• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I Send My Parcel From Outside The Eu To Santiago?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I get this question from time to time, so here we go:

Please do not send anything to me for storage in Santiago from outside the EU. Please note that Norway, Switzerland and Iceland is not in the EU.

The reason is that anything bigger than a letter will get stuck in customs. Spanish customs thinks that I have bought something and they are looking for me to pay import tax on these items. The parcel will get stuck in madrid while they mail me a form that I need to fill out with, listing the content of the parcel and its value (I have of course no idea what is inside your boxes and how much it is worth)... so that becomes complicated. I will then mail this back to them, and will look at my list and valuations..if they agree with my values, they will use that and decide what the import tax will be. If they feel that my valuations are too low, they will override them and set their own valuations and use that. Then they will send me another form so that I can pay this import tax... I mail this back to Madrid and then they will mail me your parcel...

...but this time, you have finished your camino and already traveled home... it takes forever! So please do not.

Form within the EU (like from France or Portugal for example) there are no import taxes and no customs.. so feel free to send from there. Use the post office or another private shipper (UPS, FedEx, DHL, ...).

The good thing about the post office (in France and Portugal) is that they have usually a lower rate than the private shippers. The bad thing is that if there is an issue, and we need to track your parcel... their customer service is rubbish.

But you decide... for me it is the same how it gets here... i will store what I receive.

Hope this helps!
Ivar

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Ivar!
We are arriving in Porto next week to start the Coastal Camino. As we were unable to spend much time in SdC when we were there in 2016, we are planning a number of days to explore the city. We’d like to have more comfortable clothes when we reach SdC so are considering your storage service as an option.
Have you had any reports of issues when pilgrims have mailed packages from Portugal? We are arriving in Porto on the 15th of September and will be in SdC on Sept 28th. We’d like to forward our comfortable clothes to SdC as soon as we reach Porto. Would that be enough time for delivery by Post from Portugal? Are there any other cautions we should take if mailing from Portugal? Thanks for this,
Rod

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Ivar!
We are arriving in Porto next week to start the Coastal Camino. As we were unable to spend much time in SdC when we were there in 2016, we are planning a number of days to explore the city. We’d like to have more comfortable clothes when we reach SdC so are considering your storage service as an option.
Have you had any reports of issues when pilgrims have mailed packages from Portugal? We are arriving in Porto on the 15th of September and will be in SdC on Sept 28th. We’d like to forward our comfortable clothes to SdC as soon as we reach Porto. Would that be enough time for delivery by Post from Portugal? Are there any other cautions we should take if mailing from Portugal? Thanks for this,
Rod
Rod, with so many posts on this forum it is best if you send your questions of Ivar to ivar@casaivar.com

Hello Ivar!
Rod
The only issue with sending things from Portugal is when the address is not written correctly... so usually no problems. That said, if there is a problem... customer service from the Portuguese post office once you are in Spain is close to zero. So some people use Eurosender (or SendMyBag) if what they are sending is very valuable..

My address is:
Ivar Rekve
ATT: [Your name goes here]
Travesía da Universidade 1
15704 Santiago de Compostela
La Coruña
Spain

You can find the sending instructions here:

Most people use the post office to send things to me, but you can also look into these two:
(Phone number, if needed, is: +34 981 04 21 34)

…and more questions answered here:

Hope this helps!
Ivar

The only issue with sending things from Portugal is when the address is not written correctly... so usually no problems. That said, if there is a problem... customer service from the Portuguese post office once you are in Spain is close to zero. So some people use Eurosender (or SendMyBag) if what they are sending is very valuable..

My address is:
Ivar Rekve
La Coruña
Spain

Most people use the post office to send things to me, but you can also look into these two:

Hope this helps!
Ivar

Thank you!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

My address is:
Ivar Rekve
La Coruña
Spain

Hope this helps!
Ivar
@ivar - has anyone had any issues with Eurosender? Their prices seem quite reasonable to ship from Lisbon to Santiago. I wasn't able to do an estimate with SendMyBag, because the form wouldn't allow me to put Spain as a destination from Portugal.

@ivar - has anyone had any issues with Eurosender? Their prices seem quite reasonable to ship from Lisbon to Santiago. I wasn't able to do an estimate with SendMyBag, because the form wouldn't allow me to put Spain as a destination from Portugal.
I had some pilgrims sending a big bike bag from Portugal with them and it was a pain in the %&%%·$/. The issues is that the delivery company they use to deliver in Santiago is not very great.. at least before the pandemic. Have you checked prives at the post office in Portugal?

I know SendMyBag is expensive since they use DHL. DHL shipments are transported from beginning to end by DHL. These other services, subcontract delivery at destination (then they blame each other if there is a problem, although most of the times all goes well).

I had some pilgrims sending a big bike bag from Portugal with them and it was a pain in the %&%%·$/. The issues is that the delivery company they use to deliver in Santiago is not very great.. at least before the pandemic. Have you checked prives at the post office in Portugal?

I know SendMyBag is expensive since they use DHL. DHL shipments are transported from beginning to end by DHL. These other services, subcontract delivery at destination (then they blame each other if there is a problem, although most of the times all goes well).
Thank you.
It turns out that SendMyBag no longer ships from Portugal to Spain - I did an online chat with them yesterday, and that's what they told me.

Do you know if the Portuguese post office will accept a suitcase? Or does it have to be a box?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try DPD (https://dpd.pt/en/parcels/calculate-shipping-cost)

I think know bike hire companies use them to get bikes back and forward on the Iberian peninsula. (see pic)

Their website (in English) appears to show they do - and they collect.

PS You might use shrinkwrap instead of a box as long as the label with the QR code is visible. The pic is of an unboxed/non-shrinkwrapped bike so the level of packaging would be your decision.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Do you know if the Portuguese post office will accept a suitcase? Or does it have to be a box?
You may have to plastic wrap it (kitchen wrap from the supermarket works). They should accept it (people have sent suitcases to me with them before), but it is not "normal" so you might find that the clerk looks at you strangely.

Don't know what prices DPD will give you, but they get delivered in Santiago by SEUR, and I have a great relationship with them (they also bring all the suitcases/boxes that come in from France).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.