• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can we walk from porto to Santiago only doing 10 to 15 km a day

Bezotz

My dad and I age 50 and 77 want to walk from porto to Santiago late august early September. We only want to walk 10 to 15 km a day. Is there enough villages along either the coastal route or inland route for this yo be possible?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there @Bezotz , and welcome to the Forum.

I think that you will manage to do 10 or 15km per day on the Portuguese, but it's kinda risky. Mostly because of the accomodation. On this link you can check na updated list of Albergues (both Public and Private) for the Caminho Poruguês: http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/

I think that with that list, you can manage to set of your planing.

Best Regars
Diogo

Having led a small group of not-so-able people on the Camino last year, I learnt that if you don't mind using the local taxis to shuttle you between villages and the path, you can walk any distance in spite of available accommodation. I planned a 5km to 8km walk, made a list of taxi services and booked places to stay for 2 or 3 nights so that we wouldn't have to cart luggage every day. It worked out just fine and the taxi's weren't that expensive.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My dad and I age 50 and 77 want to walk from porto to Santiago late august early September. We only want to walk 10 to 15 km a day. Is there enough villages along either the coastal route or inland route for this yo be possible?

You are able to walk short distancesr from Porto to Santiago Look at our blog
http://nel-en-albert-op-pelgrimreis.reismee.nl.
From Porto to Matosinhas 10 kms. Hostal accomodation...Mathosinhas to Vila Cha 10 kms hostal.... Vila Cha to Vila do Conde 8 kms. Hostals... Vila do Conde to Rates.. 14 kms. Albergue etc etc.......we even stopped 8 kms at a hostal in Teo before Santiago to walk the last day very easy. The only challenge is the day between Ponte deLima and Rubiaes . Climbing on a 500 meters high mountain at an off road track. There is no busstop on top. :) In that case Sillydolls advice to take a taxi in Ponte de Lima and skip that track is a great advice.
My blog is in Dutch but you can see the names of the places where we slept every night and we saw in between there were possibilities to spend the night. At the list my good friend Diogo and if you read more at this great forum, many others mentioned it. and of course in John Brierley's guide you can see many places in between. We passed many of them last year. It takes some organisation on beforehand and sometimes it is not a cheap solution, but it is possible. And it is great fun to sort it out so you are prepared when you set your first step on your way to Santiago. Have fun and bom caminho.

In addition we are now preparing our next camino Ingles from Ferrol in the north of Galicia .
The distances ar far too long per day for us but if you like have a look at the camino Ingles forum and you see how the forummembers work together to solve that problem for a group of walkers among others us to reduce the daily mileage. It is a great cooperation.

Last edited:
Good advice above.Just take a taxi or bus when needed.
If you are not restricted to Albergues,I have a spreadsheet on the Coastal route that I used September 2013.
If you want it then E me:- "jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk"

From Porto to Matosinhas 10 kms. Hostal accomodation...Mathosinhas to Vila Cha 10 kms hostal.... Vila Cha to Vila do Conde 8 kms. Hostals... Vila do Conde to Rates.. 14 kms. Albergue etc etc.......we even stopped 8 kms at a hostal in Teo before Santiago to walk the last day very easy. The only challenge is the day between Ponte deLima and Rubiaes . Climbing on a 500 meters high mountain at an off road track. There is no busstop on top. :) In that case Sillydolls advice to take a taxi in Ponte de Lima and skip that track is a great advice.
My blog is in Dutch but you can see the names of the places where we slept every night and we saw in between there were possibilities to spend the night. At the list my good friend Diogo and if you read more at this great forum, many others mentioned it. and of course in John Brierley's guide you can see many places in between. We passed many of them last year. It takes some organisation on beforehand and sometimes it is not a cheap solution, but it is possible. And it is great fun to sort it out so you are prepared when you set your first step on your way to Santiago. Have fun and bom caminho.

In addition we are now preparing our next camino Ingles from Ferrol in the north of Galicia .
The distances ar far too long per day for us but if you like have a look at the camino Ingles forum and you see how the forummembers work together to solve that problem for a group of walkers among others us to reduce the daily mileage. It is a great cooperation.

Our experiences
Porto -Matosinhos. 10 kms. Hostal Central
Matosinhos -Vila Cha. Cafe Tony 13 kms
Vila Cha - Vila do Conde 9 kms. ( eventuallly albergue in Póvoa da Varzím + 3 km
Vila do Conde has a tourst info ( we slept at a camping in a summerhouse for one night)
Vila do Conde -Rates 15 kms. Albergue
Rates -Barcelos. 16 kms we slept in a hotel but in Barcelinhos is an albuerge and differtent hostals around. If this distance is too long in Pedra Furada at 7 kms from Rates is a café that rents rooms
Barcelos -Vitorino de Piaes ca 19 kms. Casa da Fernanda. The best from the camino. Search for Casa da Fernanda at this forum and stay there ! If you haven't been at their home you miss something find out yourself !
Vitorino de Piaes -Ponte de Lma 13 kms. Albergue. But we slept in a hostal in the center
Ponte de Lima - Rubiaes 18 kms but steep climbing and decending on off road trail so my solution should be as it isa problem to skip this part and see if you will come by bus or taxi in Rubiaes
Where is an albergue. After decending after 8 hours walk we took the first hostal Sao Rogue ,3 km from Rubiaes. We were so tired ! It seems the hills at the camino Ingles are even worse. We will see:D
Rubiaes--Valença 19 kms. To Tui + 3 kms. In between no lodging possibility InValença different options In Tui is an albergue
Valença/Tui To Porriño 15 kms. Albergue and several hostals
Porriño- Redondela 15 kms. Albergue
Redondela -Pontevedra 18 kms several hostals. Eventually at 7 kms from Redondela some hostals
Pontevedra-Caldas de Reis 23 kms albergues and hotels but at 11 kms albergue nearby San Amaro andat 16 kms albergue in Rotonda
Caldas deReis -Padron. 18 kms. At 5 kms near Carrecedo parillada Antonio and at + 5 km hotel Mosteiro
Padron -Santiago 25 kms but at 11 kms albergue in Teo of we had a nice casa rural in Casalonga +3 kms casa Cruceiro.
Add the few extra albergues you'll findat the website of Vialusitana as being mentioned on this thread by my good friend Diogo and many others on earlier threads like Laurie ( peregrina 2000)

Does this suit you. ? Kms mentioned approximately. So with some improvisation you can walk steadily . Bom caminho

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you

Thank you for all the info. I will be getting that book in a few days. This is my first trip over seas and I want to be prepared as much as possible..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Our experiences
Porto -Matosinhos. 10 kms. Hostal Central
Matosinhos -Vila Cha. Cafe Tony 13 kms
Vila Cha - Vila do Conde 9 kms. ( eventuallly albergue in Póvoa da Varzím + 3 km
Vila do Conde has a tourst info ( we slept at a camping in a summerhouse for one night)
Vila do Conde -Rates 15 kms. Albergue
Rates -Barcelos. 16 kms we slept in a hotel but in Barcelinhos is an albuerge and differtent hostals around. If this distance is too long in Pedra Furada at 7 kms from Rates is a café that rents rooms
Barcelos -Vitorino de Piaes ca 19 kms. Casa da Fernanda. The best from the camino. Search for Casa da Fernanda at this forum and stay there ! If you haven't been at their home you miss something find out yourself !
Vitorino de Piaes -Ponte de Lma 13 kms. Albergue. But we slept in a hostal in the center
Ponte de Lima - Rubiaes 18 kms but steep climbing and decending on off road trail so my solution should be as it isa problem to skip this part and see if you will come by bus or taxi in Rubiaes
Where is an albergue. After decending after 8 hours walk we took the first hostal Sao Rogue ,3 km from Rubiaes. We were so tired ! It seems the hills at the camino Ingles are even worse. We will see:D
Rubiaes--Valença 19 kms. To Tui + 3 kms. In between no lodging possibility InValença different options In Tui is an albergue
Valença/Tui To Porriño 15 kms. Albergue and several hostals
Porriño- Redondela 15 kms. Albergue
Redondela -Pontevedra 18 kms several hostals. Eventually at 7 kms from Redondela some hostals
Pontevedra-Caldas de Reis 23 kms albergues and hotels but at 11 kms albergue nearby San Amaro andat 16 kms albergue in Rotonda
Caldas deReis -Padron. 18 kms. At 5 kms near Carrecedo parillada Antonio and at + 5 km hotel Mosteiro
Padron -Santiago 25 kms but at 11 kms albergue in Teo of we had a nice casa rural in Casalonga +3 kms casa Cruceiro.
Add the few extra albergues you'll findat the website of Vialusitana as being mentioned on this thread by my good friend Diogo and many others on earlier threads like Laurie ( peregrina 2000)

Does this suit you. ? Kms mentioned approximately. So with some improvisation you can walk steadily . Bom caminho
Thank you. This is something we are looking for.
The tips of places to stay is very helpful..

Thank you for all the info. I will be getting that book in a few days. This is my first trip over seas and I want to be prepared as much as possible..

You have an hostel just near the Airport and in the route to Santiago ;) AirPorto Hostel! (it's my own hostel, and we have a lot of pilgrims). But either way Bom Camino!

I am planning to start my Trek that time period and stay at the Airporto Hostel the day I arrive in Portugal. We may cross paths!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back