• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can i expect bulls on my route from salamanca to ourense?

liberte

in september i want to continue my VDLP pilgrimage; this time from salamanca -the mozarabe way.-
Are there many bulls in the wild. I had to pass one between Grimaldo and Carcaboso. Can i expect more?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rebekah Scott said:
If they´re running loose they are heifers or steers. Bulls must, by law, be confined. Or so we are told.
I have lived 5 years in Galicia and I have never seen bulls run loose. They are always fenced in, or sometimes tied to a pole with a long rope.

If you have your walking stick and your (red?) poncho, you could try...
bullfighting-ban-spain.jpg

:)

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

hahaha! That's hilarious Ivar - exactly my thought!

Sometimes, people who are not familiar with cattle think the horned animal they are looking at is a bull, when actually it is a heifer. Farmers may or may not choose to dehorn their cattle, and often when they are free=ranging animals, they do NOT dehorn the females, as the horns are there for a good reason, protection from predators.

Soooo.... if you see an animal with horns that looks bovine, and it's running loose, look lower to see if there is an udder ... it's probably a female and there's no worry - they're generally not aggressive at all. :lol:

Here is an example of a female with her calf:

2hwfmlh.jpg

The nearest I got to being gored on the route was at the Festa do Boi in Allariz. This is a week long festival ending on Corpus Cristi and the bull (bullock really) is run through the town every day on a tether. The greatest danger is in falling over one of the drunks in the narrow streets. http://www.peregrino.pwp.blueyonder.co. ... eca05.html
Tom

Attachments

• 290_Allariz.jpg
    290_Allariz.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,763
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
they´re running several rather jaded-looking young bullocks through the streets this week and next in Sahagun, part of the annual Fiesta of San Juan de Sahagun. Tons of fun for all who are not quite up to Pamplona-style testing of the fates, and the creatures aren´t killed at the end.

...that said, I can add that I had a very close encounter with these two battling bovines on the Camino del Norte in April. I had to scramble over a stone wall to escape them, much to the cowherds´amusement! (they both were heifers, supposedly harmless. I was kinda worried they might be clumsy, though!)

Attachments

• IMG_3208.jpg
    IMG_3208.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,680
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hahaha! I remember that one!

Is that where all the crosses are in the fence links on the other side of the trail to the right?

I guess it's just a sculpture? :wink:

Just like the one on the Camino frances(or is it the same one?) :roll:

It's good to know what to expect on Camino. If I saw this sculpture, I :mihgt have a heart attact oops: :?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last night I spent it in Gondan and from my bed I could see all the cows and their babies just outside my window. The Mooooing was non-stop and realized there was a fight going on between 2 cows. One cow was bleeding out of her eye. Yucky.
On the Via I saw many bulls (I looked) and one time they were blocking a gate. I waited for 2 girls who were behind me and we walked side by side to look larger.
Here I saw bear tracks!
Lillian

Rebekah Scott said:
...that said, I can add that I had a very close encounter with these two battling bovines on the Camino del Norte in April. I had to scramble over a stone wall to escape them, much to the cowherds´amusement! (they both were heifers, supposedly harmless. I was kinda worried they might be clumsy, though!)

We got in the way of a similar tête-à-tête between Maisy and Daisy on the CF near San Xil. Like you we thought the danger was from them bashing into us as they fought each other.

During my recent VdlP, I came across this fierce-looking animal loitering on the path a few kms outside El Real de la Jara. It looked to me very much like a bull and another Spanish pilgrim who also came face-to-face with it was also convinced it was an escaped bull! Thankfully he ran off in the opposite direction just after I took this photo.

733532394_Bd2zN-M.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back