• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can the camino be done in parts?

srinivasprabhu794

Time of past OR future Camino
November 2019 (Camino del norte) in parts
Hello,

My name is Srinivas and I am from Bangalore, India. I am planning to the Camino del Norte route this year from November 2nd 2019 (from Irun up to Bilbao). Is it fine to do a part of the route every year? So, that I can come back the next year and continue from where I left off? (Bilbao to maybe Santiago de Compostella)?

Let me know if its possible to do it in parts every year or has to be done at once ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Absolutely fine to do it in parts, just make sure you get 1 stamp a day there, and 2 in the last 100km before Santiago if you want to get your Compostella. There are many people here in Europe who start walking from home and walk it to Santiago in parts, sometimes over the years. Bom Caminho! :)

I quote:
"You can do the Way in stages, provided they are in chronological and geographical order. However, if you only do the minimum required distance (last 100 or 200 km), you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage). "
Source: Oficina de acogida al peregrino, arquidiócesis de Compostela. Webpage here.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As others have said yes it's fine. I had an Irish lady who came through the Pilgrim Office last year who had taken 10 years to walk from SJPP to SdC and I worked with a Canadian hospitalero at Rabanal who took the same amount of time to walk from Arles to SdC.

Take your time and enjoy your pilgrimage!

Thanks a lot for the replies my fellow peregrinos. :) Can i buy the camino passport at Irun ?

Hi! To qualify for the Compostela, you only need to walk the final 100km before Santiago on any official route. The "certificate of distance", which you can order for €3, provides more information about your starting point and distance covered. Anyway I see you're starting 2 November - i.e. this weekend!! You've probably done your research, but just in case: the Norte can be very wet. The temperatures forecast for next week seem quite mild, but probably a lot cooler than Bangalore!

The other thing to consider is that lots of the albergues are now closed. I've just checked, and the albergue in Irun is closed from 31 October, the next one along (Pasajes San Juan) closed on 20 October, and there is no pilgrim albergue in San Sebastian. I haven't checked further along the route than that, but this might put a spanner in the works. There is much more availability on the Camino Frances at this time of year. It will be very quiet on the Norte, and with very little company. This might be exactly what you're looking for, but just letting you know in case it's not what you're expecting.

p.s. with the albergue in Irun closed from Thursday onwards, I'm not sure where you'll get your credencial... hmm. Anyone else have ideas?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Will they not sign the credential at any private albergues ? :)

Yes, you can get a stamp from most places (hotels, hostels, tourist offices, even bars!) so it won't be a problem - although it might be a bit disappointing not staying in the albergues as you won't get to meet many other pilgrims. I'm still not sure where you can get your credencial from though, as they normally have them in the albergue in Irun. Where are you flying into? (you can often get it from a cathedral or pilgrim association in other cities in France or Spain...) Otherwise - just thinking out lout here - maybe you could order one from the forum and have it delivered to your hotel/hostel in Irun?

Ok! I phoned the cathedral in Irun. They have credencials! Here's a map 😊

The gentleman I spoke to said that there would be someone there from about 10:30am every morning. He was a bit vague about the closing time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Jan,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will be flying into Madrid on 31st October and taking an ALSA bus to Irun on the morning of November 2nd. Do u think I can buy the credential form in Madrid? Also, on an off note if the Albergues are closed then staying at a place hosted by a couchsurfer or an Airbnb address is also fine right?

Hello Jan,

Thanks for the help. I'll keep this thread updated based on my progress on the Camino. Muchas Gracias :)

Hello Jan,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I will be flying into Madrid on 31st October and taking an ALSA bus to Irun on the morning of November 2nd. Do u think I can buy the credential form in Madrid? Also, on an off note if the Albergues are closed then staying at a place hosted by a couchsurfer or an Airbnb address is also fine right?

I think you were replying at the same time so didn't see my msg about the cathedral in Irun. And yes, you could get one in Madrid (either from the camino 'Asociación', or the Iglesia de Santiago)

The credencial serves two purposes: 1. To show the pilgrim office that you have walked the final 100km into Santiago, and 2. To allow access to the pilgrim albergues (a bit like having a hostel card). Whether or not you've spent the preceding night/s in private accommodation really doesn't matter, but they like to see a stamp from the last town you stayed in (even if it's from a café/bar) to show that you have indeed walked that stage.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As getting from the airport downtown is a hassle, and a likely waste of time if you do not plan to spend time at Madrid, I recommend obtaining a credencial at Irun.

Just walk your Camino as others have said. Date all your sellos, including the year. When you stop this time, just retain your credentials securely. When you next return, simply travel to the point you stopped at, and resume your Camino towards Santiago. Use the same credencial.

It is very common for pilgrims to break their Caminos up into segments, especially if they are longer routes, or they do not have the time to devote or the resources to do it in one go. Some folks also have visa issues. My limiting factor is a wife who will not allow me to walk for more that three actual weeks... she cares...

The Pilgrim Office will look for a continuous line of march in a direction towards Santiago. They do not care how long it took you.

Clearly, splitting any route into segments is easier for our European friends, most of whom live closer to Spain and may not have visa issues. So, most pilgrims who travel from a far distance, like you, me, and many others must plan to do longer segments, due to the overhead expenses just to get to and from our Camino.

Hope this helps.

Sure! It's taken me since 2006 or 2009 (can't remember which) to complete the VDLP.
I will finally complete it in March 2020.

The other route I'm working on is the one from Malaga.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello t2andreo,

Thanks for ur wonderful response. I will make sure I remember what u said :)

Srinivas- it took me four years and six trips to finish the Camino Francés. The worst part was saying goodbye to walking friends every time. You’ll have a great time no matter how you do it. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm in Madrid thinking of going to Irun tomorrow. I got my Camino passport. But as I check the weather it seems bad. 20mm of rain predicted. Do u think it's going to be super bad to walk in this kind of rain ? Or is it possible ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm in Madrid thinking of going to Irun tomorrow. I got my Camino passport. But as I check the weather it seems bad. 20mm of rain predicted. Do u think it's going to be super bad to walk in this kind of rain ? Or is it possible ?
If you keep waiting for the rain to stop on one of the Northern Caminos then you will have to be very patient.
Just start and see where you end . It is all part of the magic.
Dress acccordingly and good luck!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.