• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I Just Start Walking?

Time of past OR future Camino
[Camino Francés - June 2013]
[South Downs Way - June 2014]
[Annapurna Circuit - April 2015]
Hey all!

A while back I got my credential by sending an email to the Peterborough Pilgrims. But, when I arrive in SJPDP, can I just start walking with the credential and sleep at the albergues, or do I need to 'sign in' in order to make it official? I don't really need the compostella at the end of the way, I just want to make sure that I am elligible to sleep at the albergues.

Thanks in advance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just start walking!!
You don't need to "sign in" anywhere, though you do need to present your credencial on arrival at a pilgrim albergue, where it will be stamped (and if you wish, many other places will give you a stamp:bars,police stations,town halls,tourist offices etc.)

You can just start walking.

But for the record, the pilgrim office in St-Jean is a really useful resource! They'll give you a couple documents with distances between towns to help to make decisions each day about where you want to walk to. They also give you info about how many beds are in each town and what facilities they have (ie. kitchens to cook for yourself to save on food). I remember you saying you won't always stay in albergues because you're going minimalistically, but if you do, you might find this stuff useful. :) Much lighter than a guidebook!

Buen camino Ramon!
Lindsey

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
lindseh said:
I remember you saying you won't always stay in albergues because you're going minimalistically, but if you do, you might find this stuff useful.

Good memory! Indeed, a few months back I still thouht about the idea of bringing a tent, but I've stepped away from that idea. I will be spending most of my nights in an albergue, but I'll be going in the busy months so I might have to get creative when an albergue is full, but that's a challenge I'm looking forward to. :D

I'll probably swing by the Pilgrim's office for some info, but it's great to hear that I can just start. Thanks for the replies!

You should stop by and get a sello and a shell there, and pick up info as mentioned.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The credential (passport) with the stamps (sellos) you collect will be your best memory of the Camino.
Get as many as you can as you go along. Great to look back on later.

Stop by and get a conch shell from the pilgrim's office. Takes like, 10 minutes, and it's a euro (actually it's donativo but they ask that you donate at least a euro). Also you might consider 'checking in' with them anyhow, as I think they use the SJPP numbers as part of their records.

Just wanted to mention that you don't need a shell. Many people like to have one, but if you have one, know why you're carrying it, I think.

My father (my walking partner on my 2011 Camino) insisted I needed one even though I didn't really care. So for 750 km I resented that silly shell that would often swing around and loudly bump into something when I was quietly trying to sneak out of the albergues in the dark in the morning! This time, I will happily unburdened by it. :p To each their own!

Cheers,
Lindsey

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To help better understand the vast symbolic importance of the shell for the Camino and for countless pilgrims across time see these Forum threads >> miscellaneous-topics/topic4199.html and camino-primitivo/topic12638.html

Since the legend or hagiography of Saint James recounts that his dead body miraculously washed ashore in Spain, scallop shells from the sea are his symbol. Artistic representations of James usually depict him as a pilgrim wearing a broad brimmed hat and cape, holding a staff and with the iconic shell... Hence, from time immemorial pilgrims have worn scallop shells (in French, coquilles St Jacques). For many pilgrims their shell is a mark of great pride.

Margaret Meredith

I have a shell I picked up at the beginning of each walk. Once in hand, I carefully wrap it in cloth and tuck into a safe place inside my pack. It doesn't come out until I reach my home, after my journey ends, where it is discretely displayed. Just as the above, I find the shells to be "clanky" and always think I'd crush mine within a day or two. I hear walkers say they display their shells to show they are walking the Way. I chuckle thinking in my mind of all the other signs of those of us who walk: backpack, funny tans, limps, smell...

I agree with Margaret. My shells bring great pride. The best of all my travels gifts I keep for myself.

Stopping into the office before the start of walk is really nice. A great welcome and updated, useful information. The older man I met in '05 still stands out to me. He was incredibly supportive. I still have a little token he gave to me the day before I started the greatest journey of my life.

Proud to say my shell survived, as did the other three I brought to give away. There were times where I went "oh...I bet that broke the shell...."

I did see three broken shells along the way though. Felt bad for whoevers they were. One such shell, found about 10 km outside of Santiago. :(

LIsVl58.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Simple answer, yes, start walking but not late in the day, your pilgrim pass which you have, but check the weather in sjpdep

grayland said:
The credential (passport) with the stamps (sellos) you collect will be your best memory of the Camino.
Get as many as you can as you go along. Great to look back on later.

I'll definitely be collecting stamps along the way! As I said before, I don't think I'll be getting my Compostella, but the credential filled with stamps would be a perfect souvenir for me!

As for the shell, I don't think that's really for me. But while I'm saying that now, I might have a different opinion when I'm actually in SJPDP, ready to begin my journey. So we'll just see. :D

I embroidered a shell symbol onto my pack. Didn't clank, wouldn't break and helped to pass the weeks of waiting to begin.

Just start walking... But after you have "checked in" at the Pilgrims Office. If only to say Hi & Goodbye to a really nice bunch of people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back