• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you get to valcarlos from Orisson?

joanhull

Time of past OR future Camino
9/13
Staying in St Jean night of September 2. Reservations at Orisson Sept 3 for walk to Roncesvalles. If the weather is too bad to cross on the Napoleon route is there anyway to get to the valcarlos route from Orisson or do you need to go back to St Jean and start over from there?
Thanks everyone for your help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is no easy direct way. Back to SJPdP is almost the only way. You may be able to get a taxi.
Thanks I was afraid of that. Hopefully the weather will be fine. Last time 2013 it was foggy. Hoping to see some vistas this time. Whatever happens there will be joy is starting the journey.

The map shows an intersection just before the cruciero marking the off-road section of the camino.

At the intersection follow the road northwest downhill to Valcarlos.

The intersection is 7 km uphill from Orisson at which point its same distance to Roncesvalles as Orisson. I don't know if it would confer any advantage in bad weather. There actually is more shelter on the camino in the trees after the cruciero.

Further, my observation is people that get into trouble on the Napoleon route are usually in trouble at the top of the hill at the end of the day and the real threat is hypothermia. If you're starting from Orisson you're less likely to be in the low energy state that leads to hypothermia and you won't be in the zone late in the day ... so not as much a matter of concern.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You probably already know all this but if not...it's 7 kms, all downhill, on a good track back towards SJPdP and then a fairly easy 12 kms to Valcarlos. There is some rise in elevation to Valcarlos but it's not steep and, if bad weather, it will be all road walking so good under foot. On your way out of town heading to Orisson, take note of where the turn off is for the Valcarlos route so that if you do have to retrace your steps you wont need to walk all the way into SJPdP.
It's after Valcarlos that it gets steep, should you choose not to stop and push on the next 12 kms to Roncesvalles. That would be quite a big day especially in bad weather. The attached elevation map comes courtesy of @sillydoll . I apologise for not knowing how to link to her original post but her elevation map is the best one I've seen because it shows both routes.
IMG_0988.JPG

Thank you all so much. I feel well equipped now with lots of options should I need them. You guys are terrific.

Google maps shows an option from Orisson to Valcarlos that uses the minor roads and tracks between the D428 and D933. It involves some backtracking from Orisson, won't be waymarked, and would probably be an hour or so quicker than returning to SJPP. It involves a little walking alongside the D933 before there is a side road that will get you back onto the waymarked path. That follows the minor roads 100 m or so further west of the D933 into Arneguy, and would be far safer than following the main road all the way.

I would sound a caution that even if there is a connected network of roads and walking paths, I don't have the local knowledge to say that they are going to be open for the general public to walk.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would sound a caution that even if there is a connected network of roads and walking paths, I don't have the local knowledge to say that they are going to be open for the general public to walk.
It is possible to follow the network of very small roads from Huntto to Arneguy using Google Street View. Looks like pleasant country lanes. I think that if the Google camera car can make it along them then it is probably walkable too.

In early Sept, what type of weather would make it necessary to take the other route?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks I was afraid of that. Hopefully the weather will be fine. Last time 2013 it was foggy. Hoping to see some vistas this time. Whatever happens there will be joy is starting the journey.

Say hello to those Beautiful Cavallos up in the mountains as you pass by. If they are on the path, do not be afraid. Stay on the path and sing a quiet song. They will move for you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Staying in St Jean night of September 2. Reservations at Orisson Sept 3 for walk to Roncesvalles. If the weather is too bad to cross on the Napoleon route is there anyway to get to the valcarlos route from Orisson or do you need to go back to St Jean and start over from there?
Thanks everyone for your help.

In April I had to be rescued because of an injury. The cab took me from Orisson to Roncesvalles. We did not go back to SJPdP. we crossed ust below Orisson. It is far but doable. This is a link on google maps showing the route. Check the weather and if it is bad...don't go the Napolean route out of SJPdP. Cancel your reservations at Orisson and go the Valcarlos route.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ref...c692550dd!2m2!1d-1.3017452!2d43.0916034?hl=en

If the reason for abandoning the Napoleon is bad weather, then I'd be cautious about striking out cross country on unknown roads and tracks. Think of those two who became disoriented last year and wandered around for a couple of days before being rescued. As I understand it Orisson does not charge if a reservation is cancelled because the Napoleon is closed. If all looks good when you leave SJPDP but the weather closes in overnight, best to rely on help from the owners at Orisson who can arrange transport to get you to Valcarlos, Roncesvalles or to go back to SJPDP.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If the reason for abandoning the Napoleon is bad weather, then I'd be cautious about striking out cross country on unknown roads and tracks. Think of those two who became disoriented last year and wandered around for a couple of days before being rescued. As I understand it Orisson does not charge if a reservation is cancelled because the Napoleon is closed. If all looks good when you leave SJPDP but the weather closes in overnight, best to rely on help from the owners at Orisson who can arrange transport to get you to Valcarlos, Roncesvalles or to go back to SJPDP.
Exactly!
I would stay on the tarmac road (or at least retrace to it) or even try to walk it to Gite Eskitza, which is on the same road (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ref...0fd3f9aa256d!2m2!1d-1.288516!2d43.07345?hl=en) 2-3 hours walking away.
I was a competitive swimmer, boy scout, trained shooting, basketball, skiing etc. and later a climber so consider myself really as an expert but both times I crossed from SJPdP to Roncesvalles (on both ways) I had all of the weather elements except snow. And it wasn't all that easy walking in sleet and driving rain ;) The only real thing you really have to be careful of is fog. That's a killer! Retrace then because it's so much easier to find your way back on the path you've already been walking than to find your way into the unknown.

Not to mention enough water, appropriate clothing etc. Again, enough water keeps your body and MIND working OK!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Say hello to those Beautiful Cavallos up in the mountains as you pass by. If they are on the path, do not be afraid. Stay on the path and sing a quiet song. They will move for you.
On my first Camino I met no one at all while walking between St Jean and Roncesvalles. When I reached the border there was a horse standing beside the remains of the old fence. I waved my passport at it but it took no notice. So I just walked on into Spain :)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.