• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I get this map?

Meshewszon

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
I have seen this map as an image - is it possible to get it as a hard copy/poster?

There's a space on a wall in my house that's crying out for something.....

Thanks

Attachments

• 400px-Stjacquescompostelle.png
    400px-Stjacquescompostelle.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 84
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The forum store sells a lovely map by the Wise Pilgrim: the Big Map. It is not the specific one you are asking about (if you are more interested in routes across France and Europe) but nevertheless is good looking and shows all the routes in Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Me too.....

I have seen this map as an image - is it possible to get it as a hard copy/poster?
View attachment 58559

There's a space on a wall in my house that's crying out for something.....

Thanks

Have you considered obtaining the highest quality resolution of the image you can, then finding a photo / poster shop make a enlarged copy for you? This IS possible.

Here in the US, one can go to a Staples or Office Depot office supply superstore and obtain these services at their in-store business centers. Other likely sources are some UPS Stores that office expanded business services. Check your local yellow pages or google "photo enlargement and printing."

Fundamentally, this is no different than a business creating a window sized poster from a photograph. This is done all the time. You can likely easily source something in the region of a meter wide or long, or more.

The key to obtaining a quality result is having the highest resolution original image. I have seen copies made on photo paper, plain paper (which can then be foam mounted), and even linen patterned paper, so the final result looks like 'art.'

I have two of the BIG Maps mentioned here. I know the author, also the author of the Wise Pilgrim Guides and Maps. He gave me a revised version when I was recently at Santiago. The new version is presently at the framer's shop. The original is framed, and on my family room wall. It is quite the conversation piece. He uses a linen grained grey paper that offsets the map very well.

I wish you luck with this. Please report back on your success.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have you considered obtaining the highest quality resolution of the image you can, then finding a photo / poster shop make a enlarged copy for you? This IS possible.

Here in the US, one can go to a Staples or Office Depot office supply superstore and obtain these services at their in-store business centers. Other likely sources are some UPS Stores that office expanded business services. Check your local yellow pages or google "photo enlargement and printing."

Fundamentally, this is no different than creating a window sized poster from a photograph. This is done all the time.

The key to obtaining a quality result is having the highest resolution original image. I have seen copies made on photo paper, plain paper (which can then be foam mounted), and even linen patterned paper, so the final result looks like 'art.'

I have two of the BIG Maps mentioned here. I know the author, also the author of the Wise Pilgrim Guides and Maps. He gave me a revised version when I was recently at Santiago. The new version is presently at the framer's shop. The original is framed, and on my family room wall. It is quite the conversation piece. He uses a linen grained grey paper that offsets the map very well.

I wish you luck with this. Please report back on your success.
I was looking at that possibility just now i.e. downloading the high resolution image from wikipedia.
I could I suppose go to Staples or the like or even do a print my self in 'poster mode' at home.
Seems a pity though not to be able to support the original author by buying a poster. I believe (or at least I think there is) a poster available from the jakobuswege.de website but again it's a bit on the small side.
Manfred Zentgraf, Volkach, Germany appears to be the original source of this image.
So it's a case of 'you pays yer money and takes yer choice' about what you do next.;)
All good fun eh?

Save it to you picture folder and take it to or email it to one of these places that will make a poster for you.

I was looking at that possibility just now i.e. downloading the high resolution image from wikipedia.
I could I suppose go to Staples or the like or even do a print my self in 'poster mode' at home.
Seems a pity though not to be able to support the original author by buying a poster. I believe (or at least I think there is) a poster available from the jakobuswege.de website but again it's a bit on the small side.
Manfred Zentgraf, Volkach, Germany appears to be the original source of this image.
So it's a case of 'you pays yer money and takes yer choice' about what you do next.;)
All good fun eh?

If you are creative you could try to contact the “author” of the image to offer to pay for a higher quality image file. This would be supporting the author, while getting you what you needed.

PayPal should suffice for international payments. I use it regularly.

Assuming you are successful, you might ask the author if he would be willing to sell the high quality image through this forum. Then, if he is, hook him up with Ivar. Ivar is always scouting for new and interesting items to sell in the Casa Ivar tienda.

Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good idea, I'll have to see what I can do.🤗
Mind you, I may have to avail myself of the services of a German speaker. As it is I am only fluent in English, Gibberish and hand waving/pointing. 🤣

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, saw that one too. What I would really like is the 'whole' map from that image I posted originally. As you can see the image doesn't appear to be complete, the top part of the map looks like it has been cropped.
Going to have to make some enquiries.
I really like and enjoy 'maps' - just looking and speculating about the places and wondering if I'll ever get to see them. Of course a big win on the Euromillions lotto would help, £114 million from tomorrow night's draw I reckon would be a 'good start' and I could get maps made for me as special order too!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@Meshewszon just photo'd this from my Credential. Hope the listed image info helps. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190606-133132.png
    Screenshot_20190606-133132.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
The map I really want is this one, formerly published by the Spanish government, if anyone has ideas of where I can get my hands on one. http://www2.ign.es/MapasAbsysJPG/12-F-31(ed2016)_01.jpg

This is the IGN map of ALL Camino routes in Spain. I had been sold by Ivar. According to what he told me personally in May, it is out of print and IGN has no plans to reprint them.

Evidently, they are going digital too...sigh... I cannot frame pixels, per se...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is the IGN map of ALL Camino routes in Spain. I had been sold by Ivar. According to what he told me personally in May, it is out of print and IGN has no plans to reprint them.

Evidently, they are going digital too...sigh... I cannot frame pixels, per se...
Someone in our local group has it and told me I could get it from Ivar but, as we all know, that is no longer possible. I tried to track it down on the IGN site and saw that it was out of print (which is why I called it "formerly published"). The JPG I linked to seems fairly high resolution, though. Maybe I can get it printed as a poster from that.

I just checked on Manfred Zentgraf, he's a german Publisher, spezialized on the Jakobsweg / Camino. According to this Website he has ten different maps in his programm, you can check here. His adress is

Manfred Zentgraf Verlag und Versandbuchhandel
In den Böden 38
97332 Volkach
0049 09381 4492

Jakobuspilger.Zentgraf@t-online.de

He has also got a shop: http://www.vier-tuerme-verlag.de/
Though I did not find the exact map there, write an email, try in english, lots of Germans do understand english quite well. I can also translate just send me a message via the Forum -, but since I am right now on the Camino, I'm only online every few days. You might have to be a bit patient ;-).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just checked on Manfred Zentgraf, he's a german Publisher, spezialized on the Jakobsweg / Camino. According to this Website he has ten different maps in his programm, you can check here. His adress is

Manfred Zentgraf Verlag und Versandbuchhandel
In den Böden 38
97332 Volkach
0049 09381 4492

Jakobuspilger.Zentgraf@t-online.de

He has also got a shop: http://www.vier-tuerme-verlag.de/
Though I did not find the exact map there, write an email, try in english, lots of Germans do understand english quite well. I can also translate just send me a message via the Forum -, but since I am right now on the Camino, I'm not online on a regular Basis. You might have to be a bit patient ;-).
I had already made a note about them - hence the need for a translator but thanks for taking the time and the offer of help. I'm much obliged to you, perhaps I may take you up on your offer if I get stuck.
I hope to be able to contact them in the near future as I will be going to Germany in a few weeks time.

Note: The IGN has retail shops around Spain. There is a pull down on their website listing the locations.

If you go to a shop...each shop... you MIGHT just find leftovers still in stock. But it is a bit of a scavenger hunt.

Hot tip. Anyone who does go to these shops and finds any of these IGN maps of all Camino Routes in Spain should buy every last one. They will resell easily through this forum.

Hope this helps.

The map I really want is this one, formerly published by the Spanish government, if anyone has ideas of where I can get my hands on one. http://www2.ign.es/MapasAbsysJPG/12-F-31(ed2016)_01.jpg
Wow David, that file is 36 megabytes and shows a picture 13448 pixels x 9055 pixels = 121,771,640 pixels = 116 megapixels.

Wikipedia says that 300 pixels per inch of printed picture will produce a good quality print and that means you could have a substantial poster made from that JPG. I figure 44.8 x 30.2 inches or 113.9 x 76.7 cm.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yikes! Thanks for pointing that size thing out.

I accidently downloaded it to my Macbook yesterday. I THOUGHT it was taking a long time to load... Just checked. It loaded fast and, VOILA! There I have it.

Anyway, I now have it on disk, and as a .jpg.

Now, if I can only get it moved to a thumb drive then over to a store to print it, I am "in like Flynn" as they used to say...

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

David, I have one of those maps. It does have a few pinholes from where I had tried it out as a wall poster, but didn't care for it and took it down after a few days. (I have a different wall map for that application.)

Anyway, it is in excellent shape, outside of the pinholes (which are mainly in the white-space border area of the map). I won't sell it, but if you want it send me a PM.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have used this image for over a decade as the primary map for teaching my sections on medieval pilgrimage and the chemins. It seems to have been designed for web use and was created at 72 pixels per inch, which means you can print this to a decent size and it will look fine (11" x 14", for example, maybe a bit bigger), but trying to print it as a poster or something really large will end up with a pixelated result (I am using the largest Wikipedia image available as reference here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Stjacquescompostelle.png). If that kind of mid-size print is what you want, the image linked above should work just fine. I also love this map and wish it came in a different format and resolution so it could be printed very large.

It seems to have been designed for web use and was created at 72 pixels per inch, which means you can print this to a decent size and it will look fine (11" x 14", for example, maybe a bit bigger), but trying to print it as a poster or something really large will end up with a pixelated result

[Edit: As you will see below I was giving out bad information here. I keep it here but I strike out out.]

The image is approximately 3,000 x 2,000 pixels. At 72 pixels per inch we should get something close to 4 feet by 2.5 feet or 110 cm x 75 cm. (Remember, these are approximations).

Last edited:
Yes. I've never had luck printing so large from such a low resolution, despite the pixel size, so I wouldn't recommend going as big as possible. But your mileage may vary.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes. I've never had luck printing so large from such a low resolution, despite the pixel size, so I wouldn't recommend going as big as possible. But your mileage may vary.

[Edit: As you will see below I was giving out bad information here. I keep it here but I strike out out.]

I don't have much experience with printing but, as I understand the theory, a PNG graphic with a limited color palette and with lots of space the same color should look fine at 72 pixels per inch. This is likely not the case with a JPG file holding a photograph.

Again, as I understand it. An experienced voice would be nice.

Last edited:
That's what my husband does for a living. He has saved me from many sloppy printing jobs,;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I've specifically asked him this about this particular image, which is why I responded in the first place (plus years and years of experience printing imagery). The display of the image online is not going to reflect how it prints on a large scale. 300 ppi is about the lowest you want to go for printing a clear image. PNG is lossless when viewing the image online, but when printing, 72 ppi is 72 ppi, whether its a jpg, png, gif, etc.

Edit: I've just realized that I should have been quoting in my responses. Apologies!
Edit 2: So, a solution for the image in question here would be to make a print-- smallish/mid-size is fine. Your options then would be to either photograph or scan that print at a higher resolution. THEN you can print poster-sized images. You have to make sure that initial print looks good, though. I love this map, so I may just try this myself.

Last edited:
Yes, I've specifically asked him this about this particular image, which is why I responded in the first place (plus years and years of experience printing imagery). The display of the image online is not going to reflect how it prints on a large scale. 300 ppi is about the lowest you want to go for printing a clear image. PNG is lossless when viewing the image online, but when printing, 72 ppi is 72 ppi, whether its a jpg, png, gif, etc.

Edit: I've just realized that I should have been quoting in my responses. Apologies!
Thank you.

The image is approximately 3,000 x 2,000 pixels. At 72 pixels per inch we should get something close to 4 feet by 2.5 feet or 110 cm x 75 cm. (Remember, these are approximations).
Yes. But 72 pixels per inch is (older) screen resolution, not printing resolution. I would expect to print at closer to 300 pixels per inch. If you print at 72 pixels per inch you will really see the pixels.

As a side note, you can get away with 300 pixels per inch with colour photographs. With line art, you need a higher resolution. When printing black and while line art I like to go 2400 pixels per inch to avoid making the lines look jagged.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back