A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Can someone translate, please?

Laliibeans

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014)
In the past week I've bought both my tickets and my camera so I'm getting very excited, then it occurred to me that none of the Spanish courses or books I've been using have a section on photography. So I was wondering if any of the learned scholars of the Spanish language here might be able to tell me how to say "Do you mind if I take a photo of you?" and "Is photography allowed?"

Thank you in advance.

julo d.

Do you mind if I take a photo of you? = ¿Te importa si tomo una foto tuya?

Is photography allowed? = ¿se puede fotografiar?

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Formal (older people you don't have any relation with) : Le importa si le hago una foto?
Informal : Te importa si te hago una foto ?

In case of memorizing only one, choose the second

fortview

Camino(s) past & future
Camino frances Sept/oct 2012 , Salvador, Primitivo 2013
Cotswold Way July 2014
European Peace Walk August 2014 (John)
If you forget those kind translations , just use sign language! Wave your camera around, and make a questioning gesture ! I've found miming, acting, and using sign language can get you far! :) Buen camino

Laliibeans

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014)
Thanks, I'll add them to my note book. I hope they can forgive my poor pronunciation :D

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Jul-Aug 05, Frances, Jul-Aug 06, Portugues, Oct 2010
Forgive my ignorance just in case any of the above posters are native Spanish speakers, but I thought it would be "Te importa si te sacque una foto?" I was taught that the correct verb to use was Sacar fotos, not hacer or tomar.

jnoval

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Primitivo 2015
Sacar una foto is more commonly used. ¿Te puedo sacar una foto ? Or ¿Se puede/permite sacar fotos ?

LTfit

Veteran Member
I am not a native speaker but thought that hacer una foto could also used.

So for clarification possibilities are: Te puedo sacar una foto? Te puedo hacer una foto? o Te puedo tomar una foto?

Please correct me if this is not the case.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Speaking of translations .....Could anyone tell me if there is a Spanish equivalent to "May I please have ......" instead of the straightforward "Quiero ....."? Muchas Gracias :)

kilgore

Camino(s) past & future
Astorga-Santiago November 2012
Camino Aragonés & Francés November/December 2013
"Do you mind if I take a photo of you?" and "Is photography allowed?"

Thank you in advance.
It's more frequent to say "¿te importa si te hago una foto?" and "¿se puede hacer fotos?" at least in Spain. It's also valid/ used "sacar (te importa si te saco una foto?)" . As Pelegrin says, the polite form is "¿le importa si le hago una foto?". I cannot imagine saying to an old person in Galicia "te importa", but the polite "usted" is becoming less used.
The translation to a sentence like "May I please have a photo of you?" could be "¿Podría hacerle una foto?"

freescot

Camino(s) past & future
La Plata (2010) Portuguese from Coimbra(2010) Levante (2011) La Lana (2013) Francés from Roncevalles to Molinasaca then the Camino de Invierno (2014)
The Spanish will be delighted that you are speaking even a bit of Spanish. They are most tolerant of us "guiris" (foreigners) with flawed Spanish. My spanish wife said to me, after four years together, "We here have a lot of tenses for our verbs. You in Scotland have only 3." She was being serious, not knowing any English grammar but only having heard me use past, present and future when I speak Spanish.
Now I know I should have been saying "sacar una foto." Thanks, but what's the subjunctive and conditional present?

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Te importa si te hago/tomo/saco/tiro una foto? hago(do,make)/tomo(take)/ saco, tiro(shoot).

All of them are correct.

But, the most common in Spain for this case is "hago"

"Tomo" is more used in LatinAmerica.

"Saco/tiro" is more for family or friend portraits

Laliibeans

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014)
I was only talking to a friend today (an English major) about how few tenses and nuances we have in English compared to many other languages. She finds it very limiting and I must say, I agree!
Thank you for the thorough answers, I do prefer to use as polite a form of a language as I can so if i do make mistakes at least I'm not accidentally being rude about it.

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 132 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 203 23.9%