• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you Buy DEET at places along Camino Francés ?

BruceS

Time of past OR future Camino
CF late 2020 or April 2021
I will treat my Sleep Liner with DEET before arriving at SJPdP ... however I will need to keep refreshing it as I travel for 40 days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will treat my Sleep Liner with DEET before arriving at SJPdP ... however I will need to keep refreshing it as I travel for 40 days.
Actually, DEET is not what is usually used to treat sleep liners. When people want to treat clothing and sleep liners they use permethrin. In fact, it's what manufacturers of "bug proof" clothing use. It's not something that you can spray inside an albergue around other people. (and please don't spray DEET inside an albergue either!) If you want to use permethrin, you must use it before you leave for the Camino. It needs to be sprayed in a well ventilated area (preferably outside), and you shouldn't touch the surfaces that you spray with bare skin until it is completely dried.

Here's one permethrin product

Last edited:
Thanks 'trecile'
I have found our PaddyPalin Sydney store carries a Permethrin Bug product. I will purchase it:cool:.
Buen Camino
BruceS

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks 'trecile'
I have found our PaddyPalin Sydney store carries a Permethrin Bug product. I will purchase it:cool:.
Buen Camino
BruceS
Perfect!

Buen Camino. I hope that you have a wonderful bedbug free time!

Actually, DEET is not what is usually used to treat sleep liners. When people want to treat clothing and sleep liners they use permethrin. In fact, it's what manufacturers of "bug proof" clothing use. It's not something that you can spray inside an albergue around other people. (and please don't spray DEET inside an albergue either!) If you want to use permethrin, you must use it before you leave for the Camino. It needs to be sprayed in a well ventilated area (preferably outside), and you shouldn't touch the surfaces that you spray with bare skin until it is completely dried.

Exactly the product I use. No odor, not oily and not sticky.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hate to bust your bubble, but permethrin does not repel bed bugs. It kills them, but it can take 12 hours or more of exposure before they die. https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/4/2/230
That's why I spray my sleep gear, inside my pack, and all my cloth stuff sacks. If they get into my pack I don't want them coming out alive!

That's why I spray my sleep gear, inside my pack, and all my cloth stuff sacks. If they get into my pack I don't want them coming out alive!
Me too. I figure they'll die on the long trip home!

I agree I do my sleeping bag, backpack, and a fitted sheet and have been safe I would use nothing else than Permethrin.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hate to bust your bubble, but permethrin does not repel bed bugs. It kills them, but it can take 12 hours or more of exposure before they die. https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/4/2/230

People keep saying this. However those of us who use it don’t generally have bedbug issues so maybe it’s just the power of the word but it appears to work. If I were not chemically sensitive I would also use an insect repellent on my skin at night. And like Trecile, I do not want to carry the bugs home

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
People keep saying this. However those of us who use it don’t generally have bedbug issues so maybe it’s just the power of the word but it appears to work. If I were not chemically sensitive I would also use an insect repellent on my skin at night. And like Trecile, I do not want to carry the bugs home
Hi Annie: Neither my wife nor I have ever used permethrin, and we haven't got bedbugs in an albergue. And many, many people I know have never used permethrin and have not gotten bedbugs either. So, I could just as well infer a causal relationship between NOT using permethrin and avoiding bedbugs. In fact, the only person who actually told me he got bedbugs (as opposed to a 3rd or 4th hand report of bedbugs) did use permethrin. Bottom line is that coicidence is not causality.

The journal I cited above is not of the "people say" variety. It's a peer-reviewed university-published scientific journal, which I found on the website of the National Institute of Health.

All that aside, you and Trecile and others are certainly right to recommennd it, because, in killing bedbugs, it clearly helps to stop their spread from albergue to albergue.

For me “Lemon Eucalyptus” oil for the body has worked well for all sorts of insects. Lemon Eucalyptus is a specific species not a combination of lemon & eucalyptus.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The journal I cited above is not of the "people say" variety. It's a peer-reviewed university-published scientific journal, which I found on the website of the National Institute of Health.
Peer reviewed and frequently misquoted: "Furthermore, significantly fewer bed bugs successfully fed to repletion through ActiveGuard fabric than through blank fabric for the five populations. With just 30 min of feeding exposure, mortality ranged from 4% to 83%, depending upon the bed bug strain. These laboratory studies indicate that ActiveGuard liners adversely affected bed bugs from diverse populations."

And while we're at it: "Lemon eucalyptus oil. ... The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have approved eucalyptus oil as an effective ingredient in mosquito repellent. A recent study showed that a mixture of 32 percent lemon eucalyptus oil provided more than 95 percent protection against mosquitoes for three hours." What don't say nuffin' about Bed bugs but anyone who wants the receipt its here: "Add around 30 drops of lemon eucalyptus oil to your mixing container, followed by one teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 4 ounces of witch hazel (you can also use rubbing alcohol, vodka, or cooking oil). Mix it all up and pour it into a spray bottle, and your homemade mosquito spray is ready..." Never mind Bed Bugs I think I'd be repelled by a Bunk mate who stank of Lemons, Cough Sweets, Vanilla and Alcohol or chip fryers.

So, in a spirit of sharing, here is my sure-fire solution. Drink 4 ounces of Orujo and you really won't care anymore.

There is so much Bed Bug debate on this forum - it has a dedicated page - that anyone with an hour or two to spare and an interest can access much valuable discussion and considerable scientific research. Pragmatists will probably be led to the conclusion that Avoidance (learn to recognize bug sign and leave) is better than ignorance; that using known effective Preventatives such as Permethrin and Deet is better than not and that, should you get bitten or your gear get infested then Treatment is essential if you don't want to share them out all down the line & then take them home with you.

Hi Annie: Neither my wife nor I have ever used permethrin, and we haven't got bedbugs in an albergue. And many, many people I know have never used permethrin and have not gotten bedbugs either. So, I could just as well infer a causal relationship between NOT using permethrin and avoiding bedbugs. In fact, the only person who actually told me he got bedbugs (as opposed to a 3rd or 4th hand report of bedbugs) did use permethrin. Bottom line is that coicidence is not causality.

The journal I cited above is not of the "people say" variety. It's a peer-reviewed university-published scientific journal, which I found on the website of the National Institute of Health

And the one time I did NOT use permethrin, out of over 20 Caminos, I DID get bitten. So go figure. 😊. To each his own.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
[QUOTE="andycohn, post: 829475, member: 19805"

[/QUOTE]

Is that the same national Institute of health that subscribes to the food pyramid with Roundup Ready grains on the wide base? Sadly, I can have no confidence in peer-reviewed journals unless I know who paid for the research.

I can have no confidence in peer-reviewed journals unless I know who paid for the research.
The study in question was funded by the makers of the treated fabric. That was clearly stated. The conclusions were that the fabric is "not repellent" but that the treated fabric slowed bed bugs in movement and feeding, and killed some if they were continuously exposed to the fabric.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The study in question was funded by the makers of the treated fabric. That was clearly stated. The conclusions were that the fabric is "not repellent" but that the treated fabric slowed bed bugs in movement and feeding, and killed some if they were continuously exposed to the fabric.
Yes. I hadn’t read the paper. Still haven’t. But I did see this:

“ We thank Allergy Technologies LLC for funding this study. This research was supported in part by State and Federal funds appropriated to the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, The Ohio State University.”

My point wasn’t about that. It was regarding the quote “peer reviewed.’ Anyway, I don’t really care. I like permethrin and feel it keeps the bugs from infesting my house so I’ll keep using it.

Im with Annie, I've been bitten (through carelessness) and they are really annoying, but I dont have a terrible reaction to them. as some do. But I dont want to take them home.
Its a long flight home to NZ - plenty of time for the permethrin to do its thing.
Its not hard to apply, and a bottle does several packs and sleeping bags. I only do the outside of sleeping bags, but I douse the pack very well, as they have little nooks and crannies that a bug could try and hide in..

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.