• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you attend mass and pilgrim blessing in Sahagun if not staying at Albergue de la Santa Cruz?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why would you not want to stay at Albergue De la Santa Cruz?

It is my all time favourite albergue. Real beds rather than bunks, room to myself, ensuite rooms and did I mention the fabulous staff and shared meal?

Absolutely! I've never stayed at the albergue but have worshipped with the good Madres Benedictinas several times. And the chapel is memorable -- not just for the sarcophagi of King Alfonso VI and his wives but also for its waaaay-over-the-top gold-slathered sanctuary!

(BTW -- I chipped in some $$$ to help with their plumbing problems. Hope it helped.)

1646082961379.png

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Absolutely. My wife and I went to Mass at the Albergue de la Santa Cruz in November just gone. We were staying at a hostel rural nearby. We had been walking with a pilgrim priest from France who told us about Mass at Santa Cruz.

Why would you not want to stay at Albergue De la Santa Cruz?
Because I wrote to them a month ago and did not receive a reply until this morning. In the meantime I booked at a different albergue. If I can stay at one place and attend mass at the other, I can give each some financial support after tough COVID years.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Because I wrote to them a month ago and did not receive a reply until this morning. In the meantime I booked at a different albergue. If I can stay at one place and attend mass at the other, I can give each some financial support after tough COVID years.
Right on! spread the money around they all need it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can attend any Mass and any blessing anywhere.

Almost but not quite. Two German pilgrims and I were turned away from a mass in a convent in (IIRC, but it was over 15 years ago) Los Arcos. It may have been an enclosed house, but I did not take notes on the name, so cannot be certain.

But your general point is well-taken. I have done far too many Caminos, and I have found that the Spanish are very pleased to see pilgrims joining them at worship and their quiet welcome is warm and genuine.

Edit: The Franciscan nuns in Los Arcos, quite close to the Austrian albergue.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In the slower season, the Marist Fathers who run the albergue at Santa Cruz celebrate the 6 p.m. Mass in the chapel right there in the albergue. No gold slatherings, but a beautiful 17th-c. Blessed Virgin image. They speak several languages, and will also hear confessions if called-upon. It's a real Christian oasis on the Way.

I think, they call it "Carta Peregrina" and you get it at the "Santuario de la Virgen Peregrina", a monastry from the 12th century, is a museum allthough.
I read recently on the forum that this had changed, and the half way certificate is available (for a few euros) at the Tourism Office in or next to the town hall.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back