• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I get a credencial on location?

Mac

I'm so sick of planning and researching I just have to get over there and start! Can I pick up a Compostela when I get to Irun? And what about maps and Guides?

Title edited for future clarity. WM.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mac, I think you mean Credential, rather than Compostela. You have to get to Santiago for that. Yeah, you should be able to get one in Irun, I should imagine.

With regards to maps etc... Just follow the little yellow arrows, my friend. It's easier than you'd think. Guide books... John Brierley's meant to be very good.

:arrow:

I'm so sick of planning and researching I just have to get over there and start! Can I pick up a Compostela when I get to Irun? And what about maps and Guides?

Right, Minkey. Mac, sounds like ur talking about a credencial. U may be able to get it at the albergue in Irun, let me find that one out for u. Re: maps/guidebooks, etc., my suggestion: go to a bookstore, check out available guidebooks on the Road to St James, and take the one that looks/works best for u. They usually include maps + brief descriptions of places as u go through them + albergues (not always updated, one of the reasons why I like to invest on a new guidebook everytime I walk + it's a great souvenir) +, and I think this may be important for a first Camino, "suggestions" on how to divide ur walking stages on a daily basis. Sounds like u've been ready to go for a looong time, peregrino! Go for it! Buen Camino, xm 8)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I received a credencial from the American Friends of St. James, in CA. I ordered it last week, and it's already here. It was free, but you can donate. You don't have to wait til you're there.

American Friends

The American Association of Friends of the Road to Santiago became the Amrican Pilgrims on the Camino. You will find them here:
http://www.americanpilgrims.com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
XM, that's what I said! (I trust you employed your moderation skills in the original post?)

:roll: Need clarity, what r u talking about :lol: ? Best, xm 8)

Mac, Sil just informed me that u have to be a member of the CSJ to obtain a credencial through them, so scratch that one! Best, xm 8)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mac, I think you mean Credential, rather than Compostela.

Thanks guys! Now a little confused though haha! So the compostela is the credential at the end of the walk? lol Ok I think I may have a little bit of miss information, I thought the compostela was a sort of passpost thing that you took with you to get stamped along the way to show that you had been, where you have been....any insight into this? Also may be a silly question, but do I have to show some sort of camino "ID" to be able to stay at the alberques....

Credencial - card that you get stamped on a daily basis to:

a) stay at cheap refugios
b) to hand over at the end to gain your Compostela - the certificate at the end.

So... You get your credential, you get it stamped lots, then you hand it in at the pilgrim office at the end to get your Compostela.

si?

Credentials and Compostelas

Hi there Mac,
You can read all about the credential (pilgrim's passport thingy) and the Compostela (copy of a 14thC document in Latin) at the Santiago Archdioces website:

http://www.archicompostela.org/Peregrinos/Inglés/La%20Compostela%20.htm

You will soon be in the Spanish sunshine!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
...confused...compostela...credential?...thought the compostela was...thing that you took ...show that you had been....insight into this?
Hey Mac, hi. Sil's link should pretty much answer ur questions. Keep contacting us in case of further doubts. Best to u, xm 8)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back