• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I have my backpack transported to municipal albergues?

Traveller44

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Podiensis, Finnestere, Mux
Hello. I am hoping to walk the camino frances, this coming fall and have a question regarding backpack transfer. As I understand getting a backpack transferred to a municipal albergue is not an option. I would very much like to experience some municipal albergues, at least in the larger cities. Are there any backpack transfer companies that have a service that provides storage in their facility until I arrive at that location rather then having to deliver to a private albergue or hotel?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello. I am hoping to walk the camino frances, this coming fall and have a question regarding rucksack transfer. As I understand getting a rucksack transferred to a municipal albergue is not an option. I would very much like to experience some municipal albergues, at least in the larger cities. Are there any rucksack transfer companies that have a service that provides storage in their facility until I arrive at that location rather then having to deliver to a private albergue or hotel?
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I suggest that you make the title of your post less generic, perhaps Can I have my rucksack transported to municipal albergues?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There's an easy way to get the answer: contact the transport companies directly. The two main one are Jacotrans and Correos. www.jacotrans.es/en and www.elcaminoconcorreos.com. They can arrange transport for your whole camino, or just day-by-day on an ad hoc basis. Both communicate in English, and will tell you exactly which places they deliver to.

We used Correos once when my wife was hurt. They were very reliable, and I've heard the same about Jacotrans.

(I suspect the answer you'll get is "Sometimes").

When i walked the Frances, i remember in Leon they dropped it at a Hotel and we picked it up there. another time was dropped of at a local bar. I worried at first, but soon felt very comfortable with the way they operate. Try to talk to transport company instead of just leaving without knowing where you pack will end up. Buen Camino!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For most albergues, yes you can. Some other albergues have an agreement with a bar or a store (always very close to the albergue) and the company will leave your backpack in the store or bar. If that is the case, the albergue manager (el hospitalero) will inform you upon arrival about the place to collect the backpack. It will always be a place really very close to the albergue (max. +/-50 m ?).

When I was a hospitalera at Najera, my impression was that the arrangement was between the transport company and wherever they left packs. We hospitaleros knew where and could tell those many pilgrims who showed up expecting them to be at the albergue where to look for them. Sometimes packs were left behind, because pilgrims expected them to be picked up at the albergue in the morning and did not return them to the shipping location.

I used CORREOS and in BAAMONDE, on the NORTE, they were dropped at a bar across the street and I had to leave it in the same place the next morning. It is probably the same on the FRANCES for those that have the arrangement.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello. I am hoping to walk the camino frances, this coming fall and have a question regarding backpack transfer. As I understand getting a backpack transferred to a municipal albergue is not an option. I would very much like to experience some municipal albergues, at least in the larger cities. Are there any backpack transfer companies that have a service that provides storage in their facility until I arrive at that location rather then having to deliver to a private albergue or hotel?
i didn't have a problem forwarding to the municipals I stay at. My procedure: Fill out the tag. Call the number on the tag and let them know where you are and where you are going. Take a picture of the completed tag. Later that evening and throughout the next day there will be so many discussions on where to stay that you might become confused as to where you're staying.

Another caveat is don't expect that your pack will be picked up without checking with your hospitalero first. They should know the normal scheduled time of the courier service's pick-up. Sometimes the staff will take a break or finish their cleaning early and your pack might not be get picked up because the albergue is closed.
RRat has some good advice, making a call to the courier service is good insurance for seeing your bag moves forward.
Remember, municipal albergues are first come, first serve so delivery of your bag does not mean you will have a bed waiting for you. I saw a classic case of this one time, when a pilgrim somehow snagged a ride with Jacotrans and when he arrived there were enough of us already lined up to fill the albergue. He claimed he had priority and was quite firmly told to go find a room somewhere else.

I remember one occasion when I was staying in a municipal albergue while on camino. Three pilgrims came to the albergue to ask if their luggage had arrived yet. It turned out that they had arranged for delivery to the municipal albergue, which did not accept delivery of pilgrims' luggage. The hospitalero of that municipal was furious. And the luggage had not arrived, so the pilgrims were very anxious. In fact, they did not even have reservations in the municipal, which did not accept reservations, and they had never had any intention to stay there. Eventually, their bags were delivered there later in the evening and they came back to pick them up. The obvious way to avoid this kind of misunderstanding is to clarify all details with the delivery service.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No, but they will deliver somewhere close by eg the bar opposite the albergue in Burgos

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I suggest that you make the title of your post less generic, perhaps Can I have my rucksack transported to municipal albergues?
Remember in Oregon we call them backpacks. We don't know fancy, schmancy English words like rucksack. Do you have a torch when you walk early in the morning or a flashlight???? ;) ;) ;) ;) (I threw that in so people don't get in a huff and will know we are friends from the Beaver State, but GO DUCKS!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have used the Correos system and found it excellent and flexible about dropping off. From my experience this includes all albergues = private and public. Efficient and reasonable at 5 euros a time.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a backpack and rucksack? I thought they were used interchangeably here.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a backpack and rucksack? I thought they were used interchangeably here.
I believe that you are correct. I think that rucksack is more common in British English. I'm sure that someone will correct me if that's not true.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I forget where we were on the CF but we showed up at the Muni, got our beds and found out that they had declined the bag of one of our group.

We had to wander around and find out where they delivered it to across town, pick it up and get back. It added a few extra hours on to our day so make sure you check each and every time.

Thanks for all the replies, good information. I did take the advice to email the postal service, this is their reply

The backpack transport service is provided in all the hostels, hotels that are along the Camino de Santiago and have a reception service between 08:00 and 14:30 to be able to collect and deliver the backpacks without difficulties.

In public shelters we cannot deliver due to the incompatibility of schedules.

The left luggage service is only available at the Santiago post office.

Best regaerds.

Roberto García Gestal
Paq Mochila

Móvil: (+34) 683 44 00 22
www.elcaminoconcorreos.com

Rúa do Franco, 4
15702 Santiago de Compostela

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are also some parochials that do not accept baggage transports. Those that don’t accept will not have envelopes and allow you to leave your bags in the morning either. If you work with a transport company, they know all the albergues and will be able to instruct you as to the possibilities. It’s probably easier to work with a company like Jacotrans that provide a phone number than to work with Correos.

According to their YouTube video, Correos does have a phone number that you can call.

They also have a tracking system that will notify you when your backpack is picked up in the morning and delivered in the afternoon.

They also say this about Xunta albergues

The Xunta's public hostels do not allow the collection or delivery of rucksacks. However, you can do so at one of our partner establishments. You can find an alternative delivery / collection place or contact us at paqmochila@correos.com.

I believe that you are correct. I think that rucksack is more common in British English. I'm sure that someone will correct me if that's not true.
The rucksack is what you put your kit in.

German, from German dialect, from Rucken back + Sack sack

But what is a "kit." And would you also put it in a backpack?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
According to their YouTube video, Correos does have a phone number that you can call.

They also have a tracking system that will notify you when your backpack is picked up in the morning and delivered in the afternoon.

They also say this about Xunta albergues

The Xunta's public hostels do not allow the collection or delivery of rucksacks. However, you can do so at one of our partner establishments. You can find an alternative delivery / collection place or contact us at paqmochila@correos.com.

Yes they have a number you can what’s app (last Camino) but I didn’t find it nearly as personal as Jaco trans. Also, the albergue owners encouraged the use of local businesses that provide baggage transport.

There are also some parochials that do not accept baggage transports. Those that don’t accept will not have envelopes and allow you to leave your bags in the morning either. If you work with a transport company, they know all the albergues and will be able to instruct you as to the possibilities. It’s probably easier to work with a company like Jacotrans that provide a phone number than to work with Correos.
Ms Peacock. Great posting, advice I will definitely use ...Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I worked as a hospitalera in the municipal albergue in Najera. The bag transport companies left their envelopes for pilgrims to fill in and attach to their bags in the morning. This did not mean that they would pick them up at the albergue, still less that the albergue would deliver them. They still had to be carried by their owners to the location where the shipper would pick them up and take them to their next delivery point. If a pilgrim left a bag with a delivery notice and an envelope with cash, they stayed there, as the delivery company would not pick them up there and the albergue had no way to deliver them onward.

Good to know. I read somewhere that some baggage delivery companies had their own depot's in some larger cities and held bags for pickup. Have you ever heard this?

Yes they have a number you can what’s app (last Camino) but I didn’t find it nearly as personal as Jaco trans. Also, the albergue owners encouraged the use of local businesses that provide baggage transport.
I have always been very happy with the Jacotrans service. They use local people who know all the albergues and where bags need to be left.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good to know. I read somewhere that some baggage delivery companies had their own depot's in some larger cities and held bags for pickup. Have you ever heard this?
In Najera, the depot for bag pickup and drop off was just down the street from the municipal albergue. I think it was a bar or coffee shop which had the bag business as an extra. In Burgos, where I also served as a hospitalera at the Albergue Emaus, the bag drop off and pickup was at a nearby hotel. You have to find out from whomever is shipping your bag where to get it when you arrive in each town. As far as I know, that will also be the drop off point. The hospitaleros at the albergues will know, and will tell you if you go there first. But it is not their job to arrange this, or to be responsible for it. You make your arrangements with the business that you choose. And I am only describing the situation at the albergues which are served by volunteer hospitaleros. The situation at private albergues may be different. I have preferred to carry my bag myself, so except for one long stretch on the VdlP where I had my bag taken by taxi, I have no experience of arranging for such a service.

I walked my first camino back in 2000 when the only luggage transport was from Villafranca to O’Cebreiro and there were few private albergues so I am somewhat old school in my thoughts on the camino so my thinking is that if you can afford to have your luggage transported, you should be able to afford a private albergue.

But rather than rely on my own feelings, I just checked the website of the Spanish Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago and the Google translation concurs with my thinking, “since the shelters will be destined for individual pilgrims who have to carry their luggage with them.” This is an explanation of why some of the luggage transport services arrange pick-up and drop-off at bars and the similar places. so if you are planning on using a munincipal albergue, you might want to reconsider the usage of a transport service.

One of the things I noticed on my last camino was that a lot of the people carrying backpacks were older. In the group I was walking with, the three of us that carried our backpacks were also the three oldest, and all in our 60’s. i Am planning on walking my next camino in 2025 to celebrate 25 years after my first, and even though I will be in my 70’s, I plan to carry a backpack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am ten km from Santiago now and have had my backpack send forward to private, municpal and hotels I have stayed at starting at Sarria with no problems. When I arrive my backpack has always been there. I will say that not to many municipal Albergues have been open during my Camino walk. Where ever albergue or hotels you are in they will help you with the people that do the transport. This way you won't have to find one. One more day 27 May 2021 to Santiago and my Camino is done. Sad and happy I have enjoyed my Camino alot. Buen Camino. Natale from Napoli, Italy

The reason Correos is not very personal is because it's the Spanish post office! That's what "Correos" means. Because the camino is so important in Spain, they have developed various pilgrim services. But it's still a big, impersonal organization unless you run into someone very, very special who's an employee, I suspect!
Yep 7 Caminos and I get why. Just sharing my experience.

I am French but I believe rucksack is what is used in England 🙂
Although we understand ‘backpack’ 😉
PS: for anyone walking in France, ‘sac à dos’ is used 🙂
Mochila in Spanish 😉

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What about knapsack? Haversack? Kitbag? A rich language indeed.

I saw quite a few using Jacotrans without any problems, the only (once) time I saw one was when a Pilgrim forgot which albergue they had forwarded the bag to, in Logroño. Jacotrans were available on the phone to point them towards the place they had originally requested.

There's an easy way to get the answer: contact the transport companies directly. The two main one are Jacotrans and Correos. www.jacotrans.es/en and www.elcaminoconcorreos.com. They can arrange transport for your whole camino, or just day-by-day on an ad hoc basis. Both communicate in English, and will tell you exactly which places they deliver to.

We used Correos once when my wife was hurt. They were very reliable, and I've heard the same about Jacotrans.

(I suspect the answer you'll get is "Sometimes").
The delivery companies will generally deliver wherever you tell them to. The answer comes down to "will municipal albergues accept delivery of rucksacks (or backpacks)?" That probably depends on the albergue. I have certainly heard of municipal, parochial, and association albergues refusing to accept them. Sometimes they are redirected to nearby bars or shops. I have seen that happen. But others may accept them. Probably best to phone the albergue in advance to be sure.

I walked my first camino back in 2000 when the only luggage transport was from Villafranca to O’Cebreiro and there were few private albergues so I am somewhat old school in my thoughts on the camino so my thinking is that if you can afford to have your luggage transported, you should be able to afford a private albergue.

But rather than rely on my own feelings, I just checked the website of the Spanish Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago and the Google translation concurs with my thinking, “since the shelters will be destined for individual pilgrims who have to carry their luggage with them.” This is an explanation of why some of the luggage transport services arrange pick-up and drop-off at bars and the similar places. so if you are planning on using a munincipal albergue, you might want to reconsider the usage of a transport service.

One of the things I noticed on my last camino was that a lot of the people carrying backpacks were older. In the group I was walking with, the three of us that carried our backpacks were also the three oldest, and all in our 60’s. i Am planning on walking my next camino in 2025 to celebrate 25 years after my first, and even though I will be in my 70’s, I plan to carry a backpack.
I walked my first Camino, and had the intention of carrying my backpack all the way. However, right at the half-way point, I injured myself. In order to finish my Camino, I had to limit myself to 10km a day, and I ended up sending my backpack on as well. When I got home, I went to the doctor, and from an MRI, I was diagnosed with partial-thickness tears in the peroneal tendons in both of my feet. Surgery was not recommended, but this kind of injury means you have to be more careful.

On my second Camino, I had the same intention but already knew by Pamplona that carrying my pack was a pipe dream. Then, because even not carrying my pack was allowing me to do a decent (slightly below average to average) amount of Km a day, I ended up renting a bicycle until Astorga, then going back to walking and sending my pack on.

This coming Camino, I have been trying to train with my pack fully loaded (23 lbs including 2.5 liters of water), and have come to the conclusion that, if I carry my pack, my body can handle 15km a day--this is with taped feet and ice afterward. I can stretch it to 20km, but if I do so, I'm toast, and my feet hurt so much that even after sleeping, they still ache. This is a recipe for injury if I'm doing this day after day, and it is not possible to walk the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon with these km restrictions. Before you ask, I'm wearing good hiking boots that fit me well. I've done everything I can to lower my pack weight, and since this is my 3rd rodeo, I have a good idea of what gear does and doesn't work for me.

So, reluctantly, I've changed my plans from walking from Lisbon to walking from Porto so that I can make use of pack carrying services. I'm 45, and I was 37 and 40 for my other two Caminos.

If I could walk the Camino and carry my own backpack, I would. prior injury precludes that, so I'm incredibly thankful for the fact that there are pack carrying services available. I look like a healthy middle-aged woman, but that is misleading when it comes to my feet and my prior injuries. I'm glad that you can carry your pack, but please don't pass judgment on people who can't.

Ruth

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back