• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I walk for Javier, a dead man?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
I hope Johnnie Walker or other well educated men/women can answer me...

It so happens, that a wonderful young man from South America was murdered for absolutely no reason by an insane (so the medics say) person (in a terrible and most gruesome way) 2 weeks ago over here. He was married to a girl to whom I am the uncle. Sitting left alone: Mother, brothers and sisters, all poor, in a land far across the Atlantic Sea.

It is very expensive to die here in Norway, but luckily, we have been able to raise 10.000$ or so from friends and family for the burial, trial, and home-sending: Without it, the young man would simply have been cremated and tragically placed in an anonymous grave in Norway... Now we are at least able to return him to his roots in the Amazonas and his beloved family. But my question is:

Can I get/is it possible for me to get a Credential next spring in his name, and walk to Santiago, carrying him on my back so to speak, in order to get a Compostela in his name, and send it to his Catholic relatives far away (old mother, etc.)? I want his mother to have the Compostela as a proof that her son has done his pilgrimage, through me, at least, and that she hopefully will be somewhat comforted by that.

Ah, I should say: I will do the Camino Portuguese next spring.
Ah, I should also say: I do not need a Credential/Compostela for myself: I already have a couple, and I have not sinned since the last one, so 'm still clean...

Help/knowledge much appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re: Can I walk for a dead man?

Hi Alex. Sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your Camino. See Rebekah's message on this thread (27 October). She had her Compostela made out to the benefit of a deceased friend.

el-camino-frances/topic15653.html

Martin Sheen did!

I gave it a try when my grandson was born while I was in Santa Catalina de Somoza. The Pilgrim Office said "No", but did add a line dedicating my compostela to my grandson.

The rule may be flexible, but did not bend my way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Falcon, :wink:

I understand: But you tried to get the Compostela for a living creature; Your grandchild. I want to walk for a dead man. It's a difference.

Is it doable?

PS: Thanks for good advice you've Pm'ed to me: Might do the trick. Post it here. I REALLY want to do this! DS.

falcon269 said:
Martin Sheen did!

I gave it a try when my grandson was born while I was in Santa Catalina de Somoza. The Pilgrim Office said "No", but did add a line dedicating my compostela to my grandson.

The rule may be flexible, but did not bend my way.

As they will only issue Compostelas for children aged 8 and over, I can understand why they would not give you one for a newborn. Sounds like they could not have been more accommodating though.

Hi alexwalker,

First of all receive my condolence, please.

I believe you can walk for a dead man. Walking Camino de Santiago for another person was usual matter in Middle Ages, for instance instead of infirm or very rich. Yes, you can accomplish your Camino to save the soul of the dead person from the hell fire or purgatory. But I’m not sure you are allowed to get the credential issued on the name of the dead person.

I’m sure Church has the very strict rules and procedures on that subject. That’s why I think you would better contact Canons of Santiago Cathedral. I’m sure they will provide you all necessary information on that subject.

Sincerely,
Oleg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I once met a professional Pilgrim who was walking on behalf of someone else ; not sure if he was able to get a compostela in his sponsor's name though.
Would it really matter if they did not issue the compostela in the name of your choice? After all , why not make your own note of appreciation on the certificate? One would hardly call it egotistic after walking 500 miles in remeberance of this unfortunate young man.

Hola Alexwalker

I think that dedicating your pilgrimage to someone who has died is a really powerful act of solidarity. In terms of your question about dedicating the Compostela have a look at these threads:

miscellaneous-topics/topic9049.html

frequently-asked-questions/topic6838.html

The short answer is that the Compostela is personal to the pilgrim who has walked to Santiago. However the staff of the Pilgrims' Office is very happy to inscribe the name of the person to whom you wish to dedicate the pilgrimage on your own Compostela. They will write your name on the Compostela in the usual way then underneath they will write "in vicarie pro" (on behalf on) and the person's name.

Very occasionally we hear of pilgrims who simply get a credencial and write someone else's name on it. They present this at the Office and of course we simply write on the Compostela whatever name is on the credencial. Identification is only ever asked for in the name on the credencial is illegible. However this is subterfuge and in the context of the wording of the Compostela utterly meaningless.

For the general policies regarding the Compostela including providing it to children see here:

http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgri ... ompostela/

Also Memorial Certificates can be issued in memory of pilgrims who have died during their pilgrimage to Santiago and also in exceptional circumstances. I've written more about this here:

http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogs ... em-up.html

Buen camino

John

Hi, Alex, I walked last year and dedicated my camino to a friend who died two years before his planned camino. His name was written under mine with the mention "vicarie pro" (dedicated to). So, no problem. Servaas

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi,
If somebody shows so much compassion for such a loss, this is very comforting for the soul.
His mother will feel your love for people....and will consider you too as her son.
May the stars be with you!

Thank you all.

Now I know it is doable, and I am sitting here with tears in my eyes for joy and for your compassion. All my heart to you all.

My destiny will be to walk for the dead man next spring, and send a Compostela in his name (below mine, as anything else would be considered falsifying, as I understand it) to his Catholic family in South America. I believe it will mean a lot to them.

And Johnnie, I will be in touch. I would thoroughly enjoy sharing a tapas evening with you in return!

Thank you so very much. Everybody.

If the person was a Catholic, you could probably get an indulgence for him as well.
In the middle ages people walked on behalf of whole villages that were wiped out by plague or other pestilence.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hey Al?? Can we start calling this pilgrimage by the young man's first name instead of 'dead man'........like 'Pilgrimage for *******' . It sounds so much better and perhaps this pilgrimage is already under way ................ in a sense?? :D :)

Very sorry to read about Javier.
I myself tried 3 times to get the Compostela for my Dad, but to no avail.
On my 3rd Camino, even my Camino Passport bore his name and everybody who asked me about the name on my CaminoPassport, as I am a woman, was told that I was walking the Camino for my Dad ian dt they all felt very sympathetic.
This way I reached Santiago and the Pilgrim Office, where all my hope got shattered.
Next time I'll do the same again and then ask a male pilgrim to fetch the Compostela for my Dad.
I may be lucky.
I do hope you are lucky.
Walking the Camino for someone turns the Camino into something completely different.
Buen Camino, Peregrino!
Danadoe

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back