :)

Wow. So many wonderful messages of encouragement and support. I feel Camino blessed already! Thank you everyone. Truly.

I ran out today to get some softer insoles and last bits and pieces. I'll give the new insoles a better test tomorrow morning but so far they feel good. Tonight... shredding. Who keeps a zillion years of bank statements?? Three more sleeps and I'll be officially homeless and SJPDP bound. Yikes! This is happening. :)
Carry the shoes original insoles in your pack. You never know if you need to go back to them if the aftermarket ones don't work well.

... ...Tonight... shredding. Who keeps a zillion years of bank statements?? Three more sleeps and I'll be officially homeless and SJPDP bound. Yikes! This is happening. :)
It sounds like the Camino spirit has definitely started to work on you if you're beginning to declutter.
S :)

Three more sleeps? You'll be lucky on the last one if you do. I am normally too excited that night (and slightly nervous about making all the connections). Buen Camino. Take it easy, relax, enjoy and keep us posted. When you feel down dip into the forum for support.

LOL. Thanks Al. At the moment I'm so stressed trying to get everything done. I'm not only going on the Camino, I'm shipping everything back to South Africa. This time tomorrow I'll be officially homeless. Although I prefer the term homeward bound (via the CdS) :) All change :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola

Have a great walk and remember; at some point you just have to go with it..
It sounds like you are close to that moment and once you are past it, everything gets easier, as you only have to walk, eat, talk and sleep.

About breaking in boots, it is a very very good advice, to prevent blisters, but personally I experienced two days before my departure, that the boots I had broken in had a technical problem.
Therefore I replaced them with another kind and started my first camino with brand new boots (which I was nervous about).
For me and my feet, it turned out not to be any problem at all.
In short; what may sound like a problem is not necessarily one :)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I second what JohnMcM and Waveprof said. You will definitely get stronger as you go, so taking things a bit easier at the outset will ensure that you have the time to build up strength, day by day. (Don't be surprised if, by the end of the camino, you feel naked when not toting your pack and lazy when not walking.) And, in my experience, the mental aspects were tougher than the physical. Our minds play games with us, telling us we're too old, out of shape or that we just can't do it. Don't listen to that! All you have to do is walk one day. Then get up the next day and walk THAT day. Focus on the positive, not the potential problems, and you'll be fine. And embrace this wonderful way of stepping into a new chapter of your life! Buen Camino!

Hi KerrySA. Best of luck with your Camino. I know it will be a momentous experience. It's great that you are starting out without a return flight booked. It means you can relax and focus on your daily walk rather than on a deadline.

I've just returned from a quick walk from Pamplona to Navarrete. The weather is great at the moment and it doesn't feel quite so busy. The atmosphere seems very relaxed.

My take home message this time round is to rotate socks to keep them dry. I take my boots off at rest stops and put on a dry pair of socks, and hook the sweaty ones on the backpack. This way your feet stay dry, get air, and you have a chance to take a good look at any hot spots.

May you be truly blessed on your Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Kindest regards,

Kindest regards,

Anyone can do it if they approach it intelligently. So you are unfit and heavier than you'd like to be at the start? Be sure your bag is as light as it can be (looks like you have already done well here), and walk shorter distances until your body and feet are broken in (don't get pressured to do more by those who are religiously following guidebooks that suggest huge days from the start). So your feet aren't ready yet? Decide if you are a person who does well to avoid blisters by keeping their feet moist with morning Vaseline rubs OR keeping their feet dry with frequent sock changes, talc, Body Glide, etc. I am a big fan of keeping dry! Also, during some of my practice walks, I found where my hotspots occurred and wore preventative sports tape on those areas in addition to talc between my toes. Never had a blister.
Learn from other pilgrims and listen to yourself. This is your walk. Foot health and bag weight are critical components of success. You need far less clothing than you think as well. My bag was 6 kg and I still found things I could have lived without en route.
Best of luck. You will surprise yourself.

Hello Kerry,
Of course you can do this.
My advice, keep your own pace and even if you enjoy talking to someone, don't speed up. Maybe you will go to same albergue and the you can continue talking... if not, there is facebook, emails, etc.
Myself , I walk slow, I mean slow. Everybody passes me and are surprised it has taken me so long to get to the same spot they are now in half the time (or less). Well, I also stop and smell the flowers, take pictures, go into churches, speak to the locals.... i have carried my own backpack and would only hire a forwarding service if I was in too much pain to carry my own.
Everyone has their own Camino and we cannot judge others. Is part of the experience! You will grow as you have no idea!
How much time do you have? I bought a one way ticket and will buy the return when I am closer to finish.... I don't have a time restriction and I am taking my time. My concern is more of expenses... but I am conservative and take advantage of the albergue kitchen.
I have been walking about 10th a day, enough for me. Forget the guides! the almost 30 km the guide suggest unless you are feeling strong AND your feet agree. Often mind thinks something and your feet say forget that. Then you start with the problems, listen to your feet! They are doing the hard work and as you progress you will feel stronger. I have list some weight so as a prior post, a light belt is a must.
Don't go crazy with toiletries. There are stores along the way if you need something you are bringing only because you 'might' need.
I have also taken days off. Remember is not a race, not even for a bed. Dont let that thought of racing take from your experience.
You are coming to reset remember?
Hugs!

Kindest regards,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just finished the Camino a day ago.
My insight maybe different than others, but what I have learn from the Camino, it's that any way you do it, if is right for you, is the right way. You can walk 10 km or 40 km. You can take a bus, a taxi, skip a stage, do and feel the Camino as it comes.
Buen Camino

Kerry - I'm so excited for you. Yes you can do it. Someone above pointed out it's more of a mental than physical challenge and I would add emotional - especially since you're in the midst of so many changes. If you're like many of the people here (or me at least) you'll laugh a lot, cry some, wonder what the @#$%$% you're doing and why, wonder why you haven't done it before, and by the end wonder how soon you can get back. You'll struggle some days and fly through others. The first few days will be a challenge and then one day it'll all start to feel normal.

Dozens, probably hundreds of people get their backpacks carried. It's definitely a good idea for the first day or so if you feel you're not in shape. Don't feel embarrassed or sorry in any way. When you get to Orisson, you'll see a bunch of others that were also driven up. Smart move by the way to get a reservation at Orisson. It'll make your first day feel manageable and your second day much more enjoyable.

And I definitely agree with others above who've said take it easy. Don't try to keep up with others - not even those wonderful people you just met and had a wonderful evening with at Orisson. Saunter along for the first while, sing some songs, stop and look at how beautiful it is. Wave to people going by. On day one you only have 8 km to walk. It'll feel like it's straight up but it's only eight km and it's a paved road.

You can do it!!!!!! Buen camino.

Hi KerrySA. Best of luck with your Camino. I know it will be a momentous experience. It's great that you are starting out without a return flight booked. It means you can relax and focus on your daily walk rather than on a deadline.

I've just returned from a quick walk from Pamplona to Navarrete. The weather is great at the moment and it doesn't feel quite so busy. The atmosphere seems very relaxed.

My take home message this time round is to rotate socks to keep them dry. I take my boots off at rest stops and put on a dry pair of socks, and hook the sweaty ones on the backpack. This way your feet stay dry, get air, and you have a chance to take a good look at any hot spots.

May you be truly blessed on your Camino.
Exellent advice, thank you! ;-}

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi KerrySA, you sound anxious and I can easily relate.
Short answer, YES of course you can do this, I believe that taking the first step of anything is always the hardest and we have almost limitless potential as human beings if we would just take that first step.
Just my two cents, but whenever I get nervous about my camino (happens lots) or feel overwhelmed or wrecked with anxiety about my flights the language finding a bed picking the right boots etc etc etc, I just remind myself that my entire reason for undertaking this experience is to NOT be stressed, nervous or anxious. I've spent enough time being all those things that I refuse to bring those emotions with me to Spain.
Also, reach out to the forum as much as you need, this place is great and can answer many question and calm many fears.
All the best!

Buen Camino, Kerry. Enjoy yourself. The Camino is a magical experience.

Let us know how it turns out for you. I guarantee that you'll never be the same.

Kindest regards,

Hi Kerry.

I wish I had an easy answer but I do not. This being said, don't let fear stop you from trying. After all, there is nothing, NOTHING, stopping you from stopping when you feel you have had enough/too much. And that is the only way you will know if 'you can do this'.

A few weeks ago on went on my 4th Camino. After the 2nd and the pain on the ball of my feet I leaned I have flat feet and need orthotics. After this Camino I have learned the foot can change a lot in 18 months and the orthotics that worked in 2013 have now caused me a whole lot of pain. So a few weeks ago I went on the Camino del Norte and could no longer walk more than 10 kms after 6 days or so. Also had to stop for some full days. Frustrating when your muscles want to go on but your foot is in great pain. I thought I could do it: I always have. And I still believe I can do it next spring - a foot at a time! For how long? It really does not matter - it's about the process, not the destination. Really!

And you know what? Preparing for Camino 4 I have felf just as stressed as for C1: make everything lighter, make sure I don't carry an extra gram I don't know, spend a bundle to replace an item by another a fraction of a pound lighter. We all have our own neurosis ;0) My lighter backpack was just has heavy as before: 8kg, which is light in comparison with what others bring, and oh so heavy in comparison with other backpacks! But of course I was "scared into" bringing a sleaping bag and rain gear since I would be waking in the fall in the North: turns out it was 30+ degress with 88% humidity so the last thing I needed was that newly bought sleeping back.

So, yes you can do it. Because you do not have to follow the stops the "guides" propose, especially on the Frances where there is an albergue every 5 or 10 km, except on rare occasion. Also because you do not have to make it to Santiago the first time around: you can take 1 year, 2 year,s 50 years to make it there. It's about the journey. The Camino will provide. Go, just go, after taking a deap breath and trusting.

Breath in, breath out. Forget to do it, and just enjoy every step, every sound, every breath.

Get out there and put a foot in front of the other. Don't over think it. Put a foot in front of the other. And enjoy every fraction of a second of it. The sun, the wind, the birds.

I am LOVING IT LOVING IT LOVING IT! This is a magnificent experience! I'm having a rest day in Logrono today. Feet are absolute troopers! 3 small blisters yesterday after 2 back to back days of 22 kms. I forwarded my pack for the first 3 days but have been carrying since Zubiri. I'm a snail, but I love being a snail. I see everything, hear everything and meet everyone. Thanks everyone for your advice, it's all been invaluable.

Attachments

• 2014-10-09 15.21.10.jpg
    2014-10-09 15.21.10.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
I am LOVING IT LOVING IT LOVING IT! This is a magnificent experience! I'm having a rest day in Logrono today. Feet are absolute troopers! 3 small blisters yesterday after 2 back to back days of 22 kms. I forwarded my pack for the first 3 days but have been carrying since Zubiri. I'm a snail, but I love being a snail. I see everything, hear everything and meet everyone. Thanks everyone for your advice, it's all been invaluable.

Way to go KerrySA, way to go!
Buen Camino

Buen Camino enjoy each day

Kindest regards,

Hi Kerry SA, - just joined Google while admiring the Atlantic Ocean in Cape Town and this is my first interaction on this web.
By now you are well on your way and have sorted out your boot concerns. i have done 4 walks and, apart from my winter walk where I could not have survived without boots, I always wear high quality shoes like asics. for my last Camino in France I found water resistant HiTec shoes - very successful in many drizzles.
Recently I published my book journeyofastickman.com. Apart from general and at times silly tips and observations on the way, I have added Camino related history in a wider concept.
Like many pilgrims, I also went through introspective emotions, and thoughts related to life and relationships form a substantial part of the book.
Most major book shops in South Africa now stock 'Journey of a Stickman' - reading it might take you back to your own journey. The new web site describes the 3 themes of the manuscript in more detail and I intend adding excerpts over time.
Maybe you want to convey a few of your own encounters - and Journey of a Stickman might relate to them in some ways.
By now you are probably past Leon and hope you brought a pebble for the Iron Cross from home - I did not.
Buen Camino, Dieter

Yay! How fantastic (that you are enjoying it!). Go for it and enjoy every moment. Buen Camino...!

So good to hear your enthusiasm @KerrySA - and proof that it is possible to train for the camino on the camino.

Hi Kerry, remember we met in security at Stansted on the way out - seems like a century ago. Great that you are going on and enjoying it - I thought you would. As I told you I only had 3 weeks and had to finish at Leon the 20th but it was a wonderful experience for me and even better than my first camino. Like we discussed just take your time and the weather is what it is (like pilgrims) buen camino. ' alles van die beste'

Hi Kerry, remember we met in security at Stansted on the way out - seems like a century ago. Great that you are going on and enjoying it - I thought you would. As I told you I only had 3 weeks and had to finish at Leon the 20th but it was a wonderful experience for me and even better than my first camino. Like we discussed just take your time and the weather is what it is (like pilgrims) buen camino. ' alles van die beste'

Thanks Richard. I'm into the last 200 kms now. We've had such brilliant weather, I feel truly blessed! I often think about what you said about the Camino only really starting at the end and can relate to that now. It's calling me back already and I haven't even finished it. What a magnificent experience!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is fantastic, you are doing great!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Congratulations!

Well... I've booked a space in Orisson :)
WOO HOO!!!!
Then you are off to SDC...so super excited for you. Can you do it , I am in the camp , "of course!".
I was shocked to see buff and inshape people not fulfill the camino...I found that th folks who did well on it were people like you who were in shape "at one time" and still had that endurance athletic mind (that is so much of it).
Take care of those feet. I personally would not think boots are the first choice, I would do trainers BUT I do not know what the Pyrenese look like right now. I personally would not suggest boots to a 40 year old (but many would so take that as MY thoughts). Make sure you get a nice salve for the feet. My friend used "hike goo" with light weight boots, I used Body Glide with HOKA ultra-light marathon shoes. We both experienced NO blisters. Don't ever rush putting this stuff on your feet, even if your friends are pacing to start the day send them on and meet up with them. Don't rush this process. Honestly I think your worse enemy could be blisters...I do not think you have to fear having not trained.

Your story has me really excited for you!
Buen Camino!

Kindest regards,

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Your question that you have been asking yourself " Can I do this?", I asked myself the same question and I was standing at the foot of the Pyrenees. You can do it. Another question was,"What in the world am I doing here?". I couldn't believe of what I was about to undertake. Too late. I had to go straight ahead. I had come too far to turn back and turning back was not an option.
I would not worry about walking the Camino. You will just have to take care of your feet. You have to know when to stop and take care of yourself. The Camino isn't going anywhere. It waits for you to rejoin it should your feet hurt. Remember that you are not in a foot race. Be careful coming down from the Pyrenees. It will test your feet.
Because you did not book Orission early, your first day will be very long. Buen Camino.

WOO HOO!!!!
Then you are off to SDC...so super excited for you. Can you do it , I am in the camp , "of course!".
I was shocked to see buff and inshape people not fulfill the camino...I found that th folks who did well on it were people like you who were in shape "at one time" and still had that endurance athletic mind (that is so much of it).
Take care of those feet. I personally would not think boots are the first choice, I would do trainers BUT I do not know what the Pyrenese look like right now. I personally would not suggest boots to a 40 year old (but many would so take that as MY thoughts). Make sure you get a nice salve for the feet. My friend used "hike goo" with light weight boots, I used Body Glide with HOKA ultra-light marathon shoes. We both experienced NO blisters. Don't ever rush putting this stuff on your feet, even if your friends are pacing to start the day send them on and meet up with them. Don't rush this process. Honestly I think your worse enemy could be blisters...I do not think you have to fear having not trained.

Your story has me really excited for you!
Buen Camino!
I recently discovered HOKA's and will start my first Camino Sept 3 2015. HOKA's are a little slice of heaven!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back