• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can You Give Me An Estimate? :/

Choweth

How long should I allow from the time I arrive in Paris to departing from Portugal? I want to visit Paris for a day, continue to Saint Jean. Then to Santiago. Then Finisterre and Muxia. Then visit Portugal for 3 days. Also enjoying myself for 2 days during Holy Week somewhere in Spain.

What happens as far as my plane ticket if I don't allow myself enough time?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Eight weeks.

What happens with your air ticket will depend on the airline. As a rule, the more flexible tickets are more expensive.

Peronel said:
Eight weeks.

What happens with your air ticket will depend on the airline. As a rule, the more flexible tickets are more expensive.

I'm sure it's a silly question but how do you know if one is more flexible than another? I've never flown more than Texas to California. (;

Candace

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My advice is get a calendar (I just printed out some pages from iCalendar!) and literally plot day to day. The only guess work should be how long the Camino takes. For most people, it's between about 32-37 days from SJPP to Santiago. Leave a few days extra incase you find yourself sick or injured.

I ended up changing my flight for this upcoming Camino because I panicked about the price of my flight going up and didn't really sit down and plot it out properly before I booked. My flight change was $100 but it was because it was a student fare, and I had a very limited number of different days I could change it to, but luckily it worked out. I added 6 days on to allow for the unpredictable. For me, I'd rather have more time and possibly ending up having a few days to kill than to be rushed, so I left more cushion time. For example, I want to walk to Finisterre, but may not be able to walk it; last time I had severe tendonitis and therefore knew I shouldn't attempt it. So I had to make the judgment call of whether to leave the extra time incase I can walk it and risk having more days than I need, or to not leave that time. You'll have to make the same sort of decisions for yourself. :) Good luck!

Lindsey

Choweth said:
Peronel said:
Eight weeks.

I'm sure it's a silly question but how do you know if one is more flexible than another? I've never flown more than Texas to California. (;

Candace

Try going through a travel agent. It was actually cheaper for me to do that than to buy my ticket online, despite any fee they might have added on. They'll know all the ins and outs of flexible tickets and can give you some handy tips, even if you don't end up buying from them!

Choweth said:

Candace

The airlines terms and conditions will be on it's website. Some tickets can't be changed. You want to fly on a different day? Tough. Buy another ticket. Often, these are the cheapest.

Some can be changed, if there's availability, and if you pay a fee (a couple of hundred dollars would be typical) plus the difference between the price at time of booking and the current price.

Some are open tickets, which you can change as you like. But these are often very much more expensive.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lise sounds like a good plan to me.

There are times when keeping it simple is best.

There is a bus that goes directly from SdC to Porto and is cheaper than the train. Alsa I believe are the agents for the company who run it. You can book online or go to their kiosk in the main bus station.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I plan on flying from BOS into CDG via DBL, have 72 hour layover in Paris (jetlag and see the city), then train to SJPP via Bayonne or Bordeaux. I'm thinking of planning on 40 days walking, then fly back to Boston via DBL (assuming I can get a cheap connector from SDC).

Buen Camino
:cool: WanderingChristian :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Check your flights here:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You are going to have an idea, what connections you have to get. Once you find what do you need, copy the information and give it to travel agent.

YOU CAN NOT BUY TICKETS HERE (YOU ARE NOT A TRAVEL AGENT). IT IS ONLY FOR INFORMATION

Also enjoying myself for 2 days during Holy Week somewhere in Spain.

Choweth, I noticed that you posted this yesterday, April 2nd. Holy Week was this past week, with yesterday being Easter celebrating the resurrection of Christ. This concludes the 40 days of Lent.
There are many religious holidays in Spain, some important national Catholic celebrations would be Corpus Christi & St. John the Baptist coming up in June. Hopefully along the Camino you'll find yourself in some local traditional celebrations!

Ultreia!

Mary

manoll said:
Also enjoying myself for 2 days during Holy Week somewhere in Spain.

Choweth, I noticed that you posted this yesterday, April 2nd. Holy Week was this past week, with yesterday being Easter celebrating the resurrection of Christ. This concludes the 40 days of Lent.
There are many religious holidays in Spain, some important national Catholic celebrations would be Corpus Christi & St. John the Baptist coming up in June. Hopefully along the Camino you'll find yourself in some local traditional celebrations!

Ultreia!

Mary
Sorry, I guess I should have specified. I meant next year. I know it's a while from now but I'm just getting an idea so I can begin to plan because I have a lot to figure out! :)

{Candace}

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah! Well of course, Candace, that makes a whole lot of sense! :oops: I should have figured it out. You, like me are planning way ahead of time and doing all your research. This forum is a gift for those of us who are Pilgrims. Whatever your questions/doubts are, there is a breadth of information here from many experienced and knowledgeable pilgrims :)
May you have much excitement and enjoyment on your pilgrimage on the Camino next year as you will in all of your planning in the upcoming months!

Ultreia!

Mary

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back