• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I start Northern caminos from Muros de Nalon city?

Gint

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 9th Sept I will start my Northen Caminos
Hi guys,

I am Landing at Asturias airport and I booked my first night at Muros de Nalon city. Can I start my caminos from there or I should go to specific point? Where can I register myself for caminos and where can I get the passport?

Many thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes you can start there. There is no official start point for pilgrims going to Santiago. You do not need to register anywhere!

As for your credential (passport) why not order it in advance from this forum? Ivar sells them in the forum store above. You fill the details out yourself.

Just get there, find accommodation for the night, get a stamp and walk.

Buen Camino!
Davey

Hi Davey,

this is great news!
my first night I booked on airbnb so I guess I have to request for a stamp in church at this city?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A church would be good for your first stamp, but it doesn't have to be. Most pilgrims get their days stamp at their accommodation, but many bars/cafe's have them too. So yeah, church will do, or a local bar. It really does not matter!

As you can see there are not a lot of 'rules' to being a pilgrim! The main one is you must walk all the LAST 100km to obtain a certificate (The Compostela) and you need two stamps a day for the last 100km. One a day before then is fine.

What is your route? You going straight down Del Norte or turning off for the Primitivo?

You are gonna love it
Davey

As I am starting in Muros de Nalon I will head to west and follow pilgrim road. I do have an app and book, but haven't planed details yet.
I do have 16 days for walking, do you think this is enough to reach final point? as i dont want to rush too much i want to enjoy the walk.

As I am starting in Muros de Nalon I will head to west and follow pilgrim road. I do have an app and book, but haven't planed details yet.
I do have 16 days for walking, do you think this is enough to reach final point? as i dont want to rush too much i want to enjoy the walk.

Yeah, on the Norte you would have plenty of time to get to Santiago. For instance:

https://www.pilgrim.es/en/northern-way/

And remember, all stages are only recommendations, do your own thing as it suits you!

Davey

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi Gint,

I started my Camino in Santander in July and I didn't have a credencial. I took an old one with me hoping that later I will be able to obtain a new one. However, on the very first day I was given a sheet of paper by the hospitalera which was meant to substitute the credencial so I collected the stamps in it. Then, in Pineres dear Manuel (Hospitalero) gave me a new credencial and with great care cut out and glued my stamps into it. :)

Last edited:
I spent a few days in Muros de Nalon earlier this year-- for your sello, the church may not always be open but the bartender at the restaurant in the square will know the hours. If not, there is the town hall/casa consistorial on the main square, or the turismo on your left on the way out.

There is no formal registration for the Camino, but take note of the first time anyone wishes you "Buen Camino," and that will do for official registration.

The del Norte is a great trail, and you should enjoy the seafood along the way, and the company of other pilgrims.

That was where we started in 2014. We took the bus into Asturias from the airport and then grabbed the next on to Muros de Nalon and got off at the roundabout and started walking! A rather inauspicious place to begin but it was a great Camino. If you stay overnight there and begin early in the am...so much the better. Two weeks is plenty of time. Buen Camino!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have time, go to Cudillero, it's only 5 kilometers from Muros de Nalon and you'll see something like this

Cudillero.jpg

Buen Camino!

That was where we started in 2014. We took the bus into Asturias from the airport and then grabbed the next on to Muros de Nalon and got off at the roundabout and started walking! A rather inauspicious place to begin but it was a great Camino. If you stay overnight there and begin early in the am...so much the better. Two weeks is plenty of time. Buen Camino!!
You took a bus into Asturias??? o_O

Thank you all for great advises!
Now I started to think I either have to go for Northern or Primitivo way? Primitivo seems more hilly. any advice?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you all for great advises!
Now I started to think I either have to go for Northern or Primitivo way? Primitivo seems more hilly. any advice?

Your choice, but the Primitivo is simply superb!

But, you could always make the choice at the last minute, for instance you may have found some nice pilgrim friends by then and may not want to leave them behind if they choose a diferent way! It has happened to me before.

Davey

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back