• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can my wife accompany me by bus?

tonyvolpe

Hi,

I have walked a couple of sections of the Camino Frances in the past when alone, but my wife would like to accompany me, but is not able to walk long distances. We will stay in hotels, and I wonder if it would be possible for her to come with me by following my daily walks on local buses, or if not, whether it would be reasonably cost effective for her to go by taxi (without spending a fortune).

I have walked so far from St Jean to Burgos, so my next section would be from Burgos to Leon, but I can't find bus schedules for this section (I don't speak anything but a tiny bit of Spanish, which doesn't help much :) )

If the Burgos to Leon section is not possible, what about if we went to Leon and travelled further west from there? I can always come back late and do the Messeta section on my own.

I would be very grateful if some expert could confirm how we could manage this and supply me with bus schedules. I believe that what we plan to do would have been easy from Pamplona to Logrono and from Logrono to Burgos, I have seen the buses and met pilgrims with sore feet who were using them.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Tony

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Tony,
Your wife can follow you by bus but not neccessarily to all the places on the mestea.
ALSA buses run from Burgos to Leon - and beyond http://www.alsa.es
Here are the times: Some of the buses are direct (eg: 06:35, 16:30 etc) but others have different stops where your wife could stop and meet up with you. She might need to take taxi's to the other places - just make sure that there are hotels where you can stay.

BURGOS LEON 06:35 08:45
BURGOS LEON 11:30 14:40
BURGOS LEON 11:30 14:40
BURGOS LEON 16:30 18:30
BURGOS LEON 17:25 19:25

The 11:30 bus stops here:

BURGOS 11:30
VILLASANDINO 12:00 12:00
MELGAR DE FERMENTAL 12:10 12:10
OSORNO 12:30 12:30
VILLADIEZMA 12:35 12:35
VILLAHERREROS 12:40 12:40
SAN MAMES 12:45 12:45
CARRION DE LOS CONDES 12:50 12:50
SALDAÑA 13:15 13:15
QUINTANADIEZ 13:25 13:25
TERRRADILLOS 13:35 13:35
SAHAGUN 13:45 13:45
GORDALIZA 13:55 13:55
VALLECILLO 14:00 14:00
CASTROTIERRA 14:05 14:05
MATALLANA DE VALMADRIGAL 14:15 14:15
SANTAS MARTAS 14:20 14:20
MANSILLA DE LAS MULAS 14:30 14:30
LEON 14:40

One issue with local buses is that they generally don't run on Sundays. I walked with someone who had knee problems, and a couple of times she took transport instead of walking. As it seemed to be Sundays when she had severe pain to warrant this, she had no option but to take taxis.
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm know I'm late to the thread. Last year, a husband/wife team from California had the same issue. She had tendonitis really bad and could barely walk, so her husband walked and she either took the bus or in some cases, took a taxi (and carried his pack with her too) and it seemed to work well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one thing that hit me reading the post was pure eternal love. One person gets a awful lot out of the walk and the camino but their partner wishes to accompany them and expiereience it in their own way while unable to do all the walking
Well done to all concerned and long love and togetherness for all couples on the camino

benandsam said:
The one thing that hit me reading the post was pure eternal love. One person gets a awful lot out of the walk and the camino but their partner wishes to accompany them and expiereience it in their own way while unable to do all the walking
Well done to all concerned and long love and togetherness for all couples on the camino

I love my husband very much but if he were to accompany me along the Camino in a taxi carrying my pack well my love would know no bounds... :D
Nell

That is my story my wife can't walk more than 2 blocks she needs to take a bus or taxi but she will be with me all the way , My cheerleader I love her very much 35 years and counting!!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear Abel and Vicky,
A very quick reply. YES, I'm sure you will find buses virtually everywhere along your Camino route. If you use one of the guidebooks (CSJ or Brierley) you'll find reasonably-priced hostales that you can book ahead. And if you want to stay in the albergues/refugios, I THINK she will also be welcomed--perhaps another forum member can clarify that more authoritatively. Certainly I have arrived by bus sometimes, without any question. We travel as we are able--by whatever means. Albergues often display local bus timetables on their noticeboards. (www.movelia.es (or is it .com?) can be a good source of multi-company bus information too.)
Start in a city or large town--and plan each day as you go. Maybe Vicky can relieve you of a bit of your backpack weight on her buses--along with books and snacks for herself, and cheerleader supplies for you--embrocations and compeed!
Buen camino to you both!

Ahh, pardon me. I stupidly thought Abel and Vicky were starting a new thread, and all the info is already given above. Like others have said , I need to look back to see the important stuff!

Taking individual cell phones would be a good choice when splitting up for the day.
Spanish SIMs are cheap and text messages are very cheap. It would be very simple to insure that all was well during the day.
Hooking back up at the next stop would be easier when things did not go as planned for accommodation or the bus taker wanted to wait in a bar, park, market, etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Abel and Vicky,
A very quick reply. YES, I'm sure you will find buses virtually everywhere along your Camino route. If you use one of the guidebooks (CSJ or Brierley) you'll find reasonably-priced hostales that you can book ahead. And if you want to stay in the albergues/refugios, I THINK she will also be welcomed--perhaps another forum member can clarify that more authoritatively. Certainly I have arrived by bus sometimes, without any question. We travel as we are able--by whatever means. Albergues often display local bus timetables on their noticeboards. (www.movelia.es (or is it .com?) can be a good source of multi-company bus information too.)
Start in a city or large town--and plan each day as you go. Maybe Vicky can relieve you of a bit of your backpack weight on her buses--along with books and snacks for herself, and cheerleader supplies for you--embrocations and compeed!
Buen camino to you both!
Silverton thank you very much for your input this will easy my wife concern
and BUEN CAMINO>

...my wife can't walk more than 2 blocks she needs to take a bus or taxi but she will be with me all the way ...
It's amazing how quickly one covers 25 or 30 km. in taxi or bus, when for the same distance you may need a day's walking.:eek:
At each stop over on your Camino you should check bus timetable(s) and taxi telephone numbers for the day (and perhaps days to come) according to each other's progress. As experience develops, your wife may be able to walk some larger distances than "2 blocks". Be prepared to budget for the various expenses: a taxi can cost over 1.20 Euro per Km, whereas bus fares are more reasonable. Also timetables may not always be fitting.:confused:
Where there is a will there is a way;)
Ultreya!

Dear Abel and Vicky,
Buen camino to you both!
Which one do you prefer csj or brierley?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I prefer the Brierley for you purpose. He lists alternative accommodation with phone numbers that will be useful for planning each day.
If possible, I would also suggest each taking an unlocked cell phone so you can have easy contact during the day by text.
Very cheap and easy to buy Spanish SIMs in Spain.
Check out some of the threads about cell phones.

If either/or, then perhaps Brierley because of the good maps. The CSJ guide has similar in text, and more extensive suggestions of accommodations, recommended by members. Both are updated annually, and they are well worth having. I buy the maps-only version of Brierley's CF guide, and make very-small-print notes from the CSJ guide.

Having some knee soreness and don't wish to aggravate it descending Alto del Perdon. Can anyone suggest how I might be able to get from Cizur Menor to Puenta la Reina?

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Return to Pamplona on the city bus, and take a bus to Puente la Reina from the bus station.

Having some knee soreness and don't wish to aggravate it descending Alto del Perdon. Can anyone suggest how I might be able to get from Cizur Menor to Puenta la Reina?

Yes, you should come back to Pamplona. Probably your bus company will be La Estellesa, www.laestellesa.com/ route Pamplona-Logroño (or Estella) (but please confirm that). The webpage shows timetables. Those buses marked "laborables" mean "not in holydays"); I am not sure about the "demanda" indication, maybe it means that it stops in some places only by previous request.
If you are in an albergue or hostal, I am sure the owner will be pleased to call the bus company and make a reservation. Hope this helps.
Buen camino!

Kris, there is an alternative longer but gentler walking route one of the other forum posters has walked and enjoyed. It might have been Margaret Meredith. Will do a search.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kris, there is an alternative longer but gentler walking route one of the other forum posters has walked and enjoyed. It might have been Margaret Meredith. Will do a search.

Decided to go to Pamplona and stay tonight and tomorrow nights and then go to Burgos on Monday and start back walking on Tuesday along the Meseta. Maybe one day I will come back when I am in better shape to tackle this. I really need the semi-flatness of the Meseta.

Yes, you should come back to Pamplona. Probably your bus company will be La Estellesa, www.laestellesa.com/ route Pamplona-Logroño (or Estella) (but please confirm that). The webpage shows timetables. Those buses marked "laborables" mean "not in holydays"); I am not sure about the "demanda" indication, maybe it means that it stops in some places only by previous request.
If you are in an albergue or hostal, I am sure the owner will be pleased to call the bus company and make a reservation. Hope this helps.
Buen camino!
Thank you for the bus link. We want to have that sort of info with us in September in case my husband needs to catch a bus or taxi.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Decided to go to Pamplona and stay tonight and tomorrow nights and then go to Burgos on Monday and start back walking on Tuesday along the Meseta. Maybe one day I will come back when I am in better shape to tackle this. I really need the semi-flatness of the Meseta.

Chris,

Have you considered using a baggage transport service to ease your journey? JacoTrans
covers the CF and has a good reputation.

The Meseta is NOT flat but rolling. Often the path is on gravel. Be sure to read what others and I have written about this special area in this earlier Forum thread. After Castrojeriz the steep ascent up the Mostelares plateau is rough. Villages along all the route are widely spaced so always carry enough water.

Do rest for a bit this weekend before you set out again.

Stay safe and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Chris,

Have you considered using a baggage transport service to ease your journey? JacoTrans
covers the CF and has a good reputation.

The Meseta is NOT flat but rolling. Often the path is on gravel. Be sure to read what others and I have written about this special area in this earlier Forum thread. After Castrojeriz the steep ascent up the Mostelares plateau is rough. Villages along all the route are widely spaced so always carry enough water.

Do rest for a bit this weekend before you set out again.

Stay safe and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Rolling is okay, it is the steep and rocky descents that bothers my knees more.

I actually am not having issues with my pack...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The descent out of Castrojerez is 18%, the steepest on the Camino but by far not the worse because the slope down to Molinaseca after the Cruz de Ferro is murder. This is not meant to be a downer but heed the advice others have posted about walking side to side down these descents much like you might ski downhill, and/or crab walking downhill as silly as it might look it will save your knees, ankles and shins more than your injured pride. My advice to you would be, if you are still hurting after Rabanal, walk on the paved road from Cruz de Ferro, even though it is a dangerous and fairly highly traveled road, walk against the traffic and wear something bright and colorful, too.

As BiarritzDon suggests I always walk on the verges of the paved road LE-142 after Cruz de Ferro to El Acebo and continuing to Molinasecca. The actual camino trail in these areas is generally across slippery shale and dangerously slick in wet weather. Other than meeting several pelotons of cyclists I have never seen much traffic on the road.

As BiarritzDon suggests I always walk on the verges of the paved road LE-142 after Cruz de Ferro to El Acebo and continuing to Molinasecca. The actual camino trail in these areas is generally across slippery shale and dangerously slick in wet weather. Other than meeting several pelotons of cyclists I have never seen much traffic on the road.
Thanks. I am writing down everyone's comments re conditions so we are prepared. As I have mentioned before "Miracle Man" (my husband) had major spinal reconstruction last year and while he is walking just fine we need to heed conditions, weather etc and not take unnecessary risks....but I'm not planning too much (my constant catch phrase)!!!

€46,-
I'm so glad I found this thread. My mum, who doesn't/won't walk has decided she wants to come with my Dad and myself when we walk in Sept 2015. Hopefully it will all go to plan without any major disasters - she has no sense of direction.

It might be too late to join this thread but if not I would love advise ! I have just torn my calf muscle and I'm on crutches but not planning to travel for another 6 weeks , so I might be ok . However if I'm not fit to walk , we had planned to walk from Astorga to sarria and I will need to get buses or taxis for some or all of the way which would be really disappointing . Is it easy to use to get transport on this route ? Alternatively we could redo the sarria to sdc route which is flatter and easier ? Any comments would be much appreciated !
Thank you

Is it easy to use to get transport on this route ?
Taxis, yes. Bus service skips fairly long distances. Unlike much of the rest of the Camino, you cannot skip just a single section easily on a bus.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
... However if I'm not fit to walk , we had planned to walk from Astorga to sarria and I will need to get buses or taxis for some or all of the way which would be really disappointing . ...

Also to consider: You then will have to stay in hostales/pensiones/hotels and not in albergues. Buen Camino and speedy recovery, SY

It might be too late to join this thread but if not I would love advise ! I have just torn my calf muscle and I'm on crutches but not planning to travel for another 6 weeks , so I might be ok . However if I'm not fit to walk , we had planned to walk from Astorga to sarria and I will need to get buses or taxis for some or all of the way which would be really disappointing . Is it easy to use to get transport on this route ? Alternatively we could redo the sarria to sdc route which is flatter and easier ? Any comments would be much appreciated !
Thank you

Empresa Monforte (Monbus) provides service from Piedrafita do Cebriero to Sarria via Triacastela. This service runs once per day.
http://www.monbus.es/es

Gonzalez de la Riva provides service from Ponferrada to Piedrafita do Cebriero. You'd either have to check village concello sites or call the company to find a schedule.
http://gonzalezdelariva.es/Index.html

Empressa Portomarin provides service from Portomarin to Sarria. They don't have a website.

Concello de Portomarin bus page
http://www.concellodeportomarin.es/concello/autobuses.php

Astorga bus station. I recall reading somewhere that buses Pedrin operates a bus once per week from Astorga to Rabanal.
http://www.astorga.com/transportes publicos en astorga.htm#BUSES

Ponferrada bus station
http://www.ponferrada-virtual.com/transportes-ponferrada/1-4-4-0.htm

I've not yet found anything about bus service from Acebo to Ponferrada.

Many thanks for all your comprehensive replies . It might be too ambitious if my leg isn't fully recovered . I'll have to wait and see . There's a good bus service as far as I can remember from palas de re onwards and my companions haven't done that stretch so it's another option . thanks again . Last year ,one week on the camino kept me going for months !
Thanks again , Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back