• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can we talk TOWELS please?

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
I found this towel recommended on the forum and like it for its weigh (100g) and size - decent bath towel size

Any other recommendations? Need to purchase in Australia and need to purchase four towels.

Walking in winter so every gram and bulk size counts!

Thanks

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Is it a factor for you, how multi purpose each item you carry is? On my first Camino, I used my towel as...a towel and, a blanket. That said, I won't be bringing mine next time but will instead, bring sarongs, wrap type things that are lighter weight and for me, have many more purposes. Blankets, bunk curtains, head wraps and a plethora of other things. Just a thought.
Buen Camino!

If you are handy with a sewing machine, double muslin fabric makes for a lightweight, absorbant, and quick drying towel/scarf. Cut to size & run a stitch line around the perimeter to block fraying.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found this towel recommended on the forum and like it for its weigh (100g) and size - decent bath towel size

Any other recommendations? Need to purchase in Australia and need to purchase four towels.

Thanks
This is the towel that I have, and I think that it's great. The fabric is different than many of the other microfiber towels. If you get one wash and dry it several times before you use it to soften it up.

Thanks trecile - I think you put me on to them in the first place! Do you have the 'body' size?

If you are handy with a sewing machine, double muslin fabric makes for a lightweight, absorbant, and quick drying towel/scarf. Cut to size & run a stitch line around the perimeter to block fraying.

Northernlight - genius! You wouldn't believe, I came across a stash of the boys baby items and there were a stack of large square rectangular muslin cloths. I will have a look and give them a bit of a test....

Thanks

Seems like they are available in Australia here: (just ordered one)

Though specs seem wrong! (weight) WRONG. Not the ultralite..........

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Robo - have you received it yet? Would be interested in your thoughts - geez, not cheap are they when you pit it in AUD. Maybe there will be a sale next month for EOFY :)

I don’t like microfibre towels so use a face cloth. Proper towel material but tiny (about 20x20cm) therefore not too heavy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don’t like microfibre towels so use a face cloth. Proper towel material but tiny (about 20x20cm) therefore not too heavy.
The Packtowl cloth is different than other microfiber cloth. It isn't "grabby", if that makes sense.
Thanks trecile - I think you put me on to them in the first place! Do you have the 'body' size?
I actually bought the "beach" size on sale and trimmed it down to a body size. I use a scrap to wrap my bar shampoo to keep it dry.

Seems like they are available in Australia here: (just ordered one)

Though specs seem wrong! (weight)
The Amazon link is not the Ultralite towel.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Packtowl cloth is different than other microfiber cloth. It isn't "grabby", if that makes sense.

Oh yes, yes it looks great. I’m just throwing in another (cheap) option.

One of most important items after obvious footwear and bag. Multiuse is key and due to the amount of showers required had to be decent size, lightweight, quick drying and cost effective. I attached my trusty Turkish towel to the carry loop on my pack, easy access when drying hands after using many public toilets that had no drying facilities. Doubles as a picnic blanket suitable for two. Sarong, head scarf, privacy screen in bunk, hammock to carry clothes to and from washing machine and oversheet at night and to help keep bag off the floor tied in loop and hung from bedpost although over time may cause damage to fabric. It's widely available, colourful and gets better with age 😊

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Note: it is a full size towel. I use a smaller microfibre lowel and love it. Only issue was when it went missing after using laundry machines in an albergue!! Only time *I didn't hand wash my clothes. Then as I was walking though small towns couldn't find a replacement till Burgos or was it Leon??!! Had to use my spare t-shirt - Bother!

I lost my towel in Burgos. I bought a scarf and I have used it as my towel, my neck warmer and shawl. It’s probably 100% poly. It doesn’t say what the material may be. I would not take a towel as such but I would take a scarf. I’m half way through my Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Two pilgrims will have three opinions about towels. I have observed that there are three schools of thought.

1. Folks who want to highest tech, tiniest towel they can source. Very often this results in something that is about the size of a hand towel or tea towel, the size you might use to dry the kitchen dishes or hang in a quest bathroom for drying hands. This will do the job, and dries quickly, but can be used for little else, due to the very small size.

2. Folks who swear by some sort of natural fiber or another in a wispy, fly weight fabric. Sarongs and scarves are along the basic shape concepts in this group. This is great for protecting one's private parts in a semi-public albergue situation, but the ability to dry natural fibers is open for discussion.

3, Folks, like me, who analyze everything to determine which solution provides multiple uses at the minimum size and weight, while still being fast to dry, easy to launder, etc. Each person arrives at THEIR preferred solution according to their needs and willingness to deal with trade offs.

Just for discussion, I use a standard sized YOGA Towel, by Gaiam. I obtained the one without the grippy dots. The normal use for this is to place atop one's yoga mat while doing yoga.

This towel is bright orange with pink piping around the edges. It was the orange color that attracted me. Here is my logic for trading off size and weight in return for this towels advantage of other types of hiking towels.

1. The towel when folded, fits in a one-gallon (three liter) ziplock bag. I sit on it to compress it to a very thin size. This rides in the bottom of my 38-liter Osprey rucksack. I can access the towel via the sleeping bag compartment zipper.

2. The towel is large enough to cover my priodigious self. I am a big guy and needed the length to wrap around my private bits. It is large enough to use as a blanket / shawl throw / cover on a chilly night.

3. The towel is terry cloth woven so it is outstanding at absorbing water.

4. The bright orange color makes it easy to locate in dim light, and it can be used for signalling in an emergency.

4. The fabric is microfiber, so it drys very fast.

My performance criteria were that any towel must:
  • Cover me when coming to and from a shower.
  • Be able to wrap, roll and stomp hand-washed clothing AFTER it dries me.
  • Be usable as a cover or throw.
  • Be quick-drying
  • Have other uses, as determined by the exigencies of the moment.
So, in the end, and after several years of trying all the technical solutions out there, I traded off weight and size for über practicality, and went with the yoga towel.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
3, Folks, like me, who analyze everything to determine which solution provides multiple uses at the minimum size and weight, while still being fast to dry, easy to launder, etc. Each person arrives at THEIR preferred solution according to their needs and willingness to deal with trade offs.

At 975 grams its a weighty and pricey trade-off 😉

I am still mystified why 4 towels have to bought; is that for 4 people or just to stock up for another good time !??
I am not particularly happy about the microfibre stuff but I bring one small towel ond one tea towel size one for head or for the back of my neck in low sun...and must admit that they dry out pretty fast.
When washing socks and spinning cannot be had, I roll the socks up in the larger towel and sqeeze out the water into the towel by standiong on ot, here the suction of the fabric is superb...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks
If the towel is light and the price is right then one might grab a few for an Australian winter's night. Enjoy your walk. ➡️

Two pilgrims will have three opinions about towels. I have observed that there are three schools of thought.

I would add to your list:

4. Folks who go with what they have

5. Most mainland Europeans who pick up all their gear in Decathlon!

The few times I've stayed in an albergue almost everyone has been Spanish and almost everyone had some kind of Decathlon XL microfibre towel slung over their bunk. In general, I think our mainland European brothers and sisters are a little less gear/weight obsessed than most on this forum :)

Decathlon is now in the US. Go to www.decathlon.com. The ridiculous low prices are very similar in USD. While they only have one brick and mortar store in San Francisco, you can order online. I am waiting for my first order to arrive on Monday.

Hope this helps.
At 975 grams its a weighty and pricey trade-off 😉

Sure, you skinny guys can talk! I wish...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The few times I've stayed in an albergue almost everyone has been Spanish and almost everyone had some kind of Decathlon XL microfibre towel slung over their bunk. In general, I think our mainland European brothers and sisters are a little less gear/weight obsessed than most on this forum :)

I'm surprised and interesting perspective. I can't recollect meeting many Spanish in Municipal Alburgure or private. My experience was Scandanavian, German, French, Israeli, Italian, North and South American, Korean and UK & Ireland. I certainly didn't pay attention to other people's gear and our particular obsession with gear might only be applicable to people on this forum as it dominates a lot of the discussion. Maybe the requirement to fly no frills with its various baggage restrictions focuses our attention more. The variety of choice in shops and online and argueably higher disposable income opens up more choice therefore with more options comes more analysis of features and benefits that leads to perception of value for money. I choose every element of my gear thanks to the invaluable advice I read on this forum before embarking on my three Caminos I walked within four months. The peace of mind that came from being well prepared permitted more focus and resulted in a more enlightening journey. I helped enlighten some of our European friends on my way who either hadn't prepared, ie providing compeed, barrier protection cream and helping to adjust straps and ergonomics of their backpack. Preparation is key to opportunity coming along which other people perceive as luck 🍀

Last edited:
Decathlon is now in the US. Go to www.decathlon.com. The ridiculous low prices are very similar in USD. While they only have one brick and mortar store in San Francisco, you can order online. I am waiting for my first order to arrive on Monday.

Hope this helps.

Sure, you skinny guys can talk! I wish...
I could be wrong but was referring to weight of towel you use, that's equivalent to 1/6 of the weight of my entire pack 😊

Ashamedly (on budget)I bought all my gear on Amazon, although did visit my nearest Decathlon store in Belfast to test run trail shoes. They had quite a useful test area that tried to recreate the cobblestone with little wooden bridge that I enjoyed walking over in full view of passing bewildered shoppers.

Last edited:
1. Folks who want to highest tech, tiniest towel they can source. Very often this results in something that is about the size of a hand towel or tea towel, the size you might use to dry the kitchen dishes or hang in a quest bathroom for drying hands. This will do the job, and dries quickly, but can be used for little else.
I resemble this remark. I have always walked with two 'towels', starting with two microfibre dish clothes about 30 cm square. One is used to wash and for the initial dry, the other for a final polish! The second won't get very wet, and except in very damp conditions, both will dry overnight. I have traded these out over the years, but still use the same basic pattern. Towel #1 (wash and initial dry) is a thicker looped microfibre face washer, about 30cm square. Towel #2 (final polish!) is a flat microfibre towel about 40 cm square. Both have hanging loops. In a couple of ziplock snack bags, the all up weight is about 70 gm.

My wife carried a larger lightweight towel, similar to the microfibre towels already dicsussed, when she walked the CF with me a couple of years ago. She was more concerned about having a towel that could dry her hair, something that isn't that much of a concern for me any longer.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Has anyone else come across/used an Indian towel? Lightweight cotton/ muslin, just under 100g according to my kitchen scales- I haven't got a tape measure but guess about 120 x50cm. Useful for long hair and travel

I've also wondered about trying a linen waffle towel that could double as a sarong/shawl, but it might weigh too much /take too long to dry (though I do remember coming across a lovely linen shop in Biarritz some years ago)

I dislike microfibre, as I can never get anything dry with it. As NorthernLight mentioned above, a length of muslin, (which I think Americans know as cheesecloth) makes a good towel and is extremely light. For a couple of dollars I bought roughly about a two metre length which weighed 74gms (2.6oz) and just hemmed the ends, which could be hand done if you don't have a sewing machine. I found it worked quite well, and dried very quickly on the side of the bunk.

Ok, so re the opening question: the technical towel I got in 2006 was pretty useless. Next I took any old towel that was thin and could scrunch up fairly small. Yesterday I got a bee in my bonnet and scouted around for muslin. A most interesting adventure. Got a piece of a rather nasty green colour. Just now I remembered that I have 2 ancient white cotton huckaback towels I used to use ... i will give them a shine up and see how they compare to the muslin. I will test drive both and if the thread is still visible when I have done that, will let you know!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am still mystified why 4 towels have to bought; is that for 4 people or just to stock up for another good time !??
yes, 4 people, we are walking as a family :)

thanks everyone for the replies - a bit to think about. I really dislike the feel of regular microfiber so I like that this is a different textural feel.

As to multiple uses, probably not. We are walking in the heart of winter so privacy not so much of an issue, besides, while the children might like a bit of privacy, I want to be able to see them at all times, so no screening for me. Probably no good as a picnic rug either on the snow or very cold ground, and I will have a thick beenie on my head! Dont mean to sound negative, I think its really good to have items with multiple uses, but it wouldn't apply - er... to the next camino anyway :)

I could be wrong but was referring to weight of towel you use, that's equivalent to 1/6 of the weight of my entire pack 😊

Ashamedly (on budget)I bought all my gear on Amazon, although did visit my nearest Decathlon store in Belfast to test run trail shoes. They had quite a useful test area that tried to recreate the cobblestone with little wooden bridge that I enjoyed walking over in full view of passing bewildered shoppers.

I just checked the weight of my Gaiam Yoga towel. It weighs 269 grams or 9.5 ounces, slightly more than one-half a pound. Just sayin...

My rucksack, all in, never weighs less than 11-12 Kg. This is a combination of the relatively larger size and weight of my clothing, the medically mandatory powdered protein supplements I must use in my diet, as well as the many and varied supplements and medications take daily.

Even if I ship a two-week supply, down the road to a post office or reserved lodging to await my passing through, the weekly penalty is still slightly over one kg, just for the protein and medical supplements. So, when I replenish every two weeks, I am back up to the 11-12 Kg point. I accept this as a fact of life.

Nonetheless, this does not stop me from continually looking for viable ways to reduce evergt gram, consistent with my personal style of walking Camino.

Hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190526-134947.png
    Screenshot_20190526-134947.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 3
This is the exact towel have...

Hope this helps.

This is the exact towel have...

Hope this helps.
It looks and sounds good, thank you for sharing. It's on my wishlist but will be interesting to compare to my trusty Turkish towel which I would recommend 😊Screenshot_20190526-140250.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is the towel that I have, and I think that it's great. The fabric is different than many of the other microfiber towels. If you get one wash and dry it several times before you use it to soften it up.

this is my towel of choice and has unexpected usages as outlined by other posters :) One thing I did discover and that is because I sweat buckets I tend to have to swim out of my bed in the morning:) I found that by simply putting towel on top of bottom sheet It absorbed sweat, left me dry and carried on being a towel as well! wasn't too sure about the sarong business tho!

Yours aye

The malingerer

One of most important items after obvious footwear and bag. Multiuse is key and due to the amount of showers required had to be decent size, lightweight, quick drying and cost effective. I attached my trusty Turkish towel to the carry loop on my pack, easy access when drying hands after using many public toilets that had no drying facilities. Doubles as a picnic blanket suitable for two. Sarong, head scarf, privacy screen in bunk, hammock to carry clothes to and from washing machine and oversheet at night and to help keep bag off the floor tied in loop and hung from bedpost although over time may cause damage to fabric. It's widely available, colourful and gets better with age 😊
Love these but they're MUCH cheaper elsewhere like eBay

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Love these but they're MUCH cheaper elsewhere like eBay
I'm not a fan of eBay, too many fakes, frauds and don't like paying for postage unless the price of getting item from A to B is hidden 😊 I paid £11.95 for mine with free delivery to Norn Island, just over price of Pilgrim meal, if went for pink coral could've got it for a tenner, days worth of cafe con leches 😋

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not a fan of eBay, too many fakes, frauds and don't like paying for postage unless the price of getting item from A to B is hidden 😊 I paid £11.95 for mine with free delivery to Norn Island, just over price of Pilgrim meal, if went for pink coral could've got it for a tenner, days worth of cafe con leches 😋
Sadly the OP lives in Australia :( but, hey - £9.80 inc postage (though I think they have to pay import duties?)

@Derrybiketours

I love my hammam towel, but it weighs just over 300gr 😕

and ... although I have that Packtowel on my wishlist, I really don’t like microfibre towels ...

but @trecile does say that it has a different surface, from eg the Paramo ...
As usual you can't fault the lady from Oregon for sound advice - 2nd generation microfibres have more of a "loopy" surface you can actually rub with as opposed to the older ones you blotted your body with and usually developed an odd smell in a short matter of time (the towel, not your body).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sadly the OP lives in Australia :( but, hey - £9.80 inc postage (though I think they have to pay import duties?)
I lived in SA and wouldn't be too sad for op as there bathed in glorious sunshine, more than not and everythings more expensive downunder but it's relative to higher earning potential and I don't look at price, value for money is more important, in my humble opinion. In original post I did provide link for Amazon downunder 🙃

As usual you can't fault the lady from Oregon for sound advice - 2nd generation microfibres have more of a "loopy" surface you can actually rub with as opposed to the older ones you blotted your body with and usually developed an odd smell in a short matter of time (the towel, not your body).
Actually this Packtowl doesn't have a "loopy" surface, it's quite smooth, but doesn't have that "grabby" feeling of other microfiber towels. I think that it feels fine, but others might disagree. It was a bit stiff when I first got it, but washing softened it up.
My second choice of "towel" is a rayon sarong. Weighs about twice the Packtowl, but less than the Turkish towel that I bought, and looks much more chic when worn as a skirt or bathing suit cover up.
I brought one last year, but sadly left it in an albergue where I forgot that I had hung it up as a curtain on one side of my lower bunk. I had to stop by a Decathlon store, which was conveniently located about a block off the Camino in Bilbao to buy a new towel.

I like my Rallt pack towel. It is the soft, non-looped, microfiber kind. Every time I found an albergue with a washer and dryer I threw it in with my clothing with no problems. It never developed any odd smells either. ;)

Huckaback towel did a fine job this morning after the pool. so that will be an option, along with a face towel that is like a mitten. Will test the muslin tomorrow and then make my deciding comment!
My huckaback is plain white, nothing as fancy as the photo, but it shows an idea of the texture.Screenshot 2019-05-27 at 14.25.35.png

Huckaback towel did a fine job this morning after the pool. so that will be an option, along with a face towel that is like a mitten. Will test the muslin tomorrow and then make my deciding comment!
My huckaback is plain white, nothing as fancy as the photo, but it shows an idea of the texture.View attachment 58079

Here’s my huckaback:

5D27525D-279C-4E6B-8DA8-746DB7DAD522.jpeg

... which is actually the colour of straw, and is linen (and very creased 😉)

... and my hammam:

25BCED39-4D7E-4A5D-9F46-A6A5EFB03F0F.jpeg

How about a new media slot for towels? 🤔 (😉... seriously, 😉)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Huckaback wins. 100g, small but enough.

My research would indicate that this fabric is actually heavier the cotton and the 100 gram must be a loin cloth 😊

Per sqm it's less value for money and more coarse (not something you want when rubbing delicate skin with vigour) than a 💯%Turkish towel aka hammam and it's not as widely available. Walking the Camino involves sweat and sometimes tears, the luxury of a towel that you can wraparound after a well earned shower can not be underestimated plus has multiple uses. Hammam Wins, 274g, not as small but more (material) beautiful and half the price 🤠

Last edited:
Per sqm it's less value for money and more coarse (not something you want when rubbing delicate skin with vigour) than a 💯%Turkish towel aka hammam and it's not as widely available. Walking the Camino involves sweat and sometimes tears, the luxury of a towel that you can wraparound after a well earned shower can not be underestimated plus has multiple uses. Hammam Wins, 274g, not as small but more (material) beautiful and half the price 🤠
My huckaback is at at least 50 years old, so owes me nothing!

Comment noted but to objective onlooker I'm simply comparing your recommendation based on if someone was to purchase today and simple comparison that demonstrates why Hammam wins in my opinion at least based on my recent experience. In the ye olden days the huckaback was the future 😉 I'm impressed at the age of your towel, imagine if it could speak 🤔

Last edited:

I still have at least one (that I can lay my hands on) towelling nappy, and one or two muslin ones, that are at least 28 years old (possibly 40+). I thought of taking one, but ended up with a Paramo ... and an ultra-lightweight, very fine, cotton sarong, which, for some reason, I barely used. But it’s opaque, so might be useful for padding about before getting dressed ... in which case my tiny huckaback hand towel (as most huckabacks are) would probably be sufficient to actually get me dry. Incidentally, it measures 16.5” x 26” and weighs 100gr 😳 But it is incredibly absorbent 🙂

It looks and sounds good, thank you for sharing. It's on my wishlist but will be interesting to compare to my trusty Turkish towel which I would recommend 😊View attachment 58010

I bought my hammam/fouta/Turkish towels from a seller from Turkey on Etsy. Also three packs of dish towel sized of these types of towels are sold in Trader Joe's grocery stores in U.S. Just offering other non-Amazon options for anyone interested :)

Hated my Rick Steves micro-fiber towel on my 1st Camino. The feel of it and the need to dab yourself dry drove me nuts.
Went out and bought a 1m. length of cotton cloth that worked pretty well on my 2nd Camino.
Then found waffle-weave sauna towels and got one of those for the 3rd Camino. At 300 gr. it is a bit heavier than I would wish for, but it works really well and is large enough to wrap around myself. It dried quickly and being bright orange, wouldn't be taken by mistake by anyone.
In the US, found a sarong at a 2nd hand store and at a lighter weight, might take that instead on Camino #4. Haven't tried it out yet though as a towel, but it makes a nice scarf and cover-up.

What's a huckaback towel? Probably something we have in the US, but with a different name.
Not sure I have posted this here, but I use a small flannel baby towel. I love it, small, but absorbent. It was a recommendation by @Anniesantiago. I've picked several at charity stores for a mere $1 each.

What's a huckaback towel? Probably something we have in the US, but with a different name.
Not sure I have posted this here, but I use a small flannel baby towel. I love it, small, but absorbent. It was a recommendation by @Anniesantiago. I've picked several at charity stores for a mere $1 each.
I just ironed mine, and here is a closeup of the weave, and one of the towel, folded, and at the narrow end of the ironing board.
Screenshot 2019-06-06 at 10.49.59.png Screenshot 2019-06-06 at 10.49.43.png

€149,-
This morning I did not buy a very useful looking cotton baby blanket in Aldi. About the size of a good guest towel... I think it was €7.00. Cellular, that is the word I am looking for - with tiny little holes in the overall pattern.

My mother called it huck towels or huck toweling. We used to embroider it-- It's has a weave that makes it simple to thread embroidery floss and make pretty patterns. -- Come to think of it, we used it on camp-outs, as it dried quickly.

Can anyone explain why I just read this whole thread when I don’t know when my next camino will be and I always end up taking a double layer 1metre square muslin as it dries fast and is only 80g (which means I can afford weight wise to take watercolours and sketchbook)???

Can anyone explain why I just read this whole thread when I don’t know when my next camino will be and I always end up taking a double layer 1metre square muslin as it dries fast and is only 80g (which means I can afford weight wise to take watercolours and sketchbook)???
Because you don't have enough children to look after and you also stopped crocheting! 😂

Nothing pukka about mine, chinacat! It did pass the drying test though, so that prevented me from buying the one I saw in Aldi this morning...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Over the years I've tried various towels, from microfiber to cotton to terry to sarongs.
My favorite towel is an old, threadbare, lightweight terrycloth towel cut in half.
It dries ME without smearing around the water and it dries itself fast.
Annie, I still love and use the baby towels from resale shops you recommended a long time ago!

Brought a pack towel with me for the 1st half of Camino Frances, along with two microfibre cleaning cloths I got from the supermarket. Went to Caminoteka in Pamplona and spotted one a little larger than a cleaning cloth, purchased that and only used the pack towel as a bed screen after that. This time I left the pack towel behind and took my sarong instead. Those cleaning cloths are much more efficient than the pack towels and cheaper too. And the sarong worked better than a pack towel in the many sup-par showers one encounters along the Way, with many other functions besides.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well...just to throw my 5 cents into the fray
I recently came across this one:
Youphoria Outdoors Microfiber Travel Towel
3 sizes, The medium-sized towel (28" x 56") weighs 8oz

I am even contemplating the smaller one (20" x 40") so it should be even lighter (6oz?) and only $10.00
In the mesh bag it measures 3x3x8 inches.

I am even contemplating the smaller one (20" x 40") so it should be even lighter (6oz?) and only $10.00
The 25“ x 54“ body size Packtowl weighs less than half at only 3.4 ounces

My 5 cents says I totally dislike the majority of microfibre towels, especially the cheapest ones. In my experience they just push the water around on your body like a broom instead of absorbing it...just sayin'.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I guess I have to find a minority of majorfibre towel(s) then
Thanks @Camino Chrissy for raining on my broom.....wait.... :oops: ....

On a serious note, like it or not I probably will bring a couple of small wash-cloth size ones anyway. The ongoing joke in the CW Camps was that "I svet like a peeg" and I will be the 1st one to agree.

I got 2 years....may be by that time they will improve on something

Sorry to rain on your broom, but "that's just the facts, maam". You have time to decide and like you say, things will improve by 2021. You will know "everything" about the Camino after 2 years on this forum. That's how long I've been on and I'm a wealth of helpful knowledge.😲

can i call on you when you become a help of wealthy knowledge? :rolleyes:
well ah'z reckn thats the story of my broom all right. Gots to wait 2 years no matter what
Somehow methinks that I probably still worry a little more about the Crowds of Holy Year than the micro\mini\maxi towels but that would be a topic for a different thread
(p.S. please observe that I am using Eyetalics much more frequently now ;))

€149,-
can i call on you when you become a help of wealthy knowledge? :rolleyes:
well ah'z reckn thats the story of my broom all right. Gots to wait 2 years no matter what
Somehow methinks that I probably still worry a little more about the Crowds of Holy Year than the micro\mini\maxi towels but that would be a topic for a different thread
(p.S. please observe that I am using Eyetalics much more frequently now ;))
Sorry, Buffy, all my wealth goes into more caminos and any leftovers will go to me two sons.
I walked one camino in April/May 2017 when the new pope declared a special "Year of Mercy", similar I think to a Holy Year. It worked out anyway and I was a tad worried ahead of time. It's like they say "Worry is like a rocking chair going nowhere." I would have italicized the quote, but my android keyboard leaves alot to be desired. Peace.

I might just be tempted to take the bus (free travel) to a place in Dublin where they stock PAcktowl original. This was recommended to me by a very nice gentleman in an outdoor shop in Ilac Centre, Dublin. Made in Ireland. That would interest me. If I go on the bus, no Postage Charge! He said it is very much better than other brands, one of which I got in 2006 and really it was a waste of money. It is being rehomed this summer. I will go soon. I might even walk back from the place, as it is on the river path, and today I got my injection in my knee which I hope will allow me to dance all the way from Ferrol to Santiago! So what is there to stop me? Just Irish weather. Saying that: believe me, I am wishing for some our weak warmth for those of you currently roasting to death on your various caminos.
93A1D516-1669-4323-A6FF-332EE5F5A79C.jpeg

Kirkie, I will be in Dublin in 2 days time. Would love to buy them - added bonus I can buy them duty/tax free in addition to no postage lol. A big saving as I will buy 4. Do you know if they stock the ultra light version? Bonus points if the shop is nearer the top on/hop off bus stops ha ha!
Actually just googled the shop is not too far from where we are staying...
Bit of a heat wave her in the south! Better than the cold winter of Australia

€149,-
Kirkie, I will be in Dublin in 2 days time. Would love to buy them - added bonus I can buy them duty/tax free in addition to no postage lol. A big saving as I will buy 4. Do you know if they stock the ultra light version? Bonus points if the shop is nearer the top on/hop off bus stops ha ha!

Bit of a heat wave her in the south! Better than the cold winter of Australia
ok, here you go: I phoned them earlier. There is a local bus, 25A, Dublin Bus, which takes about 25 minutes then you walk for 1km. I suggest, if you have a good phone package, that you ring them.
I really cannot do it tomorrow, but I could do it on Saturday if you clarify with them via a phone call which one you want. I asked about Packtowl original, the large, not xl, because the recommendation was for that one, the original, and it is less than €20. Pm me if you want to take this further. If you do anonline click and collect, and give my details, they will give it to me, especially if I ring them after you have done the deed. Maybe they are closed now, so you would need to wait till 9am Dublin time, but you could give it a try. ass I say om me. I am out tomorrow morning till fairly late, but will check if you WhatsApp me. Details by pm.
Screenshot 2019-06-27 at 18.17.08.png
Screenshot 2019-06-27 at 18.12.16.png

I could phone them for you, in the morning, if you can tell me exactly what you want. then, as I said, via pm, we can take it further, or not, depending on your decision. I see you are where I wistfully intended to go 50 years ago before another plan unfolded for me that led me here, to Ireland! Safe trip, and I do hope we might meet up in the time you will be in the capital...

Hi Kirkie, you are very kind, thank you. I am after 4 x ultralight body size packtowls. I am unable to call as we can't make calls but we are staying a few blocks away and easy walking distance (easy distance has a whole new meaning when you have walked the distance of the camino!). Can you tell me the name of the shop - Google tells me there are 3 sports shops. Sorry can't work out how to pm you on my phone. Have spent the week in your beautiful country and finish up in Dublin for the w/e.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok, you are already in Dublin. I will send you a pm to avoid cluttering up the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you manage to open my pms to you? In case not, the original place is quite far out, canoeireland.ie. Then Basecamp, dublin 1, and Great
Outdoors, Dublin 2. They could be a bit more expensive but if you look at them you will know if you want to buy them. I will go the far one, but next week some time. Good luck and buen camino!

Sorry, I replied but forgot to press send! I will have a proper look in the morning to see what I can do. Thanks again

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.