• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I Walk the Last 100km of Camino Frances with a Wheeled Walker?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola @longwalker If you can get a walker with large wheels (say 200mm/10 inches) then you should be able to achieve your pilgrimage. There are a few creek crossings so you more need a bit of assistance. If I remember correctly there are also walking paths beside most of the roads if the track proves too difficult. How long do you expect to take? I would suggest it might be closer to 10 days, but just take your time. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It’ll be a challenge, but you know that. Sometimes you’ll have to take the asphalt road rather than the “official” route. Take care, wear a hi-viz. Enjoy!

Is it possible to traverse the last 100 kilometers of the Camino Frances with a wheeled walker? Since the last I walked the Camino my mobility has been greatly reduced, I now use a wheeled walker to get around. I walked as far west as Astorga but never finished and now would love to return to Spain.
I led a small group of not-so-able pilgrims from Sarria to Santiago for 17 days in 2013. I did a reconnaissance walk before they started to photograph the challenginge sections. One 73 year-old lady with post-polio used a Veloped hiking walker. It has 2 front wheels that enabled her to negotiate small rocks, steps and uneven terrain.
There were sections that we impassable with the walker but she was able to use a country road to bypass those.
It is possible to walk it but you'll have a better chance of success if you have help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528_151647_Android System.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528_151647_Android System.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 27
I led a small group of not-so-able pilgrims from Sarria to Santiago for 17 days in 2013. I did a reconnaissance walk before they started to photograph the challenginge sections. One 73 year-old lady with post-polio used a Veloped hiking walker. It has 2 front wheels that enabled her to negotiate small rocks, steps and uneven terrain.
There were sections that we impassable with the walker but she was able to use a country road to bypass those.
It is possible to walk it but you'll have a better chance of success if you have help.

The BOTTOM line is YES! You can use a walker, walking frame, Rollator, etc. You are still propelling yourself forward using your legs. THAT is the critical thing here.

The rest of the contraption is basically to maintain balance and stability, and to give you a ready place to rest. Many of the Rollator type rolling walkers have integral seats and a small storage compartment - a good place to store water bottles.

My very ill wife is using one now, recuperating at home after three extreme abdominal surgeries in two weeks, and six-weeks in hospital. I have communicated with many others who have a fair amount of experience with these things to come up to speed on how they can be used. I learned a lot over the past month.

The KEY PIECE of advice they related to me, and which I will relate to you, is to make sure you obtain a rolling walker frame (or Rollator) that is suitable for off-road use. While you may have to take the paved route many times, you will still be on gravel and packed soil trails much of the time. Think about what you would use to walk in a local park with fine gravel paved trails, for a few hours. Then scale-up that assessment for walking some 15 miles - 24 km daily.

Try to find a product that incorporates useful features like:
  • larger diameter tires.
  • slightly wider tires - baby stroller tires will not do it - for long.
  • ?possibly pneumatic tires (filled with air or soft foam"? If such a thing is available,
  • a storage compartment with a low center of gravity
  • LOCKABLE hand brakes, and
  • a stout enough frame - consider obtaining a Rollator or walking frame for a Plus-Sized person. It may have all the features you need. These items exist. But you need to search.
Finally, to add some style and to make her more visible once she is able to go outdoors, I customized my wife' s Rollator with a proper bicycle bell (the brrr-RING!!! type) not a wimpy ding-ding hammer.

I first used this type of bell when I lived in Belgium for several years, and experienced the Dutch-like bicycle culture first-hand. If you did not move to the right when hearing the loud brrrr-RING! of the approaching bell, coming fast from behind you, the next sound you hear will likely be the Heavenly harps.

I also added neon colored streamers on the handlebar ends to make her more visible. This is similar to what many of us did as children. The trick is to find something with a high color contrast against the background or reflective. The idea is to attract a motorist's attention.

In this regard - customizing a rollator - you should be able to source a mounting bracket - normally used with a baby stroller or pram - to enable you to attach a walking or golf umbrella with a long shaft. This will help protect you in hot sun or light rain. Heavier rain still requires a poncho or another type of rain gear. I advise a neon colored golf umbrella for safety. I use one for walking. Obtained it at Decathlon.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The BOTTOM line is YES! You can use a walker, walking frame, Rollator, etc. You are still propelling yourself forward using your legs. THAT is the critical thing here.

The rest of the contraption is basically to maintain balance and stability, and to give you a ready place to rest. Many of the Rollator type rolling walkers have integral seats and a small storage compartment - a good place to store water bottles.

My very ill wife is using one now, recuperating at home after three extreme abdominal surgeries in two weeks, and six-weeks in hospital. I have communicated with many others who have a fair amount of experience with these things to come up to speed on hope they can be used. I learned a lot over the past month.

The KEY PIECE of advice they related to me, and which I will relate to you, is to make sure you obtain a rolling walker frame (or Rollator) that is suitable for off-road use. While you may have to take the paved route many times, you will still be on gravel and packed soil trails much of the time. Think about what you would use to walk in a local park with fine gravel paved trails, for a few hours. Then scale-up that assessment for walking some 15 miles - 24 km daily.

• larger diameter tires.
  • ?possibly pneumatic tires (filled with air or soft foam"? If such a thing is available,
  • a stout enough frame - consider obtaining a Rollator or walking frame for a Plus-Sized person. It may have all the features you need. These items exist. But you need to search.
Finally, to add some style and to make her more visible once she is able to go outdoors, I customized my wife' s Rollator with a proper bicycle bell (the brrr-RING!!! type) not a wimpy ding-ding hammer.

I first used this type of bell when I lived in Belgium for several years, and experienced the Dutch-like bicycle culture first-hand. If you did not move to the right when hearing the loud brrrr-RING! of the approaching bell, coming fast from behind you, the next sound you hear will likely be the Heavenly harps.

I also added neon colored streamers on the handlebar ends to make her more visible. This is similar to what many of us did as children. The trick is to find something with a high color contrast against the background or reflective. The idea is to attract a motorist's attention.

In this regard - customizing a rollator - you should be able to source a mounting bracket - normally used with a baby stroller or pram - to enable you to attach a walking or golf umbrella with a long shaft. This will help protect you in hot sun or light rain. Heavier rain still requires a poncho or another type of rain gear. I advise a neon colored golf umbrella for safety. I use one for walking. Obtained it at Decathlon.

Tom
Very helpful, detailed and informative. Nicely done Tom. Best wishes to your wife.

Sorry, i have been walking it for the last week documenting some of the difficult places because, it seemed to me that people thought it was a prepared path.... 90% is. But everyday there are obstacles a walker or wheelchair could not pass, some of which do not have an immediate bypass of hard road. The only path a walker or wheelchair could complete is the bicycle, which is a standard road with cars. As such I would strongly argue that you coul not do it in a walker. even as an optimist, there are just too many obstacles, that have to be bypassed and cannot be.

It's been done so it is possible. Last year I met a lady doing that stretch in a wheelchair. With loads of people, whom she'd met on the way cheering her on. And I believe all the municipal albergues in Galicia are designed with accessible showers and rooms.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, if the wheeled-walker had wheels suitable for dirt/gravel paths.

The one place to watch out for is the last descent to the river/reservoir before Portomarin. The main route has a very rocky stretch, but there is an alternate road path, to the right.

The two options were clearly signed last October when we walked through that area. Look for the split after Vilachá.

Jim

Might I also suggest a reflective vest to enhance visibility to cyclists and motorists? The next idea may not be useful for those with walker-frames, but it might be for wheelchairs-- I recently noticed locally dog walkers had obtained flashing-light dog collars for their animals. While this increased t heir visibility to pedestrians, I have adapted a flashing-light dog collar for my daypack and I have found it handy for both motorists and cyclists (especially for scofflaw cyclists who use footpaths).

A Breton pilgrim of my acquaintance had obtained, somehow and I did not ask how, a Guardia Civil reflective vest which she told me made her very visible indeed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it possible to traverse the last 100 kilometers of the Camino Frances with a wheeled walker? Since the last I walked the Camino my mobility has been greatly reduced, I now use a wheeled walker to get around. I walked as far west as Astorga but never finished and now would love to return to Spain.
Absolutely, yes.

Beyond that, those with a documented disability, if they fulfil distance requirements, can be granted a Compostela even in the case of motorised assistance along the Way.

Sorry, i have been walking it for the last week documenting some of the difficult places because, it seemed to me that people thought it was a prepared path.... 90% is. But everyday there are obstacles a walker or wheelchair could not pass, some of which do not have an immediate bypass of hard road. The only path a walker or wheelchair could complete is the bicycle, which is a standard road with cars. As such I would strongly argue that you coul not do it in a walker. even as an optimist, there are just too many obstacles, that have to be bypassed and cannot be.
There are stretches from a trail perspective that are more complicated -- but between Sarria and Compostela, tarmac options abound.

I'm hoping that's hyperbole. Anytime the pilgrim(s) didn't hear my shout that a bicycle was approaching (almost always), I would slow down to walking speed until past them. Running over pedestrians is immoral if not illegal. If I witnessed another cyclist doing so, I would help them teach him some manners.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

My very ill wife is using one now, recuperating at home after three extreme abdominal surgeries in two weeks, and six-weeks in hospital. I have communicated with many others who have a fair amount of experience with these things to come up to speed on how they can be used. I learned a lot over the past month.

• larger diameter tires.

Tom
Thanks Tom,
Unfortunately, I've had another fall ending up in the hospital fracture clinic. The orthopedic surgeon wants a knee revision and so this fall I'll be rehabbing not returning to the El Camino. He suggests I'll be able to walk after the operation with poles. So good and bad news.
Cheers Jim

Hi,
It looks like I'm going to get a knee revision and the MD tells me I should be able to get around with poles and you know what that means. I'll get back to Spain to finish my Camino the same way I started it, with poles!
Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Tom,
Unfortunately, I've had another fall ending up in the hospital fracture clinic. The orthopedic surgeon wants a knee revision and so this fall I'll be rehabbing not returning to the El Camino. He suggests I'll be able to walk after the operation with poles. So good and bad news.
Cheers Jim

El Señor Santiago will be there when you eventually return. I too, had to pull the plug on my Santiago plans this year. Family needs took precedence. He will be there next year.

Best wishes,

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many thanks for the post. I had no idea that they made walkers that were so suitable for outdoor and competitive activities. I've just been looking over the various walkers that might suit and it gives me a real boost to think I could actually return to the Camino walking!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back