• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can someone translate, please?

Laliibeans

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
In the past week I've bought both my tickets and my camera so I'm getting very excited, then it occurred to me that none of the Spanish courses or books I've been using have a section on photography. So I was wondering if any of the learned scholars of the Spanish language here might be able to tell me how to say "Do you mind if I take a photo of you?" and "Is photography allowed?"

Thank you in advance.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you mind if I take a photo of you? = ¿Te importa si tomo una foto tuya?

Is photography allowed? = ¿se puede fotografiar?

Formal (older people you don't have any relation with) : Le importa si le hago una foto?
Informal : Te importa si te hago una foto ?

In case of memorizing only one, choose the second

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you forget those kind translations , just use sign language! Wave your camera around, and make a questioning gesture ! I've found miming, acting, and using sign language can get you far! :) Buen camino

Thanks, I'll add them to my note book. I hope they can forgive my poor pronunciation :D

Forgive my ignorance just in case any of the above posters are native Spanish speakers, but I thought it would be "Te importa si te sacque una foto?" I was taught that the correct verb to use was Sacar fotos, not hacer or tomar.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sacar una foto is more commonly used. ¿Te puedo sacar una foto ? Or ¿Se puede/permite sacar fotos ?

I am not a native speaker but thought that hacer una foto could also used.

So for clarification possibilities are: Te puedo sacar una foto? Te puedo hacer una foto? o Te puedo tomar una foto?

Please correct me if this is not the case.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Speaking of translations .....Could anyone tell me if there is a Spanish equivalent to "May I please have ......" instead of the straightforward "Quiero ....."? Muchas Gracias :)

"Do you mind if I take a photo of you?" and "Is photography allowed?"

Thank you in advance.

It's more frequent to say "¿te importa si te hago una foto?" and "¿se puede hacer fotos?" at least in Spain. It's also valid/ used "sacar (te importa si te saco una foto?)" . As Pelegrin says, the polite form is "¿le importa si le hago una foto?". I cannot imagine saying to an old person in Galicia "te importa", but the polite "usted" is becoming less used.
The translation to a sentence like "May I please have a photo of you?" could be "¿Podría hacerle una foto?"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Spanish will be delighted that you are speaking even a bit of Spanish. They are most tolerant of us "guiris" (foreigners) with flawed Spanish. My spanish wife said to me, after four years together, "We here have a lot of tenses for our verbs. You in Scotland have only 3." She was being serious, not knowing any English grammar but only having heard me use past, present and future when I speak Spanish.
Now I know I should have been saying "sacar una foto." Thanks, but what's the subjunctive and conditional present?

Te importa si te hago/tomo/saco/tiro una foto? hago(do,make)/tomo(take)/ saco, tiro(shoot).

All of them are correct.

But, the most common in Spain for this case is "hago"

"Tomo" is more used in LatinAmerica.

"Saco/tiro" is more for family or friend portraits

I was only talking to a friend today (an English major) about how few tenses and nuances we have in English compared to many other languages. She finds it very limiting and I must say, I agree!
Thank you for the thorough answers, I do prefer to use as polite a form of a language as I can so if i do make mistakes at least I'm not accidentally being rude about it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.