• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can walk 800k but cannot figure this forum.

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
I have no problem figuring out the Camino but Lord how I struggle to figure out managing the forums. Is there a manual for how to manage my preferences, forums , threads etc? Why are some forums BOLD and others not? If I watch a forum does that mean I am also watching all sub-forums? If I watch a forum do I have to login to see posts or is a summary sent to me?

Help!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
About the bold new posts. I think the threads you have not read are in bold, and the ones you have read are not in bold. This only applies to threads that you have read while being logged in. If you have read them while not being logged in, my logic does not apply. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Very close. The bold indicates that you have not read anything OR that someone has posted to the thread since the last time you read something there. If you click on a bolded thread you should end up being displayed the oldest post you haven't read. If you visit a thread the software then assumes you have read all posts (even if you got bored after just a couple and went somewhere else).

Hi BombayBill,

Thank you for starting this thread. I am the newest of the forum moderator team and have been thinking of writing some information threads/instructions for the forum. In fact, I have some notes started. Your questions give me a good excuse to get on with the task. However, it will take a bit of time. [Edited to add: You might not need all the following suggestions, but another new member might.]

Other members will be helpful - for example, above, the explanations about the bold thread names where there are posts that you haven't read. (Somewhat like unread emails on your computer or phone.)

The way that I find most convenient for using the forum on a daily basis is the following:
  1. Go to What's new in the blue band at the top of your screen.
  2. On the dropdown menu (using the little triangle beside "new') select New posts
  3. Once that page loads, make it a favourite or bookmark it using whatever way your browser provides.
Then in future, whenever I get on the computer and want to read the forum, I simply click on that bookmark/favourite. I am taken to a list of all the threads that have posts that are new since my last visit. They are listed from newest to oldest (time of the new post, not of the original thread).

Now, as for a new member who has thousands of unread posts, they are probably looking for specific information, or perhaps even general experiences. For this,
  • You can browse through the forums and sub-forums listed on the Home page. This can also be a bit daunting, but I think some improvements are gradually underway.
  • Look at the tags (Popular Camino Topics) on the Home page. Click on one of them to go to a collection of threads on that topic.
  • Use the Search function in the upper right. Again, this is not the most brilliant search function in the world, but it helps. I will leave further instructions on how to use the Search function more effectively, to a future post.
Searching and knowing where to look can be hard for newcomers. Feel free to post a question on a new thread, or even here on this thread, and we will direct you to further information.

It is useful to be familiar with the private message function - this forum software calls them Conversations. I will send one to you, and you should see an alert notice by the envelope icon in the upper right of your screen. That is a private message. If you reply to that, I'll know you have mastered that function!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If I watch a forum do I have to login to see posts or is a summary sent to me?
Hi @BombayBill
A couple of things which may help too

-when you are reading a post /if you are interested in following that post and think you may lose track of where it is - ‘you’ll notice beside the title of any post -WATCH-
Click on that ... then any additional posts on that thread will be notified to you / sitting in your ALERTS ‘reminders (which is the ‘bell’ on my mobile ).
You can also switch it back to ‘unwatch’ if you don’t want further notifications of postings to that thread .

- I’m not sure if you have to select to receive daily and weekly email updates from @ivar (the forum). This gives you posts put up on the forum in previous day (or previous week / on the other email ). Pretty sure that if you ignore these emails for a certain period (? ) you will drop off the email list by Ivar. / Ivar or others can give exact time frame for this to happen.

Regarding things remaining bold. I find on my mobile that even though I’ve read a thread it will remain bold until I’ve exited the forum and come back in fresh.

Happy Christmas.
x

Hi @BombayBill
A couple of things which may help too

-when you are reading a post /if you are interested in following that post and think you may lose track of where it is - ‘you’ll notice beside the title of any post -WATCH-
Click on that ... then any additional posts on that thread will be notified to you / sitting in your ALERTS ‘reminders (which is the ‘bell’ on my mobile ).
You can also switch it back to ‘unwatch’ if you don’t want further notifications of postings to that thread .

- I’m not sure if you have to select to receive daily and weekly email updates from @ivar (the forum). This gives you posts put up on the forum in previous day (or previous week / on the other email ). Pretty sure that if you ignore these emails for a certain period (? ) you will drop off the email list by Ivar. / Ivar or others can give exact time frame for this to happen.

Regarding things remaining bold. I find on my mobile that even though I’ve read a thread it will remain bold until I’ve exited the forum and come back in fresh.

Happy Christmas.
x
Does watching a forum mean I’m watching all sub forums automatically?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ve been on this forum for several years and still haven’t figured out how come I sometimes post two identical copy’s of my contribution.
However, one of the most useful things I’ve learned from my caminos is to not be distressed when I discover that I don’t know where I am or how things work.
It’s all part of the pilgrim experience.

Does watching a forum mean I’m watching all sub forums automatically?
I ‘believe’ you can select to ‘watch’ an entire sub-forum /. I have done this with the sub forum ‘zoom meetings’ so I’m aware when a post is made of a new zoom.
I personally don’t select that for other sub-forums eg: Camino Francés... as I can go in any time and choose what threads I want to read ‘when I have time’. If any of these threads are particularly in my current interest , I will follow individually by selecting WATCH., for that individual thread. (Make sense ?)

also sometimes if I’m planning to follow or research a camino , I have selected WATCH for that sub-forum in entirety.. (when it is an untraveled or not much posted on it forum - like via francigena for example ‘.

it can give you as much or as little as you can handle.

Annie

When you request to see what threads have new posts Ivar's server sends you a webpage. If you then click a link to read the new posts in the selected thread you are served a new webpage. When done you are likely to do a return so you can read another thread with new posts. Your browser returns you to the previous page it received, the one where the thread you were reading was bolded. The thread is still in bold because you are (re)viewing the page that was served earlier. If you tell your browser to refresh the page Ivar's server will send you an up-to-date version of the new posts page. Now that page should show you the thread title in a regular font instead of a bold one.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Now that zoom is an option, why not do a zoom call on this very thing and do screen sharing in the process so folks are able to see where to click and what to click. Just a thought!

I have no problem figuring out the Camino but Lord how I struggle to figure out managing the forums. Is there a manual for how to manage my preferences, forums , threads etc? Why are some forums BOLD and others not? If I watch a forum does that mean I am also watching all sub-forums? If I watch a forum do I have to login to see posts or is a summary sent to me?

Help!
I have to empathise with you Bombay Bill and also to admit that I struggled for a long time to work out the best way to understand just how, not only this particular forum, but others which I am involved with, actually work. I am still quite bamboozled at times even now. I hope that you will be able to get your head around it all soon. Cheers..Susanawee

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi BombayBill,

Thank you for starting this thread. I am the newest of the forum moderator team and have been thinking of writing some information threads/instructions for the forum. In fact, I have some notes started. Your questions give me a good excuse to get on with the task. However, it will take a bit of time. [Edited to add: You might not need all the following suggestions, but another new member might.]

Other members will be helpful - for example, above, the explanations about the bold thread names where there are posts that you haven't read. (Somewhat like unread emails on your computer or phone.)

The way that I find most convenient for using the forum on a daily basis is the following:
  1. Go to What's new in the blue band at the top of your screen.
  2. On the dropdown menu (using the little triangle beside "new') select New posts
  3. Once that page loads, make it a favourite or bookmark it using whatever way your browser provides.
Then in future, whenever I get on the computer and want to read the forum, I simply click on that bookmark/favourite. I am taken to a list of all the threads that have posts that are new since my last visit. They are listed from newest to oldest (time of the new post, not of the original thread).

Now, as for a new member who has thousands of unread posts, they are probably looking for specific information, or perhaps even general experiences. For this,
  • You can browse through the forums and sub-forums listed on the Home page. This can also be a bit daunting, but I think some improvements are gradually underway.
  • Look at the tags (Popular Camino Topics) on the Home page. Click on one of them to go to a collection of threads on that topic.
  • Use the Search function in the upper right. Again, this is not the most brilliant search function in the world, but it helps. I will leave further instructions on how to use the Search function more effectively, to a future post.
Searching and knowing where to look can be hard for newcomers. Feel free to post a question on a new thread, or even here on this thread, and we will direct you to further information.

It is useful to be familiar with the private message function - this forum software calls them Conversations. I will send one to you, and you should see an alert notice by the envelope icon in the upper right of your screen. That is a private message. If you reply to that, I'll know you have mastered that function!
I was wondering what computer you use? I have an Mac and the screen looks different. I always see the difference when I look at an Apple app and an Android App The instructions, I assume would be just a little different as there is no drop down menu but all options appear in the overhead bars. Just wondering and I hope you can see my screenshot. If I am incorrect please do not hesitate to correct me as my tech abilities are incredibly limited.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 10.02.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 10.02.27 AM.png
    648.5 KB · Views: 16
Mainly a PC.

Thanks for your advice everyone. It's not the end of the world, just one of things to drive you further mad during lockdown. :)

PS I am a tech guy and believe me things never work the way you want.

I was wondering what computer you use?...The instructions, I assume would be just a little different as there is no drop down menu but all options appear in the overhead bars.
My PC computer screen looks just like yours. The "dropdowns" I was referring to were those that appear when you click on the tiny triangle beside the words in the overhead bar. For example, just to the right of "What's new" on your screenshot.

I wouldn't attempt to give instructions for phone use. I find it much harder to use the many features of the forum on my phone.

My PC computer screen looks just like yours. The "dropdowns" I was referring to were those that appear when you click on the tiny triangle beside the words in the overhead bar. For example, just to the right of "What's new" on your screenshot.

I wouldn't attempt to give instructions for phone use. I find it much harder to use the many features of the forum on my phone.
Thanks and I agree everything is harder on our phones. I am sure that this is a direct correlation of age. I am sure my kids who are 25 and 29 could split the atom using their iPhones.

I only use my phone for everything...probably why I don't use too many of the forum's features, in addition to not being inclined towards, nor particularly interested in techy things.

Mainly a PC.

Thanks for your advice everyone. It's not the end of the world, just one of things to drive you further mad during lockdown. :)

PS I am a tech guy and believe me things never work the way you want.
My ex wife (whoI am still friends with) who spent her life in tech always said very little good ever comes with an update!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I only use my phone for everything...probably why I don't use too many of the forum's features, in addition to not being inclined towards, nor particularly interested in techy things.
I agree Chrissy. I virtually use none of the forum features except maybe the search engine. I just enjoy reading what everyone writes, advice to see if I agree or disagree, gear suggestions that I hardly ever follow as I tend to use my gear until it falls off my back. I think my favorite thing to do is just to read about Camino pathways that I dream of walking one day. In the fall after my vaccine I will walk the VDLP. I am reading everything I can about it. Watching videos and even deciding if I should stay an extra day in Sevilla to enjoy its beauty.

I am struggling with my Profile. How do you list your Caminos so they appear under your photo?

It is not Custom Title - that replaces Donating / New Member etc.
It is not Signature - that appears at the bottom of your posts.
It is not Past / Present Caminos - I think that is numeric digits only listing the year.
It is not Banner - that appears to be a some sort of photo.

Ideas?

Bill, speaking as a Moderator we encourage people to list their Caminos in their signature as you appear to have done. Listing under your Avatar can use up a lot of board space and make pages difficult to scroll for 'phone users in particular.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I only use my phone for everything
Then you are more skilled at phone usage than some of us!
I virtually use none of the forum features except maybe the search engine. I just enjoy reading what everyone writes,
I think that is what most of us do, most of the time. There isn't much more to do - there some detailed settings that sometimes we muddle into, and some variations in the Advanced search that can be helpful, but I haven't figured that all out yet.

It is a misimpression if you think that the majority of people have some advanced tech skills!

Sorry for my over-reaction, but it is a pet peeve of mine when everyone competes to be the least tech-inclined. We are all constantly learning, and it is a challenge for all. Younger people just accept that challenge and get on with figuring it out. The older people are intimidated and embarrassed and feel the need to apologize. It is FINE to not know how an app or update works. Just ask, and someone who has more experience (not talent, necessarily) will try to help. They all have been through the puzzlement. 😀

Among the plethora of useful tools in my workshop is a Ball-peen hammer. I did smile when watching my incredibly tech-savvy, programmer, nephew trying to drive fence nails with the peen.

Tech companies like to convince us that "new" is better. The young like to convince that they "know" better. Meanwhile I just use the tools available to meet my needs ;)

The field for past and future caminos was recently changed by Ivar to accept only a year. Maybe indicate your next planned year. I think this was done to prove that you are not a robot, to reduce new spam members. So, new members can't add anything, but old members retain what was already there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Among the plethora of useful tools in my workshop is a Ball-peen hammer. I did smile when watching my incredibly tech-savvy, programmer, nephew trying to drive fence nails with the peen.

Tech companies like to convince us that "new" is better. The young like to convince that they "know" better. Meanwhile I just use the tools available to meet my needs ;)
@Tincatinker, you never fail to make me chuckle on most any topic you happen to add your opinion on...just sayin'. 🙂

Then you are more skilled at phone usage than some of us!

I think that is what most of us do, most of the time. There isn't much more to do - there some detailed settings that sometimes we muddle into, and some variations in the Advanced search that can be helpful, but I haven't figured that all out yet.

It is a misimpression if you think that the majority of people have some advanced tech skills!

Sorry for my over-reaction, but it is a pet peeve of mine when everyone competes to be the least tech-inclined. We are all constantly learning, and it is a challenge for all. Younger people just accept that challenge and get on with figuring it out. The older people are intimidated and embarrassed and feel the need to apologize. It is FINE to not know how an app or update works. Just ask, and someone who has more experience (not talent, necessarily) will try to help. They all have been through the puzzlement. 😀
I don’t think you overreacted at all. For my purposes the search engine works great. When I am discovering things about a new routee I read everything if I can because it is fun and I often find good stuff on threads I may not be interested in but there are always tangents in threads.
I think that young people (not talking about engineering folks) don’t even really find apps and phones and tech in general challenging. I think they weee born with these tools and it all comes naturally. When Smart Phones came out my company sent us all the first Samsung Galaxy. We had an email that was about 40 pages with instructions to set up the phone for apps, intranet etc. My youngest came home excited with her friends to play with the phone. I said I needed to call tech support because all I could do was charge it. She said she would do it. She came out a minute later asked for my username and company email password. They took the phone and instructions. An hour later I went in her room and they were playing some game on the prone. There was just 2 pages of instructions near her. They were the table of contents. I was so mad that she hadn’t done anything. She laughed and said everything was done in 15 minutes. Would of been quicker but they had to download a few things. She said all that’s left is to walk me through set ups to see my preferences. They had been playing games for 45 minutes. She was about 11 at the time.

When Smart Phones came out my company sent us all the first Samsung Galaxy. We had an email that was about 40 pages with instructions to set up the phone for apps, intranet etc. My youngest came home excited with her friends to play with the phone. I said I needed to call tech support because all I could do was charge it. She said she would do it. She came out a minute later asked for my username and company email password. They took the phone and instructions. An hour later I went in her room and they were playing some game on the prone. There was just 2 pages of instructions near her. They were the table of contents. I was so mad that she hadn’t done anything. She laughed and said everything was done in 15 minutes. Would of been quicker but they had to download a few things. She said all that’s left is to walk me through set ups to see my preferences. They had been playing games for 45 minutes. She was about 11 at the time.
Hilarious story! I had a really good laugh as I totally relate.😅

For my purposes the search engine works great.
When the forum's search engine fails I fall back to Google. Insert the following into the search terms you want to use there: site:caminodesantiago.me

Unlike the forum's search though this brings you to the webpage with the tread and not to the post within the thread.

When the forum's search engine fails I fall back to Google. Insert the following into the search terms you want to use there: site:caminodesantiago.me

Unlike the forum's search though this brings you to the webpage with the tread and not to the post within the thread.
Thanks I have never done that but I will it is a great tool. I have typed in general camino searches and often see links to our forum and the associated thread.
Bill, speaking as a Moderator we encourage people to list their Caminos in their signature as you appear to have done. Listing under your Avatar can use up a lot of board space and make pages difficult to scroll for 'phone users in particular.
Now how do you do that????:):):););)

€149,-
Here is something new I've discovered. When I was trying to answer questions about signatures and account details, etc., above, I saw a reference to "Profile Banner" which I hadn't noticed before, but I wasn't able to spend more time to look into it. Then, later, when my mouse happened to pass over @wayfarer 's name on a thread, I saw an unusual additional photo. Aaha! that must be a profile banner! So I got one too. Pause your mouse over my icon, and look.

Here is something new I've discovered. When I was trying to answer questions about signatures and account details, etc., above, I saw a reference to "Profile Banner" which I hadn't noticed before, but I wasn't able to spend more time to look into it. Then, later, when my mouse happened to pass over @wayfarer 's name on a thread, I saw an unusual additional photo. Aaha! that must be a profile banner! So I got one too. Pause your mouse over my icon, and look.
Thanks! I just uploaded a banner too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am a bit confused. Is this option only available to see on a computer? Not seeing anything by pausing my finger on the icon/avatar.

I am a bit confused. Is this option only available to see on a computer? Not seeing anything by pausing my finger on the icon/avatar.
This banner thing is new to me. I just read about it here. I played around though and found out that on a phone you click on the poster's name next to avatar instead. I don't know how to assign a banner though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This banner thing is new to me. I just read about it here. I played around though and found out that on a phone you click on the poster's name next to avatar instead. I don't know how to assign a banner though.
Hmmm, I have an android phone and click on members' names occasionally, but have never noticed an additional picture.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just noticed this today and assumed that was the reason. Although the current listings under the avatar have not been deleted, so until/unless members want to add a new camino and are forced to shift everything to their signature, the space issue won't be fully solved.

Re: the point about phone users, I don't see either the listings under the avatar or signatures when using the forum on my phone (Safari on iPhone). I'm not sure about different phones/browsers, but this is how a post displays on mobile for me:

IMG_1991.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, I have an android phone and click on members' names occasionally, but have never noticed an additional picture.
There's only an additional picture if that member has uploaded one.
This is what mine looks like.
Screenshot_20201220-081123_Firefox_copy_418x334.jpg

If you want to add one to your profile go to your account. Then "account details"

Screenshot_20201220-081342_Firefox_copy_418x642.jpg

Then scroll down to "profile banner" under "avatar." You can upload a picture there.

20201220_081236_copy_418x548.jpg
I was able to do this on my computer and on my Android phone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.