• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Can I take my bike on the train?

AmiK

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2022
Moderator note: A new thread was created from this because this question is specific to bikes on trains

We flew into Madrid (because there are plenty of flights available and we find the airport easy to navigate). From there, we took the train to Pamplona, spent a day recovering from air travel, then took bus to SJPDP next day. Love taking the train--the terrain is so interesting. And enjoyed time in Pamplona.

Kitty
Kitty, Sorry to jump into the conversation here. I'm going to bike the Camino Frances and fly into Madrid. Do you by chance know if you can take a bicycle on the train to Pamplona (which is where I will start from.) And how far is the railroad station from the airport? Finally, are there buses or trains (subways?) to the railroad station from the airport and would you by chance know if bikes are allowed onboard ? Thanks so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Moderator note: A new thread was created from this because this question is specific to bikes on trains

Kitty, Sorry to jump into the conversation here. I'm going to bike the Camino Frances and fly into Madrid. Do you by chance know if you can take a bicycle on the train to Pamplona (which is where I will start from.) And how far is the railroad station from the airport? Finally, are there buses or trains (subways?) to the railroad station from the airport and would you by chance know if bikes are allowed onboard ? Thanks so much.
For more info on bikes on trains in Spain check out www.cyclingspain.com/travelling-in-spain-with-bike

Depends on whether you wish to have it in a bag or assembled. Trains will take bagged bikes (see sizes on the Renfe site). However if you want to take an assembled bike on this route you will have to a) book yourself on a Media Distancia train (9:07 and 12:26 Madrid to Pamplona) AND also book the bike on a separate ticket so they know how many spaces are left.

On the MD trains there are only 3 spaces on the train (centre section) and you have to hang the bike's front wheel from a hook on the wall. This can make it a bit of a rush when trying to get the bike and the luggage off so have a word with the ticket inspector about your destination. (Pic)

Otherwise MD's are a good way to get your bike around Spain. Best book first early as Spain has a lot of cyclists who use these lines. Or turn up and wait for a space on the next available space.

Attachments

• IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
it’s not always the case you need to hang the bike up or put a cover on it. In 2018 I caught a train from Calatayud to Zaragoza then from there to Barcelona with no issues. BTW I did not book I just showed up at the train station on both occasions.

Attachments

• 66BCF24B-9B75-43CF-B962-130ED62CB143.jpeg
    66BCF24B-9B75-43CF-B962-130ED62CB143.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
Today I took a train from Gallur to Zaragoza then another train from Zaragoza to Calatayud neither train was pre booked and I did not put a cover on the bike. I did get a bicycle ticket at Zaragoza but at no extra fee.

Attachments

• D54EDBB8-F99C-4F8C-9055-F7B5E7CD4F74.jpeg
    D54EDBB8-F99C-4F8C-9055-F7B5E7CD4F74.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Back