• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I stay in albergues if I start the Camino backwards?

rasvizvi

Time of past OR future Camino
Reversed Finisterre
Hello!

Long story short, my best friend is finishing Camino del Norte and I am going to meet him in Santiago.

I would love to walk with him from Santiago, on the reversed Camino to Finisterre.

My question is: if I get a pilgrimage passport from Santiago, will the albergues on the road to Finisterre host me or will there be a problem because I'm doing it in reverse?

I can only find info about people who did Reversed Camino routes AFTER they finished a 'normal' Camino.

I really want to see this friend and have this experience with him, but right now it's not the time for me to do a Camino and we also wouldn't be able to meet anymore if he has to wait for me to do a Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The route goes towards Finisterre and Muxia from Santiago. You will not be going backwards at all. A regular Credential will be fine. If you walk all the way upon arrival in Finisterre you both can request the ‘Fisterrá’ or ‘Finisterrana’ certificate from the local pilgrim albergue.

Buen camino!

PS. Before leaving Santiago visit the Oficina de Turismo de Galicia, Praza de Mararelos, 15. They can supply much useful info re your walk.

Last edited:
From what I have read here - going back a few years - a pilgrim is a pilgrim is a pilgrim. Often pilgrims who decide to walk to Finisterre or Muxica will have a new, blank passport. So I shouldn't think there will be a problem.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all, hey if I would tell you the whole story maybe you'd understand why I'm doing it like this.

I have no doubt I'll do a proper Camino one day, it's just not the right time now.

thank you for answering ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all!

Hey, if I would tell you the whole story maybe you'd understand why I'm doing it like this.

I have no doubt I'll do a proper Camino one day, it's just not the right time now.

You are basically correct, most pilgrims walk towards Santiago but the Muxia/Finisterre walk is considered an extension of the walk towards Santiago and so is not considered to be walking backwards. Therefore, if you walk this stretch then you will be a regular pilgrim rather than a reverse pilgrim.

Whilst I would not call this a "reverse" Camino, the general answer to the question is yes ; though I personally have found that it's easier to do so if you are walking with your Compostela certificate.

Hospitaleros typically affect that it makes no difference, but truth is that it does.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Whilst I would not call this a "reverse" Camino, the general answer to the question is yes ; though I personally have found that it's easier to do so if you are walking with your Compostela certificate.

Hospitaleros typically affect that it makes no difference, but truth is that it does.
I've never had a hospitalero ask to see a Compostela on the way to Finisterre or Muxía.

I've never had a hospitalero ask to see a Compostela on the way to Finisterre or Muxía.
Which is not a "reverse" Camino. Well, unless you live there or something.

I never said it was any sort of requirement, I just said that it does make a difference, in the reverse Caminos of the thread title.

Thank you all!

Hey, if I would tell you the whole story maybe you'd understand why I'm doing it like this.

Most people walk that route FROM Santiago de Compostela so i don't see that there is anything "reverse" about what you are planning. Enjoy that walk!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!

Long story short, my best friend is finishing Camino del Norte and I am going to meet him in Santiago.

I would love to walk with him from Santiago, on the reversed Camino to Finisterre.

My question is: if I get a pilgrimage passport from Santiago, will the albergues on the road to Finisterre host me or will there be a problem because I'm doing it in reverse?

I can only find info about people who did Reversed Camino routes AFTER they finished a 'normal' Camino.

I really want to see this friend and have this experience with him, but right now it's not the time for me to do a Camino and we also wouldn't be able to meet anymore if he has to wait for me to do a Camino.
It is a different and enjoyable walk. We did not have accomodations problems in 2018.

In 2019 after completing the Primitivo, I walked from Finisterre to Santiago with a friend and no one questioned it. It was actually interesting to see all the pilgrims walking towards us each day.

So yes, one can walk in reverse.

I biked rom Santiago to See, back to Hospital (for something I had forgotten), on to Fisterra, up to Maxi, and back to Santiago. Didn't have a Compostela or credential and wasn't asked. I put sellos in my diary along with notes on the events/sites/facilities along the way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.