• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can we do some Pillow talk?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
It would be fair to say that I am very particular when it comes to pillows. I think I'm fussy when it comes to beds but I've accepted that for 6-7 weeks I'll be tired enough not to care but... pillows... that's different.

Has anyone travelled with a pillow? I'm not sure a blow up pillow will be that comfy? Anyone else have any recommendations? I'm hoping for a soft and lovely travel pillow that weighs just a few grams... does it exist?

many thanks in advance!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is about as close as they come . . . http://www.cocoon.at/eng/show.php?doc=frameset&page=cocoon_ckat2&kat=7&prod=55

I use the hyperlight at 78 grams (including stuff sack) and was quite pleased. Cocoon seems to have a European presence, but not sure just how ubiquitous they are there. If you can get one, the usual rules apply of trying before you take it so you don't get (unpleasantly) surprised after it's too late to remedy without further rolling the dice.

Koilofe - many thanks for the reply. I'd seen the cocoon site but wasn't sure how they'd be... good to get a thumbs up for one!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Air pillows are, well, air pillows. The lighter they are, the more they feel like air pillows. BUT, having said that, Cocoon seems to do it fairly well.

Slumberjack makes little lightweight, compactable pillows that get the job done. I have carried one for years, and only a month ago left it behind in a hotel in Toledo, Ohio! :(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have the Cocoon pillow and the Exped ultra light pillow. Both have a tendency to sound a bit like an empty potato chip bag. I opted for the Exped inside a pillowcase because it was easier on my ears, lighter, and didn't tend to roll my head off. I think the key is to under-inflate them. Like shoes, packs, and just about everything else, it comes down to personal choice.

Pillows in the auberges are HUGE . . . I took a pillowcase, but should have brought two as there was always a 1/4 sticking out on one side . . .
I'm picky with pillows too, but honestly, once you get to the bunk bed, you'll be so tired, you will not really care . . .
Buen Camino !

I agree, most pillows I got were huge and thick which are not great for sleeping on your stomach (to avoid snoring!). The few times that they were too thick to allow an easy sleep, I just used clothing rolled up inside my pillowcase. I was much more particular about the pillowcase than pillow though. I used a sarong which doubled as a personal changing room for privacy, a covering to walk back and forth to the shower and a cover over personal things on my bunk. It was also treated with permitherin for bedbugs. I felt much more comfortable using that each night as I was certain that I was the only person who ever drooled all over it while sleeping. :p Finally, most times I was too tired to care about the pillow. I would never use a blow up pillow again. I tried that on our boat and hated it. If anything, I would take a foam Thermarest neck brace that is light and squishable. It is infinitely more comfortable than an air pillow, IMHO but I doubt I would carry that on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I going mid Sept to Mid Oct and bringing my light down jacket which will double as a pillow when stuffed in my pillowcase. It also packs well.

Granny Goose make great travel pillows, but are based in South Africa. Great for pilgrims from there, but I am not sure if they can be posted worldwide.
We love ours and they roll into their own stuff bag. The website gives details about how to contact them if you are not SA based. (When we bought ours they had a UK base too.)

I carried a light weight small blow up pillow. I need a pillow between my knees to protect my back and it helped on the air flights.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having done the CF twice now, I recommend an inflatable pillow, like those made by Cocoon for several reasons:

1. The pillow can be used on the flight over for sleeping on the plane or as a lower back seat bolster. You can vary the inflation pressure to suit. As you increase altitude, air expands and the pillow becomes harder. Let air out to suit. I find this very helpful as I like to sleep on overnight flights and usually request a window seat.

2. Along The Way, your inflatable pillow is infinitely more sanitary than any pillow provided by an albergue, with or without a pillowcase. I usually used the pillows provided in albergues to prop my feet and ankles up...after bathing and donning clean socks of course.

3. Most of these inflatable pillows come with a smooth side and a "suede-like" side. I recommend sleeping with the silky / smooth side DOWN and placing one's head on the textured side. This eliminates the crinkly noise referred to above.

4. I blow the pillow up usually with four good lungs full of air. This brings the pillow to a very hard state. Then I simply let air out to suit my sleeping preference - which changes depending on how tired I am, if I have sinus congestion, etc.

5. I found that storing the pillow was very easy. Open the air valve, to allow air to escape. Then simply sit on the pillow to get ALL the air out. Once all the air is out, close the valve to keep the pillow very small. I usually folded the pillow in quarters daily and used it on the very top of my rucksack to protect the rucksack contents. The pillow is waterproof.

6. Finally, when the pillow is in the "travel condition" described in #5, it can be safety machine washed in a cold, gentle cycle. Remove from the washer, snap it out once or twice to remove excess water and to distribute the air bladder to the four corners, then hang on a line to dry. It should dry in an hour or so depending on local conditions.

7. I use the small stuff sack that comes with the pillow to hold small valuables inside my sleeping bag, around my wrist, or wherever. This way, I know where everything is.

I hope this helps.

My pillow, where they were not supplied, was a bit basic. I reverted to my '70s hostel security system and rolled up my pants around my wallet, passport and phone and put this into the pillow case of my sleeping bag liner and used that.
Not very comfy but then I am a man and we don't do comfy. :rolleyes: :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I carried a light weight small blow up pillow. I need a pillow between my knees to protect my back and it helped on the air flights.
Likewise. I do the same for my knees. I cover it in 2 pillowcases and use the first one to cover a hotel pillow if need be.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm going to have to work on suppressing my feminine side. :):)
Don't do it wayfarer. A lot of women like "gentle" men :rolleyes:- not that we girls are always gentle...;)
Your beta male gives so much good info and advice on the forum.

I've tried various camping pillows but find that my fleecy wrapped in the pillowcase part of my silk sleeping bag liner works as well as anything (one advantage of cool weather clothes I guess)

From a beta male! Go to a JoAnn's Fabrics store or BB and Beyond, or wherever, buy the smallest (they're all too big) pillow and then take 2/3 of the stuffing out. I got mine down to 2.7 oz. and it stuffed easily in the pack. Believe it or not when I got picky about weight I actually threw it out! But it worked.

From a beta male! Go to a JoAnn's Fabrics store or BB and Beyond, or wherever, buy the smallest (they're all too big) pillow and then take 2/3 of the stuffing out. I got mine down to 2.7 oz. and it stuffed easily in the pack. Believe it or not when I got picky about weight I actually threw it out! But it worked.
See what I mean about those beta males - always helpful!;) Not to take anything away from the alpha guys and gals.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I mostly found pillows in albergues. But as I had packed my clothes in cloth bags (non-rustling mind you!) I would often use these on top of the pillow - a towel or another personal cloth item could also do the trick. - I am not overly fussy but I would prefer to lean my sleepy head on a known item. I would not bother to take a pillow along, but this is of course your own choice.

annelise

I picked up a light,small down pillow at my local MEC (Canada) . . . 200 grams, in a small sack - squishable and very comfortable! Rolled up into my hostel bag, and was enough in places without pillows - and supported my injured knee when needed!!

Many have said it in other posts about other topics but here goes. Anything that has only a single purpose is a waste of weight and space. I use my down sweater (it's really a very light jacket) for a pillow. I simply stuff the jacket into it's own sleeve and voila a comfy pillow.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My favourite is a Thermarest squashable pillow. I have a small and a medium for different travel requirements. I bought a Cocoon Down one once, but sent it back, as it was too flat for sleeping (not enough down). The Thermarest one is made from the bits they cut out of the filling in their sleeping mats. It squashes down fairly small, but puffs up quite fluffy :). I sort of looks 'lumpy', but don't let that put you off - it's very comfortable to sleep on. I spend most of my life travelling for a living, so sleep comfortably most nights on this pillow (I generally don't like hotel pillows). My small one weighs 200g & my medium size weighs 275g. The medium is more comfortable as it puffs up larger.

Many thanks everyone - Bungkus, I tried the Thermarest in Bordeaux this week and it felt wonderful... very squidgy. It seems the exact kind of feel I need so I'm going to order one from the UK... it was 50€ in the shope!! I've seen them for £20 online... and luckily I have a friend driving down in a few weeks so I can order what I need.

Many thanks again folks for all the excellent suggestions! you are the font of all knowledge! :D :D

Half way through my Camino and I use my blow up Summit pillow every night. Wouldn’t want to be without it. Amazing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Perfect pillow at 140 gram, cost me fiver and was used on plane, trains and buses. A headrest on the grass when inside it's bag. Extra cushion on picnic blanket to sit on and lethal weapon during pillow fight. The bag was used to store valuables inside and placed at bottom of sleeping bag liner. No blowing required and better than any pillows I slept in luxury hotels as perfect height for restful sleep without risk of creak in neck. When not in use it was attached to the carabiner on my pack along with my silk liner and anti bed bug sheet...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000OQACG2/?tag=casaivar-21

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.