• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I get there from here??

Ray Carter

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Oct/Nov 2016
I am sure this has been asked 1000 times: where is the best place to fly to from North America to get to SJPP and how do you get from the airport to SJPP? We are leaving here September 26 and can fly to Paris, Barcelona etc.
Many thanks!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lots of posts on the topic. Have you tried using the "search" function. It's sometimes a bit of a pain but it will het you there.

Quickly, from Paris: train to Bayonne, then little train to SJPP (hav they fixed it?) or bus ot. Fly into Biarritz on cheapy airline from Paris and bus. Fly into Madrid, train (?) to Pamplona, spend a night at Corazon Puro who will then taxi you to SJPP. Can also look into flying into Irun and bus/train. Right?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am sure this has been asked 1000 times: where is the best place to fly to from North America to get to SJPP and how do you get from the airport to SJPP? We are leaving here September 26 and can fly to Paris, Barcelona etc.
Many thanks!!
I'm leaving on September 16th and I chose to fly to Paris from Toronto and then take the train which is right at the CDG airport, then transfer at Bayonne to St. Jean... On the way back I'm flying from Madrid to Toronto... This may not be the most direct way but is the one I'm taking, mostly because I like trains... Hope this help some.
Chris

What I did was used cheapoair to book to Paris caught a shuttle bus from Charles De Gaule to Orly, Then flew to Biarritz. Then a pre arraigned shuttle to St John. Search using the largest airport you will begin, then to Biarritz then 42 days for the time line & train/bus or fly to Madrid then flight home. That is how I did it, it took 35 actual days of walking to the ocean, then a day to Madrid by train & 7 days being a tourist in Madrid. (Should have stayed longer at the ocean) If this is something you consider I can get you the contact of the shuttle from Biarritz
Keith

Hi @Ray Carter - skyscanner.net has a great deal from Halifax to CDG (Paris) leaving 9/26 for CA $654 return. Well worth looking at and easy to take the train from CDG or even get a commuter flight down from there. Buen Camino. Jordon.

Hi @Ray Carter - skyscanner.net has a great deal from Halifax to CDG (Paris) leaving 9/26 for CA $654 return. Well worth looking at and easy to take the train from CDG or even get a commuter flight down from there. Buen Camino. Jordon.
Be careful with some of the third party sites that advertise on Skyscanner and the like. Many of their prices are not "live".

Be careful with some of the third party sites that advertise on Skyscanner and the like. Many of their prices are not "live".
Hi @trecile - I've been using for years and not had any issues. Great place to look for deals on flights.

Many thanks!!
I am no expert here but the North American's I met on the camino this year all flew into Madrid and got the bus to SJPP and then bussed back to Madrid from Santiago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I fly into Madrid and then train or bus to Pamplona and bus to SJPP. Super easy. But it depends where in the US you're flying from. I am in South Florida. Miami / Madrid is direct so easiest for me. (I avoid stopovers whenever possible). My flight from Miami was only $739 but I checked it everyday (starting in January for my June Camino) for weeks on Kayak. The price was most often around $1000 but then suddenly dropped and I booked. From Madrid to Pamplona and Pamplona to SJPP is very easy and fairly cheap by train and bus.

Outbound both Madrid and Paris are perfectly fine but inbound Madrid has way better connections to Santiago de Compostela than Paris. Therefore, your best bets would be either a return flight to Madrid or an open-jaw ticket outbound to Paris; inbound from Madrid. Check what's cheaper on you travel dates. Regarding airlines, you could take a look, for example, at Air Canada, United... Once you know what's your arrival airport, ask again for transport info to reach SJPP or read the relevant stickies on the traveling to/from the camino area of the forum.

Hi @trecile - I've been using for years and not had any issues. Great place to look for deals on flights.
Skyscanner is a great tool for finding flights, but you need to be aware that not all 3rd party ticket sellers are created equally. It's important to do a bit of research about who you are doing business with before clicking on the "buy" button. Some of these companies advertise fares that are no longer available. What they do is take your money for a booking "request", then they may come back and say that the price has gone up. Also, you will never get a lower fare through a third party for RyanAir and other low cost carrier flights. Personally, I don't like to add a middleman between myself and the airline, in case anything goes wrong. However, for a good enough deal I will use a reputable company like Expedia.

As you can from the answers above, you have options depending on expense, time, and the number of connections.

I'd ask: are you eager to hit the ground running, as it were, or does allowing time to recover from jet lag make sense. I'd recommend Bayonne/Biarritz for a day or two like that.

On a more irrational note, just as I felt it important to walk from France into Spain -- something I'd envisioned for decades before doing it -- it just struck me as wrong to cross the border from Spain into France in a motorized vehicle only to turn around and walk back. Training down from Paris and spending a day in Bayonne before the winding train ride to SJPP satisfied some inner sense of approaching the Camino, a staged approach that satisfied some romantic notion. That's just me. I suppose someday people will arrive in SJPP by drone from wherever and think it as good a way to arrive as any.

It all really depends on price and connections. From the west we did not have good connections on Iceland Air through Madrid which would have meant a night in Iceland. We flew to Paris for that reason. You can also fly Easyjet out of Paris straight out of CDG to Biarritz which was cheaper for us than the train. The timing of the flights may not work for you though and depend a lot on your itinerary. We also used a taxi service from the Biarritz Airport called Express Endicott to SJPDP.

There are many good ways to travel and you'll get lots of good tips here. There are several links under the Travel heading which describe various options...

Just look them over and do some homework on airfare and flights before you decide.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Factors:

a. Closest Airport to SJPdP is Biarritz.

b. The closest airport to SJPdP in Spain is San Sebastian, which is 3 km from Irun/Hendaye border crossing and rail service provided by SNCF and Renfe.

c. SJPdP has SNCF train/bus service to Bayonne.

d. SJPdP has seasonal CONDA (ALSA) bus service to Pamplona.

e. There is Transports64 Regional bus service from SJPdP to Pau. Pau has a regional airport.

f. Consider how you will get home from Santiago.

A. If I were traveling from Biarritz to SJPdP I would:

a. Take Chronoplus bus 14 from Biarritz airport to Gare Bayonne.

b. Take SNCF TER 62 train/autocar service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

B. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Paris (or Bordeaux) I would:

a. Determine if it was cost effective and time effective to fly from Paris to Biarritz. Time effective means arriving in time to catch a train from Bayonne to SJPdP on the same day. (Allow 4 - 5 hours to transfer from CDG flight arrival to Orly flight departure)

b. If arriving at CDG and taking the train is the better option ... take the train from CDG 2 to Bayonne if the schedule is viable.

c. If CDG 2 schedule doesn't work ... Take RER B train to St Michel and transfer to the Metro. Take the line 4 Metro to Montparnasse. Then board the TGV train originating from Montparnasse to Bayonne. There is more frequent service from Montparnasse.

d. If arriving at Orly ... take the Orly Val train to station Antony and RER train to Massy. Take TGV from Massy to Bayonne.

C. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Madrid I would:

a. Take the Metro (from either T1T2T3 or from t4) or Renfe Cercanias (from T4) to Puerta Atocha and take a Renfe train to Pamplona.

b. Or ALSA provides bus service from Madrid T4 airport to Pamplona via Soria or Zaragosa. Bus service is slower than the train however it runs frequently, is cheaper, and requires no knowledge of Madrid transportation systems.

c. CONDA provides (seasonal) bus service to SJPdP - See ALSA schedule - from the Pamplona bus station.

d. I would consider a flight from Madrid to either Pamplona, Biarritz, or San Sebastian.

D. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of London (Dublin would work too) I would:

a. Tranfer from arrival airport (Probably Heathrow or Gatwick) by National Express bus to either Stansted (Ryan air has flights to Biarritz all year) or Gatwick (Easy Jet has summer flights to Biarritz).

b. Fly from Stansted or Gatwick (or Dublin) to Biarritz France.

c. Take SNCF train and bus service to SJPdP.

E. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Barcelona I would:

a. Take Barcelona Cercanias to Barcelona Sants station.

b. Take either Renfe train or ViBasa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

c. Take CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

d. I would consider a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastian.

F. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Bilbao I would:

a. Take PESA bus from Bilbao (Loiu) airport to San Sebastian.

b. Take PESA or ALSA bus from San Sebastian to Bayonne. ALSA buses go to Gare Bayonne (TGV Bayonne)

c. Take SNCF train and bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

G. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Lisboa (or Porto) I would:

a. Take CP overnight train from Lisboa to Hendaye France.

b. Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne.

c. Take SNCF TER 62 service to SJPdP.

These are but a few of the options.

Regardless of whichever city you choose to arrive in ... it will take a full day of travel to get to SJPdP.

Factors:

a. Closest Airport to SJPdP is Biarritz.

b. The closest airport to SJPdP in Spain is San Sebastian, which is 3 km from Irun/Hendaye border crossing and rail service provided by SNCF and Renfe.

c. SJPdP has SNCF train/bus service to Bayonne.

d. SJPdP has seasonal CONDA (ALSA) bus service to Pamplona.

e. There is Transports64 Regional bus service from SJPdP to Pau. Pau has a regional airport.

f. Consider how you will get home from Santiago.

A. If I were traveling from Biarritz to SJPdP I would:

a. Take Chronoplus bus 14 from Biarritz airport to Gare Bayonne.

b. Take SNCF TER 62 train/autocar service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

B. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Paris (or Bordeaux) I would:

a. Determine if it was cost effective and time effective to fly from Paris to Biarritz. Time effective means arriving in time to catch a train from Bayonne to SJPdP on the same day. (Allow 4 - 5 hours to transfer from CDG flight arrival to Orly flight departure)

b. If arriving at CDG and taking the train is the better option ... take the train from CDG 2 to Bayonne if the schedule is viable.

c. If CDG 2 schedule doesn't work ... Take RER B train to St Michel and transfer to the Metro. Take the line 4 Metro to Montparnasse. Then board the TGV train originating from Montparnasse to Bayonne. There is more frequent service from Montparnasse.

d. If arriving at Orly ... take the Orly Val train to station Antony and RER train to Massy. Take TGV from Massy to Bayonne.

C. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Madrid I would:

a. Take the Metro (from either T1T2T3 or from t4) or Renfe Cercanias (from T4) to Puerta Atocha and take a Renfe train to Pamplona.

b. Or ALSA provides bus service from Madrid T4 airport to Pamplona via Soria or Zaragosa. Bus service is slower than the train however it runs frequently, is cheaper, and requires no knowledge of Madrid transportation systems.

c. CONDA provides (seasonal) bus service to SJPdP - See ALSA schedule - from the Pamplona bus station.

d. I would consider a flight from Madrid to either Pamplona, Biarritz, or San Sebastian.

D. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of London (Dublin would work too) I would:

a. Tranfer from arrival airport (Probably Heathrow or Gatwick) by National Express bus to either Stansted (Ryan air has flights to Biarritz all year) or Gatwick (Easy Jet has summer flights to Biarritz).

b. Fly from Stansted or Gatwick (or Dublin) to Biarritz France.

c. Take SNCF train and bus service to SJPdP.

E. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Barcelona I would:

a. Take Barcelona Cercanias to Barcelona Sants station.

b. Take either Renfe train or ViBasa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

c. Take CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

d. I would consider a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastian.

F. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Bilbao I would:

a. Take PESA bus from Bilbao (Loiu) airport to San Sebastian.

b. Take PESA or ALSA bus from San Sebastian to Bayonne. ALSA buses go to Gare Bayonne (TGV Bayonne)

c. Take SNCF train and bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

G. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Lisboa (or Porto) I would:

a. Take CP overnight train from Lisboa to Hendaye France.

b. Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne.

c. Take SNCF TER 62 service to SJPdP.

These are but a few of the options.

Regardless of whichever city you choose to arrive in ... it will take a full day of travel to get to SJPdP.
Good job! The cheapest way is still fly to Madrid then walk from Madrid to Leon & then to Santiago. Just a matter of funds

I'm flying into Charles de Gaulle airport at 8:43 PM after about 27 hours to get to Paris from Perth, Western Australia (9 hr stop-over in Doha) and the first train that it makes sense for me to catch is the following morning at 08:19 AM. This means I'm stuck at CdG for over 11 hours but can't think of any better approach to the travel issues with getting from Paris to SJPP.

Hopefully I'll get some sleep in the air, at CdG, or on the train.

Still, I guess it's all part of the adventure. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm flying into Charles de Gaulle airport at 8:43 PM after about 27 hours to get to Paris from Perth, Western Australia (9 hr stop-over in Doha) and the first train that it makes sense for me to catch is the following morning at 08:19 AM. This means I'm stuck at CdG for over 11 hours but can't think of any better approach to the travel issues with getting from Paris to SJPP.

Hopefully I'll get some sleep in the air, at CdG, or on the train.

Still, I guess it's all part of the adventure. :)

Si yo fuera tu .... take RER train from CDG to downtown Paris and get a hotel room for the night. In the AM go to Gare Montparnasse and catch a train to Bayonne. This removes the 'hopeful' bit from getting some sleep ... and you will need it.

Si yo fuera tu .... take RER train from CDG to downtown Paris and get a hotel room for the night. In the AM go to Gare Montparnasse and catch a train to Bayonne. This removes the 'hopeful' bit from getting some sleep ... and you will need it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out a hotel.

Does anyone have tip on place to stay near CDG airport? I am travelling alone. DFAT warns to use a high degree of caution, as as a lone older female am a bit hesitant to take a train.
Where to stay very near CDG?
Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does anyone have tip on place to stay near CDG airport? I am travelling alone. DFAT warns to use a high degree of caution, as as a lone older female am a bit hesitant to take a train.
Thanks

Depends on how comfortable you want to be.

If you go to the train station at CDG you'll be safe as they close the doors at night (be careful because they also close the toilet doors) and take any food/drinks you may want. There are plastic benches there that you can sleep on but you MUST HAVE A TICKET for the next days train or they will kick you out.

There were about 15 people there, women, children (all quiet), and a few husbands and single men. No problems at all.

Might be a good lead into the accommodation in some of the albergues on the Frances. :)

Thanks
I am nervous about returning back to CDG after my Camino as I do not speak French. After some research I am staying at the Comfort Hotel the night prior and it's within a mile of the airport, very reasonable priced and they have a free shuttle service to and from CDG. It has given me peace of mind. I found it on booking.com. Someone had mentioned the Ibis Airport hotel, which is located somewhere on the airport premises, but I found it to be quite a bit more expensive.

We stayed at the Accor brand hotel right outside the CDG train station at the airport. It is about a 50 meters walk from the door. It was comfortable and had a nice breakfast.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back