• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can Salvador be done in 4 days?

skotzko

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2022: Frances + Primitivo
I'm coming off the Frances from SJPP to Leon so have my legs under me. I need to be in Oviedo next Friday, July 1 and need to leave Oviedo Monday June 27.

Can Salvador realistically be done Monday -Friday? If not, and had to cut a day, which part of it would you recommend skipping through?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can Salvador realistically be done Monday -Friday?

Hi, @skotzko. I have done the Salvador, as has LTfit, and undoubtedly many others, in 4 days. They are long days, but I have done this in my 60s and 70s and you look like quite the youngster. And you have been walking for weeks now, so it seems pretty do-able for you.

The key is walking on the first day to Pola de Gordón. That’s a long 38 km, but with a good stop in La Robla, and a reservation in Pola de Gordón, you could saunter your way there. (I like Pensión 15 day mayo, but the rooms over the Mesón de Miguel are fine, too). From there, the next obvious stages are Pajares and Pola de Lena (don’t get your “Polas” mixed up). None of those stages is a walk in the park.

If you say you need to be in Oviedo on Friday, maybe you could also add Friday morning to your walking time. Mieres to Oviedo is a very do-able 19 km. There are three ascents, but they progress from stiffest to easiest so that’s nice.

With regards to your “which part should I skip” question, I’m pretty sure everyone would say Mieres to Oviedo is the one to consider. And it would be very easy, because Mieres is essentially an Oviedo suburb and has a lot of public transport options. And the nice thing is that it’s at the end of the walk, so you can have it as insurance in case you need to cut the walking short. But I don’t think you will. Buen camino and good luck with this!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, @skotzko. I have done the Salvador, as has LTfit, and undoubtedly many others, in 4 days. They are long days, but I have done this in my 60s and 70s and you look like quite the youngster. And you have been walking for weeks now, so it seems pretty do-able for you.

The key is walking on the first day to Pola de Gordón. That’s a long 38 km, but with a good stop in La Robla, and a reservation in Pola de Gordón, you could saunter your way there. (I like Pensión 15 day mayo, but the rooms over the Mesón de Miguel are fine, too). From there, the next obvious stages are Pajares and Pola de Lena (don’t get your “Polas” mixed up). None of those stages is a walk in the park.

If you say you need to be in Oviedo on Friday, maybe you could also add Friday morning to your walking time. Mieres to Oviedo is a very do-able 19 km. There are three ascents, but they progress from stiffest to easiest so that’s nice.

With regards to your “which part should I skip” question, I’m pretty sure everyone would say Mieres to Oviedo is the one to consider. And it would be very easy, because Mieres is essentially an Oviedo suburb and has a lot of public transport options. And the nice thing is that it’s at the end of the walk, so you can have it as insurance in case you need to cut the walking short. But I don’t think you will. Buen camino and good luck with this!
Thank you! I don't need to be in Oviedo until Friday early evening, so I can walk some that day too.

Unless you’re planning on scarce taxis the shortcuts are the bus from Leon to Carbajal de la legua and the train from Mieres. In the middle bits you’ll find yourself spending more time on logistics than walking
Also @skotzko (you may be fit enough but others looking later may be interested)
When I walked Salvador in 2015 I met someone in Buiza who had travelled from Slovakia to start the Salvador in La Robla. He took the train to his start.
I just looked online to see what train timetable there is now. It looks like there is a train from León (leaves at 9.25am) to La Robla / takes 20 minutes and fare is approximately the cost of a coffee.

So you could shorten that first day (if you had to by train as mentioned or by the bus as tinc mentions.

I like @peregrina2000 ‘s plan though - to have the ‘insurance’ at the end with the last bit being into Oviedo.

Buen camino

Thank you! I don't need to be in Oviedo until Friday early evening, so I can walk some that day too.
We did La Robla - Poladura - Campomanes (Buendenos) - Mieres - Oviedo. Th last day, from Mieres was a leisurely stroll and we arrived in Oviedo in time for lunch.
For the stage to Poladura we stopped to pick up food/wine in the mini mercado in La Pola, as there was a kitchen in the Poladura albergue but no shop in the village.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

As Laurie mentioned I walked the Salvador last June in 4 days (64 year old woman). I thought it quite doable but many may not agree with me😂. That first day to Pola de Gordon is long but IMHO not difficult. Leave early to beat the heat and follow the river route which is well marked. Lovely Camino!

I did it in 5 and I found it pretty tough. If I was you I would walk at whatever pace I found comfortable and if you run out of time you can always get a train to Oviedo from, for example, Mieres del Camino.

Made it to La Pola de Gordon! Thank you so much for explaining this. Looking at the route ahead, not concerned at all about getting to Oviedo Friday.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Made it to La Pola de Gordon! Thank you so much for explaining this. Looking at the route ahead, not concerned at all about getting to Oviedo Friday.
So glad to hear this. Where did you stay, and where are you headed tomorrow?

I am sorry to see that you have completed your Find Penguins posts, which you started when Ivar announced the collaboration. Couldn’t you re-open your thread and post some more pictures??? ;)

So glad to hear this. Where did you stay, and where are you headed tomorrow?

I am sorry to see that you have completed your Find Penguins posts, which you started when Ivar announced the collaboration. Couldn’t you re-open your thread and post some more pictures??? ;)
I stayed at 15 de Mayo. Aiming for Pajares today. Not sure what's going on as I haven't seen any other pilgrims but when I called ahead the places in Pajares said they were full.

Confused what you mean about the app -- I'm still posting on FindPenguins. Have been most every day → https://findpenguins.com/5yfe7wpsz7...06?s=90f94949d9431f066d8c1689c494402f772f4a91

Last edited:
I stayed at 15 de Mayo. Aiming for Pajares today. Not sure what's going on as I haven't seen any other pilgrims but when I called ahead the places in Pajares said they were full.

Confused what you mean about the app -- I'm still posting on FindPenguins. Have been most every day → https://findpenguins.com/5yfe7wpsz7...06?s=90f94949d9431f066d8c1689c494402f772f4a91
My bad, I just didn’t see it. Thanks!

Many people walk Poladura to Pajares, so you may be catching up with a ”crowd.” The albergue in Pajares, and the hospitalera, are pretty great, so don’t worry if the private places are full.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My bad, I just didn’t see it. Thanks!

Many people walk Poladura to Pajares, so you may be catching up with a ”crowd.” The albergue in Pajares, and the hospitalera, are pretty great, so don’t worry if the private places are full.
Got to Pajares after a LONG day--doing both sets of mountain climbs in one day... Today was tough. Ran out of water and food so was a challenging one. At the albergue here now w/ 2 other pilgrims--the hospitalera is great. Still haven't seen any other pilgrims besides these two ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm coming off the Frances from SJPP to Leon so have my legs under me. I need to be in Oviedo next Friday, July 1 and need to leave Oviedo Monday June 27.

Can Salvador realistically be done Monday -Friday? If not, and had to cut a day, which part of it would you recommend skipping through?
With you camino legs already you should not have any problems. I walked Vegacervera (on the Olvidado) to Poladura Via Buiza 27km day 1, Poladura to Pola de Lena 41 kms day 2 then Pola de Lena to Oviedo 32kms in Oct 2019 when i was only 65 so you should be OK.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back