• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I still get my compostela if I take a train(or anything else) from León to Sarria?

Angelrawr

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk for the first time in a mid-September! (2016)
Hi all! :) Angela here. I am in the middle of my Camino at the moment. I am staying at León with a wonderful walking buddy I've made since the very beginning of our walk from Burgos. It's going great- except I developed tendinitis in the knee and have a hard tape wrap (artwork by el doctor) on my knee that makes me look like a "wounded soldier of the Camino" (quote by another fellow peregrina). I have to take two or three rest days and keep the wrap on for a week and I can't really bend my knee, which means I can't really hike the strenuous mountains that lie ahead. Don't worry about whether I can walk though- the doctor assured me I can as long as I take it very slow. Also, if I feel I can't walk anymore, I will respect my knee's wishes and go travel elsewhere in Spain until my return flight.

Main business- I am considering taking a train/bus/whatever I find from León to Sarria so I can walk the not so steep ups and downs that lie ahead. I am concerned that the pilgrim's office might say that's "cheating" and won't give me the compostela though. Is it okay to do that? Also, I plan on hopping on the bus/train from time to time to give my knee a break. Is that normal? Is that okay?

Thanks in advance!

-Angela

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi all! :) Angela here. I am in the middle of my Camino at the moment. I am staying at León with a wonderful walking buddy I've made since the very beginning of our walk from Burgos. It's going great- except I developed tendinitis in the knee and have a hard tape wrap (artwork by el doctor) on my knee that makes me look like a "wounded soldier of the Camino" (quote by another fellow peregrina). I have to take two or three rest days and keep the wrap on for a week and I can't really bend my knee, which means I can't really hike the strenuous mountains that lie ahead. Don't worry about whether I can walk though- the doctor assured me I can as long as I take it very slow. Also, if I feel I can't walk anymore, I will respect my knee's wishes and go travel elsewhere in Spain until my return flight.

Main business- I am considering taking a train/bus/whatever I find from León to Sarria so I can walk the not so steep ups and downs that lie ahead. I am concerned that the pilgrim's office might say that's "cheating" and won't give me the compostela though. Is it okay to do that? Also, I plan on hopping on the bus/train from time to time to give my knee a break. Is that normal? Is that okay?

Thanks in advance!

-Angela
Hi, Angela,

Very sorry to hear about your wounded knee. You will be able to obtain Compostela if you walk last 100kms (that's from Sarria on Camino Frances) and get minimum of two sellos for each day.

From Leon you can take a train to Monforte de Lemos (every 2 hours) and from there to Sarria (6 times/week). There are also bus options but to me it seems more complicated.

Ultreia!

Hi. I hope your knee recovers quickly!

Although this information is in many threads here on the forum, it is always best to get the information from the authoritative source, which in this case is the pilgrim office at the Santiago Cathedral. It might be harder for you to browse from the camino, so I'll copy the key points from their website:

To get the “Compostela” you must:
  • Make the pilgrimage for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search.
  • Do the last 100 km on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bicycle. It is understood that the pilgrimage starts at one point and from there you come to visit the Tomb of St. James.
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
You can do the Way in stages, provided they are in chronological and geographical order. However, if you only do the minimum required distance (last 100 or 200 km), you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In short, sources in posts above mine:

Yes, you get the Compostela if you walked from Sarria to Santiago, have a minimum of 2 stamps/day in your Credencial for that stretch and have walked the Camino as a pilgrimage for religious/spiritual reasons.

Buen Camino and speedy recovery, SY

Thanks in advance!

-Angela
Hi Angela, yes you can. The only thing you have to do is that you obtain at least two sellos a day in your Credencial.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

BTW it is not 'cheating' to walk from Sarria - it is probably the most popular starting point of the whole of the Camino Frances. You will be completing your pilgrimage in a way that is just as legitimate in terms of receiving a compostela as anyone who has walked from the more distant starting places.

If you wish to obtain the distance certificate as well as the compostela, you need to let the Pilgrim Office know what sections of the CF you have walked. They will then calculate the official distance for your specific circumstances that includes all the sections that you have walked, not just the last leg from Sarria.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
NOTE this comment is about sections BEFORE the last 100kms:
Although far more expensive, you may have to OR decide to, catch a taxi (at usually €1 per kms....sometimes cheaper). That way, you may also have a chance to walk the flatter sections as/when your knee improves and still avoid the hills. Also, some of those areas don't have daily buses and may be off the train line, so don't assume there'll be a bus the day you want it. Traveling this way may still give your knee a rest, balanced with avoiding hills.

NOTE this comment is about sections BEFORE the last 100kms:
Although far more expensive, you may have to OR decide to, catch a taxi (at usually €1 per kms....sometimes cheaper). That way, you may also have a chance to walk the flatter sections as/when your knee improves and still avoid the hills. Also, some of those areas don't have daily buses and may be off the train line, so don't assume there'll be a bus the day you want it. Traveling this way may still give your knee a rest, balanced with avoiding hills.
The current rate is more like 1.10 euros

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks in advance!

-Angela
Hi Angela! Trust you are healing with the power of the Camino. I completed my camino in stages ( taking into account my time & weather).. unfortunately you need to arrive into Santiago de Compostela (SdeC)with at least 100 km on foot behind you ie. Sarria to SdeC with a minimum of 2 stamps ( cello) in your Credencial de Peregrino every day SPECIFICALLY ON THIS 100 KM stretch. I do not believe any other stretch will be accepted (ONLY the Sarria to SdeC) will count. That is also the reason ( as per the requirements) that many good Spanish folk walk the last 100 km stretch to obtain the Compostela.
BUT PLEASE DO GET THIS VERIFIED FROM OTHER RELIABLE SOURCES...
Keep Walking 🙏 Every Best Wish, Captain Bonnie (Vivek)

Hi Angela! Trust you are healing with the power of the Camino. I completed my camino in stages ( taking into account my time & weather).. unfortunately you need to arrive into Santiago de Compostela (SdeC)with at least 100 km on foot behind you ie. Sarria to SdeC with a minimum of 2 stamps ( cello) in your Credencial de Peregrino every day SPECIFICALLY ON THIS 100 KM stretch. I do not believe any other stretch will be accepted (ONLY the Sarria to SdeC) will count. That is also the reason ( as per the requirements) that many good Spanish folk walk the last 100 km stretch to obtain the Compostela.
BUT PLEASE DO GET THIS VERIFIED FROM OTHER RELIABLE SOURCES...
Keep Walking 🙏 Every Best Wish, Captain Bonnie (Vivek)
You probably didn't notice that this thread is almost 5 years old!

Guess it is but there are many Peregrinos who still seek clarification. Sometimes a revival of an important question is good
There is no harm in reinstating facts for other Peregrinos who may have doubts. Thanks for reading the five year old link.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Guess it is but there are many Peregrinos who still seek clarification. Sometimes a revival of an important question is good
There is no harm in reinstating facts for other Peregrinos who may have doubts. Thanks for reading the five year old link.
What you say is certainly true. It is often a helpful reminder to people (especially new or less active members) to check the date of a thread. Sometimes the information is still relevant and accurate, but sometimes it is out-of-date and misleading, so it is good to get in the habit of checking.

Some members get annoyed at old posts being revived, and others love to re-live the conversations of the past! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back